Outdoorsman Thread

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Outdoorsman Thread

Post by doglegg »

Paladin wrote:Just so you'll see that I don't strike out on every fishing trip, here is a photo of the morning's catch.
The large one is 19 inches in a cooler that is 22 inches. She weighed in at 4lbs plus. Hard for my old eyes to read a Deliar any more. The small one would not be legal except that since he came out of a private tank he is legal and since there was enough for a mess, I kept him.

Ray
You did good Ray. Your heart beat faster on that 4 lber?
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

doglegg wrote:
Paladin wrote:Just so you'll see that I don't strike out on every fishing trip, here is a photo of the morning's catch.
The large one is 19 inches in a cooler that is 22 inches. She weighed in at 4lbs plus. Hard for my old eyes to read a Deliar any more. The small one would not be legal except that since he came out of a private tank he is legal and since there was enough for a mess, I kept him.

Ray
You did good Ray. Your heart beat faster on that 4 lber?
Yep,, I actually hollered for the net at first because she pulled so hard. I ended up landing her without it, tho. :lol:

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Good catch Ray. Time for a fish fry.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

Colonel26 wrote:Good catch Ray. Time for a fish fry.
I'll put a couple of the filets on the grill tonight. :) :D

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Hey Wade.. Super to see ya back!!! ::ds:: Missed your posts while you were gone!! ::tu:: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Ray - nice mess of bass! I love bass fishing, but they are pretty much the hardest fish to catch in my experience. For me anything over three pounds is a extremely good!
Mel
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Ray, everytime you mention going fishing in a "tank" and I'm pretty sure you mean this:
Cordell-Lake.jpg
What pops into my head is this:
windmill-stock-tank-ranch-texas-6979710.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Me too, Jerry. My 1st thoughts on "tanks" comes from reading deer hunting stories from Texas and I visualized a big galvanized water trough, then I realized it was what we call a stock pond, farm pond, dug pond or even a fish pond in this part of the world.

Ray, nice bunch of fish! ::tu:: We really enjoy bass at our house. We run the ol' Rapala filet knife down the back bone from the gills to the tail and right before the blade gets to the tail, flip the slab and separate the filet and the ribs from the skin. Cut away the ribs, cut the fins and tail from the back bone and fry it along with the sweet filets! :)
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

treefarmer wrote:Me too, Jerry. My 1st thoughts on "tanks" comes from reading deer hunting stories from Texas and I visualized a big galvanized water trough, then I realized it was what we call a stock pond, farm pond, dug pond or even a fish pond in this part of the world.

Ray, nice bunch of fish! ::tu:: We really enjoy bass at our house. We run the ol' Rapala filet knife down the back bone from the gills to the tail and right before the blade gets to the tail, flip the slab and separate the filet and the ribs from the skin. Cut away the ribs, cut the fins and tail from the back bone and fry it along with the sweet filets! :)
Treefarmer
That is about the same way I do it but lately I have started using my electric knife for the job. And you got it right about the sweet filets! It almost seems like they have some sugar on them. Yummmmy! :D

Ray

I forget that much of the world does not call them tanks. Ponds is probably a more accurate name but here I guess they'll always be tanks. ::shrug::

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

jmh58 wrote:Hey Wade.. Super to see ya back!!! ::ds:: Missed your posts while you were gone!! ::tu:: John :D
Thanks John. Good to be back.

The dogwood trees are just about to bloom here. That means crappie time. I need to put new line on all my reels and get ready. The boys and Valerie have been itching to go.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Paladin wrote:
treefarmer wrote:Me too, Jerry. My 1st thoughts on "tanks" comes from reading deer hunting stories from Texas and I visualized a big galvanized water trough, then I realized it was what we call a stock pond, farm pond, dug pond or even a fish pond in this part of the world.

