First Cup Diner!

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: First Cup Diner!

Post by djknife13 »

Good morning. On the way home from work yesterday it suddenly dawned on me that the gun show was the first weekend in Feb., not this weekend. I'm a little bummed that I have to wait another week, but my legs were telling me they didn't want to do that much walking anyway. So today I'm going to try to get some of the snow load off the roof. I'm hoping some of the kids come to help. Usually they just chase me off the roof so I don't get in their way, and that works for me especially tomorrow when the pain from over doing my back catches up to me. It's below zero and likely will stay there for most or all of next week. Coffees done. Have a great weekend.____Dave
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Mornin' guys and gal. It is 48º here in P'ville and we are supposed to have a rainy spell starting soon. We can always use the rain. Our main lake is at about 48% of capacity on the last report I heard. Nothing on the agenda for the day so it'll be messin' with knives and naps for the day.
Hope your day is a dandy.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

treefarmer wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:39 am Good Mornin', Diners.
Up and fixin' to go to the woods for a couple of hours. Had a good rest last evening and since it's just cold and not windy I figured it might be a good morning. ::shrug:: The thermometers both say 30 degrees this morning as does the computer, be glad when it warms up around here.
Miss Joy has a grocery pickup between 10 and 11 this morning. She hates doing that but still does every now and then. I believe it's cheaper to shop like that. ::nod:: Kinda like when I go to the store for a gallon of milk and maybe one other item, I come home with the other item and the gallon of milk. When she goes for the gallon of milk and one other item, somehow a whole buggy full of groceries get loaded in the car. ::hmm:: I can talk like this, she's still sleeping. :)
Y'all have a safe and productive Saturday!
Treefarmer
Hope a nice buck shows up for you!
I don’t do store pickup at the grocery store but definitely do it at Walmart. I know saves me money. And time, I keep an open cart online and add things as the need comes.
The forecast winter storm is somewhat fizzling out, no regrets on that. Only looking at a couple of inches of snow now. But still cold. Currently 9 degrees and won’t warm up.
Did venture out last night for some live music, crowded but big open area so was enjoyable. The live music scene is what I miss the most about summertime here.
Work today, will be a lot of lookie loos.
So far no more vehicles have taken a swim in the lake.
Have a great weekend and watch out for the crazies!
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Morning folks, 50 heading to the low 70's.
Yard sale in the park, doubt there will be any knives but I may ✔️ it out.
Cook out later.
Yawl have a good'un and be careful out there. ::handshake::
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Good Morning Everyone!
Got a S&W Trapper I need to work on today. I'm cleaning it up and replacing the handles on it.
Cheryl is doing a little house cleaning so after I do my part I'll just stay out in the garage out
of the way. I'm also doing some woodburning on 2" disks of Disney characters for my youngest
grandkids so that will keep me busy today. Have a great weekend and be safe everyone.... :D
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Mornin' Y'all

The wife and I really slept in this morning. I needed it ...

Have a funeral at noon today, a founding member of our Rescue Squad. Lowell Guy was 92 years young.
A good man and an early mentor to me. He will be missed.

Not much else today, probably whatever the wife wants to do
::shrug::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

Morning all you people.
Coffee was molested but an extra teaspoon of sugar made it ok.
Who ever heard of a gold Batmobile?
It came with ugly wheels, but it has the right ones now.
Looking for the magic penny!
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Good afternoon to all. We're currently at the predicted high of 32, and should see a drop of one degree. I'm still hoping they're wrong about the impending cold snap, and my slate is still clean. Y'all have a great day!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Good Sunday Morning to all that drop in. Very quite here, was talking to someone this morning and they were saying how quickly January has gone. You will be in Spring shortly, and then Summer, that is how quickly the years go by now. Enjoy your Sunday and services for those attending, and your first coffee of course. ::tounge::
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

