Pictures of Miscellaneous Stuff & Things

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Pictures of Miscellaneous Stuff & Things

Post by Quick Steel »

I notice that this episode has changed my attitude about entering my office. Never had any kind of attitude before; now I am alert and vigilant. I just can't find an entry point the snake would have used.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Hard say from pictures but looks like a rat snake to me. Whether kingsnake of rat snake both are beneficial, kill rats and mice, insects and even poisonous snakes (copperheads).

Both harmless to humans. I understand not wanting one in your office or house but as Jerry says, try to just catch and relocate them if possible. A rat snake and I peacefully co-existed in my shop for several months a few years ago.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Quick Steel wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:59 pm I notice that this episode has changed my attitude about entering my office. Never had any kind of attitude before; now I am alert and vigilant. I just can't find an entry point the snake would have used.
How far from a water heater is your office?

Snakes will follow the scent of mice that creep in through the water heater drain pan pipe. 99% of those drain pipes run straight outside and are open to the world. The mice will crawl in, usually looking for food or water. The snake follows the mouse's scent right in through the pipe. A pretty large snake can get through the typical 3/4" or sometimes oversized 1" drain pipe.

I have a perpetual mouse problem living out in the country surrounded by grain fields. I've been fighting mice and trying to figure out how they get in since dirt was clean. I've plugged every pencil sized hold i can find and I still get a mouse in the house every now and then.

About 12 years ago, shortly after we added on a small office/utility room/bathroom, I went to put some towels up in the closet where the water heater is located. I looked down and saw a rat snake coiled around the water heater in the drain pan. Its tail was still sticking 5 or 6 inches down the pan drain.

I removed the snake and then I cut some 2" x 2" pieces of aluminum screen wire. I shoved a piece up the drain pan line of the 3 water heaters we have for the house, thereby blocking entry by snake or mouse.

I still haven't eliminated the mouse entries 100% but I haven't had a snake in the house since.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

More do it yourself auto body work. "Clear packaging tape is just as good as any body shop"!!
20210611_105222.jpg
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Although I do not expect a repeat snake visit, should one occur I now have the proper tool to deal with it, a snake catching pole. It is professed to handle everything from garden snakes to pythons. However, should a python intrude I expect I will abandon the great state of Kentucky.

P1040274.JPG
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Quick Steel wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:37 pm should a python intrude I expect I will abandon the great state of Kentucky.
Or,........ maybe a Colt Python as a great equalizer.
Joe
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Indeed. Regrettably my sister has some strange objection to my using firearms in the house. Not even my preferred shotgun. Odd.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Quick Steel wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:37 pm Although I do not expect a repeat snake visit, should one occur I now have the proper tool to deal with it, a snake catching pole. It is professed to handle everything from garden snakes to pythons. However, should a python intrude I expect I will abandon the great state of Kentucky.

P1040274.JPG
My folks keep saying they want to move to Florida. I don't mind, but in my list of cons; pythons are "exhibit A"; alligators "exhibit b". Despite the colder weather, I kinda prefer Montana, Wyoming, or Idaho.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

My objections to Florida are the same as yours Cody. Actually, the climate in KY is quite mild; that is based on six years of experience. Snowfalls are infrequent and light. There are periods during the summer of heat and humidity but these are intermittent with milder periods in between.

People who move to Phoenix are ....., well I'll just say not many people can deal with 115 degree heat. It is innervating even with low humidity.

So far, some parts of KY may encounter a tornado but they are not common.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Cool find in the office, QS! A couple of years ago I was napping in my recliner in the living room. When I opened my eyes there was a three foot more or less Black Racer crawling across the floor by my chair. I did leap into action and grab that thing before it could get into hiding. On the porch would have been okay, but not in the house. My wife hates snakes.

The thing about snakes is that the more a person hates snakes, the more likely they are to encounter one. I love snakes, and reptiles generally, so I welcome any spotting, including venomous snakes. And I seldom see a snake, even though I live in one of the most snake infested parts of the country. Here is a little Garter snake from my back yard.
Garter Snake
Garter Snake
And a small Eastern Diamondback from nearby woods.
Attachments
Rattler
Rattler
Mel
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Mel, I do wish I had your fondness for snakes. I can recognize their beauty but that is not enough for me to overcome my dislike.

About a week ago, for the first time, I found a shed snake skin on the front porch. I suspect this belonged to my recent visitor.

