Time for an Industrial Haircut

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
sunburst

Time for an Industrial Haircut

Post by sunburst »

Every year we do a little trimming on our Citrus trees, we call it hedging & topping. Here is a little topping going on yesterday on some Sunburst tangerines. This gargantuan weighs about 17 tons and is 4 wheel drive with articulating steering in the center pivot. We contract all this work out to an outside company..

Next time you need your hedge trimmed let me know I could probably arrange a visit.. :D
Attachments
More Topping.jpg
Topping.jpg
“The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways”
singin46

Post by singin46 »

That is one big FLOWBEE my friend. :lol: What does it take about 5 minutes?
:shock:

Perry :mrgreen:
Hogkiller

Post by Hogkiller »

How do ya sharpen blades THAT big?? :shock:
Cool toy, brings a whole new image to trimmin' the bushes.
justold52

Post by justold52 »

I bet that will wake up the KILLER BEES and that Black and White kidy cat,
and The Wild Hogs, sure hope the driver has an airtight airconditioned cab and a cell phone.

I watched a side road trimmer in Canada one time for about an hour.
Looked much like that but he only had one lawnmore like head.
Started at the top and just pushed the cutter down to the ground macking lots of chips. Then moved to the next small tree.

I must be cheep to watch those free shows. :lol: :lol:
A sign In a Chinese Pet Store: 'Buy one dog, get one flea.'
johnnierotten

Post by johnnierotten »

Now thats a big weed whacker !!
johnnierotten

So far,So good...So What!!
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

I wanna drive! I wanna drive! :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: . Cool mo-chine, I'll bet the blades from that thing would make great knives.
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
sunburst

Post by sunburst »

It is a very neat machine to watch :D although it's a bit dangerous to get very close as big hunks of wood become missiles at times. I have never seen it (Good :shock: ) but blades have come off at times and go where ever they want to go.. ::paranoid::

The blades are sharpened by removing them and using a stationary blade sharpener, something that you might see at a machinist shop.
I'll bet the blades from that thing would make great knives
Leave it to you Kaleb you hit it right on the head with using this material for knife blades. They are highly coveted by folks wanting to make blades for knives, axe heads. One of the local dishes in this area is "Swamp Cabbage" or "Heart of Palm". It's where you remove the heart of a local palm tree called the cabbage palm and cook it down to eat. It's pretty difficult to get to unless you know what your doing and have a good axe and hopefully one that is very thin, such as one made with a saw blade.

There is another machine that does the lateral cut and I will attempt to show you that machine as well when it's running...Oh yeah it cost us $340.00 hour to contract this machine.

Sunburst
“The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways”

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”