What's Currently on Your Reading List?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
americanedgetech

Re: What's Currently on Your Reading List?

Post by americanedgetech »

The EPA Guide to Cleaner Technologies.

I am on a fast track toward building my own 5 gallon (10 gallon tank) Ultra Sonic cleaner.

This particular book goes into a little more detail on chemical interactions, and their by-products as well as the efficiency of most popular cleaning solvents in their given applications.
There are a few things (so far) that I was totally unaware of.
example:
Vacuum ultra sonic cleaning. No water or solvent is used at all.
A vacuum chamber is drawn down, and the chamber is activated with ultra sonic waves. The waves alone dislodge debris including oils from the surface being cleaned.

Or... Vacuum dryers. The boiling point of a liquid goes down under vacuum. I knew that part but never thought about it as a shop tool.

Cool stuff for me because I'm not a story book fan. I prefer technical reads. It's short. about 30 pages. More of an overview.
Here's the link... https://books.google.com/books?id=hVeit ... er&f=false
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Tsar Bomba wrote:
steve99f wrote:About halfway through Heinlein's The Puppet Masters first copyright 1951.
A fine selection, Steve. ::tu:: I recently finished a re-read of The Cat Who Walk Through Walls. I always seem to pick up "new" little bits here and there with new looks at Heinlein novels.
I've read most of his work before but it has been decades, probably the 80's anyway. I missed this one though. The social commentary is the attraction for me aside from well written stories and great characters. I believe "the Cat who..." is next and then Stranger in a Strange Land. I know I've read both before but they were soooo goood! The "Stranger..." edition is the original text, the one I read way back when was heavily edited so as not to offend the marketplace. I don't have that copy to do a side by side though.

I picked all three up at a second hand store called 2nd and Charles. Used books, CD'c, video's, games. A '70's kind of vibe. Good deals though and they do buy stuff back or give store credit. It is a chain, check them out.
steve99f
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

MITCH RAPP wrote:8) Hey Ray, you know they made Vince Flynn's book "AMERICAN ASSASSIN" into a movie, being released this month. I don't know if it will be any good or not but at least they didn't Cast Tom Cruise as Mitch Rapp :lol:
Recently read "AMERICAN ASSASSIN". Saw the movie last weekend. It sucked (the movie, not the book).
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

jerryd6818 wrote:
MITCH RAPP wrote:8) Hey Ray, you know they made Vince Flynn's book "AMERICAN ASSASSIN" into a movie, being released this month. I don't know if it will be any good or not but at least they didn't Cast Tom Cruise as Mitch Rapp :lol:
Recently read "AMERICAN ASSASSIN". Saw the movie last weekend. It sucked (the movie, not the book).
Jerry,
Yours is the 1st bad review I read on the movie. Anything in particular you disliked? Were you a reader of the Mitch Rapp books?

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Paladin wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:
Yours is the 1st bad review I read on the movie. Anything in particular you disliked? Were you a reader of the Mitch Rapp books?
Haven't read the book (yet) but from what I've heard Tom Cruise was a stone cold awful miscasting as Mitch Rapp in that film.

The reviews I've seen online and heard in person seem to be split nearly 50/50.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I read all of the Mitch Rapp series including the first two written by the new author (not Vince Flynn quality but still pretty good). I thoroughly enjoyed them all.

I suspect if you've never read a Mitch Rapp novel, the movie would be okay. For me it was a disappointment. The movie doesn't even try to develop Rapp's personality or the character's cunning, intelligence and grit (which was the main point and objective of American Assassin the novel). As chronologically the first in the series it is about Rapp's history, how he was found, trained and developed. Only in the last part of the book was he deployed on a mission.

The movie pays lip service to the training and development and can't wait to get Rapp on a mission. It's an action flick with martial arts and computer-generated special effects. Aside from the main characters Mitch Rapp, Stan Hurley, and Irene Kennedy, all the other characters and the plot are completely new and different than the novel American Assassin. The movie's newly-invented main bad guy, played by actor Taylor Kitsch, was IMHO the most interesting and well acted character. Too bad they didnt cast him as Rapp.

