Are There Any BASEBALL Fans On The Forum?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Are There Any BASEBALL Fans On The Forum?

Post by gsmith7158 »

The Braves did not lose today! ::groove::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

1 on, 1 out, bottom 9, 3-3 tie with the Giants. TJ just popped out on ball 3. I'm too old for extra innings on a work night, hoping for a little of that old Mets walk-off magic... ::pray::
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

BIIIIG KNOCK NEIL WALKER!!! ::ds:: ::clapping:: ::clapping:: ::clapping::
C_Wf9q4W0AUQm_t.jpg
Walkoff goodness! The baseball gods are kind! ::not_worthy:: 7 wins out of the last 10! ::groove::
C_WgkxPXcAEmD-Z.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The Cubs are headed for the deep, dark, dank, depths of the cellar. Their pitching sucks. Their hitting is spotty. Their fielding is error prone and unreliable. St. Louis is once again destined to lead the National League Central with the Reds close on their heels.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

jerryd6818 wrote:The Cubs are headed for the deep, dark, dank, depths of the cellar. Their pitching sucks. Their hitting is spotty. Their fielding is error prone and unreliable. St. Louis is once again destined to lead the National League Central with the Reds close on their heels.
Winning it all last year, is going to be Joe's biggest coaching/managing problem this year. It's mystifying how the starting pitching can go from 1.80 ERA last year, to something like 4.50 ERA this year. Some of the pitchers are starting to turn the corner now. Rizzo, Schwarber, Zobrist, Russell & Contreras need to pick up their batting. Bryant, Baez, Jay, Montero & Heyward are doing fine.

I suspect they are going to get better and make a charge by mid-season. Just an awfully slow start from the WS win... sort of like having a hangover.
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

That's what one of the talking heads called it, "World Series hang-over".

Rockies are taking them to the cleaners this afternoon. Maybe they'll get their heads screwed on straight by this evening's game. ::shrug::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

jerryd6818 wrote: Maybe they'll get their heads screwed on straight by this evening's game. ::shrug::
They did! Last night, I saw last year's team. Lackey did great! Best start of the year so far! Was also very impressed with AAA call-up Candelario.
NRA Life/Endowment
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

They did look good last night or at least better than Denver.

Candelario was up last year for a cup of coffee.

From Wikipedia;
"He was promoted to the Cubs major league team on July 3, 2016, to replace Chris Coghlan, who was placed on the disabled list. He made his major-league debut the same day, against the New York Mets. He was optioned back to Iowa on July 9. Candelario appeared in five games for the Cubs in 2016 and finished with a .091 batting average. The Cubs went on to win the 2016 World Series. Candelario was not present during the postseason, but was still on the 40-man roster at the time and won his first World Series title."
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Familia goes down, possibly for the season, and the team falls apart again... ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::

This season's been a rollercoaster and it's only mid-May! ::undecided::
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Cubs desperately tried to give the game away to the Cards in the 9th, with 2 outs... they made it a one run game with Rizzo missing the catch for the final out at 1st base but Wade Davis then struck out Adams for the final out and the Win.

Willy got 2 dingers, his first time ever with 2 HR's in one game.
NRA Life/Endowment
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

CheckSix wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:The Cubs are headed for the deep, dark, dank, depths of the cellar. Their pitching sucks. Their hitting is spotty. Their fielding is error prone and unreliable. St. Louis is once again destined to lead the National League Central with the Reds close on their heels.
Winning it all last year, is going to be Joe's biggest coaching/managing problem this year. It's mystifying how the starting pitching can go from 1.80 ERA last year, to something like 4.50 ERA this year. Some of the pitchers are starting to turn the corner now. Rizzo, Schwarber, Zobrist, Russell & Contreras need to pick up their batting. Bryant, Baez, Jay, Montero & Heyward are doing fine.

I suspect they are going to get better and make a charge by mid-season. Just an awfully slow start from the WS win... sort of like having a hangover.
It's still May y'all. Way too early to make any real assessments about your team. At least that's what I keep telling myself as my Rangers just won their 4th straight game to finally escape the AL West cellar. It's been a dismal year so far as the bullpen, which was so reliable last year, has already racked up 8 blown saves! ::teary_eyes:: Adrian Beltre is the heart and soul of the team, and hasn't had an at bat yet - likely will be on DL until June. ::dang::

As a Cardinals fan though I have to say I'm liking the present NL Central standings! But realistically I'm not believing the Cubs are going to stay in their present state much longer. That team is just too good and Madden is as good as there is.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I'm breaking my own rule about not making any predictions on the outcome of the season until about mid June. In January, I predicted 90 games this year. If they keep playing this way, they'll be lucky to win 80 games. When's the last time you saw Rizzo botch as many catches as he has this year and he's not the only one? The entire team is playing like they just got called up from the minors. Jeez, they look like they're just mailing it in. Over the winter, did they all forget how to play baseball?

