SHOW US YOUR PETS!!!

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: SHOW US YOUR PETS!!!

Post by orvet »

That's a good lookin' dog Ken! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Mumbleypeg wrote:We don't need no stinking birds! :lol:

image.jpeg

Couldn't resist posting this picture of my lab Mazie's grandfather. You shoot it, he'll get it!

Ken
Kool!! One of the beagles we run will retrieve also.. Makes it a little easier!! John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

New family member! This is Mandie. ::super_happy::
image.jpeg
Picked her up from the breeder/trainer Tuesday. She's a started gun dog, already trained but she's spent all her life to date living at the kennel where she was born. So she's adjusting to living with us. Everything's a new experience (don't think she'd ever been inside a home before) so it's been fun watching her get settled in at our place. Had a couple of good sessions working with her since getting home.

As you'd expect from a lab, she's nuts about water - tried to get in the bucket! :lol:

Ken
Attachments
image.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Congratulations. She is a looker. And even in a photo you can see the energy and intelligence in her face and eyes. May you both enjoy long years afield.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks. Real pleased with her so far, and my other young dog. At my age, probably the last dogs I'll ever need. My oldest grandson will soon be 12 years old, so time to get him started working with the dogs!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Great looking HAPPY dogs. ::tu::
Joe
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Mazie has found a new friend. Or at least she thinks so. The friend wasn't too interested. :lol:

Ken
Attachments
IMG_20150606_100412.jpg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

DSC02205.JPG
DSC03928.JPG
Brother and sister.. John :D

zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Some good looking critters and interesting pics Gents.

Nikki had a surgery again to remove some massive but benign fatty tumors yesterday. Had this done previous about 18 months ago. We leave them alone until they cause pain, discomfort or impact to her mobility. These were causing the latter of those. She had a sub muscle tumor on front passenger side that was huge when he dug it out. Also one in her haunch web where the torso meets the back leg, about the size of a softball.

Poor old girl is beat up from the feet up today. Some pretty huge incisions and these are just 2 of the 4 incisions. Need her ready for what may be her last bird season. This dog lives for the sound of a shotgun.

Thankfully, my Vet does his profession for the love of animals, not to make his car payment.

Jerry
Attachments
Beat Up old dog.jpg
Front Passenger Side.jpg
Mid Drivers Side closeup.jpg
Front Passenger Side closeup.jpg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Bull Terriers are a breed apart.

I remember a story in our American Lit book in school about a family and their Bull Terrier. He did all kinds of crazy things, including dragging home a full sized man hole cover.

Charlie
That's incredible. Manhole covers are very heavy, enough to take your fingers off if you let it fall shut. I wonder how the dog managed that. The lid must have already been off, no way the dog would have been able to get it otherwise.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Our thoughts and prayers for a full, total recovery for Nikki!! ::tu:: Her and Dad gotta hunt!!! John :D

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Jerry: So many dogs develop tumors both benign and otherwise. Has your vet ever mentioned what causes this "epidemic?"
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Thanks John.

Yea, Garry, my lumpy lab is not unique. Not sure exactly why but labs are pretty susceptible to them but some get them and some don't. Kind of all or nothing so to speak. Sure as heck aint the $55 for 30 pounds of food I feed. Started when she was about 7 yrs old. She is ten now.

Here is what Google has to say...

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/ski ... ?page=show.

The one on the front shoulder was impeding her movement pretty good. First one of about 12 (two surgeries) he pulled out that was under the muscle. The one they removed from her side look like she had a golf ball under her skin.

She is doing much better today, actually moving and wagging quite a bit.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thanks for the google reference. It does a fine job of explaining diagnosis and treatments. Unfortunately (and typically) it does not discuss, even theoretically, causes. Yes, some breeds like Labs, appear more susceptible, but malignant tumors occur with virtually every breed and in great numbers. Speculation includes things such as sniffing the ground so much they pick up the residue of chemical pesticides and fertilizers. Or, it is a reaction to food allergies. Many brands have eliminated grains from their products because reactions are so common. These are all guesses as far as I know.

I am just glad that your girl is not dealing with malignancy and definitely hope you will both be able to enjoy another shooting season. Best wishes for your great friend.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Thanks for the well wishes Garry my friend. She is a real sweetheart. Actually, we always had family dogs but this is the first dog that was "My dog" I got at 42 years old. Just never thought it was fair to have a big dog (not a small dog guy personally, that is the wife's department) without a big yard so I waited that long to have one as my own. Others mileage may vary.
Hard to watch getting older and slower but she still has some good years left in her. We are gonna make the best of them.
Regards, Jerry
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

zp4ja wrote:Some good looking critters and interesting pics Gents.

