Guns & Gun Related Stuff

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Guns & Gun Related Stuff

Post by Colonel26 »

I haven’t laid hands on one, but I know about them. Do you have one?

I dream of walking into a pawnshop and finding an original Marlin 410 lever gun for a bargain basement price! Lol
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.....wade, I only have one shotgun, a SPRINGFIELD model 18C .410 lever action that was handed down to me by my grandfather(probably confiscated in a moonshine raid). I shot it once years ago, just never been a shotgun fan, but I like the looks of the HENRY!!!................ ::tu:: .......................
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

carrmillus wrote:.....wade, I only have one shotgun, a SPRINGFIELD model 18C .410 lever action that was handed down to me by my grandfather(probably confiscated in a moonshine raid). I shot it once years ago, just never been a shotgun fan, but I like the looks of the HENRY!!!................ ::tu:: .......................
............. ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ............it's not a lever action, it's a bolt action!!!......... ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ........................
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

carrmillus wrote:.....wade, I only have one shotgun, a SPRINGFIELD model 18C .410 lever action that was handed down to me by my grandfather(probably confiscated in a moonshine raid). I shot it once years ago, just never been a shotgun fan, but I like the looks of the HENRY!!!................ ::tu:: .......................
Have you seen the "original henry" that is made by the current henry company? The have them in 44-40 and 45 colt. By all accounts I've seen the current henry company makes fine leverguns, and their slogan is "made in America or not made at all". A good slogan if you ask me.
IMG_2261.JPG
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

I want me one of those!!

I have a Henry "Big Boy" in 44 mag.... It shoots like a dream!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:
Have you seen the "original henry" that is made by the current henry company? The have them in 44-40 and 45 colt. By all accounts I've seen the current henry company makes fine leverguns, and their slogan is "made in America or not made at all". A good slogan if you ask me.

IMG_2261.JPG
...I have the H001 original-.44-40 caliber. i've had mine for nearly 2 years, bought it right after they came out. I only have one spot I can go shoot when I'm invited, and I love to shoot it. I've shot a little over 200 rounds since I got it-I'd rather shoot that gun than eat!!!.... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: .............
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...by the way, I notice they now have the"original" in a carbine version which holds 4 less rds. than the original!!....... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ...........
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

That sounds like a fine bolt gun! I have a Stevens 410 double barrel that I really like. And dad has the Stevens or Savage marked (I can’t remember which) bolt action 410. His has a mag tube like a rifle. It shoots good. I have a Springfield 16 gauge double barrel that has accounted for many a fine rabbit supper at our house.

Just a bit of trivia in case you don’t know, Springfield was a bake used by Savage Arma company prior to they’re purchasing the Stevens arms company. After the merger they still called that one line of guns Springfield for a year or two, then the double barrels became the Springfield 311 for a couple of years and finally just the Stevens 311.

I forget my exact dates, but it’s a good bet your 410 is from the 20’s or 30’s if my memory is correct.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:

IMG_2261.JPG
I had a Marlin 1894 in 44mag once. I really liked it and would like another.
Robert E. Lee
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...since this was originally my grandfather's, the 20's is probably right, it's very old!!..... ::tu:: .....
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Wade, I think leverguns are one of those things that never go out of style or usefulness. They will likely always be relevant no matter what else is out there. I would love to have one of the henry golden boy .22's.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:Wade, I think leverguns are one of those things that never go out of style or usefulness. They will likely always be relevant no matter what else is out there. I would love to have one of the henry golden boy .22's.
You got that right. I love my lever guns.

I’ve never had a golden boy, but I had one of the regular Henry 22’s for a short while before I fell into a trade I couldn’t resist. It was a fine little 22 for sure. I have a Marlin 39M now and I love it.
Robert E. Lee
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

I saw a really cool show last night on "Wednesday night at the range" on the outdoor channel. The show that is hosted by Joe Mantegna had a show about the guns of Elvis Presley. Pretty cool....
The show told about some bazaar things.....Like when Elvis showed up unannounced at the White House to see President Nixon. He wanted to give Nixon a Colt 45 Pistol..... Nixon let him in..... WITH A PISTOL.... LOL.

Here is an article that covers a lot of what the show covered.....

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/ ... s-presley/

Some of the crazy things Elvis did was hand a loaded pistol to Alice Cooper and told Alice to point it at him and he would disarm Alice. Alice did.... Elvis disarmed Alice without getting shot.....LOL.

::facepalm::
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Meridian_Mike wrote:I saw a really cool show last night on "Wednesday night at the range" on the outdoor channel. The show that is hosted by Joe Mantegna had a show about the guns of Elvis Presley. Pretty cool....
The show told about some bazaar things.....Like when Elvis showed up unannounced at the White House to see President Nixon. He wanted to give Nixon a Colt 45 Pistol..... Nixon let him in..... WITH A PISTOL.... LOL.

Here is an article that covers a lot of what the show covered.....

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/ ... s-presley/

Some of the crazy things Elvis did was hand a loaded pistol to Alice Cooper and told Alice to point it at him and he would disarm Alice. Alice did.... Elvis disarmed Alice without getting shot.....LOL.

::facepalm::
Now that’s cool!
Robert E. Lee
Camillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Camillus »

Took my CZ 455 VARMIT to the range and did a great 10 shot group at 50’ using CCI standard rounds.
The trigger is getting better after about 200 rounds fired so far.
Now to shoot at 50 yards and check groups.

