Cool Old Tools

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Cool Old Tools

Post by 1967redrider »

treefarmer wrote:1967redrider, that's a great video of old equipment! Love to hear the old engines idling. When I was a little feller, one of the cattlemen had an old John Deere that could be heard for the longest distance. It made a spat, spat, spat noise while he pulled some sort of bottom plow in an old flat woods field.
The 1st home I remember was next to a sawmill. In the video, the carriage for the logs and the chain that pulled the sawdust out and away from the saw blade was very similar to what was next door. It was a great place to play when the men went home in the afternoons. Can't remember getting hurt playing around the mill. There was always a lot of pine tar on my knees and hands that mother had to clean off with kerosene.
I noticed a couple of Model A's that reminded me of some of the ones we had as teenagers. They were called "Skeeters", hood, front fenders, windshield, some sort of seat and a little flat bed on the back and of course some bigger tires. Those old engines were so easy to keep running even I could work on one. I remember going to Sears Roebuck and buying a 21/32", half inch drive socket to undo the rod bolts. ::hmm:: Oh how I wish I still had the 3 Model A's I used to own!
I do have an old single cylinder International Harvester stationary engine somewhere out in my shop. That might be a good project for an old man when he gets tired of pocket knives.
We are enjoying a rainy afternoon and as I watched the Somerset video it brought back a lot of old memories!
Treefarmer
Glad you enjoyed it as much as I do, Tree! Every year around the first weekend of September I try to go to Somerset, depending on the weather. Some years it gets swampy, some are hot and dusty, but I've always had a good time seeing how things used to be done. ::tu:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Back in Ed's tool shed another old Apex keenedge knife and scissors sharpener 8)
Attachments
IMG_20190711_155347778.jpg
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
eveled

Post by eveled »

These are some of mine that made it into a display in my barn then got buried.
505BFAAD-4B00-43C9-B9E9-64CEF987DCD2.jpeg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

The ultimate Steam Punk video. Thanks Redrider.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Eveled I love old tool walls like that ::tu::
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

50th annual theshermens show at Adam's Tn. July 19th and 20th. Great show, steam engines, gas engines, ole tractors and mule and tractor pulls. ::ds:: ::super_happy:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

We occasionally stop here in the historical town of Fillmore Ca. It's on the way to Ventura Ca. for the weekly fresh ocean fish market, held every Saturday. Many Antique shops within this small town.
There are many older turn of the century operational trains based here that are older than the one I posted.(Diesel, Coal-Steam.)
Weekend train rides to Santa Paula Ca. Murder mystery train trips such as: "Murder on the Orient Express"
The below tools are within one of the many historical buildings at the Southern Pacific Railroad Depot.
IMG_2970.jpg
IMG_2969.JPG
IMG_2961.JPG
IMG_2973.JPG
IMG_2975.JPG
IMG_2976.JPG
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Very interesting photos. Thanks for posting Dan.
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

I am restoring a bandsaw given to me about 15 years ago. I stuck it in a shed and it got a little rusty. I figured after spending about $200 on rust remover, wire brushes, sand paper, and about 10,000 man hours of labor, I will have me a nice bandsaw worth about $100. :lol:

Here's what I started with:
Attachments
Cracked trunnion.jpg
bandsaw 1.jpg
bandsaw 2.jpg
20180728_145611.jpg
20180728_145628.jpg
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

...and current status:
Attachments
20190705_170918.jpg
20190709_134149.jpg
20190711_133850.jpg
20190711_133956.jpg
20190711_134155.jpg
20190711_134407.jpg
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

::tu:: ::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Unk wrote:...and current status:
Beautiful dog.
rexstubbins

Post by rexstubbins »

How about this one
Attachments
20190712_202728.jpg
Doug

The words vintage and antique are vague. Actually most words are vague. Even the word vague is vague.
Pocket Knife Art
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Looks like some kind of pipe cutter? ::shrug::
Mike

keithlong

Post by keithlong »

Nice ole bandsaw. Should be a nice working saw again.
KeithLLong

It does not cost any more to carry a sharp knife than it does to carry a dull knife
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Thanks, Cudgee. He's a big goofball, and under my feet most of the time.

And thanks, Keith. It's a 14" Delta clone, made in Taiwan in 1983, so that makes it about 36 years old. Parts are interchangable with most 14" bandsaws, so parts are plentiful. I bought new trunnions, bearings, cool blocks, and a new blade guard for it. It should be good enough for my home garage. I made a little more progress on it this weekend, with lots of sanding, primering, and painting - see pics. I should get the base re-assembled this week, and I will post some more pics as I progress.
Attachments
Joshka 7-2019.jpg
20190714_222938.jpg
20190714_222954.jpg
20190714_223032.jpg
20190714_223048.jpg
Mike

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

I bet you love him to death though!!! :mrgreen:
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Yep, my wife spoils both our dogs like they are her babies. I guess I do to.

I got a little more done on the band saw tonight. A little more painting, a little more wire brushing, and the I got the base assembled. Who knew there was so much sheet metal on a bandsaw? :lol:

I am using Rustoleum "Hammered" paint. I don't recommend it - it's very difficult to get the hammered look, unless you put really thick coats - and then of it runs. Of course my painting skills leave a lot to be desired.
Attachments
20190715_123436.jpg
20190715_123456.jpg
20190715_210142.jpg
Mike

mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

You haven't seen runs until you spray a large section of the hull of a new $5-$7 million dollar yacht and get a big sag. Give the sander guy's the big boards and sand it off and try again. ::doh:: meaning two man long boards.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Great progress Mike.
Looking very professional.
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Mr. Watch, that sounds like a little bigger job than i would want to take on! :)

And thanks, Old Folder. I won't be able to work on it for a few days. Going to the deer lease to do a little hog hunting this weekend.
Mike

Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Well, the band saw ( I christened it Big Joe - after the label on it) is finally finished and sawing wood again. It won't win any concours d' elegance tool shows :lol: but it will suffice for my needs.

It runs nice and quiet without hardly any vibration. I screwed up and ordered a 93.5" blade from Amazon, and it was too big. It takes something smaller? Any body know what size this old saw would take? I am assuming 92.5, but not sure? I had to use an old rusty blade, but it still cuts just fine.
Attachments
Finished 1.jpg
Finished 2.jpg
Finished 3.jpg
Finished 4.jpg
Finished 5.jpg
Mike

garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Good looking job Mike ::nod:: Very handy piece of machinery right there..
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

Can't help with the length but we have a band saw blade welder at the seniors center. A saw sharpening shop may be able to cut and weld it to correct length for you? The upper wheel should have an adjuster to tighten the blade if it has enough room. Can someone help you wrap a tape measure all the way around? Also several type of teeth per inch for different material.
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Thanks Guys. I figured out the blade is 91.5 inches, and have one on order (this size is kind of hard to find). Here is the technique I used, by rolling the blade along the ground - just in case you ever need to measure a bandsaw blade. :D

https://www.detroitbandsaw.com/resource ... de-length/
Mike

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”