Outdoorsman Thread

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Outdoorsman Thread

Post by TripleF »

Knice 8 point!! ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Nice buck Phil, your buddy scored well! OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

treefarmer wrote: Did that one come from the setup you posted the other day?
Treefarmer
If you went straight back about 400 yards into the woods shown in my picture the ground drops off into a hollow that runs out into a river bottom. He took that deer in that hollow, so he would have been about 500-600 yards south of my hunting area. There is a well established trail running from the woods on top to the hollow below.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Nice buck Philco, Here is my antelope I got this fall about 40 miles west of my house. About a 14 incher got him with my rem. mtn rifle in 280 cal.at about 250 yards :mrgreen: Terry
Attachments
DSC_1230.JPG
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Congratulations Terry ! I'd love to have a chance to hunt antelope some day.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The meat is as dry as a popcorn fart.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Jerry, Keep chewing it will get moist! If you grind it mix it with some good ole beef tallow. ::ds:: Terry
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Awesome antelope Terry!!1 ::tu::

Had the boys out today for a mission.....I even took a video:
https://youtu.be/Xl-L38hQjwA
Attachments
20171120_105733.jpg
20171120_101040.jpg
20171120_101030.jpg
20171120_101048.jpg
SCOTT

treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good job, Scott. I just noticed the boy settin' in the break, in the 1st picture, looks mighty comfortable. If that was in the deer woods it would make a good stand. ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I'll bet the boys had fun climbing onto that limb without falling off. ::tu::
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Quick Steel wrote:I'll bet the boys had fun climbing onto that limb without falling off. ::tu::
Yes sir they did!!
SCOTT

bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Good job with them young'uns Scott, much respect to you sir. ::tu::
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

bighomer wrote:Good job with them young'uns Scott, much respect to you sir. ::tu::

Thanks Joe! ::handshake:: ::tu::
SCOTT

Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Nice antelope Terry! That is a very cool old tree you guys have discovered Scott - I also think it would make for a great stump sitting location. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Terry,
Since Jerry said antelope meat is dry and you seemed to agree, what all do you do to make it palatable? I've never had the opportunity to try it. Just thinkin', venison can be some nasty stuff if it's overcooked or handled wrong during processing, does their diet influence the meat?
Treefarmer

terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Treefarmer, I have had really good antelope and some that was terrible, if you shoot a buck in the rut, it can be a little gammy. We are mixing this bunch with pork, beef and antelope, then stuffing it in natural casings, smoking it. Haven't tried any yet will let you know how it turns out. Buts it's been good in the past. If you fry steaks, don't over cook it or it will get a little tuff. ::tu:: Terry
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

treefarmer wrote:Terry,
Since Jerry said antelope meat is dry and you seemed to agree, what all do you do to make it palatable? I've never had the opportunity to try it. Just thinkin', venison can be some nasty stuff if it's overcooked or handled wrong during processing, does their diet influence the meat?
Treefarmer
The Antelope around these parts is the best big game one will ever eat. Never had it dry unless not cook properly. It cooks different than beef as we all know. Goes from rare to well done very quickly on the grill.

I have Antelope sausage that is phenomenal. 80% antelope and 20 percent pork. Also have some venison/antelope 50/50 mix.

I have cooked some great antelope on the BBQ. As I said, It will go south fast if left on he grill a minute or two too long. Watch the grill! If it is "dry", likely not processed or cooked properly in my experience.

Yes, diet influences the taste of the meat. Just like the difference between a dabbling duck and a diving duck. You are what you eat as they say. Diving ducks taste like crap no matter how much marinade is used. They eat fish and crap off the bottom of the river. Dabbling ducks eat grain and corn. But if I shot it I eat it...

Does the attached pics of this Antelope meat look dry to anyone? There is just hardly any fat so it cooks different.

Also, as we all know a game animal that has been chased and shot has a less desirable flavor let's say. Best tasting is shot while grazing and not run down on a chase.

