First Cup Diner!

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Dan In MI

Re: First Cup Diner!

Post by Dan In MI »

Good morning to all. We're just above freezing at 33, and should see 36/25 for the day. Looks like just about seven inches of snow fell here yesterday; I'm hoping for none today. My slate is clean at the moment. Y'all have a great day!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Ripster wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:14 pm
cudgee wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:16 am Morning fellow Diners, open and the coffee is on. JP, good that you have a good break, i am sure you will be glad to get back home though. Is Australia Day here, but it is on it's last legs, a minority want it banned and they will get their way, but too political for the Diner. Have a good day everyone. ::tu::
Happy Australia Day over there !! Is this the celebration of the landing of the fleet at Sydney Cove in 1788 !
It used to be, now it is going to be banned. Would be the same as banning your Fourth of July. But as i said, politics causes to much angst in the Diner, so won't elaborate. But i ain't happy. :x :x :x
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

treefarmer wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:45 pm Good Mornin', Folks!
36 degrees this morning, also clear and still. Just a comment concerning yesterday's weather: High winds, lots of tornado warnings and watches and heavy rainfall was reported along with the power outage. We slept through most of it apparently. shrug:: We had no power for almost 2 hours (not unusual around here), but we had very few limbs down in the yard and only got a total of 0.4 inches of rain. One friend, just north of us got almost 4 inches, below us similar amounts were reported. We must have been in a special place as the storm went around us on all sides. 0.4' is still a good amount of rain on an already wet piece of dirt, but we blessed not to see the high winds at our home. Stuff like this happens with rain all along, we may not get a drop and across the creek, those folks may get an inch or so but missing the high winds was really great. All I can say is thank the Lord for allowing us to be in a calm area as it went over!.
Workday today, also includes a birthday dinner for a special friend who actually had a birthday last Sunday. Also it is the birthday of our oldest daughter and our youngest, Philip Jr. Our daughter is 50 and son is 45 today. That will make you feel old. ::hmm::
Spent about 3 hours cutting up a big fat deer yesterday, thankfully they wanted lots of roasts and meat to grind. It's hard to get all the fat away from the lean, time consuming.
Coffee has been poured, y'all have a great day!
Treefarmer
Are you going to be making Venison Sausages. ???
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

cudgee wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:56 pm
Ripster wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:14 pm
cudgee wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:16 am Morning fellow Diners, open and the coffee is on. JP, good that you have a good break, i am sure you will be glad to get back home though. Is Australia Day here, but it is on it's last legs, a minority want it banned and they will get their way, but too political for the Diner. Have a good day everyone. ::tu::
Happy Australia Day over there !! Is this the celebration of the landing of the fleet at Sydney Cove in 1788 !
It used to be, now it is going to be banned. Would be the same as banning your Fourth of July. But as i said, politics causes to much angst in the Diner, so won't elaborate. But i ain't happy. :x :x :x
It’s wrong in so many ways to undo a country’s history and culture. I will leave it at that not to get political here. Just offering my opinion for what it is worth.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

cudgee wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:58 pm
36 degrees this morning, also clear and still. Just a comment concerning yesterday's weather: High winds, lots of tornado warnings and watches and heavy rainfall was reported along with the power outage. We slept through most of it apparently. shrug:: We had no power for almost 2 hours (not unusual around here), but we had very few limbs down in the yard and only got a total of 0.4 inches of rain. One friend, just north of us got almost 4 inches, below us similar amounts were reported. We must have been in a special place as the storm went around us on all sides. 0.4' is still a good amount of rain on an already wet piece of dirt, but we blessed not to see the high winds at our home. Stuff like this happens with rain all along, we may not get a drop and across the creek, those folks may get an inch or so but missing the high winds was really great. All I can say is thank the Lord for allowing us to be in a calm area as it went over!.
Workday today, also includes a birthday dinner for a special friend who actually had a birthday last Sunday. Also it is the birthday of our oldest daughter and our youngest, Philip Jr. Our daughter is 50 and son is 45 today. That will make you feel old. ::hmm::
Spent about 3 hours cutting up a big fat deer yesterday, thankfully they wanted lots of roasts and meat to grind. It's hard to get all the fat away from the lean, time consuming.
Treefarmer
Yes Sir, we intend to make sausage. We generally wait until the end of deer season and then we'll know what we have to work with as far as "sausage meat". Traditionally I used to wait until Spring Break for the school district so I'd have a week to mess with the sausage and the smoke house. But since I retired I don't have time to do that. ::shrug:: Now we usually only make 25 pounds at a time, either bulk sausage, vacuumed in 1.5 pound bags or summer sausage in about a 2.5 pound non-edible casing. We've made as much as 75 pounds at a time but found old folks can't do like we once did. :)
I've posted pictures in the past probably in the outdoors thread about the sausage making.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

