Pictures of Miscellaneous Stuff & Things

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Pictures of Miscellaneous Stuff & Things

Post by philco »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:53 pm The wife and I took a trip out to Rapid City last weekend to see family. We made the obligatory stop at Wall Drug for the 5 cent coffee.
How many of you AAPKers have "Dug Wall Drug"?

20210514_125322.jpg
Been there, done that c. 1994.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

jmh58 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:09 pm
Colonel26 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:27 pm Speaking of tools and transportation, I was down at the local John Deere dealer today. Came home with a z950m.

978F37F2-512D-46F8-993B-5AFCAC415A0C.jpeg

They even threw in two “free” hats.

CDE278A2-A3D1-48B1-8144-7CB9739255B1.jpeg
Kool Wade!! 👍🚜🛺
John ✌️
Thanks John! I’m worse than a kid with a new toy!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

philco wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:19 am
OLDE CUTLER wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:53 pm The wife and I took a trip out to Rapid City last weekend to see family. We made the obligatory stop at Wall Drug for the 5 cent coffee.

20210514_125322.jpg
Been there, done that c. 1994.
Yep. Back in the '90s.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

20210514_125322.jpg
Been there done that 2010. Also visited the corn palace on the same trip.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

bighomer wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:14 pm

20210514_125322.jpg
Been there done that 2010. Also visited the corn palace on the same trip.
Saw the sign for the Corn Palace. :lol:
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

My youngest son Matthew finally got his Farmall tractor running at top speed.

https://youtu.be/dMKpydAbgsg
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

20210514_125322.jpg
Dug Wall Drug in 06 I believe was the year .
It’s a neat place ,we may stop again this year if we go to meet friends in Rapid City this Summer .
Cool pic , brought back some memories. Do you know how long it’s been around ?
JP
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Colonel26 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:27 pm Speaking of tools and transportation, I was down at the local John Deere dealer today. Came home with a z950m.

Nice ride Wade. If that’s your first zero turn, you’re gonna be kicking yourself for not getting one sooner. Good that you got it from the JD dealer and not from a big box store. Both are green but they’re not the same machines.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Ripster wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:05 am

20210514_125322.jpg
Dug Wall Drug in 06 I believe was the year .
It’s a neat place ,we may stop again this year if we go to meet friends in Rapid City this Summer .
Cool pic , brought back some memories. Do you know how long it’s been around ?
On their sign in the picture it says "Since 1931".
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

dlr110 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:24 am My youngest son Matthew finally got his Farmall tractor running at top speed.

Looks like he’s done a great job with it. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:41 am

Nice ride Wade. If that’s your first zero turn, you’re gonna be kicking yourself for not getting one sooner. Good that you got it from the JD dealer and not from a big box store. Both are green but they’re not the same machines.

Ken
This is my third zero turn. The first two were well used when I got them. This is my first brand new one.

When it comes to mowers there’s two things I’m pretty adamant about. First is always buy from a dealer. Even if you get a mower at the big box store the dealer will be who you go to for warranty work any way. Plus if you have a relationship with the dealer they’ll take care of you. And from my experience it’s cheaper to buy from the dealer.

I built them out on John Deere’s website and knew what msrp was for the mower I wanted. I went in and they didn’t have the one I was looking for, but they had the next size up for $2k less than the one I was looking at!

Second, I always buy the commercial grade mower, not the homeowner grade sold at the big box stores. They’re more expensive up front, but will hold up better with fewer repairs over the life of the mower in my experience. Plus when you get ready to sell it in a few years it’ll still have some value. Also, since it’s a commercial mower from a dealer, if it’s down for repairs, they give me a loaner. Lowe’s wouldn’t do that on a residential mower!

If any of y’all are in the market for a mower, and you find one you like, you’d better jump. The John Deere dealer told me that if y0u order one today it’ll be a 6 month minimum before you get it. They’re that far behind.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

dlr110 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:24 am My youngest son Matthew finally got his Farmall tractor running at top speed.

That's a nice old tractor, David. What year is it?
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Unk wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:55 pm

October 1951

Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

dlr110 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:40 pm
Unk wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:55 pm

October 1951
That old Farmall is sounding real good!
Robert E. Lee
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Colonel26 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:02 am

Ken
This is my third zero turn. The first two were well used when I got them. This is my first brand new one.

When it comes to mowers there’s two things I’m pretty adamant about. First is always buy from a dealer. Even if you get a mower at the big box store the dealer will be who you go to for warranty work any way. Plus if you have a relationship with the dealer they’ll take care of you. And from my experience it’s cheaper to buy from the dealer.

I built them out on John Deere’s website and knew what msrp was for the mower I wanted. I went in and they didn’t have the one I was looking for, but they had the next size up for $2k less than the one I was looking at!

Second, I always buy the commercial grade mower, not the homeowner grade sold at the big box stores. They’re more expensive up front, but will hold up better with fewer repairs over the life of the mower in my experience. Plus when you get ready to sell it in a few years it’ll still have some value. Also, since it’s a commercial mower from a dealer, if it’s down for repairs, they give me a loaner. Lowe’s wouldn’t do that on a residential mower!

