Guns & Gun Related Stuff

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
bighomer

Re: Guns & Gun Related Stuff

Post by bighomer »

Gave 75 dollars for mine at Woodard hardware in Springfield TN. In 1975, that fine looking holster wuz made by yours truly from a scrap off a big sheet of heavy duty leather that the insulators used at work.
Attachments
20221130_102509_remastered.jpg
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

bighomer wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:48 pm Gave 75 dollars for mine at Woodard hardware in Springfield TN. In 1975, that fine looking holster wuz made by yours truly from a scrap off a big sheet of heavy duty leather that the insulators used at work.
I like it, the year before I was born too. It looks like it has survived the years better than I have,

I ran that $75 1975 dollars through an inflation calculator and it came out to $415.44 in 2022 dollars. So adjusted for today’s dollars you bought it cheaper than they’re going for new today!

And that holster is plumb snazzy!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Bought mine in late '66. Paid somewhere around $50. At least that's the way I remember it. Don't take that to the bank.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Might as well throw my hat in the ring during the Ruger section of the discussion.
I traded for a little Ruger Bearcat when I was in high school, probably in 1963 or '64. The guy that I got if from had bought it and was squirrel hunting with it. He shot a squirrel and as he was retrieving it, accidently shot himself in the thigh with it. I guess he had cocked it and didn't think. ::shrug::
It was a short time later he decided to get rid of it and I became the proud owner. It has a serial number beginning with the letter X followed by three numerals. Ruger information says that it was probably made in 1960. Seems they didn't keep records electronically in the early days (according to their web site).
I haven't shot it in years.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Man! That’s a great story TF!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I have an old Marlin 80E 22 S,L,LR with an 8 shot detachable mag. The E was made from 1936-1939 and came originally with a hooded front sight and a Marlin 12R receiver sight, and a steel butt plate. In 1936, for one year only they had a finger groove military style stock.

Here’s mine that I’ve had for a few years. The hood is missing, the rear sight elevator is gone, and it didn’t have the receiver sight when I got it. But on the days I can see the itty bitty sight it’s the most accurate 22 I’ve ever shot.

The old 12R receiver sights are out there, but man they’re high. So looking in the bay I found an old steel Redfield Micrometer sight made for the model 80/81. I made an offer, he accepted, and it arrived today. Now I have to trim some 6-48 screw to length, redo the bluing, clean the stock, and make the old girl pretty again.
34796B72-5F76-4702-B67C-EA40052E6946.jpeg
99127022-8E4C-41D4-96BF-382A15BF3838.jpeg
F0B25DAA-6672-4E00-9D4F-0A48AFE2D10A.jpeg
A66CF34F-D157-4556-99B0-38B202DEB081.jpeg
77AE059E-1F34-474C-993C-7CA9E22506FB.jpeg
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

My Single Six was only made from 1959 - 1969 and they only made a little over a half a million of them.
Attachments
Ruger Single Six & Mag Cyl.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

I have a Uberti Cattleman...

It is a pretty nice SA 22 cal pistol....

008.JPG

:D
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

The Ruger Wrangler is also available with a birdshead grip and 3 and 3/4" barrel. It comes in 3 colors, burnt bronze, silver, and this one is black.
IMG_4927.JPG
New holster I made for the birdshead Wrangler, also fits the standard Wrangler
IMG_4928.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Nice pistol AND.... GREAT leather work!
Beautiful holster!!!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

You guys are killing me with those wheel guns. ::drool:: 💯
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Love the revolver and holster OC.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:05 pm The Ruger Wrangler is also available with a birdshead grip and 3 and 3/4" barrel. It comes in 3 colors, burnt bronze, silver, and this one is black.
IMG_4927.JPG
New holster I made for the birdshead Wrangler, also fits the standard Wrangler
IMG_4928.JPG
Double sweet!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Great show of wheel guns ::tu::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Several years ago, on a whim, I bought an AR15 lower and a lower parts kit, just the basic MILSPEC type, nothing high end. An old ARNG buddy had an original M16A1 buttstock and tube that he gave me, I found a surplus buffer and spring. He put the parts together for me (he was an armorer when we were young guys in the Guard). I had the assembled lower sitting around for two years, trying to find an AR15A1 upper so I could make a semi-auto copy of my 1973 issued M16A1 - but nothing doing! Tried Wyndham, PSA, Brownell’s, DELTON, you name it. Last spring another Guard buddy gave me a tip and I found a Bear Creek Arsenal AR15A4 upper, I bought it and put together this Franken-rifle. The thing shoots 2 MOA at 100 yards with the issue irons and cheap PMC 62 grain LAP. Go figure! OH
Attachments
1138A925-A52F-47F8-9598-7B0C2615464A.jpeg
4089DA23-CC5F-4AB7-9748-A3186DC6012B.jpeg
51272CF4-DAB6-42EA-977B-68197D668875.jpeg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Wade, I’ll take the Redfield as quick as I’ll take a Lyman, and they are usually about 40% cheaper when I find one.
Jerry, that is a vintage Sngle Six, bet it is smooth by now. I have had several OM & NM Ruger 22 rim fires, but none now, down to one Colt SA 22 LR/22WMR. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Australian Gun Law Update:

Here's a thought to warm some of your hearts from Ed Chenel, A police officer in Australia

Hi Yanks, I thought you all would like to see the real figures from Down Under. It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by a new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by our own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.

