What's Currently on Your Reading List?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
steve99f

Re: What's Currently on Your Reading List?

Post by steve99f »

Found a story by a favorite author I hadn't seen before today; The Quest by Nelson DeMille. This man hasn't written a poor story yet. One of his yarns was made into a movie, The General's Daughter.
steve99f
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

steve99f wrote:Found a story by a favorite author I hadn't seen before today; The Quest by Nelson DeMille. This man hasn't written a poor story yet. One of his yarns was made into a movie, The General's Daughter.
Thanks to you, I just discovered a couple of DeMille's books I haven't read. Also found out DeMille, is set to release his next novel, The Cuban Affair, on September 19, 2017.

Currently reading:
Inferno.jpg
Waiting patiently on my dining room table:
Zero Day.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Happy to help Jerry!
steve99f
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Glorious right now with True Blue waiting in the wings.
Attachments
20170620_080540.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I read Glorious a while back. Good read. Been looking for the sequel.

Meantime I'm reading this. Originally published in 1915, it's the sequel to Riders of the Purple Sage which I read several years ago.
image.jpeg
It was originally published as The Rainbow Trail, a heavily edited version of Grey's original manuscript, censored by the publisher at the time because of its strong critique of the Mormon practice of polygamy, a sensitive issue 100 years ago. This version using his original title is supposed to be the real story. Interesting read, once I got accustomed to the 100 year old writing style.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Currently reading:
51QX-kHImpL._SX301_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Next up:
ubik-book-cover-01.jpg
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

[quote="Mumbleypeg"]I read Glorious a while back. Good read.

Ken it was a good read, I bought that at the dollar tree, had never heard of the writer but figured for a buck I could trash it. Reading the list now with a couple waiting in the wings. I guess I've read everything that Zane Grey, Luke Short and louis lamour ever wrote. I've probably read everything Lamour wrote three times, and I have them in plastic boxes and if I live long enough I may revisit them again.
Attachments
20170729_070415.jpg
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Speaking pf L'Amour, I'm on the last story from this collection. This is my first of his works. I really enjoyed it and I am glad there are many more to be enjoyed!
Attachments
20170729_125526.jpg
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

L'Amour spins some great stories. I've read most of them and it's hard to pick a favorite but I think Last of the Breed is the one I enjoyed most. "A man with a knife can survive."

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I really enjoy JK's books, how about that Spyderco on the cover.
Attachments
20170809_081055.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I'm also a Kellerman fan. I've read (so far) 20 or the Alex Delaware series, slightly less than 2/3 of the series.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

My favorite WW II topic is the Pacific war. Being ex navy, no surprise. Just finished Pacific Crucible:War at Sea in the Pacific, 1941-1942 by Ian Toll. I now have in hand his second of the trilogy, The Conquering Tide that takes it to where the first left off, after Midway and goes from mid 1942 to mid 1944. Just outstanding from any point of view. Just now telling the Guadalcanal story.
steve99f
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

steve99f wrote: Just now telling the Guadalcanal story.
Be interesting to see what the Navy's perspective is/was on Guadalcanal.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

I just finished reading Stephen Hunter's G-MAN. Seems to me like the last 2 or 3 of his books are slow starters and I don't like the trend. Early on, It was good action from chapter 1. Maybe Bob Lee Swagger is getting so old it takes a while for him to get into the swing of things.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

jerryd6818 wrote:
steve99f wrote: Just now telling the Guadalcanal story.
Be interesting to see what the Navy's perspective is/was on Guadalcanal.

Jerry, the author pulls no punches with regard to the situation the Marines were left in. He lays the blame for it Adm King's feet ultimately. It was his baby. The situation wasn't helped by a split command structure ( Nimitz and MacArther) and a nervous carrier admiral.

The author gives as complete a picture as has ever been done in my opinion. Tells the Japanese side of things including political considerations and the allied side of things including political and economic. And not just generals and admirals which is the usual view. Tells of the coast watchers in the Solomons by name, provides anecdotal stories of individual action. Makes for an interesting read, not just battle maps and fleet movements.

I think a Marine would enjoy this trilogy.
steve99f
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

All my library system has available is "The conquering tide : war in the Pacific Islands, 1942-1944"

Right now I'm reading a Matt Hilton book, who is a new author to me. It's not going well and Matt may make an early return to the library. I also have a Richard North Patterson book in the queue.

