Guns & Gun Related Stuff

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Meridian_Mike

Re: Guns & Gun Related Stuff

Post by Meridian_Mike »

I never was a fan of the Pachmayr grips. I like the S&W target grips on my Model 29..... They suit my hand just fine.
(NOTHING against Pachmayr grips.... I just don't care for 'em)

::shrug::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:31 pm I never was a fan of the Pachmayr grips. I like the S&W target grips on my Model 29..... They suit my hand just fine.
(NOTHING against Pachmayr grips.... I just don't care for 'em)

::shrug::
I love them, got'em on my 45 pistol too. ::tu:: ::handshake::
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

The goverment may be up to the BILL-$CH!T again :oops: :x Went to crapellas today to find NO hand gun ammo in stock ::td:: how's ya'lls ammo holding up???smells like the o'bummer era ::uc:: ::disgust::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

garddogg56 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:33 pm The goverment may be up to the BILL-$CH!T again :oops: :x Went to crapellas today to find NO hand gun ammo in stock ::td:: how's ya'lls ammo holding up???smells like the o'bummer era ::uc:: ::disgust::
Haven’t been out to the sporting goods store lately but I heard that too. Seems along with toilet paper, water, milk and eggs there’s been a run on ammo too? Crazy preppers I guess. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Winchester M21

Post by Winchester M21 »

image.jpg
image.jpg
Life is too short to carry an ugly knife!!
Shawn
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

I like those old boxes! ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

treefarmer wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:39 am I like those old boxes! ::tu::
Treefarmer
Me too!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Concerning the ammo shortage, my brother in Illinois called and said he heard on the radio that in the Champaign/Urbana area they were suspending the sales of guns & ammo during the crisis...

I reload and I've got enough 9mm, 45acp, 38 special and 357 mag to last for years. I do need to hit the bench and cranky out more .556. I learned last time to buy when the gettins good!

I do need TP though ::teary_eyes::
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Well CRAP... you mean the crazies that were making a run on ammo first go-round are doing it again?
::facepalm::
That's OK, If I need to go shoot a squirrel, I can... that is IF I need to do it to survive.
Thing about it is this.....
The NUTS that are buying up all the ammo would NOT have a clue how to survive if they had to. About the best they could do is trade a case of ammo for a loaf of bread....
PEOPLE NEVER cease to amaze me...... not at their brilliance.... but.... THEIR STUPIDITY.
If and when we have a REAL national emergency, their WILL be biggest mess in this country YOU HAVE EVER SEEN!
::smack::
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

I agree Mike. The majority of people today are I'll prepared for a national disaster. A friend has property about 20 miles from town with woods and a pond. We've cleared out space for a shooting range, and built BBQ pits. No electricity, no cell service or internet. We go out on the weekend & shoot BBQ and visit. We've decided to just move out there and act like little boys until this is over.
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Byrd wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:35 pm ..... A friend has property about 20 miles from town with woods and a pond. We've cleared out space for a shooting range, and built BBQ pits. No electricity, no cell service or internet. We go out on the weekend & shoot BBQ and visit. We've decided to just move out there and act like little boys until this is over.
Sound like a good plan to me!
ENJOY!!
(I know I sure would)
::tu::
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:15 pm Well CRAP... you mean the crazies that were making a run on ammo first go-round are doing it again?
::facepalm::
That's OK, If I need to go shoot a squirrel, I can... that is IF I need to do it to survive.
Thing about it is this.....
The NUTS that are buying up all the ammo would NOT have a clue how to survive if they had to. About the best they could do is trade a case of ammo for a loaf of bread....
PEOPLE NEVER cease to amaze me...... not at their brilliance.... but.... THEIR STUPIDITY.
If and when we have a REAL national emergency, their WILL be biggest mess in this country YOU HAVE EVER SEEN!
::smack::
The reason some of them buy so much ammo and nothing else is they would not be trading for that loaf of bread in a national emergency. They would simply kill you and take it.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:09 pm
The reason some of them buy so much ammo and nothing else is they would not be trading for that loaf of bread in a national emergency. They would simply kill you and take it.
If they want to get me, they better be ready for a fight. I don't plan to go down easy.
(But, I guess, they may have snipers..... I know I do)
Of course that would be the scenario during a REAL national emergency.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Picked up this new Ruger. I was drawn to it by the serious YouTube Gunners, i.e. those with a public reputation and name recognition.
All were highly positive and uniformly praised the trigger which is exceptional: a short smooth takeup followed by a light break. I especially like what Ruger did with the sights. Its a standard 3 dot sight, however the front sight is much larger than the rear sights. In fact it looks like an express sight. Very helpful for my old eyes. The ergonomics, the grip, are superb for my hand. Two magazines are provided, a 12 round and 17 round; also a magazine loading assist tool is provided.
P1030600 (3).JPG
P1030601 (2).JPG
P1030602 (2).JPG
P1030604 (2).JPG
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