Afternoon y'all.
6.16 at work.
Got a crummy check since I missed a day.
Coffee was good.
HD work ongoing.
Looking for the magic penny!
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

treefarmer wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:00 pm
cudgee wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:58 pm
Treefarmer
Yes Sir, we intend to make sausage. We generally wait until the end of deer season and then we'll know what we have to work with as far as "sausage meat". Traditionally I used to wait until Spring Break for the school district so I'd have a week to mess with the sausage and the smoke house. But since I retired I don't have time to do that. ::shrug:: Now we usually only make 25 pounds at a time, either bulk sausage, vacuumed in 1.5 pound bags or summer sausage in about a 2.5 pound non-edible casing. We've made as much as 75 pounds at a time but found old folks can't do like we once did. :)
I've posted pictures in the past probably in the outdoors thread about the sausage making.
Treefarmer
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::ds::
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

GOOD MORNING FCD PATRONS
Welcome to all. Come on in and have a seat. Fresh pot of coffee is brewing.
33-47 outlook for today. Nothing planned for today but some chores and a visit to the gym if I can get away from the TV.
Venison sausage sounds good Treefarmer. Got some grocery shopping to do. It’s always a shock seeing prices increase drastically from week to week. Maybe get a chance to work on my lathe today if I can find the time.
Wishing everyone a blessed day.
-Oscar outta here
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
MadeinUSA

Post by MadeinUSA »

I say it’s not possible to be in a diner and not talk about politics… at least in any diner I’ve ever been in…. So I’ll bow out gracefully.

Sorry to hear about the wackiness down under.
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Morning crew, Hope everyone has a good day today. Coffee and work. 34-54 sunny. Happy trails!
David
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Good morning. dentist cleaning this morning and a few errands to run before heading to work. Gun show tomorrow morning. Have a great Friday.____Dave
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Morning all, after a chilly day yesterday big warm up overnight. Currently 36 degrees and then will be all downhill for the next 5 days. Snow, wind, single digit highs and lows of 10-15 below.
The Winter Games partying started yesterday. One dummy put their ATV in the lake. Ice is in very good condition, been driving on it for several weeks. But there is that one place that never freezes. Law enforcement, the jail, and emergency services will have a busy weekend.
I won’t partake of any outdoor activities but might go to a free indoor concert early this evening.
Got a new Ruger revolver so hope to get to the indoor range this weekend.
Have a good day and be careful!
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Mornin' folks here in the Diner. It will be a busy morning for the Bride and I. I have a delivery to make and this is the day I draw my allowance for the week so a trip to the Credit Union will be in order. At noon, we have a get-together at the church. Every last Friday of the month a batch of us older folks meet at the church for a meal and a good visit.
It is warmer than predicted at 39º and will get into the 60s later today.
Hope you all have the best day ever.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Morning folks, 46 feels like 43 sez the local yokel supposed to hit the mid 60's by afternoon.
Gonna head over to Lakeland in a little while.
Yawl have a good'un and be careful out there. ::handshake::
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Mornin', Diners.
Noticing all the temperatures being quoted this morning, I guess we're still in the running 'cause it's 32 with frost here in the Florida Panhandle, even says "patchy frost" on the NWS site for another day.
Had a great day yesterday, got some outdoor work completed that needed doing. We had some barbed wire wrapped around the Bush-hog blades and shaft. Had to raise the mower up to get to the mess and while we had it elevated and braced, we sharpened the blades with a right-angle grinder. Also excersized the old generator, hadn't started it in a couple of months. Power being off the other morning reminded me. :) We also had a successful belated birthday dinner for one of our very special friends, fried venison, Black-eyed peas, cubed "Rootibeggars", a pot of rice, homemade gravy and corn bread.
Still waiting for a buck, saw 7 does and one 4- or 5-inch spike trying to act frisky for about 30 minutes before dark.
Coffee is ready, y'all have a safe Friday!
Treefarmer

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Currently 25 going to 47. At least we have lots of sunlight this morning.

