Guns & Gun Related Stuff

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
mrwatch

Re: Guns & Gun Related Stuff

Post by mrwatch »

I have a Marlin 17 HMR heavy barrel and it too is a tack driver. Got the free knife with the mail in offer. Last I checked the ammo was around $15 box, so not much target practice. I took it to the DNR range and put one in the X. Handed it too my wife who is not a shooter and she did the same so I put it away. ::woot:: I am not familiar with the Browning T bolt action.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Great review, Jerry. Fine rifle and fine round. And great shooting. ::tu::
Joe
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Thanks Wade and Joe. I just threw my shooting bags, rangefinder, binos, mags, etc on the jeep hood and went at it. A crazy hunt for sure. One of the best I have had. Averaging just under one shot per minute. Non stop action.

Can't say enough about the rifle for now. But only had it a couple of days. Will remain open minded to pros and cons moving forward. Will report back on any additional thoughts.

Yup mrwatch, I have done the same thing. When your first shot is dead center, can only go downhill from there. Put it away and call it good.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I have a Henry Golden Boy in .17 HMR, a birthday gift from my two long time buddies. All I can say about it is "Oh my goodness". It shoots much better than I can.
Attachments
DSC01995.JPG
Henry Golden Boy Receiver.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

....that is a real treasure, jerry!!!!!........... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: .....................
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Don't I know it Tommy. I'm humbled by it. I wish I could hang it on the wall but not in this neighborhood.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Nice gun Jerry. Thoughtful of your buddies.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Cuz, I like your friends!

I had a plain Jane Henry 22lr once. It was a tack driver.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Jerry "Z" - that's some great shooting! Your Browning rifle is really proving to be a tack driver as well.

JerryD, you certainly have great friends - what a fine tribute rifle.

Philip, my carbine is a "mixmaster" - about 18 years ago, give or take - when parts kits were widely available, I assisted a local Gun dealer assemble about 20 kits onto newly made Springfield Armory receivers. The barrel is a 1973 chrome lined GI issue made for the South Vietnamese Army - they never got there. The stock and the rest of the parts are WWII GI. Believe it or not this carbine shoots like a house on fire, better than any of the genuine WWII I've owned in the past.

Dad's Winchester is indeed a Model 74 and came off the gunrack of my Grand Dad's hardware store in 1948. I have one other firearm that came out of Baker Hardware, a Springfield 20 GA SxS, mid 1940's vintage.

OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Old Hunter wrote:Jerry "Z" - that's some great shooting! Your Browning rifle is really proving to be a tack driver as well.

JerryD, you certainly have great friends - what a fine tribute rifle.

Philip, my carbine is a "mixmaster" - about 18 years ago, give or take - when parts kits were widely available, I assisted a local Gun dealer assemble about 20 kits onto newly made Springfield Armory receivers. The barrel is a 1973 chrome lined GI issue made for the South Vietnamese Army - they never got there. The stock and the rest of the parts are WWII GI. Believe it or not this carbine shoots like a house on fire, better than any of the genuine WWII I've owned in the past.

Dad's Winchester is indeed a Model 74 and came off the gunrack of my Grand Dad's hardware store in 1948. I have one other firearm that came out of Baker Hardware, a Springfield 20 GA SxS, mid 1940's vintage.

OH
That's a wonderful story about your dad's old 22. On a side note I have a Springfield 16 gauge SxS, brother to yours. I've killed many a rabbit with it. Good old store brand guns.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

About a year ago I saw a small local gun store that I hadn't seen previously, located in a fairly new strip shopping center. I decided to pay a visit and check it out, Went in and started browsing and struck up a conversation with the owner. I commented about it being a nice looking new store, how long has he been open?

The owner said they had just been open a couple of months but were already looking for a new location. He said shortly after opening they learned they were not welcome tenants. The strip center owners (he said it's the same family that owns the Tampa Bay Buccaneers) are staunch gun control advocates. Seems the real estate management company they hired to manage their property wasn't aware of the strip center ownership's animosity toward guns. They became very incensed upon learning property they own had been leased to a gun shop.

By that time a lease agreement had been signed and the gun shop was already open for business, so he couldn't be evicted until the lease expired. However the shop owner said the property owners had tried to make him remove his signage (the name of his store) from their building! He had until his lease expired to find a new location as he wasn't going to try to stay where he wasn't welcome, and didn't expect his lease to be renewed in any event.

