Legends of Arthur and Camelot

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Legends of Arthur and Camelot

Post by Mossdancer »

Hey To All;
Is there any interest in starting a post about The Legendary Blades of Cutlery.
Do all of you know that the Gerber Miming was probably named for Miming the bladesmith to Charlemagne. The Gerber Excaliber of course was for the giant sword that only Arthur was able to pull from the rock or was it the supposed real one that the Lady of the Lake presented to Arthur.

This is true Lore and a part of the fun of knives but I have no desire to hijack another forum with this legend. By the way Pixies got into everything as the Gerber Pixie is a multi use knife. Can you find the connection to Guardian,Balmung, French
etc. I think this might be found interesting by your children or grandchildren as there are several new computer games on the subject.

If there is any interest we shall proceed.
wb
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

One of the trade marks of Thomas Ellin & Company is Vulcan. A Vulcan is a mythical character, part blacksmith and part alchemist, who works fire or the forge to make things of use from the raw materials of nature. As well as being a warp capable civilization reknowned for their logic. :mrgreen: s-k
Attachments
324px-rubens_-_vulcano_forjando_los_rayos_de_j_c3_bapiter_195.jpg
324px-rubens_-_vulcano_forjando_los_rayos_de_j_c3_bapiter_195.jpg (25.57 KiB) Viewed 3544 times
Jan-31 002.jpg
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Legendary

Post by Mossdancer »

Hi SK:
I see you have the jist of it. Now if we can drum up 7 or 8 more participants we will proceed. Snickersnee was the legendary blade of Koko the Lord High Executioner from Gilbert and Sullivans "The Mikado".
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Vulcan

Post by El Lobo »

What in the universe?

Vulcan? Are you guys out of your vulcan minds?? :shock: ::paranoid:: ::hmm::

Lancelot.
Attachments
Vulcan Part Deux.jpg
Vulcan Part Deux.jpg (6.76 KiB) Viewed 3534 times
Please visit the Member Stores here at AAPK, including my store.....GET AN EDGE!
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/getanedge
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

W.B.

I always thought the Gerber Miming was named after "Ham" and Pete Gerber???

:mrgreen:

Lobo
Please visit the Member Stores here at AAPK, including my store.....GET AN EDGE!
Hukk

Post by Hukk »

I don't know much about Legendary Blades of Cutlery, but I sure as heck would like to read about it. I'm all for it, anything about knife legends/history is of interest to me.
Hukk
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Legend

Post by Mossdancer »

No, But it may have been little John and Pygmalion! Did you know that Joyeuse was Charlamagnes trusty blade forged by Miming.
wb
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Legends

Post by Mossdancer »

Hey Lobo;
Did you take note that you did it or was it on purpose. That Spocks lineage Vulcan came from legend.
wb

Hukk;
Go to google and key in King Arthur Legend of Camelot. Days and days of reading.
wb
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

In Chaucer's Cantebury Tales (14th cent) 'The Reeves Tale' the Miller of Trumpington is described as carrying a 'Sheffield Thwitel' a wooden-handled fixed-blade in his waist-belt. Could be the origin of the word whittle ::shrug:: :) s-k
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

Now then.....

This legend's favorite knife was named "Mack".....

Bill

P. S.
WB....How am I doing? :mrgreen:
Attachments
Mack Man.jpg
Mack Man.jpg (3.38 KiB) Viewed 3508 times
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

OK...OK...

On topic as always... ::huff::

Is it known for sure if Caladbolg, or possibly Caladcholg, were somehow related to Arthur's sword? I'll let you historians deal with that one.....I'll go get the popcorn. ::nod::

William of Scottsdale
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Mac Man, Very cool El Lobo 8) s-k
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

El Lobo wrote:OK...OK...

On topic as always... ::huff::

Is it known for sure if Caladbolg, or possibly Caladcholg, were somehow related to Arthur's sword? I'll let you historians deal with that one.....I'll go get the popcorn. ::nod::

William of Scottsdale
See if this link makes any sense. I think from the Arthur anology it means a source of power, in this case, for a Celtic ruler. Although I'm not sure about the chopping of hilltops. Maybe similar to Paul Bunyon's Axe. ::shrug:: s-k

http://c10-ss-1-lb.cnet.com/reference/Caladbolg
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Legend

Post by Mossdancer »

Dare I: Sir William of Scottsdale;
In reply to your question. Seek and find enlightenment.

In Arthurian legend, the sword belonging to King Arthur. ... Latin Caliburnus, from Middle Welsh Caletuwlch or Middle Irish Caladbolg, a legendary sword
wb

PS; William is "The Conquerer " name of four Kings of England.
PPS; Twhitel is a large knife known also as a whittle. Don't no if it has anything to do with the paring down of wood or not.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

What? No mention of the Vorpal Blade?? ::mdm:: ::mdm::
Lewis Carroll would be rolling over in his grave. I guess Arthur had no connection to the Jabberwocky. ::shrug:: Oh, well.....

WB,
Start the thread. I think it will be interesting. Living in Oregon (as we both do) and having spent 10+ years selling cutlery in Oregon in the 1980s & early 1990s, I do have a bit of interest in Gerber and the other cutlery companies that are "Home Grown", Kershaw, Al Mar, Benchmade and later CRKT (Columbia River Knife & Tool). Interestingly enough, Al Mar was a designer for Pete Gerber. Pete Kershaw also worked for Pete Gerber, as a buyer, if I recall correctly. Both went on to open their own companies. Al died in 1992. He was a really great guy and a good friend. Les de Asis, owner of Benchmade is also a really nice guy. Les is still doing great & Benchmade is going strong, though he didn't have any connection to Gerber (to my knowledge). CRKT was formed mainly be people who worked for Kershaw & Gerber.

My point is this, from Gerber came three more knife companies, Al Mar, Kershaw & CRKT, all Oregon based companies. So..........background on Gerber would be quite interesting to me.

Incidentally I met Pete Gerber for the first time a couple years ago. He seemed like a nice guy.

Interesting...........I do know that there are some jerks in the cutlery industry, I just haven't met them...................maybe it is a good thing I don't live in Tennessee, or I probably wouldn't be able to make that statement. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

legend

Post by Mossdancer »

Hi Dale and others;
Will revisit this post in a while. Just got a lead on some gerber-12 documents. Will be busy for awhile.
wb

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”