Guns & Gun Related Stuff

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Guns & Gun Related Stuff

Post by philco »

That Lady Smith is a sweetheart. I'm secure enough in my masculinity that I'd have no trouble whatsoever packing that gem. ::tu:: :lol:
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

philco wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:35 am That Lady Smith is a sweetheart. I'm secure enough in my masculinity that I'd have no trouble whatsoever packing that gem. ::tu:: :lol:
I'm an active member on one of the S&W forums, several guys have admitted to owning/carrying a Ladysmith.
Me, the guns I shoot the most are former LE guns, a couple of Model 66s.
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I carry a model 60 and love it. ::tu:: ::tu::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Boji wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:37 am Iowa's Governor signed the Permitless Carry bill today. Effective July 1.
Just in time for Creepy Joe, Nitwit Nancy, Clueless Chuck, The Giggle Queen and their followers to make all law-abiding gun owners criminals. ::barf::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

bighomer wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:20 am
Dang Jerry you ever heard of 1911 Colt 45 or S&W lemon squeezer revolvers.? If not remember Google is our friend. ::handshake::
Nope. I guess I've led a sheltered life.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

bighomer wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:20 am
jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:24 pm Chris, I was just about to ask if that's some kind of grip safety. Squeeze-cocker eh? This is the first time I've run into such a device. Interesting.
Dang Jerry you ever heard of 1911 Colt 45 or S&W lemon squeezer revolvers.? If not remember Google is our friend. ::handshake::

My Colt O1980-XSE has what I think they call a Beavertail safety, has to be squeezed to be fired. I thought maybe all "Modern" 1911s were made like that? ::shrug::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Ridgegrass wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:54 pm For any Civil War collectors: This is a 3" "Absterdam" (spelling correct), round for a Parrot rifle. I had a friend named John Owen. He and his wife both grew up in Gettysburg PA. He'd be over 100 now. He collected this round on the battlefield. When he was a kid in the 1930's it was still common to find things like this. When he died, his daughter gave it to me because I am an avid student of that chapter of our history.
The round is 7-1/2 " tall with a lead "sabot" to expand into the canon's rifling. Weight,9.5 pounds. It is believed to be of Southern manufacture due to where it was found and it's rough casting. The fuse is missing.
No idea what it's worth now, researched it 20 years ago and it was around $300 . Don't want to sell it anyway. J.O.

J.O', that's really cool! Don't think I have ever seen a picture of one of these before, thanks for posting.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

They told us in boot camp that the Colt 1911 has several safeties integrated into it.

1.) must have a magazine inserted to fire
2.) Standard side to side button safety in back of the trigger
3.) Will not fire unless the slide is all the way home
4.) Grip safety

I feel like there's one more but if there is, I can't remember what it is.
Ah yes, Thumb safety (thank you Google)
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

A grip cocker is a different beast than the grip safety on a 1911. The 1911’s grip safety has a lever with a notch that sits down on the trigger shoe that keeps the trigger from moving rearward and engaging the sear. If it isn’t pushed in the trigger cannot be pulled. It has nothing to do with cocking the gun.

The grip cocking lever on the H&K actually cocks the gun. Both are safety devices of a type, but work completely differently.

I’m not sure exactly how the old lemon squeezer’s grip safety works. Maybe one day I’ll get hold of one! It would be most welcome in the stable.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

RedRider: It's a neat keepsake and a great doorstop! :D J.O'.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:47 pm

I feel like there's one more but if there is, I can't remember what it is.
And lets not forget about that one between our ears. ::nod::
Joe
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Boji wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:14 pm S&W Model 65 Ladysmith with case, .38spl or .357mag
SW-65LS-2.JPG
That's wonderful! I'd pack a lady Smith in a heart beat.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

On the HK squeeze cocker , it is in a class of its own, not related to a 1911 in any way.
Rack the slide and then the inner grip cocker has to be held tightly in for each shot to fire. Otherwise it will not fire.
Not an easy process to learn well enough to carry,
I do have a holster for it but doubt I'll ever carry as it is a heavy gun for its size.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I had my head firmly planted where the sun don't shine, I was thinking about pulling the trigger not cocking the piece. :oops: ::facepalm:: ::handshake::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Boji, First, congratulations on having the H&K. I have one as well. My experience with it is just a bit different than yours in that I find the squeeze cocker very easy to use. Once squeezed it requires (for me) no more thought than one would give to the grip safety on a 1911.
I wonder if applying a little oil might lighten the effort for you. The first time I fired my gun I was gripping excessively hard. Quickly learned that it took very little pressure to use, no more force than any standard grip.

