Cool Old Tools

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Cool Old Tools

Post by Miller Bro's »

Speaking of work benches, several years back I broke my small work bench vise and Charlie N. sent me a replacement which I cleaned up and painted. It doesn't look this cherry anymore! :lol:

Thanks again Charlie ::tu::
Attachments
10.jpg
AAPK Janitor
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Miller Bro's wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:24 pm Speaking of work benches, several years back I broke my small work bench vise and Charlie N. sent me a replacement which I cleaned up and painted. It doesn't look this cherry anymore! :lol:

Thanks again Charlie ::tu::
Nice one, looks like a beauty! Don't you have a vise "collection"?
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Nice little vise for repair work. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

glennbad wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:49 pm Nice one, looks like a beauty!
Thanks it has worked well for me, it's a nice size for repair work.

Here's a picture of it on the bench when it was repainted.
glennbad wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:49 pm Don't you have a vise "collection"?
I don't specifically look for them but like everything else I end up "collecting" them! ::facepalm:: :lol:
Attachments
12.jpg
AAPK Janitor
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

1967redrider wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:16 pm Nice little vise for repair work. ::tu::
Thanks! ::handshake::
AAPK Janitor
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:22 pm General Tools have been around for a long time, and are still in business. I have a lot of stainless rules, wire gauges, drill gauges, sheet metal gauges, angle measuring devices, and screw pitch gauges that belonged to my dad. I found this one in a box of stuff I recently acquired. First rule I have seen with graduations in hundredths of an inch (between 2 and 3 inch marks on the bottom edge). I am going to have to get my pencil mighty sharp to mark from that one. lol The back is graduated in millimeters and 1/2 millimeters.
IMG_4788.JPG
IMG_4789.JPG
Old Cutler, I've had these little rules for many years. So long I don't remember where I got them. But I do use them every once in a while.
Attachments
Rule 2 (2).jpg
Rule 1.jpg
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Very nice vise, Miller Bros. You can't ever have too many vises. :lol:

I have this little screw-on vise made by Luther in Milwaukee, around 1910-1920s, I think. It was my great-grandfather's. I use it occasionally, but it has a nice hunk missing out of one of the jaw faces. It is interesting in that it is the rear jaw that slides in and out, opposite of most vises.
Attachments
20220805_150834.jpg
20220805_150820.jpg
20220805_150904.jpg
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

This is my grandfather's hand plane, which my father passed down to me years ago. It is a "Par Plus", a less expensive copy of a Stanley Bailey plane. I am thinking it dates to the 1930s or 40s. It has a stamped steel frog instead of a cast iron frog like the Stanley. However, I have sharpened and tuned it up, and it takes a nice, straight, thin curl. It is about the same size as a Stanley No. 3 smoothing plane. I used it to smooth out the workbench top after doing the rough work of leveling it out with the bigger Stanley planes. The top required almost no sanding after using this smoothing plane. There is something very satisfying when using one of my grandfather's tools.
Attachments
20220805_162153.jpg
20220805_162201.jpg
20220805_162238.jpg
Mike

Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Unk wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:59 am Very nice vise, Miller Bros. You can't ever have too many vises. :lol:

I have this little screw-on vise made by Luther in Milwaukee, around 1910-1920s, I think. It was my great-grandfather's. I use it occasionally, but it has a nice hunk missing out of one of the jaw faces. It is interesting in that it is the rear jaw that slides in and out, opposite of most vises.
Thanks Mike ::handshake::

That is a dandy of a vise you have!

Unusual and it looks good on your reconditioned bench
AAPK Janitor
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

In the box of miscellaneous that contained the General rule marked in hundredths that I showed above, I also got some additional interesting items.
Stanley Yankee ratcheting tap handle No. 251A in nearly new condition. It has a 3 position switch for forward ratchet, lock, and reverse ratchet control of the tap.
IMG_4797.JPG
This tool which seems to be some sort of interior pipe wrench. It fits into a hole .600" in diameter and when turned has an expanding collar which cams out to grip the interior of the object. It was most likely once one of a set for different size interior diameters. Anyone know the exact job this would do?
IMG_4798.JPG
This heavy duty knife which may be home made or adapted from some other tool (drawknife)? At the very least it has been rehandled. The blade is a full 5/16" thick and was likely to be struck on the backside with a wooden mallet. Maybe some sort of carvers tool?
IMG_4799.JPG
IMG_4800.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

