Guns & Gun Related Stuff

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Guns & Gun Related Stuff

Post by 1967redrider »

Great looking Colt, Jerry. 😎👍👍
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Thanks Dan, Sam and John for the thumbs up!

I would eat dirt and live under a bridge before I ever let this gun go. If that is the case, might need it. Here is my other that will never go anywhere till I am gone...

Today's carry with same leather as yesterday. .38 Special Colt Diamondback with 4 inch barrel. Hair trigger. Born in 1968' (third year of production). Dad also bought this one in 1980'. Purchase price was $295.

Has to be the most balanced revolver I have ever handled. Original wood grips prevents use of speed loaders that work flawless on the Phython. Still trying to find an alternative option for speed loaders because grips are not going anywhere. For this reason, I carry a SIG semi-auto backup when I carry this one as well as extra .38 rounds in pocket.

Regards all, Jerry
Attachments
20220808_092211.jpg
20220808_092150.jpg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I believe that just owning guns of that quality inspires a fellow to shoot better.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

I agree Garry. The "Rolls Royce of Revolvers". If I am not hitting the target, straight and true, definitely not the gun. Feel good carry like the Phython. Right hip straight/ no cant versus left hip cross draw on Phython yesterday.

Take care. Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

zp4ja wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:49 pm Thanks Dan, Sam and John for the thumbs up!

I would eat dirt and live under a bridge before I ever let this gun go. If that is the case, might need it. Here is my other that will never go anywhere till I am gone...

Today's carry with same leather as yesterday. .38 Special Colt Diamondback with 4 inch barrel. Hair trigger. Born in 1968' (third year of production). Dad also bought this one in 1980'. Purchase price was $295.

Has to be the most balanced revolver I have ever handled. Original wood grips prevents use of speed loaders that work flawless on the Phython. Still trying to find an alternative option for speed loaders because grips are not going anywhere. For this reason, I carry a SIG semi-auto backup when I carry this one as well as extra .38 rounds in pocket.

Regards all, Jerry
Your best bet when speedloaders cant be used are these Bianchi Speed Strips. I have been using them since the 1970s. Work with 38 or 357, 2 for $12 at the local gunshop here. I use these for my derringer, 5 shot 38, and 6 shot 357. Carry easily in the pocket or put in a small plastic bag first. Best way is to load 2 rounds at a time into the cylinder, works a LOT faster than loose ammo.
IMG_4801.JPG
IMG_4802.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Nice Olde Cutler. Thanks much for the tip. Will check that lead out for sure.

Thanks and Regards, Jerry
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Looked those up OC. That's the ticket for now at least. Moon clips not an option as those are designed to revolvers that have tolerance specs to accommodate. This gun is not machined for that.
Thanks again. If I find additional alternatives I will post accordingly.

Jerry
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

zp4ja wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:49 pm Purchase price was $295.
If I could find a Colt Diamondback for that price today, I'd skip a meal a day to own it. Another one that you should definitely keep a tight grip on! ::tu::
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

zp4ja wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:36 pm Looked those up OC. That's the ticket for now at least. Moon clips not an option as those are designed to revolvers that have tolerance specs to accommodate. This gun is not machined for that.
Thanks again. If I find additional alternatives I will post accordingly.

Jerry
Once you get them, practice using until proficient. They are solid rubber material and hold by the rim securely. With cylinder empty, load 2 rounds from strip into cylinder, then twist the strip to release into the cylinder. Repeat, repeat and your done. Kind of a peeling motion. Like I said, I have been using them since the 1970s and they dont last forever, but are cheap enough to replace.
Shown used with my Ruger GP100.
IMG_4803.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Not going anywhere Dan, till I am gone. I heard a saying once, "You can't have an amored car as a hearse". I believe from a member here that will remain nameless at this point. You can I guess if they pour it in the box before 6 feet under. Will go to a close friend when my time comes.

Jerry
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Will do OC. Thanks for the suggestion and time to post the pictures.

