Are There Any BASEBALL Fans On The Forum?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
CheckSix

Re: Are There Any BASEBALL Fans On The Forum?

Post by CheckSix »

Truth is... the Cubs pitching this year, is not what it was last year. We don't have Super Arrieta any more, just regular Arrieta... and Lester is off a bit. Lackey is done, Quintana is off and on and that leaves the only, great pitcher... Kyle Hendricks. He's on the bump tonight. With a spotty starting rotation, it puts a lot of pressure on the bullpen and that is where the rub is.

The other issue is... the Cubs have got to get the offense going again. Tonight is a must win game at Wrigley. There are 5 games left, the Cubs need to win 4 of them to move on. One of them will be back in LA. A steep hill to climb but it can be done.
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Dave, your analyzation of the situation is spot on. These are not the comeback kids from last year.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Cubs have a challenge tonight against Darvish. FWIW here's my scouting report:

He's got tremendous, nasty stuff and at least a half-dozen different pitches. His slider is wicked. He changes speeds on his pitches as well or better than anybody in the game. But he can be beat, especially if you let him beat himself.

His fatal flaw is his own ego. He doesn't just want to get hitters out - he wants to strike them out. It's like he's daring them to even make contact. His pitches have so much movement on them that they often break outside the strike zone, so if the batter won't swing they're called balls. Resulting in high pitch counts and lots of walks. Then he has to groove one. Even though his fastball is mid- to upper-90s, that's gonna get blasted by major league hitters, especially when they're ahead in the pitch count and looking for a fastball. So he is also prone to giving up homers in the first couple of innings.

When he was with the Rangers the coaches continually tried to get him to cut down on the different type of pitches he throws (he has ability to throw at least 8 different pitches, all capable of being MLB quality) and focus on only 3 or 4 of them. I had to laugh the other night when the genius announcing the game said "since Darvish has come over to the Dodgers they have been trying to get hm to cut down on his arsenal of pitches." :lol: As if that is something new! ::doh::

In his career with the Rangers it was typical for Darvish to go into the 6th inning of a game having 10 strikeouts, 4 or 5 walks, and only giving up 3 hits. All while having thrown about 90 pitches. In the past that worked out. This year the Rangers bullpen couldn't hold a lead for him after he left the game. If he's on, which means he controls his pitches to breaking into the strike zone and settling on letting hitters make weak contact, the Cubs hitters are in for a long night, and a lot of strikeouts.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Mumbleypeg wrote:he is also prone to giving up homers in the first couple of innings.
Ken, you called the homer off Darvish in the first inning. If you had predicted Darvish would get an RBI I would be asking you for betting tips :)

Maybe the outcome would have been different if the Cubs had managed to score a couple more runs in the first when they had men on base. It seems improbable that the Cubs can win 4 in a row at this point.
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

One W down, just 3 more to go! Go Cubs! :lol: (optimistic aren't I?)

Maybe the Cubs batters with another closely spaced look at Kershaw, can get to him tonight. Quintana is going to have to have a stellar performance for 8 innings.
NRA Life/Endowment
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

CheckSix wrote: (optimistic aren't I?)
You are. This ain't 2016. ::facepalm::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

And.... top of the 3rd.... the Cubs pitching does us in. Stick a fork in it.
NRA Life/Endowment
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

See ya next year Dave.

Dodgers and Yankees in the World Delirious.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Yep boys, looks like we're done.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Look at the bright side, the Dodgers' pitcher at least has a good name, Kershaw. ::hmm::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Grump01
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Grump01 »

I thought you guys said it was the Yankee's and the Dodger's in the World Delirious ¿ ? ¿ ? ::shrug::
Don
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I was prognosticating Don and I got it wrong. Using reverse phycology and it worked. Yankees all looked so sad at the end of the game, I giggled like a school girl.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::ds:: Go Astros, beat the Bums! ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Do not like this pairing, Houston and LA. Being an NL guy, I gotta root for LA but I won't like it. Maybe Utley will play a bit just for old times sake. Have to watch and enjoy, no more BB til spring.
steve99f
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Steve, just pretend the Astros are still in the NL. That's what I'm going to do. It's not that I dislike the Dodgers. I was a Dodger fan before they moved to L.A. but the A**holes have never won the big one and I have a tendency to root for the underdog.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I will be inclined to watch a series that is devoid of NYY more so than not. Astros and Dodgers will be a good match up. Two very good teams! Cubbies my condolences! :|
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I will be sad when baseball season is over because there will be nothing to watch on TV until next spring. Normally I would watch football but I refuse to condone their lack of patriotism and their self-imposed victimhood.
The timing stinks because my wife just retired and we were thinking about going to Seattle to watch a football game. I guess we'll wait until next summer and go to Seattle to watch the Mariners!
So I will have a lot more time on the weekends this winter.
Maybe I will spend it in the shop working on knives. :mrgreen:
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Being a life long Red Sox fan, watching the Yankees go home last night was glorious! That is all.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Grump01
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Grump01 »

bestgear wrote:Being a life long Red Sox fan, watching the Yankees go home last night was glorious! That is all.
That would be Classically Great ::ds::
Don
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Dale, no need to miss football at all. There's plenty of alternatives. Just pick a college team (or two) to adopt and follow. I watch at least one college game every week try to attend a couple of college games every year. In person the college traditions, pre-game and during game festivities and general atmosphere are totally unmatched by the NFL anyway.

And while not on television, I try to attend a high school game every week. Great football and sportsmanship, no dancing in the end zone or other foolishness, and just a few bucks for admission. In fact here the school gives senior citizens a pass good for free admission, and it's honored by all teams in their conference. ::tu::

Tom I agree, any day the damnYankees lose is a great day!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Ken I noticed on one of the college shows yesterday they were pointing out recent instances where one school or another's band upheld traditional anthems or fight songs for service universities maybe making a little hay at the NFL's expense ,ya think? ::nod::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

gsmith7158 wrote:Ken I noticed on one of the college shows yesterday they were pointing out recent instances where one school or another's band upheld traditional anthems or fight songs for service universities maybe making a little hay at the NFL's expense ,ya think? ::nod::
You're right! I guarantee most of them have gone to school on the NFL miseries resulting from their debacle, and want no part if it. In the past couple of months I've witnessed MLB and college football teams being much more disciplined in how their team lines up and respectfully stands at attention for the flag, with hands over hearts. It's obvious someone has given specific instruction on how they will line up and stand as a team. Around here at least it's pretty much always been that way at high school games.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Looking forward to a Dodgers v. Astros series! ::ds::
I don't have a dog in this fight, and I am a NL guy, but I think I'm gonna root for Houston.
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

About the only thing I liked about the Yankees was they were clean shaven. Didn't look like bums. What a breath of fresh air. Don't get me wrong, well trimmed facial hair looks good if you roll that way. But what some of these athlete's are sportin' hasn't seen a pair of scissors in a while. That one player for the Dodgers, Jason Turner, is the poster boy. Rant over.

Jerryd, ya talked me into it. I can root for the 'stro's. They used to be NL. Besides, was a time when the Phils got some of our best players from them, thank you very much. ::tu::
steve99f
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Not over but it ain't looking good for Houston at the start of the 7th. C'mon Astros!
steve99f

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”