Yesterday I was in the same neighborhood. Went by to see if the gun store was still there. It was gone. In its place is a store called "Condom Sense". Gun control of a different sort, I guess! ::hmm::

Ken

BTW an Internet search found the gun store has moved to a new location a few miles from its previous location.
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Another reason not to support/be a fan of the Buccaneers! ::tu:: Their quarterback as good as he is, was a disgrace to FSU. ::td::
If you're a Buccaneer fan, please don't be offended by my personal opinions, but gun control and low life's seem to go together.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

treefarmer wrote:Another reason not to support/be a fan of the Buccaneers! ::tu:: Their quarterback as good as he is, was a disgrace to FSU. ::td::
If you're a Buccaneer fan, please don't be offended by my personal opinions, but gun control and low life's seem to go together.
Treefarmer
Amen!
Robert E. Lee
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Jerry, that's an interesting action on the T bolt. Haven't ever paid much attention to it until I looked at yours a little closer. Looks like a very quick cycle on the bolt - just back and forth, no up and down. Being a south paw, I have a left handed Rem. 700. But that action looks pretty easily adapted for a left-hander. I saw a guy on YouTube operating one left handed with his left thumb.

Beautiful rifle!
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Thanks OH, see sure is.
Unk wrote:Jerry, that's an interesting action on the T bolt. Haven't ever paid much attention to it until I looked at yours a little closer. Looks like a very quick cycle on the bolt - just back and forth, no up and down. Being a south paw, I have a left handed Rem. 700. But that action looks pretty easily adapted for a left-hander. I saw a guy on YouTube operating one left handed with his left thumb.

Beautiful rifle!
Thanks Unk! Really love that gun. Great design for me, left hand eye dominant on a right handed guy. Only a lefty in life in eyeball and shoulder on a rifle or shotgun. Have been doing some lefty handgun recently, will take some time and technique to master due to lack of learned muscle memory and the gun controls. Always done a right hand bolt since I was young regardless. The short T Bolt pull allowed me to stay on target in the scope (if squirrel still had a head) and cycle the next round quickly. Fast bolt action and followups. Amazing accurate. Will continue to update but first range and hunt trip was impressing to say the least.

Jerry
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

jerryd6818 wrote:I have a Henry Golden Boy in .17 HMR, a birthday gift from my two long time buddies. All I can say about it is "Oh my goodness". It shoots much better than I can.
What a beautiful and special rifle Jerry. I'd like to get a .22 version, one of these days.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Handgun cleaning tonight. Kimber Ultra Carry II 1911 45acp, Ruger SR1911 cmd 45acp, and my wife's Glock 26 9mm.

The Ruger is a normal commander size 1911 with a GI guide rod. You could field stripnit blind folded. The Kimber, officer size 1911, has a bull barrel, no bushing, and a two piece guide rod and captive spring assembly. You have to have three hands and a helper. Sheesh! But it runs and is a tack driver. And it's a joy to carry.
51624414675__4F0CD241-8211-41DF-8423-BD3756A3DC4A.JPG
51624451392__6C886F43-E5BA-4A49-B46E-339762D478B6.JPG
51624630317__30573DEB-40DA-4E98-B901-09C69C28E35A.JPG
51624748620__D9055F06-B984-449F-A8C8-C42CD14CDB30.JPG
51624787867__C40B63C7-E25D-4AEC-BE70-2B92FC7588AC.JPG
Robert E. Lee
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Nice guns, Wade. ::tu::
Joe
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Colonel26 wrote:Handgun cleaning tonight. Kimber Ultra Carry II 1911 45acp, Ruger SR1911 cmd 45acp, and my wife's Glock 26 9mm.

The Ruger is a normal commander size 1911 with a GI guide rod. You could field stripnit blind folded. The Kimber, officer size 1911, has a bull barrel, no bushing, and a two piece guide rod and captive spring assembly. You have to have three hands and a helper. Sheesh! But it runs and is a tack driver. And it's a joy to carry.

51624414675__4F0CD241-8211-41DF-8423-BD3756A3DC4A.JPG51624451392__6C886F43-E5BA-4A49-B46E-339762D478B6.JPG51624630317__30573DEB-40DA-4E98-B901-09C69C28E35A.JPG51624748620__D9055F06-B984-449F-A8C8-C42CD14CDB30.JPG51624787867__C40B63C7-E25D-4AEC-BE70-2B92FC7588AC.JPG
Great guns Wade!

One question, "You have to clean guns?" Seems like I have a lot of work to do now.

Jerry
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Hello Gents,

Rearranged some of my knife and gun shelves yesterday. One left to do. I needed a temporary place for all my holsters and mag holders until I figure out some sort of rack to hang them on or something. Any ideas?
Also, I took a shot of my small display of ammo in my office. I have a larger collection that I have shown that is displayed in my living room but I have these on my office desk. Most of the calibers and projectiles shown I carry or use. A few I don't like the empty 50 BMG and the SW 500 round. Nice to look at.

So on the holsters, no dog in this fight but here is my review of some great leather in my opinion from a NV small business...

I highly recommend holsters and other leather gun carrying accessories from Mernickle.

http://www.mernickleholsters.com/

I own a belt 7 holsters and 5 different mag holders (one is a speed loader holder). They make some real fancy stuff but I like the plain jane stuff myself. Plain hard black leather (or brown). All are custom fit holsters of mag holders. In other words, if you have a SIG P220 or a Beretta model X, the holster is made for the gun and that gun only. In other words, manufacturer and model specific and actually stamped as such on the back side.

