Cool Old Tools

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
FRJ

Re: Cool Old Tools

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Willy.
I'm glad you are saving them too. :)
Joe
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

8) ::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

Nice cleaning on the old tools. I have been working on a few old pipe wrenches and Monkey wrenches with the wood grips. Soak in vinegar to remove rust. I got a bunch of files in a bin for $1 at a garage sale with rust. some cleaned up with the vinegar, others I used electrolosis to remove the rust. Some were long and pricey imports. Made a couple of file handles with used golf balls, trick I seen on youTube.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

mrwatch wrote:Nice cleaning on the old tools. I have been working on a few old pipe wrenches and Monkey wrenches with the wood grips. Soak in vinegar to remove rust. I got a bunch of files in a bin for $1 at a garage sale with rust. some cleaned up with the vinegar, others I used electrolosis to remove the rust. Some were long and pricey imports. Made a couple of file handles with used golf balls, trick I seen on youTube.
Golf balls " well doggies" we just always used corncobs. What'll they think up next. Wow ::handshake::
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Many a time I have picked up an old file with a nice old Lutz file handle on it and ask what they wanted for "this old file"
and for one or two dollars I would have a very nice file handle and maybe a usable file.

............ Or sometimes you can just improvise.
Attachments
DSCN9337.JPG
Joe
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Hi FRJ,

Nice tools! Might the adjustable wrench be a Stanley with a missing rubber handle?

https://www.kmart.com/stanley-8-in-adju ... ?rrec=true
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I think that is a very acceptable comparison, Mike. With only a minor difference, I think that's it. ::nod::

Thanks Mike. ::tu::
Joe
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

My sister, Micki, and her husband came to visit this weekend. I made her this on my newly restored bandsaw. We used to make these for our girlfriends in shop class about 40 years ago. You can punch one of these out on the bandsaw in about 5 or 10 minutes....depending on how long the name is! :lol:
Attachments
20190913_212912.jpg
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Very cool Mike. ::nod::
eveled

Post by eveled »

2FAA329B-1B3A-4068-9D64-8B1FC03E502B.jpeg
Somebody gave me this pipe wrench. I put it next to my 36jnch standard Ridgid wrench for comparison.

Unfortunately the new wrench is just ballast it’s missing the vise that mounts to the pipe. It’s a compound leverage wrench.
9888146F-BF44-4C7B-BB41-9D4EB9FA4FF1.jpeg
A5CE3515-22C2-427E-906E-4F2813173ABE.jpeg
AB8C4860-C4E8-48B2-858F-7AC226F7E8F6.jpeg
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Great pics!!! Keep 'em coming. Fantastic to remember the old well made tools. If my father was still alive, he could look at old tools all day. Maybe i could have worded that better. ::facepalm:: ::dang::
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

eveled,
That's new one on me. ::hmm:: Looked up the patent number and it makes more sense. The best we could ever do was buy the plumbing crew a set of aluminum handled pipe wrenches. In later years all they needed was a can of blue glue and a sawzall. ::nod::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I recall the files in my Uncle Chester's shop having corn cob handles.

I suspect those had to be replaced frequently.

The shape and design cuts on that adjustible wrench are elegantly modern, almost "Space Age" in appearance. Sort of "Art Deco". Beautiful.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

I posted this vise on here last year, when I took it out and cleaned it up a bit. It was passed down to me by one of my cousins, and belonged to my gg-grandfather. I can't find any information on ""Temp-R-ite", so I am not sure who made it. It has 3" jaws, looks to be similar to a Dunlap and a Craftsman 5210. In searching through the old Sears Catalogs on ancestry.com, it looks like the started adding the hardy around the late 1930s, so I am assuming the vise dates to around late 30s to early 40s. The page below dates is from the 1939 catalog.

The vise had one jaw missing, and both screw heads were broke off. I figured it was going to be a bear to get those screws out, but I picked up an Irwin screw extractor, and was able to drill a hole in each of the broken screws on the drill press, and then use my hand drill to back them out. This was done much easier than expected, with no damage to the threads in the vise.

Now the problem is the stub of the hardie broken off in the anvil. I tried drilling it out with the drill press, but no-go. That broken off stub is hardened steel, and I made no progress other than dulling a couple of my drill bits. It may have to go to my buddy with who owns a machine shop to get that out. Then I will have to find a replacement hardie.

I have ordered a donor vise from e-bay to replace the swivel base (it was missing) and hopefully I can scavenge a jaw and some screws from it as well.
Attachments
20190923_194101.jpg
20190923_194111.jpg
20190923_194144.jpg
20190923_194231.jpg
20190923_194322.jpg
similar to vise on top left
similar to vise on top left
Mike

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Mike, that cleaned up real good. Good luck with your replacements parts. Hope to see it when it is all back together. ::tu:: ::tu::
eveled

Post by eveled »

I think I’d hot that hardy with a torch. Get it cherry red and let it cool. It will be easier to drill then.
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Thanks Doglegg. I wanted to leave a little patina on it, but it was pretty filthy when I started - rusty, oily, dirty, and a sloppy re-paint job.

Thanks Eveled, that's a good idea. I will try that.
Mike

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Really cool stuff being posted guys, keep it up ::tu:: ::tu:: . Just too bad I don't have the room, money, time, or energy to tackle all my old tools. I do have too many hobbies, something has to give. I truly don't wan't to give them up, really enjoy preserving history/quality old tools. But like I said, just too much going on. Knives/Guns/Music (Guitar)/Cycling eats up enough time/energy/money. At least all my new woodworking tools are slowly going to people that need them. Still it's too much too deal with for a sick dude. I'll keep my pop bottles and a few select items that I really like, and slowly move off each item 1 by 1. What can you do ::shrug:: . Like is life. You take the good with the bad ::nod:: .
Anyway, beautiful job on revitalizing the special vise Unk, and really neat pipe wrench eveled ::tu:: .
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

I made a little progress on the vise today. I got the replacement base installed. I also cut out a jaw to replace the missing one. Drilled some holes, countersunk them, and then used the grinder and hand files to work it into shape. It's starting to look like a functional vise again.

Next will be to cut some cross hatching on the new jaw, and then figure out how to harden it. Then primer and paint.

I'm just slathering make-up all over this pig! :lol: :lol:
Attachments
20190929_135214.jpg
20190929_150459.jpg
20190929_154724.jpg
20190929_154730.jpg
20190929_154341.jpg
Mike

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Looks great, you are doing a fantastic job. ::tu::
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

::nod::
Winston Churchill

Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Thanks guys.
Mike

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here is a beautiful old compass I got today at a flea market.

Winter & Son - 21 Grey St. - Newcastle on Tyne. --- 5 5/8"
Attachments
DSCN0161.JPG
DSCN0164.JPG
DSCN0167.JPG
DSCN0171.JPG
DSCN0173.JPG
DSCN0175.JPG
DSCN0177.JPG
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

And ...............
Attachments
DSCN0201.JPG
Joe
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I thought you all would find this interesting:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-E-C-St ... Swfeddqh-h

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”