Guns & Gun Related Stuff

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Guns & Gun Related Stuff

Post by Quick Steel »

Phil, Some years ago there was a tough Chicago detective who, in a long career was successfully involved in a high number of gun fights.
His back up was a Lady Smith and highly recommended it to his peers. With his reputation, no one was about to tease him.
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Quick Steel wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:41 pm Boji, First, congratulations on having the H&K. I have one as well. My experience with it is just a bit different than yours in that I find the squeeze cocker very easy to use. Once squeezed it requires (for me) no more thought than one would give to the grip safety on a 1911.
I wonder if applying a little oil might lighten the effort for you. The first time I fired my gun I was gripping excessively hard. Quickly learned that it took very little pressure to use, no more force than any standard grip.

Of course the cocker, besides cocking the gun, serves as a safety, and a slide release. Because of its gas operation, if the extractor should break (highly unlikely) the weapon would still eject cases and could continue in operation.

The H&K is almost ridiculously accurate. I actually laughed out loud my first day at the range because it was performing way above my abilities. Those holes in the target just kept landing on top of each other. I couldn't believe what was happening. Never happened for me with any other gun.

Its a marvelous gun. A few agencies used it, but it was always expensive, too expensive to produce today.
I'm thinking the cocker could use a bit of oiling. Also, my hand strength isn't the greatest. Add those factors to the fact that I'm primarily a revolver
shooter. I will keep working on it. I agree about the accuracy.
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Well them ol boys at the lgs, done sucked me in again! We went down there to get Parker’s new toy, a Savage Axis youth model .223. While we were there I spotted this gem that they had just traded for yesterday.

It’s an old pre 68 (I haven’t looked up the exact year yet) Marlin 57M (22 magnum). The stock has seen some abuse, but it’s nothing I can’t straighten out and it shoots good. They made me an out the door deal I couldn’t pass up so home it came.

My name is Wade and I have an old Marlin problem.
B6493450-9A84-4043-BA10-521302581FF6.jpeg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Congratulations Wade, she’s a dandy. ::tu::

BTW I’m a member of Marlins Anonymous too. ::facepalm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Sweet score, Wade!
Happy shootin'!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Nice Wade, that style is right up my alley, I would have never left it in the store either! OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Very sweet Wade, bet it is a flame thrower. Excellent. ::tu:: ::tu::
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Sure, see how you guys are, now I want a 22mag.

So, I'll bug you with a couple of S&Ws
Early Model 66,4 inch, .357mag was issued to the police department of my hometown. These were very common in LE.
I also have the 2 1/2 inch version which was a back up or personal sidearm of another local department officer.

Model 10-7 .38spl has no personal history to me. They were also common in various agencies.
IMG-4821.jpg
IMG-4823.jpg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Boji wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:36 pm Sure, see how you guys are, now I want a 22mag.

Early Model 66,4 inch, .357mag was issued to the police department of my hometown. These were very common in LE.
I also have the 2 1/2 inch version which was a back up or personal sidearm of another local department officer.

Model 10-7 .38spl has no personal history to me. They were also common in various agencies.

IMG-4821.jpg
IMG-4823.jpg

Great guns.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Colonel26 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:19 pm Well them ol boys at the lgs, done sucked me in again! We went down there to get Parker’s new toy, a Savage Axis youth model .223. While we were there I spotted this gem that they had just traded for yesterday.

It’s an old pre 68 (I haven’t looked up the exact year yet) Marlin 57M (22 magnum). The stock has seen some abuse, but it’s nothing I can’t straighten out and it shoots good. They made me an out the door deal I couldn’t pass up so home it came.

Nice. ::tu:: ::nod:: Love the stock. Good on you for a great score, enjoy, i'm sure you will. Have a good weekend mate. :)
Louisville.Boy1947

Post by Louisville.Boy1947 »

Colonel26 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:19 pm Well them ol boys at the lgs, done sucked me in again! We went down there to get Parker’s new toy, a Savage Axis youth model .223. While we were there I spotted this gem that they had just traded for yesterday.

Colonel, are you anywhere near Jefferson County ? If so, I may have to try to meet up with you to try out that Marlin ! ::groove::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Nice looking rifle, Colonel. We have a .22 Long Colt with a feeder tube that holds 15, how many does a Mag tube hold?

Nice wheel guns, Boji. I have an H&R subnose in .32 S&W Long. Nice thing is it's a little more hearing friendly.

