Outdoorsman Thread

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
FRJ

Re: Outdoorsman Thread

Post by FRJ »

Sure enjoyed all these pictures. ::tu:: ::tu::
Joe
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

ken98k wrote:
philco wrote:Ken you've giving us all pangs of envy with those pictures. What beautiful country ! ::nod::
It was too smokey to see this when you were here last time. And now that I think about it, the the morning of this trip was very smokey also but the winds changed in the afternoon, giving me the opportunity to take these photos.
The last time I was in Alaska, was a little over 20 yrs ago. Stayed in the Anchorage area but got out a bit. Camped and fished on the Kenai and rented a Cessna 172RG Cutlass from Merrill Field and flew around the Denali Range and then off to the north and east of Anchorage, can't remember the name of that range.

Spent time talking to Susan Butcher on the flight into Anchorage... very cool lady.

I also have a cool story about being intercepted by a pair of F-15 Eagles while flying the Cessna. Maybe some other time I'll tell the story.

Here's the particulars on Merrill Field...
http://www.airnav.com/airport/PAMR

First photo I was flying the 172RG and snapping photos of the mountain ranges...

Second photo is Mt. McKinley...

Third photo is me in a F-15E Strike Eagle at Elmendorf...
Attachments
Alaska Denali Range.jpg
McKinley - 1996.jpg
Elmendorf F-15E.jpg
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Ken - those four wheeling photos make me want to move to Alaska and get a four wheeler! Beautiful country. What part of Alaska are you in? What elevation? That landscape reminds me of Colorado at the 12000 foot level.

Nice mess of trout, Randy! And I like that hat, too.

It has been so hot and rainy in my area that I have not spent much time outside in the last month. And all the rain has my favorite rivers too high to kayak. You saltwater fishermen are going to laugh at this story, but last Friday my wife and I were out saltwater fishing. It was pretty hot, so I took off my shoes. Well, I caught a catfish, not the one in the photo, but similar. When I tried to remove the hook the fish fell off the gripper and landed on my feet - one spine landed right on my left big toe and made a pretty decent puncture/slice. I do not consider myself a wimp, but I was frankly amazed at just how much pain that little wound produced. Back when I was young and ran trotlines a lot I was always getting pricked by freshwater catfish, but this was ... special.
Attachments
Gaff Topsail Catfish
Gaff Topsail Catfish
Mel
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

Dinadan wrote:Ken - those four wheeling photos make me want to move to Alaska and get a four wheeler! Beautiful country. What part of Alaska are you in? What elevation? That landscape reminds me of Colorado at the 12000 foot level.
I was in the heart of Alaska at about 3500' elevation.
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Do salt water cats not have a bit of venom in those spines?

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

ken98k wrote:I was in the heart of Alaska at about 3500' elevation.
Beautiful country. When I an in the outdoors I usually carry some kind of revolver, but that is mostly because I like guns. I guess if I were in grizzly country I would want a .44.
RobesonsRme.com wrote:Do salt water cats not have a bit of venom in those spines?

Charlie Noyes
I think they do, it sure felt like it had an excruciating venom! My poor wife may never recover from the horror of hearing my blasphemous outburst. Fortunately I do not to seem to have any long lasting infection. There have been five cases of flesh eating bacteria in my county this summer. I was more worried about that than the venom. Maybe I will wear my steel toe boots next trip.
Mel
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Got my butt kicked yesterday.......and didn't make it to the tree fort and deer stand.

One of the boys coaches, also a friend of their family, invited us to the back 40 of land that's being developed and cleared
to build new homes. There were some fires in the swatches they were clearing....

Anyhow, off to the fort we hiked, and the terrain was like freshly plowed field with 4 foot tall grass (first pic)......I was huffing and puffing.
About 15 minutes in, I said jokingly, as I was falling behind.....I might have to go back.....LOL
10 minutes later I weighed the possibility of making it to the destination, and then cramping up and NOT being able to make it back without
assistance. Yeah, I told the other parent......I'm heading back. When I got back to the car my legs were quivering.....

The boys achieved success and pics were taken.....

Back to coaches house for knot tying education.....my legs were AND STILL ARE SORE!!!
Attachments
20170801_104442.jpg
20170801_111825.jpg
IMG_2017-08-01_15-12-46.jpeg
IMG_2017-08-01_15-16-00.JPG
20170801_122400.jpg
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Scott, you're too young to be feelin' like that! Looks like the boys still had a good time. After the rains that might be a place to find an artifact or two, before they tear if up completely and cover it with houses. Those boys would love looking for flint. It'll also be a good place to pick up some fat wood. ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Those tree creatures look mighty happy. And Scott, you did well in turning back. As Clint Eastwood, the well known philosopher said, "A man has got to know his limitations." And that is true irrespective of age.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Saw my first Water Mocassin Thursday.....with 3 grands.

Tell me, you're not waiting for a pic????? ::paranoid::

Well, he was guarding this body of water I spotted
Attachments
20170803_110945.jpg
SCOTT

Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Had a great day fishing for billfish yesterday with several buddies. Spent the day trolling Diamond Shoals off Cape Hatteras; caught and released five Sailfish, hooked two Blue Marlin but couldn't hold them on the light tackle, and boated a nice Wahoo. For me personally, I caught my first billfish - what a day! OH
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Very cool Bruce!!! ::tu::
SCOTT

Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

TripleF wrote:Very cool Bruce!!! ::tu::
Yes sir! What Scott said. ::tu::

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Great pictures, Bruce. Just like they came out of my old fishing books.
Congratulations on your catch. ::tu::
A. J. McClane would shake your hand. ::nod::
Attachments
DSCN8524.JPG
Joe
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Congratulations OH. That had to be a big thrill. Very happy for you. :D
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Congrats Bruce!!! Nothing like the first one!!! NICE!!! ::tu:: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Thanks gents - it was a Red Letter day for me. Here is a sight you don't see much - five sailfish flags flying on one boat - maybe a once in a lifetime day. OH
Attachments
IMG_1016.JPG
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Congrats OH thats on my bucket list.Sum different then Bass and Trout ::hmm::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Old Hunter wrote:Thanks gents - it was a Red Letter day for me. Here is a sight you don't see much - five sailfish flags flying on one boat - maybe a once in a lifetime day. OH
I'll say!

That is AWESOME! :D
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Old Hunter wrote:Thanks gents - it was a Red Letter day for me. Here is a sight you don't see much - five sailfish flags flying on one boat - maybe a once in a lifetime day. OH
Sounds like an incredible day! Great photos too. I was not aware of the use of flags to denote catch but it seems like a very cool idea.
Mel
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Very cool Bruce. Thanks for sharing. Nothing cooler than an airborne fish on a hook. Sometimes trout do it, always a joy.
Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
big monk

Post by big monk »

Congrats Bruce !!!! ------------ or should we call you ""Old Fisherman "" now ??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Bruce you have given us something to dream about. Thanks for sharing your adventure. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

That's pretty awesome Bruce. Wow!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Thanks guys, I'm still pretty high about it today - and realizing just how lucky I was to be a part of a day like that. Bruce

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”