I just bought a SIG MAX 1911 about 3 or 4 months ago. It is a wider frame so the standard 1911 holsters do no work. The guy never made that holster before. But several weeks later, I had a custom fitted holster that fit perfectly for that gun, no break-n required even with consideration to the custom larger sites it came with. model is "SIG 1911 5 (for 5 inch) Light Rail".

I had a few that were tight. Take a plastic Walmart bag, put your gun in it and insert into holster. 24 hours later, you have a perfect fit.

It is a small operation made in the USA right here in Nevada about 70 miles away. He has maybe 5 workers. Of all the holsters, mag holders, even the belt none ever had even a minor issue and workmanship is phenomenal in my opinion. Never spoke to the man but I hear he is a great easy going guy.

I buy the stuff thru my LGS to help support them too. I paid 80 bucks per holster and 40 bucks per double mag carrier. Good price for the quality you get in my opinion. I had him make me a holster for my S&W Governor and the butt fits perfectly against my side with no dig in.

What I am saying is not only is workmanship excellent, they are all built for maximum concealment as well. As you may tell, I like them alot.

In the photo of the temporary holster shelf, left to right, top to bottom...

Top Row:

1. Colt Diamondback 4" (3 belt slots, cross draw or strong side IE: Primary or Backup EDC)
2. S&W Governor 2" (3 belt slots, cross draw or strong side IE: Primary or Backup EDC)
3. SIG MAX 1911 with Light Rail 5"
4. SIG P220 5" IWB (fits both my 10mm and .45 P220 well)
5. SIG P226 4.4" (fits all P220 just fine also)

Bottom row:

1. SIG P229 4"
2. Double Speed Loader for Diamondback
3. Double Stack 2 mag holder P226 and P229
4. Single Stack 2 mag holder 1911, P220 10mm or .45
5. Single Stack 2 mag holder 1911, P220 10mm or .45

Of course extra mags for what I feel like carrying that day to swap in and out.

Waiting on a 6 shot .410 leather shell holder for my S&W Governor and another OWB 5" for SIG P220

SIG 938 3" OWB with separate single Stack 2 mag holder not shown as I am wearing it on my Mernickle belt.

No affiliation or gain here. Just passing on my review on what I feel is a great product.

Jerry
Attachments
Office Gun and Knife Shelf.JPG
Various Ammo I use or carry.JPG
my Mernickle Carry Leather.jpg
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Thanks guys.

Jerry, to tell us the truth I'm sure I clean them more than it really necessary. I like em clean and it gives me a chance to inspect everything.

That's some good looking leather you have there. And the ammo is really cool.
Robert E. Lee
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Colonel26 wrote:Thanks guys.

Jerry, to tell us the truth I'm sure I clean them more than it really necessary. I like em clean and it gives me a chance to inspect everything.

That's some good looking leather you have there. And the ammo is really cool.
Obviously I was kidding my friend. I do the same often depending on the gun and situation. I have been accused of over-lubricating my guns before. Once by my son, not much weight there since he never cleans his guns likely due to laziness and not preferred practice. But, besides one out of the box issue with one of my SIG P938 where they forgot to install the main housing spring pin, I have never broken any of my firearms or had them repaired. Different strokes for different folks. Been working for me.

At the least, on my handguns depending on round count since last cleaning, I wipe them down inside feed ramp and outside and oil the slide grooves and exposed barrel when locked back, if I don't do full field strip. I clean the barrel on my Cooper .308 about every 20 rounds. So just depends.

Sometimes I will break down a clean gun to inspect and lubricate in addition to being good practice and therapeutic. I for one like cleaning my guns.

Good trick on my slide guns if I do want to clean the barrel and not break out the rods and brushes is to use a shish-kebab skewer and and patch. No worry on the wood skewer in the barrel and quick and easy. They even sell the wood skewers that are several feet long. Probably fancy marshmallow or hot dog sticks. Used those on my ARs, etc before.

Jerry
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

zp4ja wrote:
One question, "You have to clean guns?" Seems like I have a lot of work to do now.

Jerry
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This made me chuckle.

I've got a few guns... like 40 some. Every year, whether I fire some of them or not... I take them apart and clean them and lube them. I spread it over a week or two, doing 4 or 5 a day.
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

I'm not nearly the gun aficionado as I am with pocket knives but I actually amazed myself last night watching the movie Con Air. There is a scene where DEA Agent Willie Sims played by José Zuñiga pulls an ankle holstered pistol during the takeover. I've seen that movie a dozen times but last night I recognized my Seecamp LWS in more than one scene!

I purchased it in 1992 as a front pocket carry piece when I bought and operated a fishing tackle shop in downtown Hartford Connecticut whose customers were mostly buying bait and tackle to put food on their tables. Rough neighborhood but fortunately I only got to train with it at the range.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Tom, those little Seecamp's are cool! I assume yours is in .380.
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”