Guns & Gun Related Stuff

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Guns & Gun Related Stuff

Post by doglegg »

Can't wait to hear how it shoots, Ray. ::nod:: ::nod::
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:Very cool Ray! Do you have a CC&R FFL?
Not sure what a CC&R is but I don't have one or an FFL.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Old Folder wrote:I received my September 2018 issue of "American Rifleman" last week. The cover photo shows a Ruger Precision Rimfire .22 Long Rifle with a very good writeup within the magazine.
I am not a hunter, more of a weekend warrior, long range target practice.
I see we have many skilled gun collectors within AAPK.
This is my first post within "Guns & Gun Related Stuff."

https://www.turners.com/ruger/ruger-pre ... r-1-660348

I had a Ruger .22 Cal rifle (Forgot which Model) many years ago that I used to teach my two children gun safety. Had nothing but problems with the Ruger, mostly cartridge ejection and lock-up. It was however, a very low end rifle.
I am seeking your opinions on the featured Ruger and what Scope you would recommend for Long and Short range target practice only.
The Precision Rimfire ships with a 30-m.o.a. rail.
I do not participate in competitions, therefore a big dollar scope is not required.

IMG_0002.JPGIMG_0001.JPG
I have had real good luck with the Bushnell Trophy line of scopes. There are scopes that are better, but cost much more, and there are cheaper scopes that don't perform as well. The one I use on rimfire for long range is a variable 6 to 18 power with adjustable objective. I have also used this one on centerfire varmint rifles with good results. The one have now is over 25 years old and has been on several different rifles. It has a big ding in it where one time when I was prairie dog hunting in western South Dakota, I was carrying the rifle it was mounted on over the shoulder on a sling when a plastic buckle broke and the whole thing fell right on to the railroad tracks on which I was walking. I carefully picked it up expecting to see the objective lens shattered, but except for the ding in the bell end, no damage. However on my first shot at a prairie dog about 300 yards out, I noticed that it was no longer sighted in. I picked out a clod of dirt at that distance and fired only 3 shots to get it resighted. Besides the 6-18x, I have 2 Trophy 4-12x, one 3-9x, and 2 pistol scopes 2-6x, and have never had any trouble with any of them. Many people like the Leupold scopes, and they are very good, but the price on them these days is steep. The Trophy scopes I have are all over 20 years old, and at that time were made in Japan. I am not sure where they are made today, most likely China. I don't have any experience or knowledge of the rifle in the article, so I can't comment on that. I would look for other online reviews on the rifle you mention also, as the Rifleman articles on guns they test tend to be glowing endorsements, they are not going to find fault with a manufacturer that buys advertising from them.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Paladin wrote:New acquisition! Picked it up at the local flea market...not really. :lol: :lol: Sure am glad to have landed it. It is a model 1895 Winchester, made in 1925. I love old lever actions.

Ray
That Model 1895 is sweet!! I always wanted one, but have never owned one. About the only criticism I have ever heard about the 1895 is that unlike other lever actions that you carry with the hand just ahead of the trigger guard and balance there perfectly, this doesn't work with the 1895 because of the box magazine located there. (some criticism huh???) Also love those peep sights they make for the "95. Since I had cataract surgery on both eyes, I am still able to shoot iron and peep sights on lever guns. I really don't like the appearance of a scope on a lever action, but sometimes it is a necessity.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Thanks for all the Scope info OLDE CUTLER.
Gives me a head start on research. ::handshake::
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Old Folder wrote:Thanks for all the Scope info OLDE CUTLER.
Gives me a head start on research. ::handshake::
I suggest the Vortex Diamondback line. Lifetime transferable no receipt required warranty. No questions asked. In the scenario Olde Cutler describes above, Vortex would repair or replace free of charge. Negligence or not, no questions asked. On a claim I had, they paid overnight shipping both ways too. I shipped Thursday and it arrived back the following Tuesday (5 days including weekend).
I have a Diamondback 4x16 x42mm on my ground squirrel.17 HMR. Likely under 200 bucks and excellent glass.
I have seven or eight of their scopes mainly Viper and Razor line, two sets of binoculars and a spotting scope. Only brand of optics I have now after year of tinkering with others. They have quite a few different lines/ levels of quality but really difficult to discern any difference to the eye.
I have their top of the line scope on my long range .308 and it stands up to the highest dollar NightForce or and other crazy expensive German top of the line scope you can think of.

