Outdoorsman Thread

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Outdoorsman Thread

Post by treefarmer »

TPK wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:10 pm Two good stories there Philip! Congrats! ::handshake:: If ya get a chance some time, show us that cart. Looks like it's a pretty cool toy! ::tu:: :D Do the dogs get to ride in that one with you sometimes? ::shrug:: :D
Responding to Tom's question concerning the "cart". The cart is an old Club Car 48 volt golf cart. It has a bit of a lift to accommodate the bigger tires on the front and also longer spring shackles on the rear for the same reason. It was a beautiful burgundy red when we bought it but ended up olive drab color.
How it used to look, those grands are now 14 and 15.
How it used to look, those grands are now 14 and 15.
How it looks today
How it looks today
Two different gun racks and some big time bright lights make this an ideal ride around the place. Most of the time it does pretty well in the woods and fields, most of the time:
Needed a little pull to get out of this slick spot.
Needed a little pull to get out of this slick spot.
We have a trailer that I use to haul the lawn mower that the cart will fit on when we take it to the lease property.
Cart on trailer with dog investigating
Cart on trailer with dog investigating
Tom the both dogs love to ride:
Big dog in the deer woods
Big dog in the deer woods
Attachments
Little dog in the yard, that's Miss Joy's garden bag next to him on the seat. He's probably supervising or waiting for a cat to come by.
Little dog in the yard, that's Miss Joy's garden bag next to him on the seat. He's probably supervising or waiting for a cat to come by.

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
TPK

Post by TPK »

Great pictures Philip! ::tu:: Thanks for posting! ::handshake::
Now that's a really cool ride my friend! ::super_happy:: And I bet the grads & those dogs enjoy it as much as you & Miss Joy! :D
Wouldn't mind having one of those bad boys! ::tu:: ::super_happy::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Nice, purpose built rig you’ve got there Phil - looks like it will get ‘er done! OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
big monk

Post by big monk »

Congrats on the deer harvest Phillip ,lots of good eats there ::tu:: -- I had some venison andouiile sausage made this year and have really enjoyed it. I also ate my first ""wild hog sausage"" a few weeks back and it was outstanding ( don't know what the guy seasoned with,but sho' was good**)

That cart looks like just the thing to ramble around the property and help keep you hunting, as the birthdays keep adding on ::paranoid:: -- my 4-wheeler is what gets me in & out of the woods,now days, so I can still enjoy the hunts & outdoors with minimum wear & tear on this ol' body** --- have a great day, my friends,Monk :)

PS____ Phillip, I know you process your own and wanted to pass along a seasoning mix company, that a friend told me about, You may have already found or used the folks ??? I was just surprised at the selection they have ( wish I could try them all !!! )

https://www.conyeagerspice.com/fresh-sa ... easonings/
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

big monk, I'm not familiar with that company. We've been using A.C. Leggs Old Plantation Sausage seasoning. Miss Joy's dad used it at his meat processing plant when we were first married back in 1966, been using it ever since. Leggs has a large variety of seasonings for processed meats, we use the #10 blend which is available at the local Piggly Wiggly. :)
Today was the last day of M/L season. Went over to the lease around 5pm and sat till dark, the wind was wrong but sometimes you can get away with it, not tonight. As my old buddy Wendell Hodges used to say, "At least we don't have to clean one tonight!" Wendell R.I.P. :(
As I locked the gate tonight I wondered how many more times I would get to open and close this gate? Been going into the lease on this road for way over 20 years.
Had a pretty good season, killed a doe and a 5 point on the lease and two 8 points on our farm. Thank you, Lord. ::pray::
Here is my best friend with his 1st deer (he started late in life):
Wendell R. Hodges (1938-2018)  Notice the date on the old photo 1-1-'97, a good way to start a new year!
Wendell R. Hodges (1938-2018) Notice the date on the old photo 1-1-'97, a good way to start a new year!
Here's the gate on the road we've used for a long time:
Closing down deer season at the lease for another year.
Closing down deer season at the lease for another year.
Treefarmer

garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

A good read TF ::tu:: We all wonder that ::nod::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

