THE TOTALLY UNOFFICIAL AAPK COOKBOOK

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
zp4ja

Re: THE TOTALLY UNOFFICIAL AAPK COOKBOOK

Post by zp4ja »

Easy cook today. 15 non pre-cooked sausages. Pecan pellets. 10 are chili and smoked paprika from maker. Added Meat Church Holy Gospel rub. 5 are hot Italians sausages with Meat Church Holy Cow. (they one with more pepper lower right)

Packages that you need a hand grenade to get into or a trusty CASE XX 6235.

Jerry
Attachments
20220905_132034.jpg
20220905_131504.jpg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

About a 3 hour cook. Tasty...

Happy Labor Day!

Jerry
Attachments
20220905_160407.jpg
20220905_155244.jpg
20220905_154350.jpg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Chuck roast burnt ends today and one roast just smoked and sliced.

Super moist. Beef gold.

Jerry
Attachments
20220918_184430.jpg
20220918_152255.jpg
20220918_151857.jpg
20220918_151312.jpg
20220918_145441.jpg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Wow, Jerry! You’re making my mouth water again, if it tastes just half as good as it looks, it must be great!
Nevada is a long way from Starvation Plantation but I believe food like this would justify the trip.
Keep posting your great looking work. ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Thanks TF.

I love chuck/pot roast as it cooks in less time than brisket due to obviously cut size. It mimics brisket if cooked properly.

Burnt ends from brisket or chuck, according to most tasters, is melt in your mouth beef. Beef gold. Normally served with toothpicks. Over smoked mac, you got a meal.

Love cooking and sharing the bounty. Something I am not bad at and enjoy the share mostly.

EDIT: Get the Meat Church rub. Holy Gospel. Used on the ends. Caramelizes when cooked. Used Meat Church Holy Cow (has more pepper) on the sliced chuck. Really good rub. Only rubs I use when I don't use my own.

Regards, Jerry
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Just roasted some beetroot in olive oil, now marinating it in lemon juice, will have later for lunch with some pickled red cabbage and homemade chicken burgers. ::tounge:: ::tounge:: ::tounge::
IMG_20220922_102850.jpg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

cudgee,
Be sure to post a picture of the homemade chicken burgers. Are they just ground chicken, any particular piece or whole chicken boned out?
The roasted beets look interesting, not something we’re familiar with at Starvation Plantation.
Treefarmer

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

treefarmer wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:17 am cudgee,
Be sure to post a picture of the homemade chicken burgers. Are they just ground chicken, any particular piece or whole chicken boned out?
The roasted beets look interesting, not something we’re familiar with at Starvation Plantation.
Treefarmer
You will have to wait till i cook up some more, cannot take photos inside my stomach. They are minced chicken, with some grated vegetables, today i used carrot and zucchini with some herbs and spices. Really nice with the beets, pickled red cabbage and cold roast potato's left over from last night. ::nod::
Xaye

Post by Xaye »

I discovered a few months ago the recipe for stuffed cabbage rolls baked in homemade tomato sauce.
Ingredients Needed:
1. Olive oil
2. Onion
3. Garlic
4. Crushed tomatoes
5. Tomato sauce
6. Tomato paste
7. Salt and pepper
8. Brown sugar
9. Red wine vinegar
10. Worcestershire sauce
11. Dried Italian herbs

For cabbage rolls:
1. Lean ground beef
2. Cooked rice
3. Onion powder
4. Garlic
5. Seasonings
6. Worcestershire sauce
7. Fresh parsley
8. Egg
9. A whole head of cabbage

As you see, the recipe is overfilled with fibers, protein, and carbs, thus it will be the most delicious and nourishing dinner for a big company.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Having some sausages " Snags " for breakfast. ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: ::sotb:: ::tu::
IMG_20221006_083932.jpg
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Nice cudgee! I really want to do canning/ pickling.

I put this 16# full packer on at 8pm last night. 9.5 hours ago. IT (internal temperature) at 134 F just now. Smoker temperature was 165 F.
From my research, when smoking meat, it stops absorption of smoke at 140 IT.
Bumped to 200 F smoker temp just now. Peach paper wrap at 160 F IT before the stall. Target final IT at 195 to 198 F. Then three hour rest in closed dry YETI wrapped in towels until carving after long 3 to 4 hour rest.

Total cook time about 17 to 24 hours.

Have a great day.

Jerry
Attachments
20221008_051754.jpg
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Hey Jerry, great looking grub!
Hope things are well with you and yours, it sure looks like you are eating well, and that means alot!
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Hey Mike.

Been awhile since we touched base.

Hope the best in life for you and yours as well.

Take care my Friend!

She hit 160 IT at 12.5 hours. Just peach paper wrapped and back on for another 7 to 10 hours. Long stall now on this piece of meat. Will sweat for 4 or 5 hours before IT starts rising again...

I am eating well but as a single man, most goes to others that I support at work, First Responders. All the way down the line to anyone involved in their support. God bless them all. My way of showing my gratitude.

Jerry
Attachments
20221008_083055.jpg
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Pulled out one of my Cast Iron pans, they are like knives need to be used. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::nod:: Other item may be a look into the future. ::ds::
IMG_20221009_174922.jpg
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

The bounty from the 24 hour cook yesterday. About 13 pounds (post cook weight) of smoked brisket.
CASE XX 6235 Red Bone at 3-3/8" for size reference.

Thinking today will be chuck roast on smoker for burnt ends, football, dogs playing, beer and sunshine.

Jerry
Attachments
20221009_105857.jpg
20221008_235243.jpg
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

3 chuck roast for Poor Man's Burnt Ends. About 2.5 pounds each.

Added 2 pic before cubing and oven...