Regards. Jerry
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Just looked at a local auction listing for Sunday. A 2 1/2 in Diamondback .38. And I like short barrels. I’m in trouble!
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

AR Magazine question:
Will 5.56/.223 magazine feed 6.5 Grendel ammo properly? Grendel rounds load in mag with no issues. Just wondering before I go further.
Any thoughts? ::shrug::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Open Range-19
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Open Range-19 »

Search provided this;
“Although 6.5 Grendel can technically fit inside regular 5.56 and .223 magazines, it's not recommended. The followers and feed lips may interfere with this slightly larger cartridge, resulting in failures to feed or failures to chamber. We recommend using Grendel-specific AR-15 magazines. These magazines maintain the same external dimensions as 5.56/.223 magazines (they do have to fit in a regular AR lower) but the lips and followers are modified to handle the Grendel cartridge with better reliability and proper feeding.”
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Thanks for the information, Open Range-19. ::handshake::
I have a couple of short Duramag SS magazines with the followers stamped 6.5 and a 30 round that is for the .223 and they look alike. ::hmm::
Just learning about the AR style rifles, it seems there are way too many options available and lots of questionable opinions floating around.
Treefarmer

Open Range-19
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Open Range-19 »

6.5 Grendel is a good one. Remember that there were two different chambers lengths as one company recessed their bolt deeper than the other company to save on extractor breakage. So bolt and barrel need to match up.
See more here:

“6.5 Grendel Type 2 Bolt Vs. Type 1: Which Is Better?
March 19, 2019 by Jerry Gonzalez
This post may contain affiliate links. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission (no added cost for you).

There are two types of bolts/chambering for the 6.5 Grendel. They are 6.5 Grendel Type 2 and 6.5 Grendel Type 1 Bolt.

So what is the difference between them? Which is better and safer? The answers to these questions will be mentioned below:

6.5 GRENDEL TYPE 2 BOLT CARRIER GROUP

View Details at Brownells
The Differences Between 6.5 Grendel Type 2 Bolt and Type 1

Both 6.5 Grendel Type 2 Bolt and Type 1 Bolt have the same case head diameter of 7.62x39 mm.

However, the significant difference between them lies in the depth of the bolt face (or head spacing).

The 6.5 Grendel type 2 bolt or original Grendel was designed to be used with a Grendel bolt, or a 0.135/0.136 bolt face. Meanwhile, the 6.5 Grendel type 1 bolt has a 0.125 bolt depth.

This difference starts with the following exciting story.

The 6.5 Grendel type 2 bolt was under the copyright of Bill Alexander. But he was upset that SAAMI did not grant his invention a patent, makings Type 1 come being.

To avoid legal troubles, the manufacturer Les Baer Custom Inc. modified the 6.5 Grendel barrel and turned it into 0.125 bolt face.

The-bolt-depth-of-each-type-of-6.5 Grendel
The bolt depth of each type of 6.5 Grendel will affect the extractor strength.
From this, we can understand that SAAMI did not approve the 6.5 Grendel Type 2 bolt, but they did with Type 1.

Accordingly, “6.5 Grendel Type 2” will be stamped on the bolt of the Standard Grendel while most 6.5 Grendel Type 1 will have the word “SAAMI” stamped on the barrel.

Aside from the difference on the bolt depth, these two 6.5 Grendel types are also the neck depth and the taper shape.

The neck depth of 6.5 Grendel is 0.300 diameters while that of type 1 is 0.295 diameters.

Also, the taper in the gun's throat of the Grendel is compound while of 6.5 Grendel type 1 is straight.

For easier understanding, we summarize in the table as below, you can check it!

Types
Case head diameter
Bolt depth (diameters)
SAAMI approval
Neck depth (diameters)
Taper shape
6.5 Grendel Type 2 Bolt
7.62x39 mm
0.135/0.136
No
Compound
6.5 Grendel Type 1 Bolt
7.62x39 mm
Yes
Straight
6.5 Grendel Type 2 vs Type 1: Which is Better?

The original 6.5 Grendel with the bolt depth of 0.135 diameters has a disadvantage in comparison to Type 1. The deeper bolt face causes some problems on the bolt and extractor.

Meanwhile, Les Baer Custom has the .264 LBC canister, well matched with the 6.5 Grendel. It has a design of a 7.62x39mm standard bolt as well.

It, in the end, provides shooters higher flexibility to exchange the barrels between versions of AR-15s while saving your budget.

But in the term of the gun’s throat, the Grendel’s compound shape is believed to make various ammunitions fire better.

