Guns & Gun Related Stuff

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
steve99f

Re: Guns & Gun Related Stuff

Post by steve99f »

Nice SAA's Dave! What caliber?
steve99f
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

steve99f wrote:Nice SAA's Dave! What caliber?
The Blackhawk is .38 Spl /.357 Magnum. The Super Blackhawk is .44 Mag.
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

CheckSix wrote:
steve99f wrote:Nice SAA's Dave! What caliber?
The Blackhawk is .38 Spl /.357 Magnum. The Super Blackhawk is .44 Mag.
Two fine firearms my friend.

Regards, Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::tu:: Took my 15 year old grandson to the range today. It was his first time. He used my Mk. 1 Ruger with the bull barrel with a Bushnell 1X trophy series scope. Got most close to the red center at 25 yds. Shot better than his grandpa. His other grandpa was a Marine maybe that's where he got it from. Didn't do to bad with my 9mm Sig. too. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

CheckSix:
Saw the photo of your 1908 pocket pistol and thought you might enjoy this. It is a few years older and in what I think is an original holster. Made to be worn on belt or stuck in your pocket. It is .32acp.
moss
PICT0001.JPG
PICT0002.JPG
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Nice little 1903 Pocket Pistol, Mossdancer.
I have something similar on page 187 here.
They are a great handgun, as I'm sure the 1908 model is.
Designed by John Browning so how bad could it be.
Joe
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Organizing my ammo today I came across a box of 12 gauge sabot shells I had long forgotten about. I have never fired sabot. Do any of you have any experience with sabots. Specifically, what kind of accuracy and range might they offer out of a smooth bore tube?
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Quick Steel wrote:Organizing my ammo today I came across a box of 12 gauge sabot shells I had long forgotten about. I have never fired sabot. Do any of you have any experience with sabots. Specifically, what kind of accuracy and range might they offer out of a smooth bore tube?
I don't have a whole lot of experience with them nor am I an expert. But, in my opinion, your question is too vague to answer "specifically" and accurately. There are many sabot slugs types in varying degrees of ballistic coefficients which of course affect accuracy at a given range. Some I know that have lived in Alaska have said the bear sabot slugs the cops and locals use will penetrate one or two telephones poles clear through. Unsure of what distance and never personally witnessed or tested myself.

Accuracy and range for what purpose? What is the specific ammo type? Hitting paper? Downing a deer? Self defense? Distance from barrel until it hits the dirt? What?

I may not even be able to provide the accurate response even if the suggested additional information is provided. However, might help someone else more experienced than I answer your question.

Regards, Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I take your point of varying characteristics depending on the type of sabot. Am not familiar with the varieties of sabots. While I see that different shell charges will affect range and perhaps accuracy, whatever shell is selected should have the about the same accuracy whether one is shooting at paper targets or anything else. In other words, the type of sabots used will affect accuracy as will the shooter himself. But I do not see why the type of target would affect accuracy. The target will certainly determine penetration and effectiveness, etc. But it seems to me that accuracy is determined elsewhere than the target.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Quick Steel wrote:I take your point of varying characteristics depending on the type of sabot. Am not familiar with the varieties of sabots. While I see that different shell charges will affect range and perhaps accuracy, whatever shell is selected should have the about the same accuracy whether one is shooting at paper targets or anything else. In other words, the type of sabots used will affect accuracy as will the shooter himself. But I do not see why the type of target would affect accuracy. The target will certainly determine penetration and effectiveness, etc. But it seems to me that accuracy is determined elsewhere than the target.
Correct on accuracy in regards to projectile used and shooter skill in addition to a huge variety of environmental factors. That answered that question unless you would like to provide a picture of the shell box and someone can narrow it further.

You specifically asked also about range. Range is a whole different ball game. That said, If going beyond expected or effective range, it can indeed affect accuracy. When I hear "range", I think "effective range" for a specific target type. I.E: dependent on target density, intended application and expected result.
Maybe I am misunderstanding your question?
Jerry
bigbore

Post by bigbore »

received_446774755687500.jpeg
Erwin
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Nice hardware, bigbore, and nice picture. ::tu::
Joe
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

About all I was interested in..is it reasonable to expect a sabot to hit a pie plate at 15 yards, given the shooter does his part? I read an article years ago about a fellow in Alaska who specialized in the take down of rogue bears. I don't recall if he was a government employee or a contractor. At any rate, two teenage boys were killed by a bear. He in turn shot the bear at about 20' Would have been way too close for my comfort.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Dependent on the gun, cartridge and projectile type, I would say hitting a pie plate with a 12 gauge Sabot held by a bear at 15 yards is reasonable.
Whether the the bear is dead or just really pissed off you destroyed his best China pie plate is a different story. That depends on the cartridge and projectile.