GOOD MORNING FCD PATRONS. HAPPY SUNDAY
Thanks for opening up this morning Cudgee. 39 degrees now 55 degrees later. No rain predicted today. Coffee is brewing now. Trying to decide what to fix for breakfast. I’ve stopped buying eggs at over $5 a dozen. Still a cheap breakfast but it’s the principle. They were 99 cents at the beginning of 2022. Perhaps some grits and bacon are in order. Gas had come down some, now trending back up.
Going through my knife catalogs, there’s one I been debating over getting. Not too high in price but there was a time I didn’t have to think that hard about it. I’ll probably pass on it.
I do need groceries when the store opens but not really anything else to do this fine Sunday. Weather promises to be good today so I’ll take advantage of this and spend a good part of the day outside. Possibly take a long walk.
Enjoy your day everyone. This weekend flew by
-Oscar outta here ::pace::
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Hidy ho neighbors, a cold front has gone through and its dropped the temp quite a bit from where its been lately. 22-28 cloudy and blustery. Looks like a good day to sit by the fire. :D Happy trails!
David
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Good morning. Jane got a call from a friends husband yesterday. The friend has been battling cancer for the past year and went into hospice last week. Jane has been trying to get up to see her before she passed but didn't make it in time. I planned to spend yesterday at the gun show until I figured out that I had the wrong weekend for the show. It's next weekend. I kept thinking I'll be missing seeing Dennis at the show because he passed away last week. The funeral for Jane's friend is scheduled for next Saturday so I won't be missing Dennis at the show. I'll be missing him at her funeral instead of the gun show. Death just seems to be hanging in the air ever present lately. We have lost friends at the rate of about one per month the past two years. I don't remember my parents going to this many funerals when they were my age, but maybe I just wasn't paying as much attention as I should have. It's 16 below this morning. The wind isn't as strong as they were predicting so the wind chill isn't as bad as they said it would be. There are wind chill warnings just West of us where it can get dangerous quickly if you aren't paying attention or get stranded outside. Tonight is supposed to a little colder and next week we probably won't see anything above zero. This all sounds depressing. I should start over and just say "good morning" and let it go at that. Then again it might help to share the misery. Just don't die on me. I'm going to hit the shower and head off to church. Have a great Sunday.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Good Morning Everyone!
It's Sunday so it's church, lunch at the local café, and home for a nap.
I'm working on a few more woodburning art projects so I'll most likely be in the garage after
my nap. Have a blessed day and be very safe everyone.... :D
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Mornin', Folks.
Dave, I remember a spell when I was a little feller, maybe 10-14 years of age when it seemed like every aunt on my mother's side of the family passed away. Then again in August of 1979 my dad died, my aunt and uncle died by August of 1980. Then in 1998, Joy's mother died, followed by my mother and then a very close neighbor lady (a 2nd mom to Joy) all with in just a few months. Time is flying by. One old pastor had a lot of funny saying that made folks think, one that came to mind was, "People are dying today that have never died before." Another saying he often quoted was, "Every tub sits on its' own bottom." Those are things that make a person reflect on life as it whizzes by. ::hmm:: We're getting closer to the day when it will be our turn. ::nod::
We had a productive day yesterday, got some more pumpkins processed and stuck away in the freezer, only 5 or 6 left to do. Had an interesting early morning hunt, wrong buck was chasing in the morning but late yesterday afternoon another buck was trying to cut off a doe and he met the .243 up close and personal.
40 degree last night when I finished dressing the deer, this morning the temperature is up to 47, rain showing up south and east of us. Supposed to rain all afternoon.
Church in a couple of hours and then after dinner that wonderful Sunday afternoon siesta! ::tu::
Y'all have a good one and try to make it to the house of worship today.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Good Morning all. 42 going to a high of 48. Rain likely.

