SHOW US YOUR PETS!!!

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: SHOW US YOUR PETS!!!

Postby orvet » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:16 am

That's a good lookin' dog Ken! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

orvet@comcast.net
Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain

jmh58
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby jmh58 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:26 pm

Mumbleypeg wrote:We don't need no stinking birds! :lol:

image.jpeg

Couldn't resist posting this picture of my lab Mazie's grandfather. You shoot it, he'll get it!

Ken

Kool!! One of the beagles we run will retrieve also.. Makes it a little easier!! John :D
..a great rabbit chase ends with a BANG!!

Son.. You need to get off the front porch once in a while!!

Not all who wander are lost!!!

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Mumbleypeg » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:45 am

New family member! This is Mandie. ::super_happy::
image.jpeg

Picked her up from the breeder/trainer Tuesday. She's a started gun dog, already trained but she's spent all her life to date living at the kennel where she was born. So she's adjusting to living with us. Everything's a new experience (don't think she'd ever been inside a home before) so it's been fun watching her get settled in at our place. Had a couple of good sessions working with her since getting home.

As you'd expect from a lab, she's nuts about water - tried to get in the bucket! :lol:

Ken
Attachments
image.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- Greorge Orwell
https://www.akti.org/

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Quick Steel » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:44 pm

Congratulations. She is a looker. And even in a photo you can see the energy and intelligence in her face and eyes. May you both enjoy long years afield.
Looking for clean EOs from very good to excellent to minty to new.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Mumbleypeg » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:54 pm

Thanks. Real pleased with her so far, and my other young dog. At my age, probably the last dogs I'll ever need. My oldest grandson will soon be 12 years old, so time to get him started working with the dogs!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

- Greorge Orwell

FRJ
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby FRJ » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:32 pm

Great looking HAPPY dogs. ::tu::
Joe

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Mumbleypeg » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:48 am

Mazie has found a new friend. Or at least she thinks so. The friend wasn't too interested. :lol:

Ken
Attachments
IMG_20150606_100412.jpg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

- Greorge Orwell

jmh58
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby jmh58 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:09 pm

DSC02205.JPG
DSC03928.JPG

Brother and sister.. John :D

zp4ja
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby zp4ja » Thu May 04, 2017 4:01 pm

Some good looking critters and interesting pics Gents.

Nikki had a surgery again to remove some massive but benign fatty tumors yesterday. Had this done previous about 18 months ago. We leave them alone until they cause pain, discomfort or impact to her mobility. These were causing the latter of those. She had a sub muscle tumor on front passenger side that was huge when he dug it out. Also one in her haunch web where the torso meets the back leg, about the size of a softball.

Poor old girl is beat up from the feet up today. Some pretty huge incisions and these are just 2 of the 4 incisions. Need her ready for what may be her last bird season. This dog lives for the sound of a shotgun.

Thankfully, my Vet does his profession for the love of animals, not to make his car payment.

Jerry
Attachments
Beat Up old dog.jpg
Front Passenger Side.jpg
Mid Drivers Side closeup.jpg
Front Passenger Side closeup.jpg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.

KnifeSlinger#81

Postby KnifeSlinger#81 » Thu May 04, 2017 4:40 pm

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Bull Terriers are a breed apart.

I remember a story in our American Lit book in school about a family and their Bull Terrier. He did all kinds of crazy things, including dragging home a full sized man hole cover.

Charlie

That's incredible. Manhole covers are very heavy, enough to take your fingers off if you let it fall shut. I wonder how the dog managed that. The lid must have already been off, no way the dog would have been able to get it otherwise.
-Paul Thomas

Always looking to trade for old cattle & stockman knives, especially schrades.

jmh58
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby jmh58 » Thu May 04, 2017 4:49 pm

Our thoughts and prayers for a full, total recovery for Nikki!! ::tu:: Her and Dad gotta hunt!!! John :D

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Quick Steel » Thu May 04, 2017 6:03 pm

Jerry: So many dogs develop tumors both benign and otherwise. Has your vet ever mentioned what causes this "epidemic?"

zp4ja
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby zp4ja » Thu May 04, 2017 6:15 pm

Thanks John.

Yea, Garry, my lumpy lab is not unique. Not sure exactly why but labs are pretty susceptible to them but some get them and some don't. Kind of all or nothing so to speak. Sure as heck aint the $55 for 30 pounds of food I feed. Started when she was about 7 yrs old. She is ten now.

Here is what Google has to say...

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/ski ... ?page=show.

The one on the front shoulder was impeding her movement pretty good. First one of about 12 (two surgeries) he pulled out that was under the muscle. The one they removed from her side look like she had a golf ball under her skin.

She is doing much better today, actually moving and wagging quite a bit.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Quick Steel » Thu May 04, 2017 7:31 pm

Thanks for the google reference. It does a fine job of explaining diagnosis and treatments. Unfortunately (and typically) it does not discuss, even theoretically, causes. Yes, some breeds like Labs, appear more susceptible, but malignant tumors occur with virtually every breed and in great numbers. Speculation includes things such as sniffing the ground so much they pick up the residue of chemical pesticides and fertilizers. Or, it is a reaction to food allergies. Many brands have eliminated grains from their products because reactions are so common. These are all guesses as far as I know.

I am just glad that your girl is not dealing with malignancy and definitely hope you will both be able to enjoy another shooting season. Best wishes for your great friend.

zp4ja
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby zp4ja » Thu May 04, 2017 8:35 pm

Thanks for the well wishes Garry my friend. She is a real sweetheart. Actually, we always had family dogs but this is the first dog that was "My dog" I got at 42 years old. Just never thought it was fair to have a big dog (not a small dog guy personally, that is the wife's department) without a big yard so I waited that long to have one as my own. Others mileage may vary.
Hard to watch getting older and slower but she still has some good years left in her. We are gonna make the best of them.
Regards, Jerry

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”