Yesterday I picked up W.E.B. Griffin's "Retreat Hell", the tenth and final book in the 'Corps' series. I've read and have/had the first nine in paperback lying around here for years but I don't have and can't remember if I read #10. I do recall having trouble finding it in paperback. Oh well, it's been so long since I read the series, it will be new to me even if I did read it.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Yep. That's the title I'm currently reading, the second of three that will cover the war. Not sure the 3rd is on the street or not.
steve99f
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I'll put that on my to read list. I hope it isn't dust dry - date, location & participants.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

steve99f wrote:Just finished Pacific Crucible:War at Sea in the Pacific, 1941-1942 by Ian Toll. I now have in hand his second of the trilogy, The Conquering Tide that takes it to where the first left off, after Midway and goes from mid 1942 to mid 1944. Just outstanding from any point of view. Just now telling the Guadalcanal story.
Looks like I've got another author to run down.
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

jerryd6818 wrote:I'll put that on my to read list. I hope it isn't dust dry - date, location & participants.

You won't be disappointed.

Tony if you like military history, this is the book(s) for you. If I had to pick one word to describe, it would be comprehensive.
steve99f
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

I just started reading The Operator, by Robert O'Neill. ::tu::
https://www.amazon.com/Operator-Firing- ... l+Operator
516iwQm+5qL.jpg
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Blue, let us know what you think of it.

Got this for my birthday. It's the third book in the Amos Decker series that started out with Memory Man.
Attachments
0813170931-1.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

rangerbluedog wrote:I just started reading The Operator, by Robert O'Neill. ::tu::
https://www.amazon.com/Operator-Firing- ... l+Operator
516iwQm+5qL.jpg
jerryd6818 wrote:Blue, let us know what you think of it...
Just finished it, and I must say it is a page turner! I was a little bored during the first 4 chapters. O'Neill could have used a better editor in the first part of the book. He has a great sense of humor, and describes events in great detail. This is exciting and informative during the latter part of the book. But I did not care to read about how much he loved mashed potatoes and gravy during his childhood, or how many times he jumped off the roof. In either attempts at humor, or trying to add too much information in a single sentence, his writing is sometimes too wordy and distracting. (I can relate)

I was also a little put off by the "redacted" portions of the book. Totally unnecessary in my opinion. For instance, evidently he was barred from mentioning SEAL Team Six by name, so he wrote it in the book as SEAL Team ___. But he intentionally reveals who he is talking about in a segment where he mentions that SEAL Team One was on the West coast, and SEAL Team Two was on the East coast, so the new team was named SEAL Team ___, in order to make the Russians wonder where the heck were Seal Teams three through five.

This bit of word play aside, I know that O'Neill has been criticized by some people, saying he was a glory hound, and that he "put other operators at risk" by revealing strategies, tactics, and equipment of our armed forces. Personally, I think this is all jealousy and a load of horse manure. He does mention some tactics and strategy, but nothing that is not readily available in non-classified army manuals and news reports.

He gives graphic details of killing terrorists and makes no apologies for doing so. His descriptions are in a matter-of-fact manner that seem to be an understandable way of dealing with the bloodshed he has seen and brought about. But I did not get the impression that he was bragging about the killing, nor that he enjoyed it.

The book really picks up steam after about the fourth chapter. He details his extensive training, and makes you feel the pain and stress of Hell week.
This guy was part of the search for Marcus Luttrell, Beux Bergdall. Part of the rescue of Captain Phillips, also. He fired the shots that killed Osama Bin Laden. He was part of over 400 operations in the 16 years as a SEAL.

All in all, I would highly recommend this book. Robert O'Neill is a genuine American hero, and I am thankful that we have people like him on the wall.
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Dr.Delaware and I are getting along famously. :mrgreen:
Attachments
20170821_073956.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Finally after a bunch of years, reading W.E.B. Griffen's final book in his 'Corps' series.

Richard North Patterson's 'Eclipse', David Baldacci's 'The Fix' and John Sandford's 'Golden Prey' are waiting in the wings.
Attachments
WEB Griffen - Retreat Hell.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”