Third pic added just now. 3 large bowls of beef gold. Burnt Ends.
Attachments
20221009_130846.jpg
20221009_162520.jpg
20221010_002920.jpg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Oscar asked a question the other morning in the 1st Cup Diner about boiled peanuts. I suppose boiled peanuts are more of a regional thing, mostly in the states producing the ground nuts. We bought a bag today from a local producer, 30 pounds of washed raw peanuts, ready for boiling. Boiled peanuts are a big deal at the local high school football games. Usually, the FFA chapter will boil them on Fridays as a class project, as a fund raiser to sell at the game.
A few pictures of our peanut boiling today. We'll continue working on them tomorrow, about 3 quarts at a time, boiling for a couple of hours.
Attachments
30# bag of peanuts being inspected by the crew.
30# bag of peanuts being inspected by the crew.
1st boil of the day, a cup of salt and enough water to cover the peanuts.
1st boil of the day, a cup of salt and enough water to cover the peanuts.
Checking the pot.
Checking the pot.
Boil a little longer, add a bit more salt.
Boil a little longer, add a bit more salt.
Finished product, ready to eat or put in freezer bags.
Finished product, ready to eat or put in freezer bags.
2nd batch under way.
2nd batch under way.
An afterthought since this is a knife forum, I used my Camillus Marlinspike to undo the secure tight knot that secured the draw string on the bag.
An afterthought since this is a knife forum, I used my Camillus Marlinspike to undo the secure tight knot that secured the draw string on the bag.
Quart freezer bag ready for the freezer.
Quart freezer bag ready for the freezer.

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

treefarmer wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:28 am Oscar asked a question the other morning in the 1st Cup Diner about boiled peanuts. I suppose boiled peanuts are more of a regional thing, mostly in the states producing the ground nuts. We bought a bag today from a local producer, 30 pounds of washed raw peanuts, ready for boiling. Boiled peanuts are a big deal at the local high school football games. Usually, the FFA chapter will boil them on Fridays as a class project, as a fund raiser to sell at the game.
A few pictures of our peanut boiling today. We'll continue working on them tomorrow, about 3 quarts at a time, boiling for a couple of hours.
They look very interesting. Your 4 legged mates also think so. :lol:
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Really good looking burnt ends Jerry, I could definitely settle into a bowl of those,, maybe with some crusty French bread or some cornbread.

Phillip thanks for posting the boiled peanut procedure, definitely not something we have up here in Wisconsin. Our peanuts are usually roasted and salted, which I love. There used to be a restaurant, mini chain, called The Ground Round here, where every table had a big basket of peanuts on the table, and you just threw the shells on the floor when you were done. Crunch crunch everywhere you walked. Kinda their thing. I think there is still one location but they don't allow the shells on the floor anymore. I thought it was fun as a kid.
Do they have Five Guys burger joints down by you? Very expensive, but tasty, and they have complimentary roasted in the shell peanuts too.
Seems to me the boiled ones would be soft, is that right? You eat the shells too?
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Mike, the boiled ones are somewhere between soft or a very slight crunch. They are a messy thing, to open a boiled peanut you simply mash it between the thumb and forefinger, it will then reveal the natural seam and then finish by opening it. Sometimes they squirt water when you squeeze them. Therin lies the messy part; it runs down your forearms, plenty of napkins should be available. They can be served hot right out of the salted water or cold. The shell/hull is discarded. The pups in the picture will eat the boiled peanuts and they will eat the empty shells. We don't feed them a lot, but they seem to enjoy them.
A big get-together with boiled peanuts is usually held in the back yard using a big pot and a fish cooker, turkey fryer size and up, to do a large amount. The finished product is then ladled into a Styrofoam cup and eaten while visiting with the other attendees.
Sometimes the boiled peanuts are seasoned with various seasonings other than straight salt, Cajun flavored, those cooked with a piece of salt pork, etc. we only do the salted type. There are usually roadside stands selling boiled peanuts during the harvest time.
There is a Five Guys Burger joint on 23rd Street in Panama City, been there but don't recall anything about peanuts. Could have been but being old is one of my excuses for not remembering. :)
Treefarmer

TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Found some Ringless Honey Mushrooms yesterday.
Harvested and cooked!!
Attachments
20221012_095153.jpg
20221012_095214.jpg
20221012_145417.jpg
20221012_151457.jpg
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Over a bowl of smoked mac and cheese Mike is my preference. Bread works as well. Done both and even as toothpick appetizer.

Great pics and articulation of the process Phillip! Never done them myself but appreciate the tutorial!

Jerry
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Smoked chuck before wrap. Mac and Cheese in pot and oven this time.

Jerry
Attachments
20221017_153125.jpg
20221017_145709.jpg
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Jerry,
You always make me hungry. Good stuff you whip up!
I wanted to advise that the show I did this weekend was in Taylor, Texas, home of Louie Mueller BBQ. I consider this to be the best BBQ around here. The Bride and decided we would stop in and splurge for some brisket. The line wasn't too long and while waiting, I checked the posted prices and lo and behold, brisket was $32/lb. I expected it to be high but Holy Cow! I told the bride I wasn't good for that big of a splurge so we pulled out went to a fish joint there.
I have loved and enjoyed BBQ for years but I had to draw the line on that.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Hey Ray. Hope you and your bride are well!

I have spoke with a few Texans and former Texans. I understand uncooked brisket at the store to be relatively inexpensive at 1 or 2 bucks a pound (before the Biden slow moving train wreck). It is $4.99 per pound here for high grade meat. What is cost at the local butcher per pound?

The price you stated is way ridiculous and I would have walked as well.
Sounds like alot of meat in the trash based on overpriced.
My butcher had filet mignon at 38 bucks a pound during the Covid meat price spike. That meat just rotted since even someone whom could easily afford it was not going to.

Take care. Jerry

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”