SHOW US YOUR PETS!!!

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: SHOW US YOUR PETS!!!

Post by Old Folder »

Thanks QS ::tu::
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

I'll use the term "pet" loosely, here...but 2 weeks ago, today...I was watering the lawn, with a hand-held hose, when this little guy, literally ran up to me. He was so thirsty, he drank water out of my hand. We've sort of adopted him and with the aid of Google...determined he was probably about 5 weeks old, just after opening his eyes. The first week, he was your typical infant. We fed him puppy replacement milk / formula, from a syringe, every 2-3 hours, then he would curl up in a ball, under an old t-shirt and sleep. The last week, he has progressed from an infant, to a full-blown teenager. We raised him in the "cage"; but, now he freely enters and exits the cage with ease; we just leave the door open. He's become quite the explorer and (for now) returns to his cage, or one of our patio chairs, to spend the night.
zippy nursing.png
He's still getting some formula...but quickly switching to the sunflower seeds, from our bird feed. He's been a lot of fun to watch.
IMG_1598.jpg
A video link, if you care to see him in action...
https://youtu.be/yFJgZG5faYQ
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Great story and video Doc ::tu::. Thanks for sharing.
Perhaps your last name is: "Dolittle?"
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

Our newest addition turn 6 months old , she’s a shetland sheep dog name “Dixie”
Attachments
E345C8EC-0C6A-4FA7-AAEA-75D244D6CF1F.jpeg
Larry W

Happiness is looking for XX Case Red Stag Knives
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

A very very pretty girl.
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Larry, that's a fine looking pup.

And Doc, that's a handsome squirrel, too. :lol: :lol:
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Doc B wrote:I'll use the term "pet" loosely, here...but 2 weeks ago, today...I was watering the lawn, with a hand-held hose, when this little guy, literally ran up to me. He was so thirsty, he drank water out of my hand. We've sort of adopted him and with the aid of Google...determined he was probably about 5 weeks old, just after opening his eyes. The first week, he was your typical infant. We fed him puppy replacement milk / formula, from a syringe, every 2-3 hours, then he would curl up in a ball, under an old t-shirt and sleep. The last week, he has progressed from an infant, to a full-blown teenager. We raised him in the "cage"; but, now he freely enters and exits the cage with ease; we just leave the door open. He's become quite the explorer and (for now) returns to his cage, or one of our patio chairs, to spend the night.
zippy nursing.png

He's still getting some formula...but quickly switching to the sunflower seeds, from our bird feed. He's been a lot of fun to watch.

IMG_1598.jpg

Update on the squirrel??
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Perhaps you can video his first encounter with a tree and his first climb.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

jlw257 wrote:Our newest addition turn 6 months old , she’s a shetland sheep dog name “Dixie”
Beautiful pet. One thing about working dogs is they are normally very intelligent, and supremely loyal, looks like you have a good one there. ::tu::
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

Thanks everyone, the Sheltie love to keep the outside cats in shape.
Attachments
08A5B53A-F8D5-4D69-9610-9825500EB037.jpeg
Larry W

Happiness is looking for XX Case Red Stag Knives
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

edge213 wrote:
Doc B wrote:I'll use the term "pet" loosely, here...but 2 weeks ago, today...I was watering the lawn, with a hand-held hose, when this little guy, literally ran up to me. He was so thirsty, he drank water out of my hand. We've sort of adopted him and with the aid of Google...determined he was probably about 5 weeks old, just after opening his eyes. The first week, he was your typical infant. We fed him puppy replacement milk / formula, from a syringe, every 2-3 hours, then he would curl up in a ball, under an old t-shirt and sleep. The last week, he has progressed from an infant, to a full-blown teenager. We raised him in the "cage"; but, now he freely enters and exits the cage with ease; we just leave the door open. He's become quite the explorer and (for now) returns to his cage, or one of our patio chairs, to spend the night.
zippy nursing.png

