What's Currently on Your Reading List?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Steve Warden

Re: What's Currently on Your Reading List?

Post by Steve Warden »

Just finished Louis L'Amour's CROSSIRE TRAIL.
Up next...
20180819_201318.jpg
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Steve Warden wrote:Just finished Louis L'Amour's CROSSFIRE TRAIL.
Up next...
20180819_201318.jpg
Good TV movie and I'm sure it was a good book.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Steve Warden wrote:Just finished Louis L'Amour's CROSSIRE TRAIL.
Up next...
20180819_201318.jpg
Just finishing up "Blood and Thunder" at the moment myself Steve - a good read that really gave me a feel for Kit Carson and the old West ::tu:: ... I've been hooked on books on 1800s American history for a few years now and particularly those about pioneers/adventurers of this country - one in particular I enjoyed was the Revenant (story of Hugh Glass) which was a also a good read and abit different than the movie in many ways..... Also read every book in the Shaara series on the Civil War which actually are considered historical fiction but they certainly captured my interest by pulling you into the story rather than reading "dry" history...

At the moment trying to find my next book along these lines and love to hear suggestions if anybody else has any good recommendations ::tu:: ...

Post by FRJ »

I read Blood and Thunder as well. Great read. ::tu::
Joe
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I'm currently re-reading one of my all-time favorite novels by one of my all-time favorite authors, Isaac Asimov's The Gods Themselves. An absolute classic of SciFi that won both the Nebula (1972) & Hugo (1973) awards for best novel.
18dy3zu1pzs8bjpg.jpg
18dy3zu1pzs8bjpg.jpg (38.69 KiB) Viewed 3735 times
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Reading this at present, bought 4 at the flea mkt. Saturday for a buck.
Attachments
20180821_053757.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

bighomer wrote:Reading this at present, bought 4 at the flea mkt. Saturday for a buck.
I like Baldacci and have read a lot of his books but have not gotten to that one yet.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Jerry it's a '98 edition a little different from his normal stuff but a fine read. ::tu::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Found this one at a thrift store. Picked it up and put it down several times, but after I got past the first chapter it turned out to be a great read. Not your typical Western, more of a historical fiction of the settlement of western Dakotas and eastern Montana cattle ranches. Main character a young well-connected New Yorker who goes hunting in the 1880s west to find himself, becomes a cattle rancher but ends up a powerful politician (mindful of Theodore Roosevelt?).

I'll be looking for more by this author. Was not familiar with him, it turns out he wrote a few that that were made into Hollywood movies (Warlock).

Ken
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (23.38 KiB) Viewed 3651 times
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I read history books in my spare time. Am I weird? Barbara Tuchman is my favorite author. The Guns Of August, ignited in me a love for WW1 history. Her Zimmerman Telegraph read like a spy novel. And her book The First Salute was an amazing read if you are interested in the founding of out nation.
The March Of Folly and her book on General Stilwell in China were both well done. Two of her books won the Pulitzer Prize, The Guns of August and Stilwell. If you like history and have not read her books, do yourself a favor and get her books.
Mark
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:I'm currently re-reading one of my all-time favorite novels by one of my all-time favorite authors, Isaac Asimov's The Gods Themselves. An absolute classic of SciFi that won both the Nebula (1972) & Hugo (1973) awards for best novel.
Been a while (40 years) since I read that, but I still remember parts of it.

TFL, (or anyone else) since you are a scifi fan, I would be interested in any seeing the names of any current authors that you like. I guess I am getting old and onery, but I have a hard time finding new scifi writers that I like.

Fair is fair, so I will drop the name Peter F. Hamilton as my favorite scifi author who is still (I hope) writing.
Mel
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Dinadan wrote: my favorite scifi author who is still (I hope) writing.
According to Wikipedia --- "He is currently working on a new trilogy of books set in a new universe, collectively titled Salvation."
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

jerryd6818 wrote:
According to Wikipedia --- "He is currently working on a new trilogy of books set in a new universe, collectively titled Salvation."
Thanks, Jerry. Maybe I should give Baldacci a try.
Mel
TwoFlowersLuggage

Dinadan wrote: Been a while (40 years) since I read that, but I still remember parts of it.

TFL, (or anyone else) since you are a scifi fan, I would be interested in any seeing the names of any current authors that you like. I guess I am getting old and onery, but I have a hard time finding new scifi writers that I like.