Camillus ::tu::
Attachments
CDFA3C93-276B-4FA2-A836-251F55D22A48.jpeg
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I’d say that’d send ol Mr. whistle pig to meet his maker right quick! Good shooting.
Robert E. Lee
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

OH MY GOSH.... Now THAT is a KILLER group!!

CONGRATS!!

::tu:: ::tu::
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

One thing I am curious about and would like to ask those of you who carry concealed on a regular basis. How often do you shoot your carry ammo and replace with new factory fresh?
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

OLDE CUTLER wrote:One thing I am curious about and would like to ask those of you who carry concealed on a regular basis. How often do you shoot your carry ammo and replace with new factory fresh?
Not as often as I’d like, but every couple of months or so. One thing I’ve found is that the gummy tip stuff like Hornady Critical duty, which I like a lot, needs to be shot up fairly often. The gummy tip will attract dirt and oil and will sometimes hang on the feedramp of one of my pistols. If they’re clean and fresh, no problem though. Regular hollow points don’t do this, of course. Maybe I just need to shoot more.
Robert E. Lee
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

A while back I purchased an Indian Arms .380 semiauto at a Birmingham gun show. It was, at the time, the dealer's personal CC weapon. he handed it to me with a full magazine.

A few days later, I purchased a couple of boxes of quality ammo, Winchester Silver Tips and went to a gravel pit where we used to shoot.

Instead of removing his ammo, I just decided to empty it by firing it.

The third round just went "pop" and the the next round failed to load and "stove-piped".

Good thing it did, because the previous round had not cleared the barrel

I disassembled the weapon.

Took me twenty minutes to tap it out using a short cleaning rod and crescent wrench for a hammer.

I removed the remaining rounds and loaded the Silver Tips and the weapon was fine.

Had I been able to fire that fourth round, I suspect the results would have been less than desirable.

Don't use old ammunition.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Don't use old ammunition
Good advice, and another reason I like wheel guns. Had one auto it jammed on me with new ammo, sold it a month later and never went back :D
AAPK Janitor
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Just seen a nice black powder long rifle posted on the forum, for some reason it brought back a memory of an incident my father had forty years ago :o

My father had a hankering for a black powder gun, so back then he looked through a magazine and found a kit gun that you could buy, he ordered it. Now this was long before postal tracking the internet and impatient people who want their stuff delivered yesterday!

After about a month my father started to wonder if the kit would arrive, he would come in for lunch and ask " anyone see my gun kit?" Nope, mailman did not deliver it. Mail was usually delivered by 10AM each day the carrier was notified that we were waiting on this to arrive of course he had seen nothing. One day my father comes home from work and my mother asked him to go next door to the convenience store and get something she needed, he walks to the store and leaning against the front wall of the sore is a square cardboard box about the size and shape a gun kit would come in, he looks at the label and you guessed it the box was in his name! He asked the store clerk how long the box was there to which he replied " since the mail man left it there around 10AM!!! ::doh:: :lol:

Try that today and see how long it lasts, a different time indeed.
AAPK Janitor
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Miller Bro's wrote:
RobesonsRme.com wrote:Don't use old ammunition
Good advice, and another reason I like wheel guns. Had one auto it jammed on me with new ammo, sold it a month later and never went back :D
I have a handload for the GP100 that duplicates the factory 125 gr load, so I shoot that mostly. I have shot a lot of old ammo though. Before he past away, my dad gave me all his old ammo, primers and powder that he always kept in a damp basement. I fired all the 38 & 357 ammo and never had one fail. There was only one partial can of powder in a metal can that when I opened it had rust all over the inside of the can. The seal on the cap was bad. Tossed that one, but the rest was good, some of it was 40 years old. I would not use it as carry ammo though, plinking only. For carry ammo, I tend to use Hornady XTP or Speer Gold Dot that has the bullet jacket go all the way to the nose.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Miller Bro's wrote:Just seen a nice black powder long rifle posted on the forum, for some reason it brought back a memory of an incident my father had forty years ago :o

My father had a hankering for a black powder gun, so back then he looked through a magazine and found a kit gun that you could buy, he ordered it.
Back when I was building BP rifles, I would get the parts I wanted from Track of the Wolf. Colrain barrels were about the best and you HAD TO WAIT FOR IT TO BE MADE AFTER YOU ORDERED IT. They have some parts sets at Track now-a-days that are called "90% parts sets". You can have those in your lap in about a week. Even these still have a LOT of work to be done. The wood has to be shaped and thinned, the lock inletted and any furniture you want will need to be inletted also.

My first rifle was a block of walnut, the lock I wanted, the barrel I wanted and I made a lot of the furniture from sheet brass. It was a fun project and took about a year to complete (working in the afternoons after work for a couple of hours).

ANYWAY.... now to my point....LOL.
I never deer hunted until I was in my late 20's. I killed my first deer with the above BP rifle I made and with a bullet I cast from old wheel weights.

Now THAT was a load of fun!!
:D

Oh, here is my first rifle... a Jaeger style rifle.
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
The nose cap is a piece of horn I heated and bent to the shape I needed. I sure miss those days..... sitting around the wood stove... shooting bulls and making a gun. Both my friends from those days are gone on to their rewards now.
I think I will just stay here a while longer and work on knives.

:D
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Great story and beautiful rifle Mike.
Robert E. Lee

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”