The first year results are now in:
Australia-wide, homicides are up 6.2 percent,
Australia-wide, assaults are up 9.6 percent;
Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!

In the state of Victoria.....alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent.(Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not and criminals still possess their guns!)

While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since the criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed.There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the elderly, while the resident is at home.

Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in 'successfully ridding Australian society of guns.

You won't see this on the American evening news or hear your governor or members of the State Assembly disseminating this information.

The Australian experience speaks for itself. Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens.

Take note Americans, before it's too late!
Attachments
9CF9D14F-734A-4E3B-9CA1-BCC080E1473B.jpeg
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Makes me sick to my stomach.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Open Range-19
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Open Range-19 »

Thanks bestgear for your post. Sad to hear about Australia . The law-abiding are forced to break the law and not disarm or become victims. Statistics have repeatedly verified the horrible results for society of political leaders disarming the people with the lie of safety as an excuse. Two reasons given for the huge numbers of people moving from “blue” states to “red” states here are leaving higher crime and higher taxes.
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Illinois lawmakers are introducing a bill to ban future sales, statewide, of AR15s and any gun with more than a 10 round capacity. Those who currently own an AR15 would not be required to turn it in, but would have to pay an annual fee.
Meanwhile, in "gun free" Chicago, gun related murders and robberies continue to soar. There have also been recent robberies (muggings) on the street, in which the perpetrators were brandishing hammers.
No word yet on possible legislation to ban sales of hammers.
Ike
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

So thankful to live in gun friendly Iowa. In the past 2 years have gone to constitutional carry(no permit required) and added a 2nd Amendment Rights to the state constitution. I travel a lot and have 3 different states carry permits but nothing I can do about Illinois or California. And I don’t go to the NE states.
Do we have crime here? Sure but is dealt with, no such thing as “no bail” release. Have had 2 high profile murders in the past two years. The 3 defendants were held on $1 million cash only bond. One is doing 25 years on a plea, another one was sentenced yesterday to life with no possibility of parole.
This was drug related and strangulation.
The other case was found guilty 2 days ago in1st degree murder, sentencing is in 3 weeks. This was a shooting, domestic related. Hopefully there will be no further appeals. No body is begging for gun control.
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Boji wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:14 pm So thankful to live in gun friendly Iowa. In the past 2 years have gone to constitutional carry(no permit required) and added a 2nd Amendment Rights to the state constitution. I travel a lot and have 3 different states carry permits but nothing I can do about Illinois or California. And I don’t go to the NE states.
Do we have crime here? Sure but is dealt with, no such thing as “no bail” release. Have had 2 high profile murders in the past two years. The 3 defendants were held on $1 million cash only bond. One is doing 25 years on a plea, another one was sentenced yesterday to life with no possibility of parole.
This was drug related and strangulation.
The other case was found guilty 2 days ago in1st degree murder, sentencing is in 3 weeks. This was a shooting, domestic related. Hopefully there will be no further appeals. No body is begging for gun control.
Boji, we went to Constitutional carry also but I still renew my CCW permit. There are a number of states that honor our permit and we do theirs. Reciprocal carry among states is not honored for constitutional carry, only CCW holders. I think they should issue a national permit, like a drivers license. The anti gun idiots KNOW that disarming honest people doesn’t stop crime. Yet they are willing to waive their right to be free. Liberals are mentally deficient.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Just back from the range with my son in law,ran sum Smiths and his new 2.0 medallion quite a pistol ::smirk::
Attachments
IMG_1814.JPG
IMG_1818.JPG
IMG_1820.JPG
IMG_1821.JPG
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Old Hunter wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:06 am Wade, I’ll take the Redfield as quick as I’ll take a Lyman, and they are usually about 40% cheaper when I find one.
Jerry, that is a vintage Sngle Six, bet it is smooth by now. I have had several OM & NM Ruger 22 rim fires, but none now, down to one Colt SA 22 LR/22WMR. OH
I love this old Redfield. I’m looking for one (or more) to put on a few 336/1894 Marlin rifles. But man are they hard to come across, and highly regarded if/when you find one.

What is amazing to me about his old sight for the 22 is that the “clicks” on the old Redfield are 1/4 minute of angle clicks. It takes 12 clicks to turn the turret one whole revolution and it takes on revolution to move the sight one mark on the indicator.

That means each of those marks on the side is 3 inches at 100 yards!!! That is a TON of adjustment for a 22 rifle.

Now if I can jut get the weather and the time to sight it in.
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

garddogg56 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:08 pm Just back from the range with my son in law,ran sum Smiths and his new 2.0 medallion quite a pistol ::smirk::
Nice hardware! Looks like a great day!
Robert E. Lee

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”