Are There Any BASEBALL Fans On The Forum?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
steve99f

Re: Are There Any BASEBALL Fans On The Forum?

Post by steve99f »

Plus 1 on the DH being an abomination.

And I don't like batting gloves either. :x Pine tar used to be good enough. All I see out of it is the incessant fiddling with the damn things at the plate.

There, I feel better now.
steve99f
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

steve99f wrote:Plus 1 on the DH being an abomination.
Plus 783 on that issue. Baseball is a simple game where you throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Pitchers in the American League aren't doing their job completely. Bunch of coddled, powder puff baby, namby pambies. Actually, I think pitchers in the National League should take a little (or a lot as the case warrants) more batting practice. The iconic Babe Ruth is remembered more for his hitting than he is for his pitching.

Rant suspended pending rebuttles. :mrgreen:
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

One of my favorite Top 5 things in MLB, is when a pitcher gets a key hit or HR during a game and helps his own cause. I forget what game it was last year during the season but Jon Lester for the Cubs laid down a perfect bunt and I was just thrilled that he executed it so well. Better than the normal "batters" could do.

I found it! This was freaking awesome!! It was against the Mariners last year. In the 12th, Lester lays down the perfect bunt and J-Hey scores for the walk-off win.
Here it is....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abx7Ua8UnNU
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Y'all are reminding me of the days when the great Bob Gibson often pinch hit, pinch ran, and even on occasion played in the field. His lifetime batting average despite very little BP was .206. If you pay any attention to modern statistics, his lifetime WAR as a hitter hitter was 8.0 (as a pitcher it was 89!). If he hadn't been one of the premier pitchers ever, he could easily have been a position player.

I'm no fan of the DH either. But it's only a matter of time before the DH will be universal. Follow the money. ::tear::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

One of my favorite mantras Ken, "It's all about the money". Splain to me why the DH is related to money. I'm not real bright and often 'don't get it'.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

MLB has us by the short ones.

I'm sure many AL fans hated the DH when it was rolled out. But as a fan, what choice is left, switch to a NL team? Not too likely. Could be done in NY, Chicago or LA but that's it.

If it happens as Ken predicts, we'll be in the same boat as fans of NL teams, no choice but to stay tuned or tune out.
steve99f
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

jerryd6818 wrote:One of my favorite mantras Ken, "It's all about the money". Splain to me why the DH is related to money. I'm not real bright and often 'don't get it'.
The players union wants it because it adds a starting position. And employment for older guys, that can still hit but no longer play their positions as well, to keep making big bucks. See Carlos Beltran, Albert Pujols, etc for examples. Without the DH many players would be either unemployed or religated to occassional pinch hitter duty (at a significantly reduced salary). Also gives a starting position to younger players who can hit and run but aren't good gloves/arms. The Rangers' Delino DeShields.

The owners like it because it reduces chances of pitchers, who represent some of their biggest investments, getting hurt while batting and running the bases. They don't want their $15M pitcher pulling a hamstring or tearing a ligament while running or sliding, or getting hit while batting.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Interesting game today so far at Tropicana Field. Cowboy Joe ejected Lastros manager Hinch in 2nd inning for questioning batters interference call at home plate. The call was made by the home plate ump. Cowboy Joe is the 2nd base ump. ::shrug::

Then later with the score tied at 1, the Rangers' Joey Gallo hit a moonshot to right field that should have been his 37th home run this year. Based on exit velocity and launch angle, Statcast protection was it would've traveled 405 feet. But it hit a catwalk near the roof and ricocheted straight down, landing in front of the right fielder, for a double. ::shrug:: My understanding of the ground rules there is, if the fielder had caught it, it would have been an out! Fortunately the Lastro right fielder had run back toward the wall so was in no position to catch the ball.

Lastros later pushed across a run and now lead 2-1, bottom of the 7th.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Y'all are reminding me of the days when the great Bob Gibson often pinch hit, pinch ran, and even on occasion played in the field. His lifetime batting average despite very little BP was .206. If you pay any attention to modern statistics, his lifetime WAR as a hitter hitter was 8.0 (as a pitcher it was 89!). If he hadn't been one of the premier pitchers ever, he could easily have been a position player.
Ken
Bob Gibson's 1968 season was amazing:
34 Games Started
28 Complete Games - you'll never see this again
13 Complete Game shutouts
1.12 ERA
0.85 WHIP
.184 batting average against

At the All-Star games, Bob would not fraternize with the players from the other NL teams. When asked why, Bob said that he didn't want to "go soft" on somebody in case the time came when he needed to drill them with a fastball.