Related Video

Related: Bolt Carrier Group Coatings: What’s the Difference?

Concluding What Has Been Said Above

After comparing 6.5 Grendel Type 2 Bolt Vs. Type 1, have you chosen yourself a proper one?

Each type has its strengths and weaknesses. So I think you had better choose the one you like and fit with your use and budget.

If you see this information is helpful, share them with your friends or partner!

Read more our recent post about best ar15 scopes here. It'll help you chose a good one for your ar rifle! Or if you own another rifle/shotgun/pistol, read my Scopes & Sights Resource.”
Open Range-19
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Open Range-19 »

treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Woah, Brother! You’re overwhelming this old model 700 Remington user! Been a walnut and blue steel rifle shooter way too long to digest all the technical ins and outs of these little pop guns.::nod::
I’m grateful for your expertise as a gunsmith helping me understand some of the AR issues. Back in the day, we were introduced to the M-16, only a familiarization, we kept the M-14. We referred to them as Matel toys and I was never interested in them. Fast forward almost 60 years and somehow I have two AR’s, a 5.56/.223 and a 6.5 Grendel. ::shrug::
Thanks again for the information.
Treefarmer

Open Range-19
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Open Range-19 »

::tu::
Fifty plus years ago we would carefully bed our barreled actions, adjust our triggers and tweak hand loads to shoot little groups at 100 yards. Once I installed a decent trigger and learned how to properly lube an AR to keep it running I found out tight groups were the rule rather than the exception and with factory hardball no less. Always suspected that the multi lugged bolt head held by a cam pin contributed to accuracy along with the float tube type handguards. CNC machining and advances in barrel making and ammunition manufacturing have their role as well.
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

50-60 years ago you were hot stuff if you owned a revolver, a bolt action rifle, and a pump shotgun.
I have an AR sitting in my safe, never fired it. Bought it when Hillary was running for president.
I have joined the 21st century with handguns but still prefer revolvers.
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Carrying this since early rise today.

SIG SAUER P229 .40 cal. Seems to be a manufactured conceal carry based on limited slide serrations and tight controls. My understanding was it was a SIG SAUER buy-back (credit towards newer purchase) of a government alphabet acronym agency.

Nice thing about this SIG is that with purchase of a SIG .357 cartridge barrel, it drops in and no mag change is required. Cost was 500 bucks with a spare mag. Sold! Had it for a few years. Sweet carry at 12 +1.

Jerry
Attachments
20220820_074723.jpg
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

zp4ja wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:51 pm Carrying this since early rise today.

SIG SAUER P229 .40 cal. Seems to be a manufactured conceal carry based on limited slide serrations and tight controls. My understanding was it was a SIG SAUER buy-back (credit towards newer purchase) of a government alphabet acronym agency.

Nice thing about this SIG is that with purchase of a SIG .357 cartridge barrel, it drops in and no mag change is required. Cost was 500 bucks with a spare mag. Sold! Had it for a few years. Sweet carry at 12 +1.

Jerry
The Sig 357 round is exceptionally hot. :shock:

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Yes Ray. About 200 bucks drop in barrel. Same mags as I stated. Kind of an odd looking bullet as I recall but been a while. Not straight case as I remember.

Jerry
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

zp4ja wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:12 am Yes Ray. About 200 bucks drop in barrel. Same mags as I stated. Kind of an odd looking bullet as I recall but been a while. Not straight case as I remember.

Jerry
Yep, it is a necked down 40.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
catspa

Post by catspa »

Boji wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:50 pm 50-60 years ago you were hot stuff if you owned a revolver, a bolt action rifle, and a pump shotgun.
I have an AR sitting in my safe, never fired it. Bought it when Hillary was running for president.
I have joined the 21st century with handguns but still prefer revolvers.
60 years ago, I was too young to be hot stuff. But 54 years ago, I was handed down my grandpa’s single shot bolt .22 (still got it), so I was on my way. Took me 10 yrs more to get a H&R 9-shot.22 revolver, most of the way there. Didn’t get a pump shotgun til my late 20s, so I guess the definition of hot stuff had moved on without me.

I still shoot that bolt rifle more than any other gun I own, and am stuck in the pre-WWII era with handguns.

Parker

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”