Guns & Gun Related Stuff

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
steve99f

Re: Guns & Gun Related Stuff

Post by steve99f »

Picked this old timer up recently. Colt 1903 Type 3 in 32 ACP. Made in the early 20's. One of those bucket list guns for me. Its been reblued but in nice shape besides that.
Attachments
1903 lll  right side a.jpg
1903 lll left side b.jpg
steve99f
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Very nice pistol!!!

It sure looks to be in great shape!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Thanks Mike!
steve99f
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Very knice old pistol. ::handshake::
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

I'd love to find one of those that somebody had in their sock drawer for 70 yeas or so.
Color me jealous
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Thats the way to pick up the bucket list.Beauty
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Samb

Post by Samb »

Nice looker, have you shot it yet?
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

steve99f wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:52 pm Picked this old timer up recently. Colt 1903 Type 3 in 32 ACP. Made in the early 20's. One of those bucket list guns for me. Its been reblued but in nice shape besides that.
That's badass man! I bet it's fun to shootl
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Nice pickup Steve.
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Thank you all for the positive reinforcement! :D

I have shot it but need more time with it to do a better job acquiring and holding the sights. Designed as a pocket pistol, the sights were minimal to reduce snagging. Maybe if I had 20 year old eyes..... No function troubles in the 100 or so rounds I've put through it so far.

I've picked up a a couple of 32 ACP autos besides the Colt, a Beretta 81 and a couple of Savage 1907's, and really enjoy shooting this caliber. No noticeable recoil and can be accurate.
steve99f
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

steve99f wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:22 am No function troubles in the 100 or so rounds I've put through it so far.
Darn nice piece for near 100 years old !
Glad you get to show it some love.
::tu:: ::tu::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Wow Steve! That’s cool as all get out right there. ::tu::
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

steve99f wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:22 am

I've picked up a a couple of 32 ACP autos besides the Colt, a Beretta 81 and a couple of Savage 1907's, and really enjoy shooting this caliber. No noticeable recoil and can be accurate.
I have a Beretta 81, nice shooter.
Local auction house has an auction Sunday with 25 handguns and about 60 long guns. I foresee my checking account taking a hit.
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

The Beretta 81 is a classic, wonderful design. ::tu::
steve99f
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

steve99f wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:52 pm Picked this old timer up recently. Colt 1903 Type 3 in 32 ACP. Made in the early 20's. One of those bucket list guns for me. Its been reblued but in nice shape besides that.
Very nice piece Steve. Of course I've always been a fan of John Browning's designs. If you ever need to freshen up the springs, Wolf Springs did make a Pistol Service Pak” (stock no. 69082) that had all of the springs for the 1903 including the magazine spring.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Any of y’all like old Redfield scopes? I went over to my 92 year old gunsmith today and brought these two 2x7 redfield home. The wide view came off a safe queen and doesn’t have a mark on it, and a duplex reticle. The regular one has little fine cross hairs and a few marks.

I asked his price, and for less than a chicom budget scope I brought them both home. I’m happier than a hog in slop.
391C4520-C5ED-4C6C-B80E-F98625423D68.jpeg
1F3434C4-5558-4141-A7D8-441B2AAD2A6E.jpeg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

We’ll, I got lead down the primrose path! I had to go back to my old gunsmith because he had shown me this Remington 700 in .243 that he’d done a trigger job on. He shot me a price and it gnawed at me until I had to go back and get it.

He mounted the wide view Redfield on it, threw in the rings, and bore sighted it for $10 too. Now I just need some ammo! lol.
6355F4DF-2818-4AC4-BC03-7C6237EA2829.jpeg
Robert E. Lee
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Colonel26 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:20 pm Now I just need some ammo!
A rifleman I am not (I'm much better with a handgun), and my limited research led me to believe Remington offered the 700 in many calibers. Which is yours? And is it leaning against a Chevy S-10?
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Dan In MI wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:34 pm
Colonel26 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:20 pm Now I just need some ammo!
A rifleman I am not (I'm much better with a handgun), and my limited research led me to believe Remington offered the 700 in many calibers. Which is yours? And is it leaning against a Chevy S-10?
Dadgumit Dan, I thought I told the caliber, getting old! Lol I went back and edited my post. The rifle is a Remington 700 in .243. I know 243 isn’t the “sexiest” whiz bang super snorter, but for this area it is probably the most useful of calibers. It’s an excellent varmint round, and with 100 grain bullets it’s is more than sufficient for any whitetail in the woods. I’m tickled pink and can’t wait to get it on paper to see what it’ll do.

As to the truck, yes, that’s a S-10. My 16 year old son just bought it. The husband of one of my momma’s friends was it’s second owner and decided to sell it and we scooped it up. It’s a 2002, 4 cyl, 5 speed manual with 123k miles on it. I went and looked at it, asked him what he wanted for it and he said, “$2500” I said, “Sold!” I’m not a Chevy guy, but it’s a good little truck.
Robert E. Lee
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Sounds like this is your week Colonel, you should buy a lottery ticket. I'd be surprised if the 700 didn't shoot lights out. ::tu::
steve99f
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

[/quote]

Very nice piece Steve. Of course I've always been a fan of John Browning's designs. If you ever need to freshen up the springs, Wolf Springs did make a Pistol Service Pak” (stock no. 69082) that had all of the springs for the 1903 including the magazine spring.
[/quote]

