Outdoorsman Thread

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Outdoorsman Thread

Post by Dinadan »

TripleF wrote:End of summer mission....school starts Monday!!
I always hated this time of year when I was a kid! That looks like a fun way to end summer.
sunknife wrote: How ya like that Marbles knife dinadan? I've been pondering the folding hunter version of that one, I like the natural bone and the old time looking etching on the handles.
It is a pretty cool knife, Greg. If the blade steel is good, then I like it ... if not then not. I have not used it enough to know. In any case, it is a fun knife, very different. Here is a link to a little review I just put up.
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=58197
Mel
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

Thanks for the reply Mel, checked out your review as well and just ordered myself the 2 blade folding hunter with the same bone scales.
It's the white bone handles and the outdoor theme etch that really got my attention. The moose and ducks for whatever reason remind me of the old Hamm's Beer signs,
'in the land of sky blue waters'..... :D
Greg
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

I'm thinking about the upcoming hunting season, about 7 weeks away now and got these 2 knives out to inspect. Used 'em both last season and they performed flawlessly to process the deer I took. Used the Queen Mountain Man lock back to field dress the deer, for skinning I used the Lon Humphrey
fixed blade, then used both of them to debone and cut up the meat. After all was done both knives were still extremely sharp and needed nary a touch-up on the edges.
My friend wanted the hide to tan and then smoke treat so I wanted to take it off cleanly without any cuts to the underside. The big fixed blade worked perfectly at that task and was so sharp it removed hide with the lightest of touch. It also cut up the meat with with ease and the heavy weight of the
knife seemed to help with that task as well.
My friend Paul gave me a piece of the smoked hide and I used for the handle wrap on a bow I made to donate to a raffle last weekend at the Elm Hall Michigan stick bow rendezvous we attended last week. This club allows a few of us to each cut a small diameter elm or hop hornbeam tree down, take it home and return the following year with completed bows to raffle in a benefit for the club.
Here's a few pics., thanks for looking fellas. :)
Attachments
deer skin & knives - 1.jpg
mountain man & lon humphrey knives - 1.jpg
deer skin bow handle - 1.jpg
Greg
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

I should add that the lady who won this bow in the raffle is a regular attendee at these events, along with her husband and grandkids. The two of them lost everything they owned in a house fire earlier this year. Thankfully no one was hurt in the fire. I was very pleased that she got the bow, what a difficult thing for the two of them to have to go thru with the loss, my heart goes out to them.
Greg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I'm sure glad you started posting your bows. I enjoy them and your knives and the story. Don't stop. :D ::tu:: ::tu:: :D
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

Thanks again doglegg. :)
I don't wanna get too carried away showing bow pics cause like my knives I've photographed all of 'em and could bore some here for days. :D
Right now though I'll share a pic of my 9yr old grandson getting some more flintknapping tips from a friend of mine last weekend. We started taking him to these primitive archery events 4 years ago and the kid instantly became fascinated with busting rocks. I don't flintknap but fortunately have some friends who do and are more than eager to help him on his way. I can't wait for the day him and I can hunt together using his stone points. :)
Attachments
eh-1 - 1.jpg
eh-2 - 1.jpg
Greg
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

Sunknife that's very cool! I've been to elm hall a bunch of times but haven't been in a few years. It's a great shoot. I started my kids out shoot bows at a young age and they still enjoy it. I have grandkids also and can't wait to get them started. Did you also go to the Great lakes longbow invitational this weekend at Charlton park? It's about 40 min from my house.
Thanks for sharing the pictures. I love shooting traditional archery
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

sunknife wrote:Thanks again doglegg. :)
I don't wanna get too carried away showing bow pics cause like my knives I've photographed all of 'em and could bore some here for days. :D
Right now though I'll share a pic of my 9yr old grandson getting some more flintknapping tips from a friend of mine last weekend. We started taking him to these primitive archery events 4 years ago and the kid instantly became fascinated with busting rocks. I don't flintknap but fortunately have some friends who do and are more than eager to help him on his way. I can't wait for the day him and I can hunt together using his stone points. :)
Starting him this early he will be good at it and not understand why the rest of us aren't. I'm not bored yet. :D ::tu:: ::tu:: :D
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