For folks that don't quite understand all the hoopla about deer huntin', this is part of what it's all about:
Boneless venison chops ready for packaging and vaccuming.  Nothing but pure, wonderful, wild meat!  No bone, no sinew, no silver skin, just good healthy red meat, all cut and trimmed with a knife.  No offence intended to any vegans who might see this.
Boneless venison chops ready for packaging and vaccuming. Nothing but pure, wonderful, wild meat! No bone, no sinew, no silver skin, just good healthy red meat, all cut and trimmed with a knife. No offence intended to any vegans who might see this.
Treefarmer

Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

treefarmer wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:55 am For folks that don't quite understand all the hoopla about deer huntin', this is part of what it's all about:001.JPG
Treefarmer
Lookin' good!
How do you cook 'em up?
Would they grill well, not having very much fat at all?
Or better in a stew?
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Steve, there is only one piece better than these and it is the tenderloin which is the filet mignon on a deer. These are boneless loin chops, the big muscle of the T-bone on a beef. They can be grilled, they can be seared in a very hot skillet of peanut oil for a very short time, they can be wrapped in bacon and broiled, etc.....but they can't be cooked very long! Definitely not stew meat and concerning the fat issue, we find that venison fat for some unknown reason just doesn't please our palate, it seems to become rancid if left on the meat. ::shrug::
The picture is of 4 back straps, from two deer, trimmed of anything that would tend to be tough, etc.
As we work up some other pieces I'll try and show a picture or two of how we process the deer.
Treefarmer

Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Man, fire up the grill, toss on a few chunks of oak...
I'm there!

Gettin' hungry and it's still three hours 'til lunch!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Just came by. Momma and daddy maybe they'll have a baby.
Attachments
20200303_174421.jpg
20200303_174139.jpg
20200303_174050.jpg
20200303_173914.jpg
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Steve Warden wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:47 pm
treefarmer wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:55 am For folks that don't quite understand all the hoopla about deer huntin', this is part of what it's all about:001.JPG
Treefarmer
Lookin' good!
How do you cook 'em up?
Would they grill well, not having very much fat at all?
Or better in a stew?
The backstrap, shown...is the equivalent of a ribeye steak. It is the large muscle that runs along either side of the spine. Like TF and you have said...it is very lean. In addition to TF methods, I enjoy chicken fried with cream gravy. It keeps it moist. I posted a picture, on the 14th of February, in this thread.
Stew meat would usually come from the lesser cuts and miscellaneous smaller muscles or cubed pieces from shoulder / rump cuts.
A lot of good meat there, TF!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Doc, being up here in the North, I read your post as, "I enjoy chicken, fried, with cream gravy." I'm thinkin', "What the heck does chicken have to do with deer steaks?"
Then my West Virginia blood (Dad's side), along with in-laws from Kentucky and points South, kicked in, and I realized/remembered what "chicken fried" means! ::clapping::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Steve Warden wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:12 am Doc, being up here in the North, I read your post as, "I enjoy chicken, fried, with cream gravy." I'm thinkin', "What the heck does chicken have to do with deer steaks?"
Then my West Virginia blood (Dad's side), along with in-laws from Kentucky and points South, kicked in, and I realized/remembered what "chicken fried" means! ::clapping::
Of course you can chicken-fry a tennis shoe, cover it in cream gravy...and it will taste good. ::nod::
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