Of the states you mentioned, I favor Idaho.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

adult eastern brown snake credit Stewart Macdonald.jpeg
If you like snakes, you are welcome to one of these. ::paranoid:: ::uc::
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Or take one of these boys out for coffee some time mate... ::woot::
Attachments
Black Mamba...
Black Mamba...
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

You guys are CRAZY if your the ones taking those pictures! I'm such a coward when it comes to snakes I would pee my pants to walk up on any of those. :shock:
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

WillyCamaro wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:12 pm Or take one of these boys out for coffee some time mate... ::woot::
::paranoid:: ::paranoid:: ::paranoid:: No No No.!!!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Montana is my favorite.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Heeeeey David,
My buddy here wants to come over and shake hands.

:mrgreen:
Attachments
King Cobra.
King Cobra.
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Mum say's i can't come out and play, i have to clean my room. :lol: :lol: :lol:
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

WillyCamaro wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:54 pm Heeeeey David,
My buddy here wants to come over and shake hands.

:mrgreen:
Excuse me while I go see what's happening IN THE NEXT STATE! :shock:
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

:mrgreen: ...

:lol: ::tu::
Winston Churchill

Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

While I’m not a great lover of snakes, I do appreciate a good black snake, cow sucker, or chicken snake, whatever you want to call them. The old men around here when I was a kid all had a black snake or two in the corn crib to control mice and rats. And woe be until you if you ever hurt their snake.

We have a black snake who lives in our barn (the boys named him Slimy George), and our mouse population down there have gone down considerable since his arrival. We found his old skin in the hay loft this spring. He’s about 6’ long now.
5F183790-D6CD-4E22-98B5-90BD4DB9B54E.jpeg
My oldest boy saw this one crawling under the shop porch a few days ago. I’m glad he showed up. I get mice in there every winter. I hope he hangs around.
894A06D4-853C-4C47-A958-CB8C25BD7065.jpeg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Colonel26 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:01 pm While I’m not a great lover of snakes, I do appreciate a good black snake, cow sucker, or chicken snake, whatever you want to call them. The old men around here when I was a kid all had a black snake or two in the corn crib to control mice and rats. And woe be until you if you ever hurt their snake.

We have a black snake who lives in our barn (the boys named him Slimy George), and our mouse population down there have gone down considerable since his arrival. We found his old skin in the hay loft this spring. He’s about 6’ long now.

5F183790-D6CD-4E22-98B5-90BD4DB9B54E.jpeg

My oldest boy saw this one crawling under the shop porch a few days ago. I’m glad he showed up. I get mice in there every winter. I hope he hangs around.

894A06D4-853C-4C47-A958-CB8C25BD7065.jpeg
::woot:: Now that's a skin. 8) ::tu::
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Colonel26 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:01 pm While I’m not a great lover of snakes, I do appreciate a good black snake, cow sucker, or chicken snake, whatever you want to call them.
Colonel - When you say cow sucker, are you talking about a Milk Snake? I have never seen one of those, though I think I am in their range. I have to love the old tales that credit Milk Snakes with sucking the milk out of cows, though if you ever tried milking a cow it is a bit hard to figure just how the snakes did it. Same with the Goatsucker birds. Back in the old days, things like a cow or goat drying up did not just happen - there had to be a reason!

Talking about beneficial rodent eating snakes, here is a very fine Corn Snake that I photographed crossing a road. The first time I ever saw one of those was in our corn crib when I was a kid. Beautiful creatures.
Attachments
Corn Snake
Corn Snake
Mel
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Dinadan wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:21 pm
Colonel26 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:01 pm While I’m not a great lover of snakes, I do appreciate a good black snake, cow sucker, or chicken snake, whatever you want to call them.
Colonel - When you say cow sucker, are you talking about a Milk Snake? I have never seen one of those, though I think I am in their range. I have to love the old tales that credit Milk Snakes with sucking the milk out of cows, though if you ever tried milking a cow it is a bit hard to figure just how the snakes did it. Same with the Goatsucker birds. Back in the old days, things like a cow or goat drying up did not just happen - there had to be a reason!

Talking about beneficial rodent eating snakes, here is a very fine Corn Snake that I photographed crossing a road. The first time I ever saw one of those was in our corn crib when I was a kid. Beautiful creatures.
Beautiful creature indeed mate.
::tu::
Winston Churchill

Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Dinadan wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:21 pm

I’m not sure what a milk snake is, I’ll have to look that up. Those are all names for the nonvenomous snake in this area. They go by many names depending on the community you find them in: cow snake, cow sucker, chicken snake, pilot snake, mountain black snake, gray rat snake, Allegheny black snake, scaly black snake, rusty black snake, tree black snake and pilot black snake.

Here are a couple of pictures I found from the internet of what we call chicken snakes and black snakes. The bottom one is what’s living in my barn.
EE5B05BD-AD42-4775-8556-40B5CDDEBEE6.jpeg
91917B52-C437-4DEB-B7FE-D24B40231C94.jpeg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”