It is now being said openly that NATO and Putin are at war. During the Cold War each side was careful to leave the other side a means of backing down during confrontations. That is not presently happening with the new objective of driving Russia out of the historically Russian Crimea. This is very dangerous. Very.

Apart from a few bursts of high winds, the weather has been pretty good for winter.

Be careful at home and abroad.

dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Good Morning Everyone!
Paladin wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:14 pm Every last Friday of the month a batch of us older folks meet at the church for a meal and a good visit.
Ray that sounds like a good time but if our little country church did that it would be just another church service, we're all the older folks.

Cheryl and I are going into Denton after lunch to do some shopping at Kroger's and then she needs some fabric. I need to go to Hobby Lobby for some more woodburning supplies. Also I have one knife I put together with new handles but I need to shape them now.

Everyone have a blessed day and remember Meridian-Mike's wife who is in a lot of back pain right now.
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

Good afternoon y'all.
Coffee was good.
This week will make up for last week.
HD work goes on,
Looking for the magic penny!
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Good afternoon to all. The news from Austrailia is bad, and hope Mike's wife is doing much better by now. But the new Ruger sounds great!

We're currently at 28 degrees, and should climb to 34 in the evening. 26 is on tap for a low. The driveway is icy, so I'm hoping it will melt off as the mercury rises a mite. Looks like we might in for a long cold snap, too. April can't come soon enough. Y'all have a great day!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

MadeinUSA wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:42 am I say it’s not possible to be in a diner and not talk about politics… at least in any diner I’ve ever been in…. So I’ll bow out gracefully.

Sorry to hear about the wackiness down under.
Jim, i hope you don't mean you are bowing out of the Diner permanently.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Good Morning Diners, start of the Weekend for all of you, hope it is a good one whatever you have planned. Reading a few posts looks like knife shows and knife club meeting are getting less and less which is really sad. Anyone attending one hope you have a good time and get your hands on some new knives. Enjoy your coffee.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thanks for opening Cudgee. I came across information about Alice Springs. Sounds like what was going on in Seattle last year.

This morning's Kroger run should produce a couple of pot roasts for the coming days.

This past week I slept well. Then last night broke the pattern. Still not fully awake in spite of coffee.

Peace & Health
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

GOOD MORNING FCD PATRONS
Having my first cup of coffee as I just now awoke. Coffee is life. It’s the one thing that keeps us going until it’s late enough in the day for alcohol. I think the reduction in the number of knife shows Cudgee referred to is probably because of the poor economy. I don’t know of any collectors of anything that haven’t bought way less, or stopped buying any collectibles at all. It’s a shame. I only purchased two knives last year and neither one was a high ticket item. When I came across a Boker for $30 (shipping included)
I couldn’t pass that up. Not one purchased so far this year.
Quick Steel sorry you didn’t get good sleep last night. I have bouts of insomnia also. It’s not fun. My doctor prescribed sleep meds and sometimes even they don’t work.
33 degrees now with a high of 54. No rain.
Didn’t make it to the gym yesterday so I plan to today. Working on the lathe later this afternoon.
Have a terrific and safe weekend everyone.
-Oscar outta here
::pace::
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Morning friends, it's official Foghorn says its Saturday so enjoy the day. 42-57 and sunny. Happy trails!
Attachments
images.jpeg.jpg
images.jpeg.jpg (12.46 KiB) Viewed 217 times
David
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Mornin', Diners.
Up and fixin' to go to the woods for a couple of hours. Had a good rest last evening and since it's just cold and not windy I figured it might be a good morning. ::shrug:: The thermometers both say 30 degrees this morning as does the computer, be glad when it warms up around here.
Miss Joy has a grocery pickup between 10 and 11 this morning. She hates doing that but still does every now and then. I believe it's cheaper to shop like that. ::nod:: Kinda like when I go to the store for a gallon of milk and maybe one other item, I come home with the other item and the gallon of milk. When she goes for the gallon of milk and one other item, somehow a whole buggy full of groceries get loaded in the car. ::hmm:: I can talk like this, she's still sleeping. :)
Y'all have a safe and productive Saturday!
Treefarmer

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”