That Gary, is one heck of a good looking/sounding edc ::tu:: . I can just imagine how comfy it is, and knowing Ruger's accuracy for it's pistols, perty much perfect edc. ::tu::
If I ever get my special carry permit, that just might be the one i'm going with.
Willy :D
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thanks Willy. I do highly recommend it but its always best to handle a firearm, if at all possible, to make sure it suits you. The backstrap is reversible providing two grip options. It also has an external safety. But you can carry the gun without using the external safety. There is an internal safety as well as the trigger safety.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Nice Ruger!
Congrats on the new addition!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thank you Mike.

When I was in our small local gun store looking at ammunition I was startled to see a box of .416 Rigby. This is an excellent round to use against a charging Cape Buffalo, a Rhino, or similarly ill-disposed creatures. I asked the store owner if such animals were wandering the woods of Kentucky. He replied that the .416s were for groundhogs which I thought was pretty funny.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Quick Steel wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:45 am
When I was in our small local gun store looking at ammunition I was startled to see a box of .416 Rigby. This is an excellent round to use against a charging Cape Buffalo, a Rhino, or similarly ill-disposed creatures. I asked the store owner if such animals were wandering the woods of Kentucky. He replied that the .416s were for groundhogs which I thought was pretty funny.
Geeeezzzz... what in the world..... yep, I think a 416 would definitely dispose of groundhogs or prarie dogs
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Mike, just to be clear, the gentleman was joking. He is getting on in years but was really into hunting in times gone by. Hunted bear in Canada. His photo showed a very large black bear. His trophies of deer mounted on the walls were excellent specimens.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Quick Steel wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:52 pm Mike, just to be clear, the gentleman was joking. He is getting on in years but was really into hunting in times gone by. Hunted bear in Canada. His photo showed a very large black bear. His trophies of deer mounted on the walls were excellent specimens.
LOL... oooops, I forgot to put a (LOL) after my statement.... Yep, I was joking too. IF you hit a groundhog with that round.... there wouldn't be much left except a red mist.....LOL.

I figured your gun shop friend was a seasoned hunter. Hunting bear is something I have never done. That puts hunting on another level..... hunting something that can hunt you back! Especially the Grizzly!
And the guys that do it with a pistol...... that is way beyond what I would try!
:shock:
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I am not a hunter, but have no issue with hunting done by honorable sportsmen. Some types of hunting bother me: hunting bear over bait like a pile of donuts. I'll only add that the single saddest hunting film I ever watched involved hunting bear with dogs. The dogs easily treed the bear. Then, upon being shot by the hunter, the bear emitted the loudest, saddest, groan I have ever heard. It seemed to come out of the depths of the very earth the bear fell upon.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

The older I have gotten, the less I care for hunting. I have been there and done that so to speak. The only hunting I have ever done was for game to eat. I have never nor will ever support hunting for trophies alone. I really don't even care for fishing just for trophies. I like to fish and hunt..... I know how to do both and really enjoy a plate of fried fish or fried squirrel.... A bear would have to attack me before I would shoot it. We have small black bears in Mississippi and we now are starting to see alligators. Either of those get a free pass if they come across my path. I think I am among the "admire it" crowd now.
I hunt arrowheads in our local creeks..... We see all kinds of snakes regularly. We just look at them a few minutes, and keep on going. Too many people will be astonished and ask why I didn't kill it..... I always say, "Well, I was in his house.... he was not in mine."
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Colonel26 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:24 pm Whew! I’m not the only one!!!

Mine is a model 65 with the heavy 4” barrel. I’d love to find a 3” barreled one.
Like this? My son has it now.
Attachments
DSC08206.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Very nice Jerry!
Now THAT is the grip I like most. They seem to fit my hand best and don't hurt my hand during shooting.
I still need a set of target grips for my Model 28 (Highway Patrolman). It has a set of small factory grips and after about half a box, it kinda wears on your hand a bit.

oops forgot the pic....
here ya go....
Left side after clean up.JPG

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”