Fair is fair, so I will drop the name Peter F. Hamilton as my favorite scifi author who is still (I hope) writing.
Hmm, well, if you read SF, then you probably already know most of my favorites: Isaac Asimov, Robert A. Heinlein, Larry Niven, Arthur C. Clarke, Poul Anderson, Robert Silverberg, Ben Bova and just about any of the other authors found on anyone's "all-time best SF writers" list.

But, here's some more that are not always household names: Vernor Vinge, Connie Willis, Joe Haldeman, William Gibson, Jerry Pournelle, Stephen Baxter, Harry Turtledove, Mike Resnick, Harry Harrison, Richard K. Morgan, Daniel Suarez, Kage Baker...

If you asked me the same question next week, I would probably give you a completely different list... :lol:
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

You'll find a Turtledove recommendation from me a few pages back. ::tu::
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Dinadan wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:
Thanks, Jerry. Maybe I should give Baldacci a try.
You should. Very entertaining.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
TwoFlowersLuggage

Tsar Bomba wrote:You'll find a Turtledove recommendation from me a few pages back. ::tu::
You bet! The king of alternative history. I've read the entire Worldwar and Southern Victory series. I love alternative history and time-travel stories.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:
Dinadan wrote: Been a while (40 years) since I read that, but I still remember parts of it.

Hmm, well, if you read SF, then you probably already know most of my favorites: Isaac Asimov, Robert A. Heinlein, Larry Niven, Arthur C. Clarke, Poul Anderson, Robert Silverberg, Ben Bova and just about any of the other authors found on anyone's "all-time best SF writers" list.

But, here's some more that are not always household names: Vernor Vinge, Connie Willis, Joe Haldeman, William Gibson, Jerry Pournelle, Stephen Baxter, Harry Turtledove, Mike Resnick, Harry Harrison, Richard K. Morgan, Daniel Suarez, Kage Baker...

If you asked me the same question next week, I would probably give you a completely different list... :lol:
Thanks. I grew up on Heinlein, Clarke, Simak, and Asimov. Later Anderson and Pournelle were two of my favorites: I have read almost all on your list and I may just not remember the others.

Over the past couple of decades David Weber. John Ringo, and David Drake have written some of my favorite scifi. Anyway, sometimes late at night, after midnight, I will have this fantasy that I will discover an author I have never heard of who has published over a dozen books that I like. But when the morning sun rises and burns off the mists and dew I realize just how unlikely that dream really is.
Mel
TwoFlowersLuggage

Ahh - yes - Honor Harrington at the helm of a fleet of super dreadnaughts!

Have you read any B.V. Larson? Both the Undying Mercenaries and Star Force series are very good. Also, the Legion of the Damned series by William Dietz.
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

I usually don't read political books, but I met the two authors and decided that if their writing is as engaging as their conversation, then it might be worth a try.
Let Trump Be Trump
Let Trump Be Trump
A couple of very interesting gentlemen. They signed a copy for me and I love the inscription.
"Don't ever get tired of WINNING."
https://www.amazon.com/Let-Trump-Be-Ins ... trump+book
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
abrowe

Post by abrowe »

I picked these up at a gun show this morning for a song. Quite interesting so far.
Attachments
IMG_0147[661].JPG
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Just so no one gets a crick in their neck.........
IMG_0147[661].JPG

So on to what I'm currently reading. I'm almost finished with the 4th in the Memory Man series.
0909180926-1.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I read the first two. Guess I need to get three and four. I like the character and his story.

I have just finished Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, probably for the 6th time. I bought these at Barnes & Noble from their faux leather classic editions display. Nicely done books.

Most everyone should read these and I read long ago that one should read them at different stages in their life as they age and mature. A different perspective is appreciated each time.

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is the most banned book in America, if not the world. People are turned off by the use of "n****r" throughout the book, but they consistently fail to understand how Twain was using that to condemn slavery and racism.

Even though he grew up in Missouri with an acceptance of slavery, he married a woman from an abolitionist New England family and developed an abhorrence for it and he spoke against it on his world tours and the treatment of minorities wherever he was, whether that was Australia. South Africa, India, etc.

Books are ten dollars each at B & N.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Those are two of my favorites, Charlie! ::tu::
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

New John Sandford book, I like reading all his books
Attachments
91CFC9DE-1CB7-4A30-897E-B2F9BFE6E473.jpeg
Larry W

Happiness is looking for XX Case Red Stag Knives

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”