As a young boy in the late 1960's I went on a grade school trip to the St. Louis zoo. In the reptile house there were several glass cased exhibits holding dangerous venomous snakes. There was a note affixed to the glass that said something like "this glass has been tested against a Bob Gibson fastball and it didn't break". That's all a young boy needed to see to stick his nose right on the glass and look at the snakes.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I went to the Astrodome in 1968 to see Gibson pitch. He did not disappoint. He threw a 3-hit complete game shutout against Houston that night. As I recall he went on to throw 5 consecutive complete game shutouts after that. Our seats were behind home plate in the second level, and I remember commenting at the time his fastball looked like a BB!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Cubs now 5-1 over the Braves at Wrigley, going into the 7th.

Now 6-2, top of the 9th.

Cubs Win! Pitching was great!
NRA Life/Endowment
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Yes, quite pleased with that game. Now if they could just do it three more times................. 1320 start time for the next three games.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

jerryd6818 wrote:Yes, quite pleased with that game. Now if they could just do it three more times................. 1320 start time for the next three games.
Rahm's rules. Must obey. :wink:
NRA Life/Endowment
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Man! I hesitate to say anything about the Cubs. I don't want to put a ripple into the matrix.

The dang Brewers are playing great. They won a 1-0 game against the Nats... how improbable was that?!?

I'll be watching Lester today, with great interest.
NRA Life/Endowment
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

If Lackey can do as well as he did yesterday, Lester The Molester should be fine (my heart is in my throat).
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Rivera just earned his paycheck! ::tu::

Rut-Roh!! Lester is now throwing HR pitches.

Man!! Rizzo is just on fire at the plate! Hits a bases loaded Triple, gets 3 RBI's and has 100 RBI's for the season now. He had 109 last year. In the last 7 games, he is hitting 0.480 !!

14-12... Final score over the Braves. (ya, 26 runs total... can you say: Little League score?)
To sum it up... the Cubs offense, luckily outperformed their very poor pitching and questionable defense. My goodness this was hard to watch!
NRA Life/Endowment
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Let's hope Montgomery can prevail tomorrow. And come on Nationals. For Pete's sake, get it in gear. Cubs are doing their part, now you need to hold up your end. :x
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

the Nats came through! 4.5 games up.
NRA Life/Endowment
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Well the Braves strategy worked again. Let the opposing team wear themselves out by letting them score all the runs they want in the first two or three games of the series,then take em out in the finale. :D Thanks for throwing us a bone Cubbies.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Three outta four is better than the Cubs had been doing. There's no time to cry over one loss. Gotta move East and get ready for four with the Pirates. The Pirates are always a pain in the tuchus for the Cubs.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Greg,
Your Braves looked really good today! and yesterday too!
NRA Life/Endowment
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Yeah, they gave the Cubs quite a drubbing today.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Greg, it's time for Cowboys and Indians! :lol: The way the Rangers have been playing recently, the way to beat them has been to hope you can get to their bullpen without being so far behind that you can't catch them. They've been scoring runs and getting big leads, but their bullpen is horrible - no lead is safe! ::facepalm::

Sorry you'll miss getting to watch Adrian Beltre. He's out with a strained hamstring.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Greg, it's time for Cowboys and Indians! :lol: The way the Rangers have been playing recently, the way to beat them has been to hope you can get to their bullpen without being so far behind that you can't catch them. They've been scoring runs and getting big leads, but their bullpen is horrible - no lead is safe! ::facepalm::

Sorry you'll miss getting to watch Adrian Beltre. He's out with a strained hamstring.

Ken
Wow Ken Beltre gone leaves a big hole to fill. The Braves are in training mode at the moment. I've never heard of some of these guys that have been playing lately so you never know what you're gonna get. One game under .500 at the all star break and they have gone south since then. I think the fans are really getting a belly full of this management's constant rebuilding strategy. Ah well another wait till next year.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

oh man! Jake goes down in the 3rd with a leg injury. Not good!
NRA Life/Endowment

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”