What's Currently on Your Reading List?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What's Currently on Your Reading List?

Post by jerryd6818 »

About a third of the way through ---►
Lincoln Myth.jpg
Waiting in the wings ---►
The Escape.jpg
Received for Valentines Day ---►
Enemy of the State.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Re-reading a Patrick O'Brien sea yarn titled "Blue at the Mizzen". A great series to read if the age of sail and the Napoleonic wars are your cup of tea.
steve99f
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Just finished this Sci-Fi thriller. I'm not sure if I liked it or not - even for the weird stuff I normally read, this one was WEIRD. There were parts that I thought were interesting concepts and twists, and other parts that I thought were over the top and just left me saying "huh?" Also had some bloody parts that made me cringe a little.
https://www.amazon.com/Kundalini-Equati ... B00ET8EMN0
51EXnY7amKL.jpg
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

I just started PHANTOM WARRIORS, by Gary A. Linderer.
51t0zXqMjKL._SX299_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/Phantom-Warriors ... m+warriors
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

rangerbluedog wrote:I just started PHANTOM WARRIORS, by Gary A. Linderer.
51t0zXqMjKL._SX299_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/Phantom-Warriors ... m+warriors
My daughter has Amazon Prime so I just sent a text to her asking her to have it sent to me and I'll pay her back.

Edit: Also getting book 2. I hope they're good.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

First book is pretty exciting. Unfortunately, the stories are mostly all about the times when things went wrong. The teams weren't supposed to be discovered by the enemy, but in the first six chapters, they always are. A lot of brave men...
-Blue
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Mumbleypeg wrote:I'm just getting into The Templars by Dan Jones. First couple of chapters were a little dry but it picked up and now I can hardly put it down. It's history but written so it's very readable. If you ever wanted to know the story of the Crusades and the Christian/Muslim conflict this is a good place to get a perspective, starting with a few "warrior monks" protecting Christian pilgrims in Jerusalem from the Saracens, eventually becoming the Knights of the Temple in 1119, their rise to power across Europe and the Middle East, their fall during the Inquisition in 1307 and rapid disappearance.

Ken
Just finished that one a couple of weeks ago. Found it very interesting. Sure are a lot of untrue myths about the Templars.
I like to mix it up, alternating reading fiction and then something historic or educational. Lately have been reading a few by a guy called C.J.Box. He has a series about a Wyoming game warden by the name of Joe Pickett. Kind of like reading an old western, but modern, usually ending up with quite a bit of FBI involvement. Joe's best friend is a renegade falconer who usually ends up involved in the plot sometime in the novel.
Dan
Dan
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

danno50 wrote:
Mumbleypeg wrote:I'm just getting into The Templars by Dan Jones. First couple of chapters were a little dry but it picked up and now I can hardly put it down. It's history but written so it's very readable. If you ever wanted to know the story of the Crusades and the Christian/Muslim conflict this is a good place to get a perspective, starting with a few "warrior monks" protecting Christian pilgrims in Jerusalem from the Saracens, eventually becoming the Knights of the Temple in 1119, their rise to power across Europe and the Middle East, their fall during the Inquisition in 1307 and rapid disappearance.

Ken
Just finished that one a couple of weeks ago. Found it very interesting. Sure are a lot of untrue myths about the Templars.
I like to mix it up, alternating reading fiction and then something historic or educational. Lately have been reading a few by a guy called C.J.Box. He has a series about a Wyoming game warden by the name of Joe Pickett. Kind of like reading an old western, but modern, usually ending up with quite a bit of FBI involvement. Joe's best friend is a renegade falconer who usually ends up involved in the plot sometime in the novel.
Dan
I've read quite a few of the Joe Picket series. Great reads by C. J. Box.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

danno50 wrote: I like to mix it up, alternating reading fiction and then something historic or educational. Lately have been reading a few by a guy called C.J.Box. He has a series about a Wyoming game warden by the name of Joe Pickett. Kind of like reading an old western, but modern, usually ending up with quite a bit of FBI involvement. Joe's best friend is a renegade falconer who usually ends up involved in the plot sometime in the novel.
Dan
I'm pretty much the same. Well written history, historical fiction, and fiction. I've already pre-ordered C.J. Box's forthcoming novel The Disappeared which is the next in the Joe Pickett series. Scheduled to be released the end of March.

Ken
Attachments
51vuNV1yLfL._SY400_.jpg
51vuNV1yLfL._SY400_.jpg (36.71 KiB) Viewed 3501 times
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I'm going to have to give one of the Joe Picket series a try again. It didn't latch on the first time around. (I read three)
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Just finished his one by James Rollins. A real page-turner - read it in two days while it was pouring down rain here. I've read all his Sigma Force novels. Sort of a cross of Michael Crichton and Clive Cussler with some David Baldacci mixed in.