I have used some of their spring kits in the past to have the various springs needed for firearms. They provide a great service and product and they are a PA company and that is important for me. i will check out the website and see what they've got for a 1903.
steve99f
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Bro. Wade, I used to like old Redfield scopes. :) I bought my first one during the fall of 1969. It was a 2X7 Variable, the Widefield was available then but I chose the traditional. It even had the new 4-plex cross hairs in it. I kept it on an Remington 700 ADL 30-06 until late in 1987. It was a wonderful scope, a tough scope and a real prize to own when most folks were still using Weavers and Tascos back in those days! I carried that old Remington rifle with the Redfield scope on a horse, in an air boat, on the dash of several Ford trucks, in several old Jeeps and even on the farm tractors those many years. The amazing thing, it never lost its' zero! Always on target, it shot a 130 gr Speer hollow point pushed by 48 grs of IMR 4895 3" high at 100 yards. Could usually cover a 3 shot group with a quarter. It was a wonderful scope made in the USA and probably one of the reasons it held its' zero all those years was the Redfield rings and one piece base that tied it to the rifle.
My love affair with that old 18 year old scope came to a screeching halt just before Christmas 1987! That year our 9 year old son killed his 1st deer with an iron sighted .243. He said he would love to have a scope for Christmas. When we looked around at scopes for some reason we ended up buying him a 4X Simmons. It was so much brighter and clearer than the old Redfield so I got to checking on things and found that scope making had progressed greatly since I had bought the "state of the art" Redfield so many years ago. The optics were 100% brighter in the newer scopes.
I still have the old Remington and the original Redfield but have graduated to some much new products. I know Redfield, once made in Denver, went through some tough times and ended up being part of Leupold which makes some good scopes. I would probably be surprised if I were to compare the quality of the Redfields I now have on 3 rifles with newer ones offered on the market today. According to the catalogs you can spend as much as some folks spend on a used pickup truck when buying a new rifle scope! I though the $79 Redfield and the $30 rings and base was a lot back in '69.
My go to rifle since Fathers Day of 1999 has been a Remington 700 .243 that is topped with a 3X12X50 Redfield scope. Come to think of it, if I wasn't so old and set in my ways, I might ought check on the improvements made in the last 22 years. ::hmm::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

treefarmer wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:40 am Bro. Wade, I used to like old Redfield scopes. :) I bought my first one during the fall of 1969. It was a 2X7 Variable, the Widefield was available then but I chose the traditional. It even had the new 4-plex cross hairs in it. I kept it on an Remington 700 ADL 30-06 until late in 1987. It was a wonderful scope, a tough scope and a real prize to own when most folks were still using Weavers and Tascos back in those days! I carried that old Remington rifle with the Redfield scope on a horse, in an air boat, on the dash of several Ford trucks, in several old Jeeps and even on the farm tractors those many years. The amazing thing, it never lost its' zero! Always on target, it shot a 130 gr Speer hollow point pushed by 48 grs of IMR 4895 3" high at 100 yards. Could usually cover a 3 shot group with a quarter. It was a wonderful scope made in the USA and probably one of the reasons it held its' zero all those years was the Redfield rings and one piece base that tied it to the rifle.
My love affair with that old 18 year old scope came to a screeching halt just before Christmas 1987! That year our 9 year old son killed his 1st deer with an iron sighted .243. He said he would love to have a scope for Christmas. When we looked around at scopes for some reason we ended up buying him a 4X Simmons. It was so much brighter and clearer than the old Redfield so I got to checking on things and found that scope making had progressed greatly since I had bought the "state of the art" Redfield so many years ago. The optics were 100% brighter in the newer scopes.
I still have the old Remington and the original Redfield but have graduated to some much new products. I know Redfield, once made in Denver, went through some tough times and ended up being part of Leupold which makes some good scopes. I would probably be surprised if I were to compare the quality of the Redfields I now have on 3 rifles with newer ones offered on the market today. According to the catalogs you can spend as much as some folks spend on a used pickup truck when buying a new rifle scope! I though the $79 Redfield and the $30 rings and base was a lot back in '69.
My go to rifle since Fathers Day of 1999 has been a Remington 700 .243 that is topped with a 3X12X50 Redfield scope. Come to think of it, if I wasn't so old and set in my ways, I might ought check on the improvements made in the last 22 years. ::hmm::
Treefarmer
I thought I remembered you liked Redfield scopes, and I knew you were a fan of the 243. When I bought the gun yesterday I immediately thought, “Bro. Phillip is going to love this!” Lol See there, you’ve influenced me. Now we’ll see this deer season if you’ve influenced me for good or if you’ve lead me down the garden path! :mrgreen:

The traditional Redfield I bought has itty bitty fine crosshairs. I’m going to mount it on a Marlin bolt action 22 that has a Montecarlo stock and make that my squirrel rig.
Robert E. Lee
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Colonel26 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:59 pm I know 243 isn’t the “sexiest” whiz bang super snorter, but for this area it is probably the most useful of calibers.
Versatility is a great quality. I have not a doubt in my mind you'll enjoy shooting that Remington!

As regards the truck, I used to drive a 2000 S-10 that served as a company truck and had that stepside bed.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Went to a gun auction today, 2 keepers for myself, a Ruger Mark II Target model and a real splurge, a Kimber Super Carry Custom .45acp. Both in like new condition.
new guns.jpg

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”