Nikki had a surgery again to remove some massive but benign fatty tumors yesterday. Had this done previous about 18 months ago. We leave them alone until they cause pain, discomfort or impact to her mobility. These were causing the latter of those. She had a sub muscle tumor on front passenger side that was huge when he dug it out. Also one in her haunch web where the torso meets the back leg, about the size of a softball.

Poor old girl is beat up from the feet up today. Some pretty huge incisions and these are just 2 of the 4 incisions. Need her ready for what may be her last bird season. This dog lives for the sound of a shotgun.

Thankfully, my Vet does his profession for the love of animals, not to make his car payment.

Jerry
Hope Nikki recovers fast Jerry. Looks like she is resting comfortably.

Our Golden, Ginger is going to be 12 soon and has the same issue with fatty tumors. So far no surgery.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

zp4ja wrote:Some good looking critters and interesting pics Gents.

Jerry
I hope she recovers soon. In the past I've had dogs that needed surgery and it was always tough seeing them uncomfortable and lethargic. But it's a great feeling once they're back to their old selves.

Here's my dog. His name is Slider. He's a Cocker Spaniel mix I got from a rescue league some years ago.
Attachments
Slider.JPG
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Thanks Wayne and Dave! Great looking cocker Dave. Looks quite at home in that pic.

Nikki is acting now as if she did not have MAJOR surgery yesterday. Truly amazing. No pain meds just anti- inflammatory. Night and day in like 4 hours and it was not the knockout drugs as I paid for all the extra IVs, etc. She is probably relieved to get those damn things out of her. They impacted her mobility quite a bit recently.

Thanks much for the well wishes everyone. Yes Dave, hard to see your best friend laid out like that for sure. A lot to be said about the relationship of a man and his dog. No offense ladies. In my case, I am blessed with 2 dogs. I take care of them and they take care of me, all in our own way.

Jerry
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Glad your Nikki is doing well Jerry. Having owned numerous Labs over the years (currently have three) I'm all too familiar with the tumors, and the surgeries. Fortunately all have been benign. It's a small sample size but my Labs that have had tumors were all American Labs. None of my British Labs have had any (so far anyway). Probably just coincidence but makes me wonder if it's hereditary. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Glad your Nikki is doing well Jerry. Having owned numerous Labs over the years (currently have three) I'm all too familiar with the tumors, and the surgeries. Fortunately all have been benign. It's a small sample size but my Labs that have had tumors were all American Labs. None of my British Labs have had any (so far anyway). Probably just coincidence but makes me wonder if it's hereditary. ::shrug::

Ken
Thanks Ken. Was kind of wondering if passed down also myself. No bragging but not a mutt (I have a mutt and they are great, just saying) and pure breed.
Not sure if American or British. Basic pure breed "box head" as they are referred to.

Regards, Jerry
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I had a beautiful chocolate lab named Casey that succumbed to tumors a few years ago. He had one come up on his hind quarters a couple of inches to the side of his anus. I had a vet remove it. He did very well for about 15 months after surgery then the tumors came back with a vengeance and I had to have him put down at 10 years of age. My vet said cancer is common in labs.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

If you have a chocolate Lab it's likely from the American Lab bloodlines. Chocolates are very rare in the "British Lab" lines. A "fox red" Lab probably is from the British bloodlines. A fox red colored lab is considered just a variation of yellow. Black is the predominant gene, so black is the most prevalent color in Labrador retrievers. For some good information on Labrador retrievers in general and British labs in particular see http://www.duckhillkennels.com/dogs/bir ... brador.php

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Brumbydownunder

Post by Brumbydownunder »

A Couple Of "Hairy Headed Woofers" Meet Toby & Gemma (Brittanys)
100_5250.JPG
And what had their attention ........
100_5244c.jpg
100_5247.JPG
He's a big Ol'fella ... I'm 5' 9" and he's taller than me ::uc::

Derek
"Belong Where The Moment Finds You"
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Your Brittanys are gorgeous. I may be a bit biased as I had a Brittany. Smartest dog I ever personally knew. Yours make a wonderful pair. ::tu:: ::tu::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Very nice Brittanys Derek. Beautiful intelligent looking dogs. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”