What's Currently on Your Reading List?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What's Currently on Your Reading List?

Post by jerryd6818 »

Phil, I've read all of those or I would be on them like white on rice.

Just finished Christmas gifts:
Mangrove Lightning.jpg
The Midnight Line.jpg
Picked up at the library yesterday. In process.
The Devil's Code.jpg
Third Strike.jpg
Evidence.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

My, you are a well-read bunch! ::tu::
My son got me this one for Christmas, GUERILLA DAYS IN IRELAND, by Tom Barry (an autobiography)
51JH+zMdZYL._SX200_.jpg
51JH+zMdZYL._SX200_.jpg (27.04 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

In the past day or two, I ordered the latest by James Lee Burke; Robicheaux,,, . Burke is far and away my favorite author and I am anxiously awaiting delivery. :D :D

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Taken from the Internet. Sue Grafton's alphabet series was a favorite for Linnea and me.

Sue Grafton, a prolific author of detective novels known for an alphabetically titled series that began in 1982 with “A Is for Alibi,” died of cancer on Thursday night in Santa Barbara, Calif. She was 77.

With the publication of her latest book in August, Ms. Grafton’s alphabetical series had reached “Y Is for Yesterday.”
Attachments
Sue Grafton.jpg
Sue Grafton.jpg (14.76 KiB) Viewed 4001 times
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Paladin wrote:In the past day or two, I ordered the latest by James Lee Burke; Robicheaux,,, . Burke is far and away my favorite author and I am anxiously awaiting delivery. :D :D

Ray
Even with my list, I got lost in the Dave Robicheaux series and now am a bit unsure what I've read and what I have not read. I think "The Glass Rainbow" remains unread but can't be sure. At least I can be sure I haven't read his latest one. :)
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I'm just getting into The Templars by Dan Jones. First couple of chapters were a little dry but it picked up and now I can hardly put it down. It's history but written so it's very readable. If you ever wanted to know the story of the Crusades and the Christian/Muslim conflict this is a good place to get a perspective, starting with a few "warrior monks" protecting Christian pilgrims in Jerusalem from the Saracens, eventually becoming the Knights of the Temple in 1119, their rise to power across Europe and the Middle East, their fall during the Inquisition in 1307 and rapid disappearance.

Ken
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (27.02 KiB) Viewed 4019 times
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Hey, now THAT looks interesting!
-Blue
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Reading Brad Thor right now, got this one at the thrift store yesterday looks like it might be a decent read.
Attachments
20171230_090021.jpg
LanG

Post by LanG »

Based on recommendations from this thread, I picked up my first C.J. Box book a couple days ago, The Highway.
Finished it in two sittings, which is unusual for me.
I enjoyed his writing, and spent $16 of my ebay bux on 5 more of his books (they had a buy 4, get one free deal). All 5 of them from the Joe Pickett series.

If anyone would like my copy of The Highway, pm me your mailing info and it's yours.
It is a paperback copy from the thrift store, so it's used and small print!
Lan
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

I was given "American Gods" for Christmas by Neil Gaiman. Came out about 2002. Never heard of it or the author before starting reading this. About 2/3rds of the way and still not sure where this is going. I am hooked though.
steve99f
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Read the first three, "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo", "The Girl Who Played With Fire", "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest". Enjoyed them very much so I decided to see if David Lagercrantz is up to the standard Stieg Larsson set.
Attachments
0104180823.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

LanG wrote:Based on recommendations from this thread, I picked up my first C.J. Box book a couple days ago, The Highway.
Finished it in two sittings, which is unusual for me.
I enjoyed his writing, and spent $16 of my ebay bux on 5 more of his books (they had a buy 4, get one free deal). All 5 of them from the Joe Pickett series.

If anyone would like my copy of The Highway, pm me your mailing info and it's yours.
It is a paperback copy from the thrift store, so it's used and small print!
Box is probably my favorite current author. I usually get his books as soon as they're available. The only problem is my wife has taken a liking to him also and has beat me to the last two when they arrived in the mailbox. So I've had to wait until she finished them before I got my chance. ::dang::

In addition to the Joe Pickett series, Box has now written three or four more of The Highway series. In addition to being pretty good mysteries, the villains in his books typically will make your skin crawl. :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I'm currently in the middle of an interesting sci-fi thriller: Extreme Makeover by Dan Wells. I didn't know anything about this book when I started it, but now that I'm at about the halfway mark, I'm really enjoying it. I'm a huge science and speculative fiction reader (have been since I was just a nipper) and I really like the very unique way this book has taken one idea in science out to a possible future that is not very pleasant to contemplate. Every chapter in the book has a heading that gives the time, date, location and an additional line like this:

Chapter 1
Thursday, March 22
9:01 AM
NewYew Headquarters, Manhattan
267 DAYS TO THE END OF THE WORLD
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I'm about 3/4 through Anthony Adverse by Hervey Allen. One of the most interesting, fascinating and educational novels I've ever read. An amazing epic story set in the late 1700s and early 1800s. The book was published in 1933 and sold over a million copies then, but I had somehow never heard of it until an old movie version from 1936 that was on TCM a couple of months ago got me curious about it. The epic story of a man's life from the circumstances of his orphan birth, rise to wealth, adventures and fascinating people he meets while crisscrossing Europe, Africa, and the Americas during the French Revolution and Napoleanic Europe.