O.C.: A friend in my fishing club has that same heavy-backed knife. He brought it to me and I had no clue on it. ?? I agree it may be some kind of splitter, maybe for a box maker? J.O'.
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Maybe a leather knife for a cobbler, like the one in the link below?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/165563587234?ha ... SwHIZh~-zd

I dunno.
Mike

Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

I'm still installing the new woodworking vise on my workbench. Much more difficult than I had anticipated, but I am getting there. I put a front apron on to serve as the rear face. Then mounted the hardware under the bench top, and accidently drilled a 1.5 " hole in the apron where I should have drilled a 1" hole. ::dang:: Had to drag out the lathe and turn a dowel to glue in the hole, cut it flush, and then re-drill the correct sized hole. I had to use the router to inlet the two guide rod collets. Then I glued 3 boards together to make a front plate and drilled the holes through it. I turned a handle out of a limb from an ash tree that I had laying around the shop. I left the new apron and vise a bit proud of the worktop, then hand-planed everything down level. Tomorrow I will install the handle and apply some finish to the whole thing. I will be glad to be done with this thing, and hopefully will get many years of use out of it.
Attachments
dowel to fix screw up.
dowel to fix screw up.
handle turned from Ash
handle turned from Ash
Vise installed
Vise installed
Ready for finish
Ready for finish
Mike

Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

I bought a couple of new Stanley planes. A No. 4 (e-bay) and a No. 85 Scraper plane (estate sale). I refurbed both of them.

The No. 4 is a smoothing plane. Very common. Mine is a type 19, made 1948 to 1961.

The No. 85 is somewhat rare - Stanley made them 1904 to 1935. Mine is a Sweetheart, made 1923 to 1935. It is unique in that the handles tilt left or right to keep from busting your knuckles.

Also, my workbench is all finished. Flattened the top, added a wood vise, turned a handle from Ash, and took the casters off. It is so much more solid and stable now! Pretty much immovable. I am very happy with it.
Attachments
Tools from estate sale
Tools from estate sale
Stanley no. 85 scraper before
Stanley no. 85 scraper after
Stanley No. 4 before
Stanley No. 4 before
Stanley No. 4 after
Stanley No. 4 after
Workbench
Workbench
Workbench
Workbench
Mike

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Unk wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:46 pm I bought a couple of new Stanley planes. A No. 4 (e-bay) and a No. 85 Scraper plane (estate sale). I refurbed both of them.

The No. 4 is a smoothing plane. Very common. Mine is a type 19, made 1948 to 1961.

The No. 85 is somewhat rare - Stanley made them 1904 to 1935. Mine is a Sweetheart, made 1923 to 1935. It is unique in that the handles tilt left or right to keep from busting your knuckles.

Also, my workbench is all finished. Flattened the top, added a wood vise, turned a handle from Ash, and took the casters off. It is so much more solid and stable now! Pretty much immovable. I am very happy with it.
Great job on the work bench. And Stanley were at the top of the game in their day, my Dad always bought Stanley, especially planes. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: Great gets and refurbs. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::nod::
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Very impressive work on your bench and your vice and your very nice tools, Mike.
That is a great looking workspace. ::tu::
Joe
Louisville.Boy1947

Post by Louisville.Boy1947 »

Great work on the bench...it should serve you well. The 85 scraper is very handy and will save you untold time. The cleanup and rehab on those planes look great! I never understood woodworkers letting their tools get mistreated and abused, but it makes for bargains for those of us collecting and using them.
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Thank you, Gents!