bighomer wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:51 pm Just came by. Momma and daddy maybe they'll have a baby.
That's a fine buck! ::nod::
Not by any means an expert but I'd say that is a young deer. See how his body in the last picture looks like a race horse, an old buck will have more of a pronounced gut, heavier deeper body than this one. With that much of a rack now he should be a humdinger in another year or two. He'd be a shooter around here, nobody lets 'em walk around here. If I feed him, food plot and corn, etc. all year and wait for him to grow into a big boy someone else would shoot him if he crosses on to another property. Unless a person or group can control a large tract of land it usually doesn't do much good to let a legal buck walk. We tried an 8 point rule on the lease years ago and it didn't do anything but frustrate a few members and give others next to the lease a chance at a well fed buck. Our lease is rather small, 340 acres, surrounded by other smaller farms and people with different ideas than growing antlers. Our farm is only 80 acres and a buck ain't going to stay on such a small piece of dirt all the time.
Just a ramblin' comment on your fine young buck, bighomer. Thanks for sharing the pictures! ::handshake::
Treefarmer

bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Farmer I think you are on the money about him being a youngster. I was a little surprised that he still had his antlers as several weeks ago one had already shed or maybe just lost one. ::shrug:: . Anyway as you noted he'll be a hoss in a few years if he lives. Glad you enjoyed the photos. ::tu:: ::handshake::
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

During our late M/L season I chose to hunt of the lease property for now what was a pretty lame reason. :( I have a decent Knight muzzledloader that is capable of 200 yard shots, according to the paperwork and online reports. I'm probably not going to shoot that far anymore even with my .243! All that said, the lease has very limited visibility, the longest shot would be about 85 yards at this stag of timber growth and storm damage. So earlier I posted about my episode at the clay pit when I killed a small buck on the lease on Tuesday the 25th. Wednesday evening we usually go to church and Thursday I processed a deer taken a week or so earlier, I was too tired to go to the woods that afternoon. So here is what walked by my stand that Thursday afternoon. This is about 150 yards from our house, he is about 50 yards from my stand. I should have been there. ::doh:: Maybe he'll be there next season.
WGI_0001.JPG
Treefarmer

garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

He'll be bigger next year TF. :D
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
TPK

Post by TPK »

treefarmer wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:30 pm During our late M/L season I chose to hunt of the lease property for now what was a pretty lame reason. :( I have a decent Knight muzzledloader that is capable of 200 yard shots, according to the paperwork and online reports. I'm probably not going to shoot that far anymore even with my .243! All that said, the lease has very limited visibility, the longest shot would be about 85 yards at this stag of timber growth and storm damage. So earlier I posted about my episode at the clay pit when I killed a small buck on the lease on Tuesday the 25th. Wednesday evening we usually go to church and Thursday I processed a deer taken a week or so earlier, I was too tired to go to the woods that afternoon. So here is what walked by my stand that Thursday afternoon. This is about 150 yards from our house, he is about 50 yards from my stand. I should have been there. ::doh:: Maybe he'll be there next season.WGI_0001.JPG
Treefarmer

::doh:: That was close to the end of season right? Next year you'll know he is around TF. ::tu:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
big monk

Post by big monk »

Almost turkey season here in South Carolina -- I don't hunt em', but have some stop by my deer feeder for lunch,some days -- have a great day,my friends,Monk**
Attachments
Turkey.JPG
March Turkeys.JPG
Feeder Turkeys.JPG
IMG_0037.JPG
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Oh boy Monk!!! Very cool.

Had the boys out for Spring Break. Spent 2 days/nights in a cabin!
Attachments
20200318_130814.jpg
20200318_132553.jpg
20200318_144627.jpg
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

I'm sure they had a blast, Scott. Nothing like a camp fire!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

A nice article that brings back many memories:

https://sportingclassicsdaily.com/every ... -a-bb-gun/

Charlie Noyes
Hope that link works!
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Went to the woods, (after a game of fetch), and found the Dutchman's Breeches in bloom.
Attachments
20200325_113731.jpg
5464.jpeg
5465.jpeg
Ike
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Those are cool, Ike.
I don't recall ever seeing those. I'll have to keep an eye out next time I'm out on a nature walk.
A little research https://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/plant ... aria.shtml shows I'll have to get out soon, as they bloom in March and April.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”