Jerry
Attachments
Antelope Tender Loins before aging.jpg
Antelope Tender Loins with Olive Oil and Montana seasoning.jpg
Antelope Burgers ready to chow.jpg
Antelope Burgers ready to grill.jpg
Antelope Heart_split between me and the dogs.jpg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Jerry - My mouth watered seeing those medallions in the frying pan. While I've never had antelope, I have cooked caribou, moose, elk and black bear and the same goes for cooking those as well antelope. I look for an internal temperature between 130-135 degrees, anything after that and you have lost the battle.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Jerry, you didn't mention what the 2 pieces of meat on the paper plate were. Guessing, I'd say they were the tenderloins because of the shape. On a whitetail that is the 2 choice pieces. We wrap 'em in bacon and broil or grill till the bacon looks done, not long at all. If the tenders are sliced and pan fried, like what bestgear is calling medallions, they get about 60 seconds on a timer. If it goes past that you've got some tough meat! Ground venison by itself is so lean it has to have pork or beef added to make it stick together for burgers or pan sausage.
Thanks for the good pictures to explain what antelope meat looks like! ::tu::
Treefarmer

zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

bestgear wrote:Jerry - My mouth watered seeing those medallions in the frying pan. While I've never had antelope, I have cooked caribou, moose, elk and black bear and the same goes for cooking those as well antelope. I look for an internal temperature between 130-135 degrees, anything after that and you have lost the battle.
Hey Tom and TF et al,

The 2 beauty cuts on that plate are loins. Same as the frying pan picture.

My temp gauge is a clock and clean index finger using the “poke the meat” method. Antelope is by far the best big game around these parts by many hunter’s opinion.

Here is some elk and antelope I cooked recently. Pretty sure the cut up steak is antelope. Could have been venison though. Either way, antelope is superb. Look at the price per pond online. It is like 30 bucks a pound for the loins. Not many will pay that for something that tastes bad.

Jerry
Attachments
64DB5EEA-15C6-4CFF-AFD8-C0F8F040B50B.jpeg
8B1C2E55-BD75-440C-83D5-2DEEBBFE1BC7.jpeg
5C23538C-2CFA-4277-B9C1-405F5248CFEC.jpeg
FBA69A85-EFF5-4AAB-9E62-AB98AE841CFE.jpeg
8DD64477-E354-4886-8B19-4434233D0F82.jpeg
F03F19D6-8B71-4FE3-A30E-679BAEC53876.jpeg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

How you cook red meat is a personal thing I suppose. To each his own, but for me I'm on board with Nevada Jerry! He knows how to properly cook and eat a piece of red meat! ::handshake:: Talkin' about steaks, chops, tenderloins and even liver, needs to be rare! Don't want to eat something that reminds me of shoe leather. Stew meat is a different story. Again, to each his own. :)
Treefarmer

KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Jerry all of that looks pretty darn good to me. I've never had antelope.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

That does look good Jerry. Guess my next road trip is north to Nevada.
When I was a kid we had 300 Apple trees. The bear would climb up in them and break all the branches off. We would get permits to shoot them. One night I remember it was a full moon with snow on the ground, so it was very visible, there were at least 8 bear in the orchard. We got 3. The manure from them looked just like the Apple pulp when you make cider, any way we butchered them and it was by far the best meat I've ever had in my life. A normal bear, to me, is probably the worst meat I've ever had. A wild animals diet is key to its flavor. Just my experience.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Yea Philip. Only way eat big game is rare.

Paul, you have to try it some time.

One of my buddies on this site used fresh antelope for dog food. Bet those dogs were happy. That pic of the bloody chunks and CASE 31SAB went to my dogs.

For upland birds, Chukar is best. Taste like tangy chicken. We usually rip the breast out by hand. Really physically hard to hunt. Just look up at the rock formation about 2000 feet and 45 degree, loose shale rock climb above you on the mountain. That is where they are.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

espn77 wrote:That does look good Jerry. Guess my next road trip is north to Nevada.
When I was a kid we had 300 Apple trees. The bear would climb up in them and break all the branches off. We would get permits to shoot them. One night I remember it was a full moon with snow on the ground, so it was very visible, there were at least 8 bear in the orchard. We got 3. The manure from them looked just like the Apple pulp when you make cider, any way we butchered them and it was by far the best meat I've ever had in my life. A normal bear, to me, is probably the worst meat I've ever had. A wild animals diet is key to its flavor. Just my experience.
Come on up buddy!

You got it. Diet is key to taste.

Additionally as I said, if you chase an animal down before it dies, all the enzymes in the meat make it taste bad.

I have marinated diving duck I shot by mistake due to bad eyes and lighting. Tastes awful no matter what you do but I shot it so I had to eat it.

Jerry

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”