Are There Any BASEBALL Fans On The Forum?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
TPK

Re: Are There Any BASEBALL Fans On The Forum?

Post by TPK »

wlf wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:14 am
OLDE CUTLER wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:35 am I think that the worst team in the AL should play a series against the worst team in the NL. The winner gets the first draft choice.
First a playoff between the worst two teams in each league to verify the WORST team.
::rotflol:: :lol:
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Boo. Hiss. What a disappointment. Okay, so I'm a poor sport. I just don't like the Astros and that's not going to change just because they won a World Series.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I really couldn't care less about either team; although, to be completely honest, I was rooting for the Phillies because they were the underdogs. Nevertheless, the silver lining is that Dusty Baker finally gets a World Series ring (as a manager)---he definitely earned it. And what sweet revenge it must surely be for him to defeat the very organization that turned him down the last time the Phillies were looking to hire a new manager. I guess he got the last laugh in the end! :lol:
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Happy for Dusty Baker!!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I hated to see the Astros win.
I can't stand them or Dusty Baker.
Not a Phillies fan either, but was hoping Schwarber would get another ring.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Guess ol' Brycey Boy is still searching for his Grail. ::sotb::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Congratulations to the Astros and their fans, I thought it was a good series, entertaining to watch. ::tu::
steve99f
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

edge213 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:53 pm
A dissenting opinion! I am a little surprised that no Reds fans have checked in with the same opinion. All that I know can't stand Dusty.
Ike
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Waukonda wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:49 am
A dissenting opinion! I am a little surprised that no Reds fans have checked in with the same opinion. All that I know can't stand Dusty.
::tu::
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Shocker, Jacob DeGrom leaves the Mets to sign with Texas Rangers. Rangers are spending a little money, or more like a lot. $185 mil for 5 years.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:25 pm Shocker, Jacob DeGrom leaves the Mets to sign with Texas Rangers. Rangers are spending a little money, or more like a lot. $185 mil for 5 years.
I’m not surprised. The Rangers are serious about improving the team. Bruce Bochy didn’t sign on to manage a mediocre team. They have a solid core of players already but the pitching has been beyond terrible. With the 5th largest media market in the U.S. ($$$), a beautiful modern retractable roof air conditioned venue ($$$), a deep farm system (especially infielders) from which to make trades, I suspect they’re not done trading/signing.

On paper deGrom is maybe the best pitcher in MLB - whether he can stay healthy is the big question.
But pitchers are always an injury risk nowadays. No more Drysdale’s, Gibson’s, Ryan’s that pitch 20+ complete games a year. ::uc:: Why that is could be a whole ‘nuther thread!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:10 pm
OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:25 pm Shocker, Jacob DeGrom leaves the Mets to sign with Texas Rangers. Rangers are spending a little money, or more like a lot. $185 mil for 5 years.
I’m not surprised. The Rangers are serious about improving the team. Bruce Bochy didn’t sign on to manage a mediocre team. They have a solid core of players already but the pitching has been beyond terrible. With the 5th largest media market in the U.S. ($$$), a beautiful modern retractable roof air conditioned venue ($$$), a deep farm system (especially infielders) from which to make trades, I suspect they’re not done trading/signing.

On paper deGrom is maybe the best pitcher in MLB - whether he can stay healthy is the big question.
But pitchers are always an injury risk nowadays. No more Drysdale’s, Gibson’s, Ryan’s that pitch 20+ complete games a year. ::uc:: Why that is could be a whole ‘nuther thread!

Ken
It is going to be interesting to see who they sign in addition to DeGrom and how they do in 2023.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Spring Training! Pitchers and catchers report dates less than three weeks away. I’m so ready! ::ds:: ::ds::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Woo Hoo baby. I am so ready for that.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

MLB’s new “balanced” schedule format has every team playing every other team, every year. Here’s an interesting take on some of the star players potentially playing this year for the first time ever in each city. https://www.mlb.com/news/stars-making-b ... ebuts-2023

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

WBC is also played this year, starting March 8.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Only 3 weeks & 3 days until the first training camp games. ::ds::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Nats are still going to be horrendous. ::tired::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
wlf

Post by wlf »

Waukonda wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:49 am
Because the Reds don't have much relativity to MLB. I've lost most of interest therefore.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:28 pm Nats are still going to be horrendous. ::tired::
Well schuckie darn, so will the Cubs but that doesn't mean I'll stop watching them.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

In case anyone might have any delusions about the prejudicial New York-centric east coast favoritism of the “media”, I give you this. This past fall, post 2022 season, New York Mets pitcher Jacob DeGrom was rated by a group of sports writers as the best starting pitcher in MLB. Today, pre-season 2023, DeGrom is rated by the same people as the 9th best starting pitcher.

So what changed? At the time he was rated number 1 he was a New York Met. Now he’s a member of the great unwashed, fly-over country Texas Rangers. ::facepalm:: That’s it. Nothing else. :lol:

::barf::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

wlf wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:40 pm
Because the Reds don't have much relativity to MLB. I've lost most of interest therefore.
Lyle, here’s a potential solution (several of them I fact). https://www.mlb.com/news/best-bandwagon ... icle-share

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:32 pm In case anyone might have any delusions about the prejudicial New York-centric east coast favoritism of the “media”, I give you this. This past fall, post 2022 season, New York Mets pitcher Jacob DeGrom was rated by a group of sports writers as the best starting pitcher in MLB. Today, pre-season 2023, DeGrom is rated by the same people as the 9th best starting pitcher.

So what changed? At the time he was rated number 1 he was a New York Met. Now he’s a member of the great unwashed, fly-over country Texas Rangers. ::facepalm:: That’s it. Nothing else. :lol:

::barf::

Ken
His deteriorating arm is also something to be considered. The Mets broadcasters Gary Cohen, Ron Darling, and Keith Hernandez over the past few years always hyped him as the best pitcher in baseball. The best pitcher in baseball cant miss as many starts as DeGrom did. So NY hype was certainly there. The Mets gave up on him for the reason of unreliability and went with Verlander. Whether that works out remains to be seen.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Agree DeGrom’s health is a concern but so is the health of every pitcher especially the last 20 years or so. The point I was making is, after the World Series, around November or December when free agency “Hot Stove” discussions and articles were taking place, DeGrom was the consensus number 1 “best starting pitcher in baseball”. Now 3 months later he’s the 9th best? Pretty dramatic change considering no MLB games have been played during that time. ::shrug::

And guess who has moved up to second place? None other than new New York Mets signee Justin Verlander! Himself just one year removed from his return from Tommy John arm surgery, but now living in the New York media light. :roll:

I just thought it was an interesting but typical display of media bias. Like you say, time will tell.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

More evidence, fresh off the press. I could hardly care less about the NBA, but could not help noticing this. The Brooklyn Nets and Dallas Mavericks completed a trade recently - basically Nets player Kyrie Irving to Dallas for Spencer Dinwiddie and Dorian Finley-Smith. Apparently the plan is to pair up Irving with Dallas’ star player Luka Doncic.

Before the trade the media mantra was “Luka has no help”. Now suddenly they’re gushing over how good Dinwiddie is & how Dorian is “one of the best players in the league”! ::shrug::

None of the players involved have played a single game yet for either team. All they did was change locations. ::sotb::

Belaboring the point? Yes, but the NY/east coast media bias has always pissed me off!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”