Hopefully you'll get back to Elm Hall Doug, would enjoy meeting you and flinging some arrows together. We don't get to the GLLI event, I've heard a lot
about it and would like to get there at least once. We do attend the Marshall MI gathering that happens on Memorial Day weekend each year. I Like that you got your kids involved when they were young. I have 4 daughters and 3 of them used to shoot quite a bit as kids, now that they are busy adults not
so much anymore. :)
doglegg wrote:
Starting him this early he will be good at it and not understand why the rest of us aren't
Ya got that right doglegg. :lol:
Greg
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Greg.....that's awesome!! Keep him in the outdoors!!

I was out yesterday for a few hours in the stifling heat to make a fire.....yup, just wanted to mess around with sticks.
Attachments
20180819_092251.jpg
20180819_102756.jpg
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

sunknife wrote:I'm thinking about the upcoming hunting season, about 7 weeks away now and got these 2 knives out to inspect. Used 'em both last season and they performed flawlessly to process the deer I took. Used the Queen Mountain Man lock back to field dress the deer, for skinning I used the Lon Humphrey
fixed blade, then used both of them to debone and cut up the meat. After all was done both knives were still extremely sharp and needed nary a touch-up on the edges.
My friend wanted the hide to tan and then smoke treat so I wanted to take it off cleanly without any cuts to the underside. The big fixed blade worked perfectly at that task and was so sharp it removed hide with the lightest of touch. It also cut up the meat with with ease and the heavy weight of the
knife seemed to help with that task as well.
My friend Paul gave me a piece of the smoked hide and I used for the handle wrap on a bow I made to donate to a raffle last weekend at the Elm Hall Michigan stick bow rendezvous we attended last week. This club allows a few of us to each cut a small diameter elm or hop hornbeam tree down, take it home and return the following year with completed bows to raffle in a benefit for the club.
Here's a few pics., thanks for looking fellas. :)

Sooooooooooooooooo cool Greg!!
SCOTT

Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

TripleF wrote:
I was out yesterday for a few hours in the stifling heat to make a fire.....yup, just wanted to mess around with sticks.
Scott - I am glad to see you are not letting a little heat stop you. This morning I was wanting to take my kayak out, but I just did not want to deal with heat. I wanted to be out doors but not enough to do it. The thing is, when I do not go, I usually regret it. When I do go, even if it storms or is a hundred degrees, I never regret it. But even knowing that, sometimes I do not go!
Mel
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Dinadan wrote:
TripleF wrote:
Scott - I am glad to see you are not letting a little heat stop you. This morning I was wanting to take my kayak out, but I just did not want to deal with heat. I wanted to be out doors but not enough to do it. The thing is, when I do not go, I usually regret it. When I do go, even if it storms or is a hundred degrees, I never regret it. But even knowing that, sometimes I do not go!

Here....here....Mel. Life is too short to not get outdoors. ::tu::
SCOTT

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

A bobber bird.
A bobber bird.
Went out with my oldest son to Cedar Hill State Park this morning. He went on a run, I just hung around the perch pool and took a few pictures.
DSCN4794.JPG
DSCN4803.JPG
DSCN4804.JPG
DSCN4811.JPG
DSCN4816.JPG
DSCN4818.JPG
DSCN4830.JPG
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Knice pics Floyd!
SCOTT

Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Very nice photos, Doglegg!
Mel
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

doglegg, what a nice collection of photos. Laughed out loud at the "bobber bird." Loved the three white headed flower plant. The bird and insects, all good stuff.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Some very cool pics, doglegg!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

TripleF wrote:Greg.....that's awesome!! Keep him in the outdoors!!

Scott, I enjoy your enjoying things. Doing things just for the pleasure of doing them. ::tu:: ::tu::
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks gentlemen for the nice comments. The Lord made an awfully beautiful place. ::nod:: ::nod::
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Nice pictures, doglegg, I really enjoyed looking at them. ::tu::
Joe
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks Joe.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Very nice photos. ::tu::
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks BH
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Floyd those are a great group of outdoor shots. You obviously have an eye for a good picture. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”