Pictures of Miscellaneous Stuff & Things

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
americanedgetech

Re: Pictures of Miscellaneous Stuff & Things

Post by americanedgetech »

Should have bought a Dodge! :)

It's a shame that we as full grown, American adults are spoon fed garbage cars/trucks that cost as much as many houses, and we do not expect them to last five years.
By the time the note is paid the junk man is pulling in the driveway... :x
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

My old Chevy has a pound or more of extra screws holding the interior together.
Looking for the magic penny!
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Haha well Ken, it was a screamin' deal for $900. It could have been any truck in the same shape for that price as far as I'm concerned. '93 chevy s10, about 120,000 when I got it (the odometer is broken so no telling now, but I don't put a whole lot on it). The paint is faded because it never had a clear coat, but the body is straight as an arrow. That door handle has been loose for a long time, there was no way to close it without eventually tearing it off. I'll have to rig something up.

I don't know about the junk cars/trucks though, it seems like they run better than ever. They certainly last longer than they used to. My dad recently bought a brand new chevy 2500 duramax diesel, it's an incredible machine in every way. DANG fast too, bone stock. But also costs a whole lot of money, trucks are so dang expensive these days the average working man can't afford a newer one.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

americanedgetech wrote:Should have bought a Dodge! :)

It's a shame that we as full grown, American adults are spoon fed garbage cars/trucks that cost as much as many houses, and we do not expect them to last five years.
By the time the note is paid the junk man is pulling in the driveway... :x
Couldn't disagree more. Expensive, yes. Garbage, no! My wife's 2011 Tahoe has 240,000 miles on it and still as solid as when it was new. Other than tires, batteries, wiper blades, and routine maintenance it's never been in the shop for anything. Everything including all the electronics works great. The interior is still good except for a broken armrest on one of the second row seats (12 year old grandson fell on it and broke it while horse-playing with his brother). ::facepalm::

Quality of American cars was pretty bad in the 1980s. But nowadays they're making them better than ever. They're expensive because of government safety and fuel economy regulations, and all the whiz-bang stuff like navigation and entertainment systems, heated and air conditioned seats, WIFI connectivity and so on that customers are demanding. Strip those options off and, taking inflation into account, you can still get a reasonably priced vehicle (if you can find one without the extras). The older vehicles we tend to equate prices with did not have all that but we complain the new ones "cost as much as a house!" Have you priced a new house lately?! ::woot:: ::dang::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I couldn't agree more Ken, my work truck has been a work truck since 2012, when it was new. Chevy 2500, I did put new tie rods and ball joints in it last week. Other than that. Zero problems.
Attachments
20171122_112656.jpg
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

150,000 miles on my 2007 GMC Envoy. Not a thing wrong with it.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

I put 176983 miles on my Prius in 9 years. It was working just fine with only a few burned out light bulbs and a 12v battery replaced for repairs.

Then it was totaled by a squirrel. :(
americanedgetech

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Boy howdy, did I pick the wrong topic to vent on! ::dang::

I can say that I spend at least 5-6 hours a week fixing all the little things like arm rest/door pulls, power windows that don't work, fans that don't blow, squeals under the hood, and so on for my friends, and customers.

Most of these problems come from Plastic parts that USED to be made from steel. Take a spring steel clip that holds a lock rod in place. In the cars from the early 2000's they cost about 0.01 cent apiece in bulk. 100,000 cars a year using that clip costs $1000.00.
Make that clip out of nylon, and it costs 0.001 each for a savings of 900.00. One clip!
But every owner is paying more for the new model, and the owner is paying to replace plastic parts as they fail.

That is my gripe. A new Ford 450 diesel is 80 grand, and slap FULL of plastic parts. Yep the EPA is MAYBE a part of it but Profit is the main player here. Sure profit is the name of the game but 80 grand for a truck! ::rotflol:: ::rotflol::

My house cost 45k on a quarter acre, couple hundred yards off the Gulf, and dual zoned on the Only road that heads north out of Franklin county.
I can live in my house for the rest of my life, and give it to my kid when i'm done.
I couldn't live in that truck, and it SURE won't be worth a nickel in 20 years. That is my gripe!

The system that we have built makes it almost mandatory that you have a vehicle yet a vehicle is one of the Worst investments that you can make. It loses value from the second you sign the line to the day it is sold. ::td::

IMHO it's a raw deal from the start so I ride motorcycles, and motorcycles only. I don't even own a car nor have I for 30+ years. ::nod::
In fact the bike I ride today cost less than a set of tires for a pickup truck (1970 Triumph hard-tail)
Ken Mc.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Ken, if you can only remember one thing, ALWAYS remember this. No matter what it is, it's ALWAYS about the money.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Ken, That is a tremendous commitment to your chosen form of transport. No doubt long ago you made whatever adaptations were needed for your travels in varied climates: heat, rain, cold etc. Your monetary savings have been enormous. Frankly, I could never have made your decision chiefly because I enjoy creature comforts too much. Traveling without heat and air-conditioning, without the protection from wind and rain, well, I am always grateful for having missed the 19th century. Greatest respect for you having chosen and maintained your way.
americanedgetech

Thanks QS, and Jerry.
Money is the deal but it should not be the driving force that most see it as, It's paper.