BTW the character Mitch Rapp wasn't played by Tom Cruise. Cruise played Jack Reacher.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Mumbleypeg wrote:BTW the character Mitch Rapp wasn't played by Tom Cruise. Cruise played Jack Reacher.
Ah, thank you! I'm conflating all the summer action movies, apparently. Which is not a surprise, seeing as I haven't seen a new first-run film in longer than I can remember. ::nod::

I Googled the actor playing Mitch Rapp and I still don't think I could pick the guy out of a lineup if he were holding a $10,000 check behind his back made out to me. ::rotflol::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Paladin wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:
Jerry,

Ray
All except the newest one. I misspoke and American Assassin was not a recent read for me. :oops: As said, they spent almost no time developing the character and I didn't think the character was true to the books. It was just violence for the sake of violence. Not well done at all and the actor who played Mitch Rapp didn't fit my image of him.
Attachments
Vince Flynn Books.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

jerryd6818 wrote:
Paladin wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote: Recently read "AMERICAN ASSASSIN". Saw the movie last weekend. It sucked (the movie, not the book).
Jerry,

Ray
All except the newest one. I misspoke and American Assassin was not a recent read for me. :oops: As said, they spent almost no time developing the character and I didn't think the character was true to the books. It was just violence for the sake of violence. Not well done at all and the actor who played Mitch Rapp didn't fit my image of him.
I haven't seen the movie but from the trailers, I sure wondered about the image thing. The actor looked kinda wimpy to me and wimpy is a word that would, or should, never appear in the same sentence as Mitch Rapp. :lol: :D

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I'm reading "The Testament" by John Grisham. It's the most recent in a string of his books I've read of late. I've become a fan of his writings. So far I'm about a third of the way through it and it's not bad.
Attachments
Book.JPG
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

FRJ wrote:
zzyzzogeton wrote:I’m working my way through E.T. Seton’s 6 volume set “Pioneering and Woodcraft”. Seton was a friend of Sir Baden Powell, who formed the Boy Scouts. Seton had already started a group called Woodcraft Inidians in 1902 - 7 years before the Boy Scouts were first formed, that Powell used as a basis for the Scouts.
Ernest Thompson Seton, he should be in the library of anyone who loves the outdoors.
I have a 6-volume set of these that were published in 1926, but his books are still in print. Wonderful books by an interesting and extremely talented author. Seton was a naturalist and a student of American Indian culture - do an Internet search for both "Ernest Thompson Seton" and "Woodcraft Indians". The drawings alone are fantastic works. The Seton Memorial Library, the official BSA library located at Philmont, is named for him and contains his personal library.

When I was a scout leader I frequently referred to these books, along with my own old 1950s issue of the Handbook for Boys (the Boy Scout manual) for camp activities, ideas, campcraft knowledge, and campfire stories. I still use some of it with my grandsons. People seem to think kids have changed, but boys are boys - they're still interested in the same stuff they were interested in 100 years ago - you just have to get the %+#* video games out of their hands and get them outdoors!

Ken
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

philco wrote:I'm reading "The Testament" by John Grisham. It's the most recent in a string of his books I've read of late. I've become a fan of his writings. So far I'm about a third of the way through it and it's not bad.
Sounds intriguing. I've read a lot of Grisham but not this one. I'll have to see if I can get my hands on it. Just checked and fortunately one of our libraries has it.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Lots of good titles guys!
I'm currently reading the second of Robert Parker's Jesse Stone novels, DEATH IN PARADISE.
After that, it's gonna be TY COBB: A TERRIBLE BEAUTY, by Charles Leerhsen. He debunks a lot of the misinformation written by Al Stump about Ty Cobb being a racist murderer who sharpened his spikes before every game in order to inflict pain on the opposition.
https://www.amazon.com/Death-Paradise-J ... n+paradise
https://www.amazon.com/Ty-Cobb-Terrible ... s+leerhsen
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

MITCH RAPP wrote:
Paladin wrote:
MITCH RAPP wrote:8) Got this one on pre-order from Amazon ::tu::
Mitch,
Please give us a review on this on when you are thru with it. I became a ardent fan when Vince Flynn was at the helm and need to know if I want to get back into them.