Jerry
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::hmm:: 12 gage Sabot slugs are suppose to be far superior than regular slugs. Designed to be acurate when hunting deer and larger game. Accurate out to maybe 30 yds. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

He is referring to sabot from a smooth bore, not rifled. As I personally opine, it depends on the cartridge and projectile. Some sabots are blunt.

I have a LIVE .30-06 round in my bullet collection that has a wood projectile. It is a .30-06, a very capable round, but likely given the wood bullet, not going to take down a deer unless I have the blast hole resting on his eyeball when I pull the trigger.

I personally test fire an ammo if I have question as far as effectiveness and leave the results I see myself to determine effectiveness and range.

Here are the variety of Sabots that could be the ammo under discussion...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabot

https://www.google.com/search?q=Sabot+s ... 80&bih=934

Jerry
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

bigbore wrote:0received_446774755687500.jpeg
........that looks like the same kind of pistol my grandfather carried in a shoulder holster, I think his was a .44 colt. he was chief of police here from 1928-1952, his belly was so big, he couldn't wear it around his waist!!...nobody ever messed with him!!!........ ::tu:: .................
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

The sabots I have, one box of 5, are from Federal Premium, with Barnes Expander slugs. Can only be used in rifled barrels.
bigbore

Post by bigbore »

carrmillus
It is a Model 1851 Colt Navy .36 percussion revolver.
Loaded with black powder and round ball from the front of the Cylinder.
Erwin
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

bigbore wrote:carrmillus
......seems like I remember his broke open and he would change cylinders, instead of loading bullets into it??............ ::shrug:: ................
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Quick Steel wrote:The sabots I have, one box of 5, are from Federal Premium, with Barnes Expander slugs. Can only be used in rifled barrels.
Google is our friend. Now that the cartridge and projectile in known, that is the point I was making. The ammo that QS is referencing is quite impressive from what I just read. Need a rifled barrel though as QS stated and the fact that they say “FULLY RIFLED BARRELS ONLY and no Damascus or steel twist leads to caution one to read the box. Impending doom may occur if used improperly.
There are so many Sabot slugs out there now it is crazy. We could have been discussing a Sabot “dart” or blunt tip round for all I knew.
It would be like comparing a Flechette small arm round to a Flechette artillery round. Huge difference.
Federal Premium Vital-Shok Ammunition 12 Gauge 3" 3/4 oz – 300 Grain Barnes Expander
3 reviews. USE IN FULLY RIFLED BARRELS ONLY. A reviewer says, the box also stated Item #6 "do not use these shells in guns with Damascus or twist steel barrels"
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/75801 ... e-box-of-5
Post Federal Barnes Expander Slugs "Trophy Copper" loads. 33 reviews/ Average Review 2 of 5 stars/ 21 Reviews with a 1 star rating. Inaccurate and no take down results being biggest compliant I can see. Read for yourself here…
https://www.federalpremium.com/ammuniti ... gs/p152-tc
Here is a sabot that looks like the Goodyear blimp made of rubber. The 12 GUAGE FIN STABILZED ROUND. Seems it is considered a Sabot…
http://www.vastacademy.com.au/vast-spec ... gun-rounds
Jerry
bigbore

Post by bigbore »

carrmillus wrote:
bigbore wrote:carrmillus
......seems like I remember his broke open and he would change cylinders, instead of loading bullets into it??............ ::shrug:: ................
If it was a percussion revolver maybe a Remington new Army.
Look at Minute 2"
https://youtu.be/761LH1DhWGU
Erwin
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Here are a couple of Springfields for us "old" guys to look at.
The Garand was made December 1941.
M1.JPG
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
mikek

Post by mikek »

Now those two rifles ROCK. very nice. Mike
I pay extra for patina
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

The M-14 was what we qualified with at P.I. in 1964, then at ITR we backed down to the M-1. I had owned an M-1 while I was in high school so I wasn't bumfuzzled by stepping back! ::tu:: Wish I hadn't traded it off. :( (There is a long list of firearms and vehicles I wish I had not traded off.)
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”