Riding instead of driving is a lot better than most would believe.
There is a saying that goes... "If it doesn't fit in your pockets, you don't need it."
When I go to the store I get what I can fit in the bags or strap to the bars. If it's raining I cover my face with a bandanna. Cold? Florida guys! It's never too cold. Hot? No lid law in Florida so it's a blessing to ride when it's 110*, and 100% humidity.

Like you said QS. The money saved is enormous! I buy 5-10 gallons of gas a week. Car tire in the rear that lasts about four years, ect, ect, ect.
I couldn't afford my dogs or anything else if I was a driver. Why is that? Because money does not motivate me. Never did.
Happiness for everything/everyone around me, and personal freedom motivate me.(it does $uck to be poor tho) but I won't change a thing. 8)
Ken Mc.

KnifeSlinger#81

jerryd6818 wrote:Ken, if you can only remember one thing, ALWAYS remember this. No matter what it is, it's ALWAYS about the money.
Ain't that the truth.

Ken that is true dedication, well done. Im more comfortable on two wheels than anything else, been riding bikes for many years as well. However I like to stay on the dirt :D
-Paul T.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re:

Post by jerryd6818 »

maitrang7995 wrote:Lưu lại tí về tìm hiểu mới được
Literally translated means; "Keep track of the new learn" ::shrug:: Must be one of those Vietnamese down home sayings.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

My 99 Chevy truck was what we could get when I needed a vehicle.
It runs well. The transmission works.
The power windows all work. The electric door locks work on the drivers door and passenger back door. There is a harmonic hum/rattle and one of the tires ain't balanced perfect.
The dashboard is cracked all to pieces. A stainless screw holds the passenger side door handle in place. It does what I need it to do.

Good on ya Ken. In my younger days I lived on bikes. But I'm poor in a way.
And the truck was a god send after my Dodge blew up.
Looking for the magic penny!
americanedgetech

Re: Re:

jerryd6818 wrote:
maitrang7995 wrote:Lưu lại tí về tìm hiểu mới được
Literally translated means; "Keep track of the new learn" ::shrug:: Must be one of those Vietnamese down home sayings.
Người phương Tây sẽ không học. Những chiếc xe lớn đốt đô la là cuộc sống ở đây.
(Western people will not learn. Big cars burning dollars is life here.)

Two wheels is the method of transportation for the majority of people on earth. Even more so in Eastern countries.
I believe what Maitrang is saying is "Listen, and learn!"

I've posted on Kymco Forum for around 10 years, and on BritBike forum for around 3-4.
I got my first dirt bike when I was 9. was racing 500cc supercross when I was 15-16, and bought my last car when I was 26. That was the day my daughter was born so I need a car for a couple years. When she turned 2 I sold the car, and my kiddo rode everywhere with me right up until the day she moved out to her own home.
She still rides, her 2 kids ride, and began when they were 7, and 8.
I guess you can say it is sort of 19th century except there is no shoveling or vet bills. To us... it's a better, easier, and more enjoyable way of living.

Most of the world is on scooters, bicycles, or "Under-Bone-s" which are a hybrid of a scooter, and a motorcycle. The people that are better off financially will ride motorcycles but not as often as scooters or under-bones.

It is just something that America in general has lost touch with, and I do believe it is a status type issue more that a comfort issue or at least to say that Americans will drive to, and from the mailbox at the end of the driveway while people in Vietnam will ride a scooter 100km each way to go to work. It rains like Noah's coming there.

I do believe I would have been perfectly fine if I was born 100 years earlier. Today I shake my head at what I see all around me.
Lawyers making 250.00 an hour but can't put air in a tire. Doctors giving samples because they are paid by the pharmaceutical companies to prescribe what they sell, elected politicians handing contracts to friends, and family rather than open bids...
Nope! Bikes are for me, and mine. Keep the cars.
Ken Mc.

KnifeSlinger#81

My cousin sent me a picture of something he saw in a store today, call me foolish but I had a good long laugh about how silly it is that this thing exists.

IMG_3539.JPG
-Paul T.

americanedgetech

::rotflol:: ::stir::

I pray that is not one of those items that attempts to force the line clear with pressure.
Attachments
Confession-Bear-Grylls.jpg
Ken Mc.

tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Looks like a pump s**tgun.
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

................. ::rotflol::..................
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I was hoping you could pump it up, pull the trigger and put some real pressure on the blockage. Sadly it doesn't appear that is the case. :(
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Paul,the place I stopped after lunch needed one of those after I got done. :shock:
Roger
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

peanut740 wrote:Paul,the place I stopped after lunch needed one of those after I got done. :shock:

::uc:: ::facepalm:: :lol:
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

DSC01814.JPG
DSC01815.JPG
DSC01827.JPG
I have no clue what these are called??!! ::shrug:: ::facepalm:: :lol: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I'm going with Tiger Lily for the top three. Grows wild in the ditches down home (So. Illinois).
And for the last one I'm going to guess Ramariopsis kunzei, a variety of Coral Fungi. Could be wrong on this one.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
KnifeSlinger#81

jmh58 wrote:
peanut740 wrote:Paul,the place I stopped after lunch needed one of those after I got done. :shock:

::uc:: ::facepalm:: :lol:
:lol: :lol:
-Paul T.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”