Additionally, no need to shop around as MSRP
is enforced so same price anywhere besides maybe free shipping versus not.

The scope also has hold over marks in the reticle and they have a free online ballistic calculator the you plug in your cartridge ballistic and it will tell you how many yards each holdover hash is on the reticle.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Thanks Jerry ::tu:: More great information, I appreciate it sir.
If we re ever invaded, I want to be your neighbor.
Dan
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Old Folder wrote:Thanks Jerry ::tu:: More great information, I appreciate it sir.
Glad to help Dan.

I made an error in price for Diamondback I mentioned. They are about 350 bucks. However, Vortex does have the Crossfire II and Copperhead lines also. I have no experience with these but they start at about 170 best I can tell depending on model. I am sure they have good quality for price if they are like the other Vortex lines like the Diamondback, Viper and Razor lines.

I know you are not doing competition shooting but regardless nice to have a dependable scope to match a good firearm. Fun when the only variable on shanking a shot is the shooter not the setup. Still recommend the Diamondback or higher line of Vortex was if you are willing to drop the cash on it.

The Ruger bolt rifles seem pretty nice. Don’t own one but a guy at the range had a Ruger 700 in .308 that shot pretty good. Same concept and design as the .22 you are contemplating. One note may be that you may wish to check if smaller capacity magazines are available if you are bench shooting. Depends on your setup but a high capacity mag on the bench can hinder your elevation and tight hold. Again, all depends on you setup. For example, when I shoot an AR10 pr AR15 at the range, I use 10 round and 20 round magazines respectively. Instead of 20 and 30 round magazines respectively.
Why? Because in my bench setup the longer magazines hit the bench and interfere with my hold.

Food for thought. Good luck. Let us know what you pickup and how it works out.

Regards, Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Paladin wrote:

Ray
Sorry - I meant "C&R" (I guess I stuttered on that C) - it means "Curios & Relics". It is a specific category of firearms that is for old guns (usually over 50 years old). There is a special FFL (called a type 03) you can get that applies only to C&R guns, and it is much easier to get than a regular gun dealer FFL. Having it allows you to buy guns classified as C&R without having to go through a gun shop - you can even buy mail order and have them shipped to your home!

I don't have one - but I always wanted one...
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:
Paladin wrote:

Ray
Sorry - I meant "C&R" (I guess I stuttered on that C) - it means "Curios & Relics". It is a specific category of firearms that is for old guns (usually over 50 years old). There is a special FFL (called a type 03) you can get that applies only to C&R guns, and it is much easier to get than a regular gun dealer FFL. Having it allows you to buy guns classified as C&R without having to go through a gun shop - you can even buy mail order and have them shipped to your home!

I sure learned something here. I never even heard of that. Thanks TFL.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
TwoFlowersLuggage

The Feds make a big deal out of saying that an FFL-03 does not give you the ability to buy/sell as a gun dealer - it is only for buying/selling for your personal collection. I'm not sure how they determine the difference, but I think there are stiff penalties if they determine that you are buying/selling for profit, not enjoyment.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:
Paladin wrote:

Ray

TwoFlowers;
I think you have your Sons new Condo on your mind?
(CC&Rs) Convenants, Conditions and Restrictions.

Don't feel bad, more then once I have typed "AARP" instead of "AAPK" ::dang::
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

zp4ja wrote:
Old Folder wrote:Thanks Jerry ::tu:: More great information, I appreciate it sir.
Glad to help Dan.

