Outdoorsman Thread

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Outdoorsman Thread

Post by Quick Steel »

A good looking crew there Scott. Perhaps the lad in the short sleeve orange shirt may have wished he brought a jacket.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Seems that deer hunting is going a bit slow this season. My trail cameras show me what happens 24 hours a day. I have several pictures that I though some of y'all might enjoy seeing. This camera is located on an edge between our last remaining planted pines and some very rough, thick woods. There is an old fence line running between the pines and the woods. There are several trails crossing the fence and we catch some of the traffic on the camera. Click on the pictures to see more detail.
This appears to be a Bobcat going into the woods, note the time.
This appears to be a Bobcat going into the woods, note the time.
Here is a little short horned spike with his tail all flared out at the same time the cat apparently crossed in front of him.
Here is a little short horned spike with his tail all flared out at the same time the cat apparently crossed in front of him.
Here is a small 6 or 7 point a couple of minutes later.
Here is a small 6 or 7 point a couple of minutes later.
The spike and the 6-point having a little sparing session.
The spike and the 6-point having a little sparing session.
This one shows up at almost 11 o'clock in the morning the next day!
This one shows up at almost 11 o'clock in the morning the next day!
Here is the bigger 8-point on workday morning, heading south.  Got pictures of him on the 8th, then on the 12th and I actually got to watch him this afternoon for about 10 seconds.  He was moving north at 4:45 and turned into the woods before I could get a bead on him.  About 20 minutes later I had 8 does in front of me eating the green oats but he never came out.
Here is the bigger 8-point on workday morning, heading south. Got pictures of him on the 8th, then on the 12th and I actually got to watch him this afternoon for about 10 seconds. He was moving north at 4:45 and turned into the woods before I could get a bead on him. About 20 minutes later I had 8 does in front of me eating the green oats but he never came out.
You can see the shooting house across the food plot in the last picture. Maybe he and I will have an appointment before it's over. ::suspense::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Interesting photos.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

treefarmer wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:43 am I have several pictures that I though some of y'all might enjoy seeing.
I did indeed enjoy them. Raccoons ::td:: are what passes for wildlife in my neck of the woods.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Dan In MI wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:47 pm
treefarmer wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:43 am I have several pictures that I though some of y'all might enjoy seeing.
I did indeed enjoy them. Raccoons ::td:: are what passes for wildlife in my neck of the woods.
Dan, glad you enjoyed the pictures. We have Raccoons too:
The 'coons seem to rule the corn pile if any is on the ground!
The 'coons seem to rule the corn pile if any is on the ground!
Coyotes and rabbits along with Bambi and crew are apt to show up on any of the 3 cameras that I'm running now.
Treefarmer

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Nice shots, tree. ::tu:: ::tu::

Out walking the North Forty with Rocky and a mule. Just under 40° here.
Attachments
IMG_20230121_143535450.jpg
IMG_20230121_143242034.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

1967redrider wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:36 pm Nice shots, tree. ::tu:: ::tu::

Speaking of "Rocky", if you were to lose him, would you buy another one?
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:23 pm
1967redrider wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:36 pm Nice shots, tree. ::tu:: ::tu::

Speaking of "Rocky", if you were to lose him, would you buy another one?

I would probably be teary-eyed, Jerry. 😔
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Shad are at the very beginning of their annual spawning run, a few early arrivals being caught by a few lucky anglers. Hit my two closest rivers that host spawning runs, the Trent and the Neuse. The Trent is a shorter river that is actually a tributary of the Neuse. The Neuse is a mighty river in its lower (brackish) portion but gets more picturesque as it moves inland. These two photos are of the Trent River. I forgot to take any pictures while I was on the Neuse River today. OH
Attachments
5FBE777D-042A-404E-9128-35AEC6C72505.jpeg
D7CCE124-BA8B-47EF-87CF-B00279595A4D.jpeg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Great post, Bruce!
Brought back some wonderful memories of Shad fishing on the St.Johns River with my dad.
Most folks trolled with a double jig. I remember some people had two 5 gallon buckets tied to each corner of the transom of their boats to slow them down. The motors wouldn't edle down slow enough to get a hit. If memory serves me, the Orlando Sentinel sponsored a Shad Derby back in the 60s.
Treefarmer

Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Glad it brought back good memories for you Phil. I really enjoy Shad fishing, simple gear and light tackle coupled with a good hitting, good fighting fish. We have some great rivers here for the Shad runs, Cape Fear down south (I’ve never fished it), the Neuse and the Tar in the central part of eastern NC (I fish these two regularly) and the Roanoke up north near Virginia - I’ll make one run up there each spring. Shad are here early this year, so we’ll probably get a boat in one of the rivers soon. BB
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Was blessed with another little buck yesterday afternoon. Note much antler but he is legal and he'll do well in the freezer and on the table. :)
He got in trouble runnin' a doe, met with the .243.
He got in trouble runnin' a doe, met with the .243.
When I was dressing the deer this was in the offside hide of the neck.  Bullet paths once they enter a body do strange things at times as this was a heart shot from the left side quartering away at about 120 yards.  Busted the heart and went into the neck?
When I was dressing the deer this was in the offside hide of the neck. Bullet paths once they enter a body do strange things at times as this was a heart shot from the left side quartering away at about 120 yards. Busted the heart and went into the neck?
A 6 dot ('74) 2138 had the duty last evening.
A 6 dot ('74) 2138 had the duty last evening.
Treefarmer

royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Another fine harvest, Phil ... can't eat antlers anyway !
::tu::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Old Hunter wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:30 am Glad it brought back good memories for you Phil. I really enjoy Shad fishing, simple gear and light tackle coupled with a good hitting, good fighting fish. We have some great rivers here for the Shad runs, Cape Fear down south (I’ve never fished it), the Neuse and the Tar in the central part of eastern NC (I fish these two regularly) and the Roanoke up north near Virginia - I’ll make one run up there each spring. Shad are here early this year, so we’ll probably get a boat in one of the rivers soon. BB
Bruce - I'm building a home on Oak Island which as you know is very close to the mouth of the Cape Fear River. I too really enjoy shad fishing (catch and release only - too boney for me) and hope that my collection of shad darts and spoons from Gags Grabbers https://www.gagsgrabbers.com/ will come in handy around Southport. I'm hoping to be in our new home in late Spring and to be fishing daily from that point forward. Good stuff! ::handshake::
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

treefarmer wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:19 pm ...... he'll do well in the freezer and on the table. :)
thumbnail.jpg001.JPG003.JPG
Treefarmer
You are a venison eatin' machine!!! :D
Ike
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

bestgear wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:59 pm
Old Hunter wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:30 am Glad it brought back good memories for you Phil. I really enjoy Shad fishing, simple gear and light tackle coupled with a good hitting, good fighting fish. We have some great rivers here for the Shad runs, Cape Fear down south (I’ve never fished it), the Neuse and the Tar in the central part of eastern NC (I fish these two regularly) and the Roanoke up north near Virginia - I’ll make one run up there each spring. Shad are here early this year, so we’ll probably get a boat in one of the rivers soon. BB
Bruce - I'm building a home on Oak Island which as you know is very close to the mouth of the Cape Fear River. I too really enjoy shad fishing (catch and release only - too boney for me) and hope that my collection of shad darts and spoons from Gags Grabbers https://www.gagsgrabbers.com/ will come in handy around Southport. I'm hoping to be in our new home in late Spring and to be fishing daily from that point forward. Good stuff! ::handshake::
Tom, welcome to NC, especially to coastal NC. You are about 30 - 40 minutes south of Wilmington, I’m an hour and a half northeast of Wilmington but we’re both on the coast (NC has a long coast). Shad aren’t picky (except when they are) and usually its color or size. Your flutter spoons and darts should work fine on the Hickory and White Shad (American Shad) that run in our waters. Not sure that they linger long right on the coast, if you are on Facebook let me know, I will get you invited to the NC Shad page - Shad fishermen tell all and you can track their progress upriver based on folks posting their catch pictures. I’m still working so I travel the area you are moving to (south of Wilmington I have customers in Southport, Shallotte, and Ocean Isle Beach) I’ll take you to eat in Calabash - home of great FRIED seafood. BB
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

treefarmer wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:19 pm Was blessed with another little buck yesterday afternoon. Note much antler but he is legal and he'll do well in the freezer and on the table. :)
thumbnail.jpg001.JPG003.JPG
Treefarmer
Good job buddy!! ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
SwedgeHead
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by SwedgeHead »

Good times!
Attachments
Talkeetna.JPG
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

SwedgeHead wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:40 pm Good times!
Good times for sure !
Nice catch ,great pics . ::tu:: ::tu::
JP
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

::tu:: ::tu::
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Over the past few years I've seen them a couple tumes, today I saw 3 different Fox Squirrels....this one, right along the
paved bike trail....
Attachments
20230127_121649 (1).jpg
20230127_121747.jpg
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

treefarmer wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:43 am Seems that deer hunting is going a bit slow this season. My trail cameras show me what happens 24 hours a day. I have several pictures that I though some of y'all might enjoy seeing. This camera is located on an edge between our last remaining planted pines and some very rough, thick woods. There is an old fence line running between the pines and the woods. There are several trails crossing the fence and we catch some of the traffic on the camera. Click on the pictures to see more detail.WGI_0001.JPGWGI_0002.JPGWGI_0003.JPGWGI_0004.JPGWGI_0014.JPGWGI_0031.JPG
You can see the shooting house across the food plot in the last picture. Maybe he and I will have an appointment before it's over. ::suspense::
Treefarmer
Great pics, night vision ones are pretty cool too. ::tu::
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Keep stacking em Phil.
Nice Fox Squirrel Scott. I see a lot of black and black with white face in Wilson County, but in Edgecombe County they look like the one you photographed.
Swedgehead, are those Steelhead or Salmon? I really cannot tell, but they look nice and healthy!
OH
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Old Hunter wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:17 pm Keep stacking em Phil.
Nice Fox Squirrel Scott. I see a lot of black and black with white face in Wilson County, but in Edgecombe County they look like the one you photographed.
Swedgehead, are those Steelhead or Salmon? I really cannot tell, but they look nice and healthy!
OH
We're trying, Bruce!
We just saw a big Fox squirrel sitting on top a fence post as we drove home from church. Great pics, Scott.
Swedgehead, those fish are way out of my league, must have been a great day! ::tu::
The rut is in full swing in this part of the world. Yesterday morning it was a short spike chasing an then yesterday evening it was an unusual antlered buck doing the chasing. Here is a picture of him several days earlier:
The time showing is PM but is off 12 hours, should be AM.
The time showing is PM but is off 12 hours, should be AM.
I had seen this deer 2 other times before yesterday afternoon, plus the pictures. Antlers are very heavy main beams with only small brow tines. He is a big deer. After he met the .243 and Flossie walked me to him in the pines, he got to ride in the bucket.
The pines where it happened last evening.
The pines where it happened last evening.
039.JPG
As you can see Flossie loves "her" deer.
As you can see Flossie loves "her" deer.
Flossie enjoys locating a downed deer, been doing it since 2011.  She's getting old like me.
Flossie enjoys locating a downed deer, been doing it since 2011. She's getting old like me.
Treefarmer

Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Congratulations on another good buck Phil.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”