IMG_1598.jpg

Update on the squirrel??
Zippy update...
A day or two after the last video...Zippy found the trees. I did happen to get a video of him, on his first foray in to them. He spent all afternoon, near this spot. He loved chewing on the bark and eating leaves. I was worried about him getting, dehydrated and was able to grab him and get him back for some fluids. He never would "come" to calling him...but he didn't mind you holding and petting him. The third day...he took to the trees...well, like a squirrel. I might have spotted him once or twice, since then. The thought crossed my mind, that the smaller squirrel I spotted, could be a sibling. I had thought about...and wish I had painted a few dye marks on him, to help identify him. He was pretty neat. Video link is in the reply to QS.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Quick Steel wrote:Perhaps you can video his first encounter with a tree and his first climb.
I did happen to get a video. He hung around those leaves and chewed (ate?) them, all afternoon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH9TOYR_Q1U
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Well Doc you've had a memorable encounter with Zippy. Perhaps one day he'll show up for a visit. In any event you have the satisfaction of knowing you gave this small creature a life.
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

You guys are making me feel guilty about going squirrel hunting!
Ike
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Waukonda wrote:You guys are making me feel guilty about going squirrel hunting!
I can separate neighborhood critters...from the "hunting" ones. I've got a broken-leg buck, that comes up to the house. I give him a couple cups of protein feed, every day. I do like me some fried squirrel and venison ::nod::.
I used to hunt squirrel all the time, when I was stationed near the National forests, in Louisiana. I don't have any squirrels; here, in Texas, down at my hunting property.
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

9 1/2 years old and still going strong, slowing down ever so slightly
Attachments
20190929_114419.jpg
Ike
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

, whoa, I just went back and I had missed a couple of post. I like that Sheltie, Larry, and that picture of her nearly Airborne is a classic. So, if there are no sheep to be herded then cats are next on the list, huh?
Ike
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Good looking dog Ike. Sunny day, water, a big big stick. That has to be one contented pooch.

[As for the eggs: "What we have here...is failure..to communicate.]
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Great picture, Ike! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

We had a commotion at our house the other night. The armed guards (2 house cats) detected an intruder trying to get in and raised the alarm. They were meowing and looking out the sliding patio door into the darkness at something, so I turned on the outside light and look who was there. The 2 cats looking out from inside the house, and the possum looking in at them from outside. Kind of a double zoo scenario. Kind of a fuzzy picture taken quickly thru the glass with the phone.
20191105_180529.jpg
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Great picture Ike. Nothing makes a Lab happier than water and something to fetch. Unless it's food! :lol:

OC it amazes me how well animals can detect what's happening outside the house (or inside the house when they are out). When she's in the house our Lab, Mazie, always "tells" us when there's a coyote nearby. She growls and runs to the door wanting out. Otherwise she never growls. But several months ago when she did that, it wasn't a coyote - it was a mountain lion! ::woot::

The cat probably weighed at least 100 pounds and was inside the chicken run. I grabbed a rifle and went out the door. The dog went out with me, barking, growling and charging toward the cat. The cat with great ease leapt over and out of the fence and disappeared into the brush so quickly I couldn't get a shot.

After all settled down and Mazie returned, I asked her "what were you going to do if you caught it!?" :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

In 1992, I'd received orders to Guam. The island had a 6 month quarantine, for pets and the conditions were reported to be bad. I had two golden retrievers, at the time and couldn't put them through it. One of my assistants got the male and my sister got the female. It was like giving up kids. We vowed to not have any more pets, while on active duty. We had a cat, up until last year...for 17 years. Now that my wife and I retired, we have time to devote to this guy. Django (or DJ for short), came home with us yesterday. I spent a little bit of time, sleeping on the floor last night...but overall the first 24 hours has been pretty smooth.
DJ.jpg
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

:D ::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Here is Griffin and the lady of the house Lil. The second one is Griffin on his perch by my office window keeping tabs on who comes up to the front porch or who's driving down the road mostly.
20171120_104549.jpg
20180926_190128.jpg
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

:D :D ::tu:: ::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”