What's Currently on Your Reading List?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
CheckSix

Re: What's Currently on Your Reading List?

Post by CheckSix »

Paladin wrote:
CheckSix wrote:Currently in the middle of Stephen Hunter's: Shooter - Point of Impact about Bob Lee Swagger. Then... the next Bob Lee Swagger story: Black Light.
One of my favorite series and author.
Speaking of which, authors that is, Hunter's last couple of books didn't measure up, at least to me. It seemed like he subbed them out or something.
I see he has another one coming out in May and I'll likely get it just because I have time invested in his other books and as a general rule, I like them. We'll see. ::hmm::

Ray
Thanks for the heads up Ray! I'm about a third of the way into POI and have found a few factual errors but still enjoy the story. I also find an author I like and I read a whole series. So, I'm glad I found Bob Lee. My kinda guy! ::tu::
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Reading Alex Berenson's book (my first by him, I think) "The Shadow Patrol

'. I hate it when an author doesn't do his research!!!! On page 30 he tried to tell me that the Army's burn unit was at Ft. Bliss in SAN ANTONIO Texas. When I was stationed at Ft. Bliss, it was in El Paso Texas and I'm sure it still is. Gave me a sour taste in my mouth right off the bat.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

The Army burn unit was at Brooke Army Medical Center, Fort Sam Houston, in San Antonio TX. As you are aware Fort Bliss was home to the Air Defense Artillery. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Anyone have a recommendation on a good book with a balanced view of the Vietnam War? I have been on WW-II for the last several years, ready to change conflicts for a while. I am not interested in fiction. Thanks, OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

Old Hunter wrote:Anyone have a recommendation on a good book with a balanced view of the Vietnam War? I have been on WW-II for the last several years, ready to change conflicts for a while. I am not interested in fiction. Thanks, OH
..............stay on WW2 and read LAST OF THE FEW by max Arthur, or my favorite, THE BIG SHOW by pierre closterman............... ::tu:: .....................
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Old Hunter wrote:Anyone have a recommendation on a good book with a balanced view of the Vietnam War? I have been on WW-II for the last several years, ready to change conflicts for a while. I am not interested in fiction. Thanks, OH

OH,
I haven't read it, but a friend of mine has.
He says Stanley Karnow's book, VIETNAM, A HISTORY is well written and balanced.
https://www.amazon.com/Vietnam-History- ... ietnam+war
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Not entirely about Vietnam... but one of the best books I've ever read, is the book by General Norman Schwarzkopf - It Doesn't Take A Hero.

I would have loved to sit down over a beer and talked with this man.

What a leader! So much respect for him!

Another book I really, really liked was Chickenhawk by Robert Mason. Excellent read!!
NRA Life/Endowment
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

For WWII, one of my favorite leaders of men, was Maj Richard Winters. His book - Beyond the Band of Brothers: War Memoirs of Maj Dick Winters... is also a fantastic insight into the leaders of men we had in the Greatest Generation during WWII.

Super respect for Major Winters!! <Salute>
NRA Life/Endowment
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Old Hunter: Don't know how deep you want to go but here are my thoughts. Taking the advisor's course at Bragg we were required to read Bernard Fall, "Street Without Joy." This is about the French and their ultimate loss of Viet Nam. Also, see his book on Dien Bien Phu, which as you may know was the great defeat of the French. Unless you are just looking for a general overview, I recommend these books as background and as an introduction to just what we were getting into in RVN.

Another resource: If on You Tube you type in "Army War College" you will discover scores of lectures on all kinds of military subjects/wars/strategy etc.etc. A number of them will of course deal with Vietnam. Although Westmorland has his supporters, I'd suggest that you watch the lecture, Westmorland The General Who Lost Vietnam.

If you have a strong stomach you can read Robert S McNamera's memoirs of VN. [ For a couple of years he was virtually on his knees in front of the North Vietnamese begging: "Just tell us what you need. Please."]

On Amazon there are many individual accounts of personal experiences and other books you may find useful.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

A novel written by a Marine who served, "Matterhorn" was written by Karl Marlantes. In real life, he was awarded the Navy Cross, the Bronze Star, two Navy Commendation Medals for valor, two Purple Hearts and ten Air Medals. I have a copy you can borrow. I thought it was PDG.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

I just finished THE GRAY MAN, by Mark Greaney. I like action/mystery fiction novels, but was disappointed by THE GRAY MAN.
Courtland was a little too much of a "superhero" to suit me.
I like for my protagonists to be more human. Not able to absorb several bullet holes in critical areas, stuff a dirty rag into the wound, go without sleep for 72 hours, give himself a transfusion, drink a bottle of vodka, and then have a nurse sew up stitches in the stab wound in his crotch without anesthesia while he drives down the autobahn at 100 miles per hour. (I exaggerate just a little, for dramatic effect)
I'm more of a Martin Cruz Smith guy. When his hero gets hit in the back of the head with a bottle, he goes to the floor and stays there for a couple of hours.
Probably why the JACK REACHER and JAMES BOND movies don't quite make it for me either.

Anyways, it's back to non-fiction for me.
Since it's fly-fishing season again, I'm re-reading the 1952 printing of TROUT, by Ray Bergman.
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Jerry I like that PDG. Haven't encountered it before.
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Plus 1 on Karnow's book.

Westmoreland's book might be OK given the time gone by but wouldn't be my first or second choice.
steve99f
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Thank you gents, I'll start with Karnow. OH
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

I have never served in the armed forces, but the posts here have me interested in some of the non fictional books.

Thanks Monte
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

Receive the new John Sandford book "Golden Prey" will start on it tonight ::tu::

Larry
Larry W

Happiness is looking for XX Case Red Stag Knives
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

jlw257 wrote:Receive the new John Sandford book "Golden Prey" will start on it tonight ::tu::

Larry
Didn't know that was out. Gonna have to jump on that one. We read all the "Prey" books (and Virgil Flowers too) and Linnea's BD is coming up in June.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I'm about half way through Tom Clavin's Dodge City. Reminds me of Empire of the Summer Moon in that although it is history it reads like a novel. Lots of history and stuff I never knew about the backgrounds of the characters involved and their relationships (for example Bat Masterson and Doc Holliday weren't too fond of each other).

Ken
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (31.5 KiB) Viewed 3436 times
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thanks Ken. Another one to put on my reading list.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

..just finished "old school"-life in the sane lane, by bill o'reilly and some other guy. o'reilly's part was great!!.... ::tu:: ::tu:: ................
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Just finished Six Years a Texas Ranger by James B. Gillette. Great book by a frontier era Ranger. Great insights and good stories. Quick read but very entertaining and very informative. Well worth the time to read.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...ray, I take my wife to the library every 2 weeks, and she gets a satchel full of western novels and reads them all!!!....... ::tu:: ................
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Absolutely love C. J. Box and his Joe Picket novels.
Just finished Below Zero.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jody744 »

Doctor Sleep has been on my shelf a couple years now, just too busy...
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Reading Emma, by Jane Austin. Difficult at times with that mid 19th century English sentence structure.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”