Of course the cocker, besides cocking the gun, serves as a safety, and a slide release. Because of its gas operation, if the extractor should break (highly unlikely) the weapon would still eject cases and could continue in operation.

The H&K is almost ridiculously accurate. I actually laughed out loud my first day at the range because it was performing way above my abilities. Those holes in the target just kept landing on top of each other. I couldn't believe what was happening. Never happened for me with any other gun.

Its a marvelous gun. A few agencies used it, but it was always expensive, too expensive to produce today.

010.JPG
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Phil, Some years ago there was a tough Chicago detective who, in a long career was successfully involved in a high number of gun fights.
His back up was a Lady Smith and highly recommended it to his peers. With his reputation, no one was about to tease him.
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Quick Steel wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:41 pm Boji, First, congratulations on having the H&K. I have one as well. My experience with it is just a bit different than yours in that I find the squeeze cocker very easy to use. Once squeezed it requires (for me) no more thought than one would give to the grip safety on a 1911.
I wonder if applying a little oil might lighten the effort for you. The first time I fired my gun I was gripping excessively hard. Quickly learned that it took very little pressure to use, no more force than any standard grip.

Of course the cocker, besides cocking the gun, serves as a safety, and a slide release. Because of its gas operation, if the extractor should break (highly unlikely) the weapon would still eject cases and could continue in operation.

The H&K is almost ridiculously accurate. I actually laughed out loud my first day at the range because it was performing way above my abilities. Those holes in the target just kept landing on top of each other. I couldn't believe what was happening. Never happened for me with any other gun.

Its a marvelous gun. A few agencies used it, but it was always expensive, too expensive to produce today.
I'm thinking the cocker could use a bit of oiling. Also, my hand strength isn't the greatest. Add those factors to the fact that I'm primarily a revolver
shooter. I will keep working on it. I agree about the accuracy.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Well them ol boys at the lgs, done sucked me in again! We went down there to get Parker’s new toy, a Savage Axis youth model .223. While we were there I spotted this gem that they had just traded for yesterday.

It’s an old pre 68 (I haven’t looked up the exact year yet) Marlin 57M (22 magnum). The stock has seen some abuse, but it’s nothing I can’t straighten out and it shoots good. They made me an out the door deal I couldn’t pass up so home it came.

My name is Wade and I have an old Marlin problem.
B6493450-9A84-4043-BA10-521302581FF6.jpeg
Robert E. Lee
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Congratulations Wade, she’s a dandy. ::tu::

BTW I’m a member of Marlins Anonymous too. ::facepalm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Sweet score, Wade!
Happy shootin'!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Nice Wade, that style is right up my alley, I would have never left it in the store either! OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Very sweet Wade, bet it is a flame thrower. Excellent. ::tu:: ::tu::
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Sure, see how you guys are, now I want a 22mag.

So, I'll bug you with a couple of S&Ws
Early Model 66,4 inch, .357mag was issued to the police department of my hometown. These were very common in LE.
I also have the 2 1/2 inch version which was a back up or personal sidearm of another local department officer.

Model 10-7 .38spl has no personal history to me. They were also common in various agencies.
IMG-4821.jpg
IMG-4823.jpg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Boji wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:36 pm Sure, see how you guys are, now I want a 22mag.

So, I'll bug you with a couple of S&Ws
Early Model 66,4 inch, .357mag was issued to the police department of my hometown. These were very common in LE.
I also have the 2 1/2 inch version which was a back up or personal sidearm of another local department officer.

Model 10-7 .38spl has no personal history to me. They were also common in various agencies.

IMG-4821.jpg
IMG-4823.jpg

Great guns.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Colonel26 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:19 pm Well them ol boys at the lgs, done sucked me in again! We went down there to get Parker’s new toy, a Savage Axis youth model .223. While we were there I spotted this gem that they had just traded for yesterday.

It’s an old pre 68 (I haven’t looked up the exact year yet) Marlin 57M (22 magnum). The stock has seen some abuse, but it’s nothing I can’t straighten out and it shoots good. They made me an out the door deal I couldn’t pass up so home it came.

My name is Wade and I have an old Marlin problem.

B6493450-9A84-4043-BA10-521302581FF6.jpeg
Nice. ::tu:: ::nod:: Love the stock. Good on you for a great score, enjoy, i'm sure you will. Have a good weekend mate. :)

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”