I made an error in price for Diamondback I mentioned. They are about 350 bucks. However, Vortex does have the Crossfire II and Copperhead lines also. I have no experience with these but they start at about 170 best I can tell depending on model. I am sure they have good quality for price if they are like the other Vortex lines like the Diamondback, Viper and Razor lines.

I know you are not doing competition shooting but regardless nice to have a dependable scope to match a good firearm. Fun when the only variable on shanking a shot is the shooter not the setup. Still recommend the Diamondback or higher line of Vortex was if you are willing to drop the cash on it.

The Ruger bolt rifles seem pretty nice. Don’t own one but a guy at the range had a Ruger 700 in .308 that shot pretty good. Same concept and design as the .22 you are contemplating. One note may be that you may wish to check if smaller capacity magazines are available if you are bench shooting. Depends on your setup but a high capacity mag on the bench can hinder your elevation and tight hold. Again, all depends on you setup. For example, when I shoot an AR10 pr AR15 at the range, I use 10 round and 20 round magazines respectively. Instead of 20 and 30 round magazines respectively.
Why? Because in my bench setup the longer magazines hit the bench and interfere with my hold.

Food for thought. Good luck. Let us know what you pickup and how it works out.

Regards, Jerry
Excellent information Jerry.
Thank you for taking the time and educating me.
I'm going to print all the info you guys have sent me.
I'll let you all know when I "pull the trigger". ::handshake::
Dan
TwoFlowersLuggage

Old Folder wrote:
TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:
Paladin wrote: Not sure what a CC&R is but I don't have one or an FFL.

Ray

TwoFlowers;
I think you have your Sons new Condo on your mind?
(CC&Rs) Convenants, Conditions and Restrictions.

Don't feel bad, more then once I have typed "AARP" instead of "AAPK" ::dang::
::tu:: I think you are right!
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...just noticed my last post was #4440-same as the caliber of my HENRY rifle!!!!..... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ...........
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Here is a fun little project I did a few years ago. A guy gave me a bunch of "junk" in a 5 gal bucket. Down in there was this little Remington model 95 derringer frame. I have always wanted one so I figured I needed to fix this one.....LOL. Well, I finally rounded up enough parts and got it back in working order. Finding 41 rim fire ammo was the hardest part. I finally did manage to round up 5 or 6 of those to the tune of $10 a pop (that was the cheapest price too).
Rem mod 95 before.JPG
Back in one piece....
phone 161.JPG
Mike
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Mike, what a great build. Did you fire a shot? I can understand if you pass on that at $10 bucks a pop. Again, that is a fine accomplishment. ::tu::
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Great restore Mike. Gunsmith and a knifesmith. Wow ::tu:: ::tu::
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Quick Steel wrote:Mike, what a great build. Did you fire a shot? I can understand if you pass on that at $10 bucks a pop. Again, that is a fine accomplishment. ::tu::
Thanks for the complements y'all....
Not fired yet.... I'm afraid it will have to be a big occasion before I waste one of those $10 cartridges.
I thought I had some usable cartridges one time. DGW used to sell a box of reproduced 41 rimfires. Now, even those go for big $$$. The cartridges I have are original antiques. Recon I'll shoot another pistol and just look at this one.....LOL.

Mike
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
TwoFlowersLuggage

Mike, that's awesome! Is that little checkered thumb pad on the side of the barrels the ejector?
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

MM.. Now that is just plain KOOL!!! 8) Kudos and GREAT job!!! ::tu:: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Mike, that’s about as cool as it gets.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Nice save!

Is it nickle plated?
AAPK Janitor
big monk

Post by big monk »

Traded a shotgun for this Springfield XDM9 3.8 Compact --- 13 with short mag / 19 with full mag. -- shoots really,really smooth & accurate -- guy I traded with had put the "textured tape" on the grips and I like the feel. :)
Attachments
IMG_2989 (2).JPG
IMG_2977 (2).JPG
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Looks like you might get a better grip with that extended magazine in.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”