Ken
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (27.49 KiB) Viewed 3437 times
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Got started of the first of these two.
Attachments
Rangers x2.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Picked this up at the thrift store ::hmm:: ole Dewey is a little bit on the mean side makes Mitch and Cotton seem mild.
Attachments
20180303_074139.jpg
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Given the SF patch on the cover of Book One, I assume the writer has included some stories from SOG, the Studies and Observation Group that ran cross-border operations into Cambodia, Laos and North Viet Nam.

Of the men that actually ran on-the-ground ops, the casualty rate was 100%. Not a single man without a wound. The guys that flew "Chase" also had high casualty rates incurred during extraction operations.

There were whole teams, consisting of three Americans and nine to twelve indigenous strikers that were completely wiped out and bodies still not recovered.

If you like those two books, you should read the two written by John Plaster, a former SOG commander. Someone is writing or has written a "complete" history of SOG, but I cannot recall his name at the moment.

You might also check Amazon for Tales From The TeamHouse. There are, I think, three books. There are a lot of funny, as well as tragic, stories in them.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I'm currently reading Bonhoeffer; Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy, by Eric Metaxas; the story of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, A German Christian minister that opposed Adolf Hitler leading up to and during WWII.

Not light reading.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Given the SF patch on the cover of Book One, I assume the writer has included some stories from SOG, the Studies and Observation Group that ran cross-border operations into Cambodia, Laos and North Viet Nam.

Of the men that actually ran on-the-ground ops, the casualty rate was 100%. Not a single man without a wound. The guys that flew "Chase" also had high casualty rates incurred during extraction operations.

There were whole teams, consisting of three Americans and nine to twelve indigenous strikers that were completely wiped out and bodies still not recovered.

If you like those two books, you should read the two written by John Plaster, a former SOG commander. Someone is writing or has written a "complete" history of SOG, but I cannot recall his name at the moment.

You might also check Amazon for Tales From The TeamHouse. There are, I think, three books. There are a lot of funny, as well as tragic, stories in them.

Charlie
Those two by John Plaster are tremendous books. Amazing men.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

The guy writing the history has endeavored to make contact with and collect information from every living SOG veteran he can possibly locate. It's either going to be great or exhaustingly tedious.

While searching the internet Sunday evening, trying to determine whether or not a particular SOG soldier's remains had been recovered, I came across a book re' all the actions that took place in the A Shau Valley. Title was A Shau Valor, by Thomas R Yarborough. What little I read sounded like an interesting book.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:The guy writing the history has endeavored to make contact with and collect information from every living SOG veteran he can possibly locate. It's either going to be great or exhaustingly tedious.

While searching the internet Sunday evening, trying to determine whether or not a particular SOG soldier's remains had been recovered, I came across a book re' all the actions that took place in the A Shau Valley. Title was A Shau Valor, by Thomas R Yarborough. What little I read sounded like an interesting book.

Charlie
I will have to check that out.
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Given the SF patch on the cover of Book One, I assume the writer has included some stories from SOG, the Studies and Observation Group that ran cross-border operations into Cambodia, Laos and North Viet Nam.

Charlie
You're right Charlie,
He credits the 5th SF Group (Project Delta) with creating the standard operating procedures used by the LRPs, LRRPs, and Ranger teams in Viet Nam -
Along with the "RECONDO" training.

ANYTHING written by Major John Plaster is going to be great reading!
-Blue
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:The guy writing the history has endeavored to make contact with and collect information from every living SOG veteran he can possibly locate. It's either going to be great or exhaustingly tedious.

Charlie
Speaking of the A Shau Valley, I am now reading DEATH IN THE A SHAU VALLEY, by Larry Chambers. It is an older book, written in 1998.
51sHmB8u+mL._AC_US218_.jpg
51sHmB8u+mL._AC_US218_.jpg (14.46 KiB) Viewed 3605 times
-Blue
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:I'm currently reading Bonhoeffer; Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy, by Eric Metaxas; the story of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, A German Christian minister that opposed Adolf Hitler leading up to and during WWII.

Not light reading.

Charlie Noyes
I read this one a couple of years ago Charlie.
You are right in your statement. Pretty deep - even in places it shouldn't have been. I actually put it down for about six months while trying to work my way through the chapters on his childhood! It does get better in the later chapters.
-Blue
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Petty good so far. ::tu::
Attachments
20180308_071614.jpg
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

bighomer wrote:Petty good so far. ::tu::
I enjoyed this one! ::tu::

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Everything Vince Flynn wrote was great. I've also read two of the Mitch Rapp series written by Flynn's successor. They're good too. Not Vince Flynn, but pretty good. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

20180311_175532.jpg
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”