Something a little different, a bud scored some blue aluminum mags and sold me two. I think they look nice with some 855 green tips.
Attachments
IMG_20210407_203322408.jpg
IMG_20210408_205856284.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Louisville.Boy1947 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:03 am

Colonel, are you anywhere near Jefferson County ? If so, I may have to try to meet up with you to try out that Marlin ! ::groove::
I’m just about straight down I-65 from you on the bottom end of the state. I’m outside of Scottsville 25 miles or so east of Bowling Green right in the TN line. If you’re ever down this way holler. We’ll look over guns, knives, and old tools.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Steve Warden wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:33 pm Sweet score, Wade!
Happy shootin'!
Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:19 pm Congratulations Wade, she’s a dandy. ::tu::

BTW I’m a member of Marlins Anonymous too. ::facepalm::

Ken
Old Hunter wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:49 pm Nice Wade, that style is right up my alley, I would have never left it in the store either! OH
doglegg wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:11 pm Very sweet Wade, bet it is a flame thrower. Excellent. ::tu:: ::tu::
cudgee wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:03 pm [quote=Colonel26 post_id=912435 time=<a href="tel:1617988779">1617988779</a> user_id=14441]
Well them ol boys at the lgs, done sucked me in again! We went down there to get Parker’s new toy, a Savage Axis youth model .223. While we were there I spotted this gem that they had just traded for yesterday.

Nice. ::tu:: ::nod:: Love the stock. Good on you for a great score, enjoy, i'm sure you will. Have a good weekend mate. :)
[/quote]

Thanks guys. Other than trying it out at the lgs, I haven’t had time to shoot it.

Ken, I have a real hard time not brining home an old Marlin of any caliber, or just about any old 22.

OH, I thought of you and your Winchester 88 when I was looking this one over. They surely do look related.
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Boji wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:36 pm Sure, see how you guys are, now I want a 22mag.

IMG-4821.jpg
IMG-4823.jpg
Nice Smiths! I have a model 65 that was police issued. It’s the same as your 66 only fixed sights. It’s a real nice shooting revolver too. It even makes my poor abilities look decent. I bet yours is a sweetheart too.
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

1967redrider wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:52 am Nice looking rifle, Colonel. We have a .22 Long Colt with a feeder tube that holds 15, how many does a Mag tube hold?

Nice wheel guns, Boji. I have an H&R subnose in .32 S&W Long. Nice thing is it's a little more hearing friendly.

Something a little different, a bud scored some blue aluminum mags and sold me two. I think they look nice with some 855 green tips.
I haven’t loaded it up yet. I’m assuming it’ll be close to 19 or 20 based on similar guns I have.

Those mags are pretty cool. I scored a few the other day myself. Although not nearly as stylish as yours.
Robert E. Lee
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Those of you who like myself go to gunshows are familiar with the sight of tables at gunshow where various groups have raffle tickets for sale. Usually they are youth shooting groups raffling a Ruger 10/22, or a conservation group raffling a shotgun and so on. Today I saw something at a gunshow that may be considered a sign of our times. A group was selling raffle tickets and the prize to be given away was -----------------3 boxes of 12 gauge shotgun shells!!!
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:12 am Those of you who like myself go to gunshows are familiar with the sight of tables at gunshow where various groups have raffle tickets for sale. Usually they are youth shooting groups raffling a Ruger 10/22, or a conservation group raffling a shotgun and so on. Today I saw something at a gunshow that may be considered a sign of our times. A group was selling raffle tickets and the prize to be given away was -----------------3 boxes of 12 gauge shotgun shells!!!

::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:12 am Those of you who like myself go to gunshows are familiar with the sight of tables at gunshow where various groups have raffle tickets for sale. Usually they are youth shooting groups raffling a Ruger 10/22, or a conservation group raffling a shotgun and so on. Today I saw something at a gunshow that may be considered a sign of our times. A group was selling raffle tickets and the prize to be given away was -----------------3 boxes of 12 gauge shotgun shells!!!
At Pheasants Forever a couple of weeks ago we did a raffle for 500 rounds of 9mm.
No, I didn't win :(
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

I used to live in California. A sporting goods store in Fresno had a grand opening in 2015, and I hadn't seen so much .22LR ammo in one place in years. Prices, if I recall correctly, were insane. Hopefully this craziness will pass soon.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Can't wait to fire this Springfield 87A 22
Attachments
20210413_080845.jpg
20210413_081001.jpg
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

TripleF wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:17 pm Can't wait to fire this Springfield 87A 22
Ahhh the old “clackety clack”/“gill gun”! I have one of those. Mine had a nasty looking varnish on the stock and I refinished it. But the dern thigh is INE of the most accurate 22’s I’ve ever shot. Another great thing about them is how quiet they are. Load it up with 22 short CB rounds and it’s as quiet as if it were suppressed. Fun guns for sure.
Robert E. Lee
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Colonel26 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:54 pm
TripleF wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:17 pm Can't wait to fire this Springfield 87A 22
Ahhh the old “clackety clack”/“gill gun”! I have one of those. Mine had a nasty looking varnish on the stock and I refinished it. But the dern thigh is INE of the most accurate 22’s I’ve ever shot. Another great thing about them is how quiet they are. Load it up with 22 short CB rounds and it’s as quiet as if it were suppressed. Fun guns for sure.

Thanks for the info!!
SCOTT

TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Scored this vintage unopened box of Winchester Remington 22 ammo....

tooooooooooo cool.
Attachments
IMG_0195.JPG
IMG_0194.JPG
IMG_0193.JPG
IMG_0192.JPG
SCOTT

New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

TripleF wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:50 am Scored.....
BEAUTY Scott! ::tu:: ::tu::
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”