Outdoorsman Thread

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
jmh58

Re: Outdoorsman Thread

Post by jmh58 »

Dinadan wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:05 am Nice photos, Jmh. Some of the small rivers and streams in my area are clear. Tea colored, but clear. The bigger rivers are always muddy.

Spring is at it's peak along the Gulf Coast. All kinds of wildflowers blooming, like this Lyre-leaf Sage in my back yard.
Lyre-leaf Sage.jpg
I have a little Gold fish pond in my garden. Today, when I fed the fish (only two, due to raccoons) I noticed that there is a good crop of tadpoles. They like fish food!
Pond11.jpg
Tadpoles11.jpg
Thank You Mell.. ::handshake:: Sorry I missed this.. ::facepalm::
John
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Great outdoor pics Gents. Thanks for sharing.
Spent about 8 hours driving and fishing in the Northern Nevada desert today.
Caught some trout and bass. No pics due to catch and release.
Bilk Creek Reservoir...

Jerry
Attachments
20210509_125308.jpg
20210509_121637.jpg
20210509_121629.jpg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

On the way to Kings River Valley to visit Thacker Pond. Drive was a dirt road through the mountains from the reservoir to the pond. The desert wildflower were beautiful and abundant. The hillsides had thousands of those daisies bunched together in areas. The pond yielded some trout and bass off lures...

Jerry
Attachments
20210509_142958.jpg
20210509_142948.jpg
20210509_142928.jpg
20210509_142915.jpg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

In Kings River Valley and Thacker Pond...
Attachments
20210509_155237.jpg
20210509_150227.jpg
20210509_143753.jpg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Great pics, Jerry! ::tu:: ::tu:: Beautiful high desert area, I've been through the Mono Lake basin en route to Mammoth from Lake Tahoe to ski.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Thanks for taking us along Jerry.. ::handshake:: And KUDOS on the fish ya caught!!! ::tu:: ::nod:: ::tu::
John :D

zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Glad to share Gents. Was a good day.
Hope life is well on your end.
Jerry
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

7AF11962-7FF7-4083-83AF-0C775D4A30CF.jpeg
6BA3E7DE-3998-4302-A3C4-14F19485C771.jpeg
56895E17-E5C3-47E0-8E2E-CD392914CB08.jpeg
Pics from today’s “Woods Wander”. Managed to get 11 miles in.
John 🥾🥾🎒

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Thanks for posting, John, and congrats on the hike. ::tu::

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

zp4ja wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:36 am In Kings River Valley and Thacker Pond...
We also have a King River Valley, it is the start of our High Country. Here are a couple of pics. ::tu::
King River Valley.jpg
King River Valley.jpg (5.3 KiB) Viewed 1681 times
Fishing the King.jpg
Fishing the King.jpg (19.29 KiB) Viewed 1681 times
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

1967redrider wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:39 pm Thanks for posting, John, and congrats on the hike. ::tu::
Thank You John 🤝🥾🥾
John ✌️

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

cudgee wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:09 pm
zp4ja wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:36 am In Kings River Valley and Thacker Pond...
We also have a King River Valley, it is the start of our High Country. Here are a couple of pics. ::tu::

King River Valley.jpg
Fishing the King.jpg
👍🥾🥾👍
John 🤠

Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Very good photos, Jerry. That area of Nevada certainly is beautiful.

That looks like a very cool trail to hike, John. I always like seeing old historical remains like that kiln.

Cudgee, that valley looks like it ought to be in the Appalachians here in southeast North America. Not at all what I think of when I think of Australia.
Mel
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

All interesting photos guys. Thanks for posting.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Great beautiful pics John. Love the desert but really enjoy the woods also.

Very cool cudgee. Some beautiful pics as well. Thanks for sharing your area. Looks like a place I would enjoy.

What kind of fish are you catching in there?

Jerry
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Thanks for all your comments. Yes, this certainly is a beautiful and special part of Victoria, at the back of the top photo is where our snow fields are located, the ski seasons starts in a months time. I used to have a little shack up there on the King River, unfortunately for reasons beyond my control i had to let it go, and do i miss it. Was a great place to go and just get away from it all. This thread is one of my favorite non knife related threads, just seeing all the photos of different places and locations from around the world makes it a special place, and a great educational thread. And does not cause any arguments like some threads can, ::mdm:: it is just a cool place to come to. Keep posting all these great pics everyone, and have a good day. ::tu:: ::handshake::
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

zp4ja wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:41 am Great beautiful pics John. Love the desert but really enjoy the woods also.

Very cool cudgee. Some beautiful pics as well. Thanks for sharing your area. Looks like a place I would enjoy.

Jerry
Trout and down river about 10 miles in the deeper holes on more flatland country Murray Cod. Here a a couple of pics, the first one is a Rainbow trout abundant in the upper reaches of the King river, and the next 2 are of Murray Cod, very, very hard to catch. They are very wily and smart, that is why they can live up 60 years of age or longer.
Rainbow Trout..jpg
Rainbow Trout..jpg (12.9 KiB) Viewed 1871 times
Murray Cod 2.jpg
Murray Cod 2.jpg (14.43 KiB) Viewed 1871 times
Murray Cod 1.jpg
Murray Cod 1.jpg (22.23 KiB) Viewed 1871 times
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Dinadan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:59 am Very good photos, Jerry. That area of Nevada certainly is beautiful.

That looks like a very cool trail to hike, John. I always like seeing old historical remains like that kiln.

Cudgee, that valley looks like it ought to be in the Appalachians here in southeast North America. Not at all what I think of when I think of Australia.
Thanks Mel.. It was interesting descending there for sure!! ::nod:: :lol: :lol: Was surprised that I came upon that Kiln.. ::woot::

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Quick Steel wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:02 am All interesting photos guys. Thanks for posting.
::tu:: ::handshake::

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

zp4ja wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:41 am Great beautiful pics John. Love the desert but really enjoy the woods also.

Jerry
Thanks Jerry.. ::handshake:: Never did any hiking in the desert.. ::hmm::

Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

cudgee wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:33 am Trout and down river about 10 miles in the deeper holes on more flatland country Murray Cod.
Very cool. I hope to be fishing soon!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Thanks for the info cudgee. Yes, as with most all fish of whatever species, they did not get of size or age except for following regulations or more likely smart and seen all the bait and lure presentations thrown it's way. I lean towards the latter more unless they jump on anything depending on species.

Jerry
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Ahhhh, Springtime in Texas.

Found this little guy laying in the driveway today.

I was walking Joshka to get the mail, and saw it about the time Joshka (Mr. Observant) stepped on it. Luckily the copperhead was already dead.

Not sure if we ran over him while coming home last night, or if a bird or varmint got him.
Attachments
20210515_131100.jpg
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Unk wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:25 pm Ahhhh, Springtime in Texas.

Found this little guy laying in the driveway today.

I was walking Joshka to get the mail, and saw it about the time Joshka (Mr. Observant) stepped on it. Luckily the copperhead was already dead.

Not sure if we ran over him while coming home last night, or if a bird or varmint got him.
::paranoid:: ::paranoid:: ::paranoid:: ::doh:: :) ::tu::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Looks like he got popped in the head. A dead Copperhead is a good Copperhead in my book.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”