Treefarmer
That is about the same way I do it but lately I have started using my electric knife for the job. And you got it right about the sweet filets! It almost seems like they have some sugar on them. Yummmmy! :D

Ray

I forget that much of the world does not call them tanks. Ponds is probably a more accurate name but here I guess they'll always be tanks. ::shrug::

Ray
Alright, maybe I'm being a little dense here, but what is a sweet filet?
Robert E. Lee
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

Colonel26 wrote:
Paladin wrote:

Treefarmer

Ray

Ray
Alright, maybe I'm being a little dense here, but what is a sweet filet?
Well, and this is just my thoughts,,,, the bass comes out of the water this morning and is fileted and cooked the same day and it has such a fresh, sweet taste, it is almost like it has sugar sprinkled on it.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Ray you're makin' my mouth water. ::drool::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Paladin wrote:

Treefarmer

Ray
Like a lot of the "Texan" language, it traces back to Spanish, originating from the Spanish word "tanque", which translates to English as "water reservoir". We Texans have a lot of "lingo" that comes from Spanish origins. :lol: By the time we've Anglicized it you'd have a hard time knowing it was ever Spanish. :shock:

The term is used more in the western 2/3 of the state, generally the ranching heritage part. In the east Texas Piney Woods (where my wife is from) they're usually called ponds.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Nice mess of fish Ray and I sure enjoy all the talk about tanks and ponds - always learning neat stuff here at AAPK! OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Took the day off yesterday and went turkey hunting with my hunting partner, Billy. I didn't get a shot but Billy dropped a very nice gobbler at 0628 - he called him in beginning at 0605. Unfortunately I didn't have my scale (it was home in my tackle box) so we don't know the weight. The spurs were 1" on each leg and the beard was very full and 10-1/2". The bird weighed at least 20 lbs, but could have been 22 or 23 just judging his weight from past experience. Billy cleaned this bird with a Buck Knife (imagine that!) OH
Attachments
IMG_0373.jpg
IMG_0377.jpg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Fried turkey breast, mmmm good! Bruce, it's your turn. :)
Treefarmer

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Waiting to see yours. Thanks for these pictures.
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

OH, Looks like Billy got him a nice one! ::tu::

Ray, those bass look like good eating.

We had a fish fry last weekend on the lease, out by Breckenridge. One of my buddies caught a mess of striper on Possum Kingdom Lake recently, another bought a couple of his deep fryer pots. We had fried fish, home made hush puppies, battered french fries, and cole slaw. Of course we did it last Saturday when the wind was blowing 40 mph, but it was delicious anyway.
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

Unk wrote:OH, Looks like Billy got him a nice one! ::tu:: ,,,,,,,,,,,
on the lease, out by Breckenridge...........
When I was growing up and wanting a beer, Breckenridge was our closest wet area. It was about 60 miles but we always thought it was just a hop and a skip. Later on, Stamford went wet, then Impact.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

:lol: In Texas 60 miles is just a hop. A couple years ago my wife and I went to New England for vacation. Flew into Boston (cheap airfare), rented a car and drove to Maine. We marveled that we drove across a couple of states combined in less than an hour!
We're accustomed to driving all day and part of another and still being in Texas. :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Speaking of ponds and tanks, I grew up in the Fort Worth area. In my mind, I always called a small natural-made body of water a "Pond" and a small man-made body of water a "Tank". Tanks were usually made with a bull dozer for watering livestock and irrigation of crops. I don't know if that is right or not, but that's just how I used the two words.

My dad had a couple of creeks dammed up to make tanks on the land I grew up on. We stocked them with channel cat and large mouth bass. Years later we caught some 5 and 6 lb bass out of one.
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Mumbleypeg wrote::lol: In Texas 60 miles is just a hop. A couple years ago my wife and I went to New England for vacation. Flew into Boston (cheap airfare), rented a car and drove to Maine. We marveled that we drove across a couple of states combined in less than an hour!
We're accustomed to driving all day and part of another and still being in Texas. :lol:

Ken
I think it is further from Texarkana to El Paso than it is from Texarkana to Chicago.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Nice turkey your buddy got there OH.

I was out walking in the pasture beside he barn here on the new place and spotted these right down from the bee hive in a place I’ve seen deer bedding down. Let’s see if any of y’all can sus out what they are. Hint, they’re growing along the ground.
5C43CF43-0641-4B45-80B7-5F56D981FEF1.jpeg
Robert E. Lee
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Colonel,
Looks like dewberries to me. ::hmm::
Treefarmer

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”