If any of y’all are in the market for a mower, and you find one you like, you’d better jump. The John Deere dealer told me that if y0u order one today it’ll be a 6 month minimum before you get it. They’re that far behind.
I totally agree with everything you said. I always buy the commercial grade mowers too, for the same reasons you stated. Even the low end commercial grade equipment is better built than the retail grade, and cost little if any more. One of the biggest differences in mowers is the mower deck. The commercial grade decks are thick, welded construction (like I see on the pictures of yours, typically with a lifetime warranty. The retail grade decks are thin, one piece stamped metal. The blade spindles are heavier duty. Just some typical dufferences that most people don’t even think about.

I buy all my equipment, including things like Stihl edgers, chain saws, weeders, from the local JD dealership or the local New Holland dealership. I know everyone there in both sales and service departments. They know me and take good care of me, can’t tell you how many times they’ve either fixed something free, told me how to fix it, or given me parts at no charge. Customer service is the hallmark of a good dealership, and something you won’t likely find at the big box stores.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:46 pm
Colonel26 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:02 am

Ken

I totally agree with everything you said. I always buy the commercial grade mowers too, for the same reasons you stated. Even the low end commercial grade equipment is better built than the retail grade, and cost little if any more. One of the biggest differences in mowers is the mower deck. The commercial grade decks are thick, welded construction (like I see on the pictures of yours, typically with a lifetime warranty. The retail grade decks are thin, one piece stamped metal. The blade spindles are heavier duty. Just some typical dufferences that most people don’t even think about.

I buy all my equipment, including things like Stihl edgers, chain saws, weeders, from the local JD dealership or the local New Holland dealership. I know everyone there in both sales and service departments. They know me and take good care of me, can’t tell you how many times they’ve either fixed something free, told me how to fix it, or given me parts at no charge. Customer service is the hallmark of a good dealership, and something you won’t likely find at the big box stores.

Ken
Absolutely right on all accounts. The better spindles are a big deal imo. The ones one mine, and the front forks, actually have alemites instead of the sealed bearings. I don’t know in actual performance how much a difference it makes, but I just hate a bearing you can’t grease.
Robert E. Lee
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

My brother and I took a trip to Philly yesterday to visit the USS Olympia, Commodore Dewey's flagship at the Battle of Manila during the Spanish American war. Classed as a protected cruiser. We were both disappointed that the engineering spaces were not open, both of us being snipes in the USN, but was worthwhile anyway. Only museum ship of this vintage, built in 1893, afloat in the US. Tour took about two hours. Would recommend taking a look if anyone finds themselves in Philly with some spare time. Open weekends only at this time.
Attachments
view from museum promenade.JPG
Stern view of Olympia, one pounder guns shown.JPG
ship's bell.JPG
steve99f
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

A few more shots of the interior.
Attachments
5 inch 40 cal casemate mounted.JPG
crew berthing, lap of luxury.JPG
firemen are the coal stokers, water tenders, machinists mates.JPG
officers wardroom.JPG
steve99f
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

steve99f wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:35 pm A few more shots of the interior.
Very nice, but what is that four masted ship next to the Olympia?

steve99f

Post by steve99f »

David,

That is the Moshulu, a restaurant when its open. I'm not sure of its status these days.
steve99f
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Wait - you went to Philadelphia on purpose? ::poke::

JK, I don’t like big cities. ::facepalm:: (unless it’s New Orleans, San Antonio, or Boston).

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Steve, that is awesome! I had no idea the Olympia was still afloat.

“You may fire when ready Gridley” - Admiral Dewey at Manilla Bay.
Robert E. Lee
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:39 pm Wait - you went to Philadelphia on purpose? ::poke::

JK, I don’t like big cities. ::facepalm:: (unless it’s New Orleans, San Antonio, or Boston).

Ken
Ken,

There are a couple of reasons to go but only during daylight and on weekends. The Olympia is one reason. Your caution is noted as Philly seems to be on a tear to see how many funerals can be arranged through sudden impacts of small projectiles. Some lives matter, but not much it seems.
steve99f
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Colonel26 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:44 pm Steve, that is awesome! I had no idea the Olympia was still afloat.

“You may fire when ready Gridley” - Admiral Dewey at Manilla Bay.
Colonel,

According to one of the docents on board, she rests in the mud for some periods of tide. She needs help as it hasn't seen a drydock in many decades. The volunteers do what they can to keep it decent to see. I contribute what I can to it, its a worthwhile cause. In my opinion, it has more historical value than the USS New Jersey, BB 62 or any of the Iowa's except USS Missouri.

The USS New Jersey, BB 62, is across the river from Olympia. Also worthwhile seeing an Iowa class battleship. It get some state support. Ken, if you think Philly is bad, well, Camden does try.
steve99f
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

A freighter coming into the Michigan SOO Locks heading into Lake Superior. The other side is Canada. And a waterfall we happened across, west of Rogers City, Mich.
Attachments
20210518_163736.jpg
20210518_165350_HDR.jpg
20210519_151948_HDR.jpg

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”