Same, same for most of last year's top performing teams.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

The Cubs opening 6 weeks schedule has been primarily in cold weather locales which I believe is contributing to the poor offense. Regarding the poor play and poor pitching, my guess is that David Ross helped them overcome distractions to prepare to play and his absence from the team has an impact on both the pitchers and the everyday players. Talent is but one dimension of achievement. Roy Hobbs, The Natural, learned this the hard way (twice :) ).

I'd like to see Almora lead off for a few games and Shwarber hit 2nd then Bryant and Rizzo to see if that helps the offense. I hope they don't trade prospect Happ for pitching.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

My buddy, John, keeps chanting the cold weather mantra but I'm of a mind that both teams are playing in the same park at the same time in the same weather. During last night's game, Fowler the fouler sure made me sorry they traded him. I noticed him and Rizzo yukkin' it up before the game last night. I wonder if he misses the Cubs.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

by the way, I REALLY liked "call-up" Eddie Butler's pitching performance last night. They ought to send Brett Anderson back to the minors.
NRA Life/Endowment
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

jerryd6818 wrote:My buddy, John, keeps chanting the cold weather mantra but I'm of a mind that both teams are playing in the same park at the same time in the same weather.
Jerry, I agree that's the logical way to look at it. But I'm reminded of what former Rangers manager Ron Washington said about teams playing in the Texas summer heat. Ron took the position that the heat was a home team advantage for the Rangers.

He said "It's a situation of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter!" :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

jerryd6818 wrote:During last night's game, Fowler the fouler sure made me sorry they traded him.
I've felt the same way about the Mets letting Daniel Murphy go every time we play the Nats. ::facepalm::
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

I agree that weather has no bearing in head-to-head performances because the conditions are the same for everyone playing at that time at that location. I was trying to explain why are some of the Cubs players producing below the level they would be expected to. Many of the Cub's games have been close scores.

Here is a 2017 season-to-date comparison of Paul Goldshmidt (1B for Diamondbacks) and Anthony Rizzo (1B for Cubs) who I believe most would agree are elite players in the NL. Goldschmidt's games, except for 3 in Wash D.C., have all been in warm weather stadiums. All of the Cubs games have been in cold weather locales with open air stadiums. I believe by the end of the season Rizzo's line will equalize higher and Goldshmidt's will stay about where it is. Rizzo will have significantly more homers and a higher slugging % while Goldshmidt will have a higher average and OBP.
Goldshmidt to Rizzo Compare.JPG
The point about losing Fowler affecting Cub team chemistry is valid. Fowler is a true lead off hitter. Another parallel to Arizona is that they lost their leadoff hitter last year when Pollock broke his arm. Pollock is back and healthy this year and the Diamondbacks are much better this year (so far).

I expect the Cubs to add an impact starting pitcher at some point this season.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

8 beanballs for Rizzo already? Maybe he'd start hitting if he didn't dive out in front of everything on the inside of the plate. ::rotflol::
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::tu:: Jerry, Reds - Cubs series comming up. Which of us is going to the hardware to buy the broom? ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Flip a coin but probably neither one of us.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Houston @ the Yankees. Top of the first inning. Lead off home run followed by another home run. Hit through the right side gap and then a hit bats man and a walk followed by a base clearing grand slam. Houston 6 - Yankees 0 Love to see it.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

jerryd6818 wrote:Houston @ the Yankees. Top of the first inning. Lead off home run followed by another home run. Hit through the right side gap and then a hit bats man and a walk followed by a base clearing grand slam. Houston 6 - Yankees 0 Love to see it.
Watching the damnYankees play the Lastros is torture for me - I despise both teams. ::barf:: ::barf::

On the bright side the Rangers swept Oakland today! ::ds:: ::ds::

Ken
Attachments
image.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

That's good news but Oakland is no challenge. :lol:
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

jerryd6818 wrote:That's good news but Oakland is no challenge. :lol:

Beat the team's you're supposed to beat, break even against the best. You'll be in pretty good shape in the end! ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”