I bought that Stanley No. 85 scraper plane at an estate sale last Thursday for $25. There weren't many tools there, but I bought it, thinking it was a rabbet plane and would be cool to have. When I got home and researched, they go for around $500 on e-bay. :shock:
Mike

Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

My latest haul from an estate sale. The Stanley #20 square and the "Everlasting" chisel both have the "sweetheart" stamp (1920 to 1935). The awl is a Stanley Hurwood #6. The big framing chisel does not have a makers mark that I can find. I plan on turning a new handle for it. A few long drill bits, an extendable hole bit, and a couple of tapered pin reamers. And a Yankee / North Brothers ratcheting tap handle with a drill bit in it. Also 3 flat files, a triangle file, and a square file (I can not walk past an old USA made file - I am starting to get a large pile). The level is a 4' Johnson. There's a joke in there somewhere....... :lol:
Attachments
tools 1.jpg
Mike

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Unk wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:33 am My latest haul from an estate sale. The Stanley #20 square and the "Everlasting" chisel both have the "sweetheart" stamp (1920 to 1935). The awl is a Stanley Hurwood #6. The big framing chisel does not have a makers mark that I can find. I plan on turning a new handle for it. A few long drill bits, an extendable hole bit, and a couple of tapered pin reamers. And a Yankee / North Brothers ratcheting tap handle with a drill bit in it. Also 3 flat files, a triangle file, and a square file (I can not walk past an old USA made file - I am starting to get a large pile). The level is a 4' Johnson. There's a joke in there somewhere....... :lol:
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod::
TPK

Post by TPK »

Nice haul Mike! ::tu:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
catspa

Post by catspa »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:43 pm This tool which seems to be some sort of interior pipe wrench. It fits into a hole .600" in diameter and when turned has an expanding collar which cams out to grip the interior of the object. It was most likely once one of a set for different size interior diameters. Anyone know the exact job this would do?
IMG_4798.JPG
OC, getting here late but it’s a plumber’s stub plug. As you said, it fits into a 1/2” galv pipe and gives you a hex to unthread it with. Just the thing for removing the busted stub of a toilet or sink supply stop when there’s not enough protruding from the wall to grip the exterior surface. Works best if there’s at least an inch before the threads.

You’re right about it being part of a set, my set has 3/4 and 1” also. But I use the 1/2” most often.

Parker
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

catspa wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:00 am
OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:43 pm This tool which seems to be some sort of interior pipe wrench. It fits into a hole .600" in diameter and when turned has an expanding collar which cams out to grip the interior of the object. It was most likely once one of a set for different size interior diameters. Anyone know the exact job this would do?
IMG_4798.JPG
OC, getting here late but it’s a plumber’s stub plug. As you said, it fits into a 1/2” galv pipe and gives you a hex to unthread it with. Just the thing for removing the busted stub of a toilet or sink supply stop when there’s not enough protruding from the wall to grip the exterior surface. Works best if there’s at least an inch before the threads.

You’re right about it being part of a set, my set has 3/4 and 1” also. But I use the 1/2” most often.

Parker
Thanks for the info.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

This old tool might not be cool, but it works fairly well.
It is an old sling blade that my Dad passed down to me. I use it once or twice a year if my ditch bank grows too thick for my weedeater.
EED857F8-BDFB-44AB-AF78-2A11682C2D50.jpeg
I wrapped the handle with electrical tape years ago to keep it from slipping. It started peeling off this year, so...
39D4CFF6-4962-4B58-A31B-385AB7015973.jpeg
3DA606E7-BF80-43A8-9126-A8449414C756.jpeg
A249C5EA-13FE-44B9-AC98-B4C6D69CF313.jpeg
I wrapped it in leather!
I cut strips of leather and glued them down first for the ribs, then glued and sewed the square over that, getting it as tight as I could.
I used it once this year and it now has an awesome grip!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Reverand wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:28 pm This old tool might not be cool, but it works fairly well.
It is an old sling blade that my Dad passed down to me. I use it once or twice a year if my ditch bank grows too thick for my weedeater.
EED857F8-BDFB-44AB-AF78-2A11682C2D50.jpeg
I wrapped the handle with electrical tape years ago to keep it from slipping. It started peeling off this year, so...

39D4CFF6-4962-4B58-A31B-385AB7015973.jpeg3DA606E7-BF80-43A8-9126-A8449414C756.jpegA249C5EA-13FE-44B9-AC98-B4C6D69CF313.jpeg

I wrapped it in leather!
I cut strips of leather and glued them down first for the ribs, then glued and sewed the square over that, getting it as tight as I could.
I used it once this year and it now has an awesome grip!
Love those cool old tools. 8) 8) 8) ::tu::

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”