Death is a subject that I consider with some frequency. When I was in 7th grade I was an altar boy. The funerals conducted in the parish were invariably at 10 o'clock. This was a great boon for me as this was the time when we began the subject of math. I always expressed my thanks to the deceased for enabling me to escape what I considered a wretched subject.

peace & health
wv trapper

Post by wv trapper »

Morning gang, it's 42* here and the rain has started. Made Kate some french toast and got my cup of coffee. I worked at the Country Store yesterday, a nice day and I was busy on the loader and tractor with hay and gravel. We have church afterwhile and after church I think a nap and some football sounds good. I guess that's all for now, have a good one. God Bless,
"Mountaineers are Always Free"
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Morning folks, mid 60's heading to the mid 80's.
Leaving the 4 corners, slowly working my way north, heading up north to the villages hoping to hook up with ole Nam buddy, he's supposed to get out of rehab Monday morning.
Dave it our time in the barrel, I've lost 2 buddies since the first of the year.
My mom and dad both lived to be 92, my brother and I looked around the funeral home and it really hit us how very few of their friends and love ones were still around to see them off.
Yawl have a good'un and be careful out there. 👍 ::handshake::
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

Good morning folks.
Coffee was good but I wish I had another mug.\
Praying for the Government to implode.
Looking for the magic penny!
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Quick Steel wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:38 pm Good Morning all. 42 going to a high of 48. Rain likely.

Death is a subject that I consider with some frequency. When I was in 7th grade I was an altar boy. The funerals conducted in the parish were invariably at 10 o'clock. This was a great boon for me as this was the time when we began the subject of math. I always expressed my thanks to the deceased for enabling me to escape what I considered a wretched subject.

peace & health
::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol::
Ike
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

bighomer wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:49 pm
Leaving the 4 corners, slowly working my way north, heading up north to the villages hoping to hook up with ole Nam buddy, he's supposed to get out of rehab Monday morning.
As you pass by/through Leesburg, stick your arm out, wave and say "hey" to my favorite cousin, a Viet Nam Dogie. Then when you get to The Villages roll down the window, stick your arm out, wave and say hey to my old Marine Corps buddy Tom. I wish I could do that my self but it wasn't meant to be.

We get a whoppin' 18º today and we're saving one of them (1º) for tonight. Brrrrr ::td::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Good afternoon to all. We're currently at 34 degrees, which is where we should peak before sinking to 27. Looks like some arctic air is looming, so things could get cold over the next few days. No newly fallen snow that I could see. No firm plans for today, either. Y'all have a great day!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Finally got some work done on my lathe today. Made a pen as a gift for a friend. It starts out as a bag of the metal parts and you turn down a blank of wood or another material. I’ve done antler, horn, woods and resins. The parts are press fitted together.
This one is Kirinite, a variety of acrylic from the UK. Case uses this same material on some of their knife handles. Photos here are today’s work. No finish is required on Kirinite. I wet sanded it down to 12,000 grit, followed by an acrylic polish.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

OSCAR wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:43 pm Finally got some work done on my lathe today. Made a pen as a gift for a friend. It starts out as a bag of the metal parts and you turn down a blank of wood or another material. I’ve done antler, horn, woods and resins. The parts are press fitted together.
This one is Kirinite, a variety of acrylic from the UK. Case uses this same material on some of their knife handles. Photos here are today’s work. No finish is required on Kirinite. I wet sanded it down to 12,000 grit, followed by an acrylic polish.
Nice work, i had no idea such projects could be done. ::tu::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

A beautiful pen OSCAR. You have a fine talent.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Thanks Quicksteel and Cudgee. Here are some bottle stoppers I’ve made in the past. And a photo of my Jet mini lathe. Wish I had the space and the money for a full size lathe but they cost thousands of dollars. I’ve been turning for about 30 years.
Bottle stoppers left to right: Ebony, dyed wood laminated, blue dyed box elder (stabilized) and tulip wood.
Attachments
Bottle stoppers
Bottle stoppers
Lathe
Lathe

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”