IMHO ranks right up there with Les Miserables, Great Expectations, Gone With the Wind, and Lonesome Dove. Warning - it is 1200 pages (it was later split into three books - the movie covers only about half of the original novel). I've had to frequently consult a dictionary to decipher some of the terms. But my vocabulary is much improved! :lol:

Ken
Attachments
image.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Almost finished with this.
51aP0v6OncL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_[1].jpg
51aP0v6OncL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_[1].jpg (29.09 KiB) Viewed 3817 times
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

About a third of the way through ---►
Lincoln Myth.jpg
Waiting in the wings ---►
The Escape.jpg
Received for Valentines Day ---►
Enemy of the State.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Re-reading a Patrick O'Brien sea yarn titled "Blue at the Mizzen". A great series to read if the age of sail and the Napoleonic wars are your cup of tea.
steve99f
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Just finished this Sci-Fi thriller. I'm not sure if I liked it or not - even for the weird stuff I normally read, this one was WEIRD. There were parts that I thought were interesting concepts and twists, and other parts that I thought were over the top and just left me saying "huh?" Also had some bloody parts that made me cringe a little.
https://www.amazon.com/Kundalini-Equati ... B00ET8EMN0
51EXnY7amKL.jpg
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

I just started PHANTOM WARRIORS, by Gary A. Linderer.
51t0zXqMjKL._SX299_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/Phantom-Warriors ... m+warriors
-Blue
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

rangerbluedog wrote:I just started PHANTOM WARRIORS, by Gary A. Linderer.
51t0zXqMjKL._SX299_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/Phantom-Warriors ... m+warriors
My daughter has Amazon Prime so I just sent a text to her asking her to have it sent to me and I'll pay her back.

Edit: Also getting book 2. I hope they're good.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

First book is pretty exciting. Unfortunately, the stories are mostly all about the times when things went wrong. The teams weren't supposed to be discovered by the enemy, but in the first six chapters, they always are. A lot of brave men...
-Blue
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Mumbleypeg wrote:I'm just getting into The Templars by Dan Jones. First couple of chapters were a little dry but it picked up and now I can hardly put it down. It's history but written so it's very readable. If you ever wanted to know the story of the Crusades and the Christian/Muslim conflict this is a good place to get a perspective, starting with a few "warrior monks" protecting Christian pilgrims in Jerusalem from the Saracens, eventually becoming the Knights of the Temple in 1119, their rise to power across Europe and the Middle East, their fall during the Inquisition in 1307 and rapid disappearance.

Ken
Just finished that one a couple of weeks ago. Found it very interesting. Sure are a lot of untrue myths about the Templars.
I like to mix it up, alternating reading fiction and then something historic or educational. Lately have been reading a few by a guy called C.J.Box. He has a series about a Wyoming game warden by the name of Joe Pickett. Kind of like reading an old western, but modern, usually ending up with quite a bit of FBI involvement. Joe's best friend is a renegade falconer who usually ends up involved in the plot sometime in the novel.
Dan
Dan
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

danno50 wrote:
Mumbleypeg wrote:I'm just getting into The Templars by Dan Jones. First couple of chapters were a little dry but it picked up and now I can hardly put it down. It's history but written so it's very readable. If you ever wanted to know the story of the Crusades and the Christian/Muslim conflict this is a good place to get a perspective, starting with a few "warrior monks" protecting Christian pilgrims in Jerusalem from the Saracens, eventually becoming the Knights of the Temple in 1119, their rise to power across Europe and the Middle East, their fall during the Inquisition in 1307 and rapid disappearance.

Ken
Just finished that one a couple of weeks ago. Found it very interesting. Sure are a lot of untrue myths about the Templars.
I like to mix it up, alternating reading fiction and then something historic or educational. Lately have been reading a few by a guy called C.J.Box. He has a series about a Wyoming game warden by the name of Joe Pickett. Kind of like reading an old western, but modern, usually ending up with quite a bit of FBI involvement. Joe's best friend is a renegade falconer who usually ends up involved in the plot sometime in the novel.
Dan
I've read quite a few of the Joe Picket series. Great reads by C. J. Box.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

danno50 wrote: I like to mix it up, alternating reading fiction and then something historic or educational. Lately have been reading a few by a guy called C.J.Box. He has a series about a Wyoming game warden by the name of Joe Pickett. Kind of like reading an old western, but modern, usually ending up with quite a bit of FBI involvement. Joe's best friend is a renegade falconer who usually ends up involved in the plot sometime in the novel.
Dan
I'm pretty much the same. Well written history, historical fiction, and fiction. I've already pre-ordered C.J. Box's forthcoming novel The Disappeared which is the next in the Joe Pickett series. Scheduled to be released the end of March.

Ken
Attachments
51vuNV1yLfL._SY400_.jpg
51vuNV1yLfL._SY400_.jpg (36.71 KiB) Viewed 3503 times
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I'm going to have to give one of the Joe Picket series a try again. It didn't latch on the first time around. (I read three)
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”