Ray
8) Ray, this is the 3rd post Vince Flynn book and I got to say this Guy does a Real decent job carrying on the Mitch Rapp legacy. ::tu::
I just finished ORDER TO KILL, the 2nd of the Mitch Rapp series by Kyle MIlls for Vince Flynn. This one was a thriller from start to finish. I can hardly wait to get the 3rd in the series.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I picked up this nice old Charles Russell at the local book store today. He was a hoot.
Attachments
DSCN9973.JPG
DSCN9975.JPG
DSCN9976.JPG
DSCN9977.JPG
DSCN9978.JPG
Joe
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

Just received the New John Sandford book " Deep Freeze" a Virgil Flowers Novel , going to save it for a few weeks :roll:
Larry W

Happiness is looking for XX Case Red Stag Knives
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

jlw257 wrote:Just received the New John Sandford book " Deep Freeze" a Virgil Flowers Novel , going to save it for a few weeks :roll:
I've read all of John Sandford's "Prey" books and Virgil Flowers books except "Deep Freeze". Love 'em.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Larry, Linnea bought "Deep Freeze" and brought it over last weekend. I'm about 2/3 of the way through it. It's good as usual.
Attachments
1125172009.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I am currently reading a series by an English writer named James Runcie.

They are mysteries involving an Anglican priest and WWII veteran named Sidney Chambers.

They mostly take place in a small village outside Cambridge called Grantchester.

Some of the stories have been produced for Masterpiece Mysteries on PBS.

There are six books, thus far.

There is a good bit of Christian Spirituality in them. No bad language, no graphic sex, but lots of death and mayhem.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

About to finish Easy Going by Leon Hale. Hale was a newspaper man who wrote a column three times a week in the Houston Post and later in the Houston Chronicle[/] about places and people he encounters while traveling around Texas. This book was originally published in 1973 and is a collection of Hale's newspaper columns from the 1960s and early 1970s, and stories from his own youth while growing up in west Texas during the 1930s. Great story telling and a great read. The stories range from somber and reflective, to wry humor, to laugh-out-loud hilarious.

Ken
image.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Mumbleypeg wrote:About to finish Easy Going by Leon Hale. Hale was a newspaper man who wrote a column three times a week in the Houston Post and later in the Houston Chronicle[/] about places and people he encounters while traveling around Texas. This book was originally published in 1973 and is a collection of Hale's newspaper columns from the 1960s and early 1970s, and stories from his own youth while growing up in west Texas during the 1930s. Great story telling and a great read. The stories range from somber and reflective, to wry humor, to laugh-out-loud hilarious.

Ken
image.jpeg

Leon Hale is a paternal Uncle to one of my cousins on my dad's side, not this Leon Hale of course but it could very well be shirt tail kin because there are some of those Hales down in Texas. Couldn't find the book in our library but I did find a copy on Amazon that I may order.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

jerryd6818 wrote: Leon Hale is a paternal Uncle to one of my cousins on my dad's side, not this Leon Hale of course but it could very well be shirt tail kin because there are some of those Hales down in Texas. Couldn't find the book in our library but I did find a copy on Amazon that I may order.
Funny you should say that Jerry. One chapter in the book is called "Shirttail Days", containing stories about his youth, growing up with his friends, cousins, aunts and uncles. In fact some of the funniest stories are about his oldest cousin "C.T." and all the mischief he got into. (C.T. grew up to be a preacher.) :lol: A few of the stories incidentally involve pocket knives.

I'd send you this copy but I borrowed it from my brother-in-law. I see you can get a used copy from Amazon for as little as 4 bucks though. Amazingly, the author is still living - 96 years old, and apparently still writing.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

That book interested me and I bought it yesterday on Amazon. For little money.
He wrote several that I put in my browse pile.
Wonderful that he is still with us.
Jerry, wouldn't it be cool if you could find a connection. ::nod::
Joe
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Ole mitch is a b-b-a.
Attachments
20171202_075621.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Joe, you probably already know this but that's the last one actually written by Vince Flynn before his death June 19, 2013. The next three were written by Kyle Mills and if "The Survivor" is any indication, quite well done.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”