SHOW US YOUR PETS!!!

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: SHOW US YOUR PETS!!!

Post by 1967redrider »

Nice pup, Colonel!

Even tho she's 3 years old, she'll aways be daddy's Kitten.
Attachments
IMG_20210614_184350634.jpg
IMG_20210614_184412821.jpg
IMG_20210614_184306718.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:07 am Even tho she's 3 years old, she'll aways be daddy's Kitten.
What a wonderful cat. I like her little white bib!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Dan In MI wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:59 am
1967redrider wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:07 am Even tho she's 3 years old, she'll aways be daddy's Kitten.
What a wonderful cat. I like her little white bib!

That's the only white on her. Her mother has a white bowtie and a white belly. Both are very sweet but Kitten is very shy.
Attachments
IMG_20210614_184446917.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Colonel26 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:56 am Here’s Jackson and Simon hanging out with Pepper the squirrel dog.

B7DFBE37-ADD5-4316-9653-CCF4248ABCA7.jpeg4D42653F-2E46-4F29-8F32-6DEDFD509CF4.jpeg
Pepper has some nice thick leg bones. ::tu::
I noticed she has rear dew claws, is this standard in this breed? It pops up in the APBT from time to time but we amputate them in an effort to avoid injuries.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Loose Arrow wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:50 pm [quote=Colonel26 post_id=929754 time=<a href="tel:1623722203">1623722203</a> user_id=14441]
Here’s Jackson and Simon hanging out with Pepper the squirrel dog.

B7DFBE37-ADD5-4316-9653-CCF4248ABCA7.jpeg4D42653F-2E46-4F29-8F32-6DEDFD509CF4.jpeg
Pepper has some nice thick leg bones. ::tu::
I noticed she has rear dew claws, is this standard in this breed? It pops up in the APBT from time to time but we amputate them in an effort to avoid injuries.
[/quote]

Yes, they’re common. Here’s the breed standard. I like to be close to it, although I’ll take a dog that looks like a mess that’ll hunt verses a bench dog that won’t.
ECD4E39B-71A2-49F6-8372-FA932838C0F8.jpeg
AC3EC601-3796-457C-9DCA-B9CD7BE19EF6.jpeg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Colonel26 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:59 pm Yes, they’re common. Here’s the breed standard. I like to be close to it, although I’ll take a dog that looks like a mess that’ll hunt verses a bench dog that won’t.
Thanks for sharing, I read it through. 🤓
Form follows function.

How crazy that UKC will disqualify a dog for an under/over-bite. In the ADBA it's worth up to 5 points of the 25 possible points scored of the head.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Loose Arrow wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:23 pm
Colonel26 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:59 pm Yes, they’re common. Here’s the breed standard. I like to be close to it, although I’ll take a dog that looks like a mess that’ll hunt verses a bench dog that won’t.
Thanks for sharing, I read it through. 🤓
Form follows function.

How crazy that UKC will disqualify a dog for an under/over-bite. In the ADBA it's worth up to 5 points of the 25 possible points scored of the head.
It could make a difference catching and holding game.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Colonel26 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:43 pm It could make a difference catching and holding game.
A scissor bite is always preferred but I don't mind it being slightly under so long as you can't fit a roll of quarters between them.
My boy Micky is slightly undershot. His reaction when I told him UKC don't consider him a bulldog if he doesn't have a perfect scissor bite. 😂
Attachments
20200726_195113_HDR~2.jpg
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Loose Arrow wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:28 am
Colonel26 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:43 pm It could make a difference catching and holding game.
A scissor bite is always preferred but I don't mind it being slightly under so long as you can't fit a roll of quarters between them.
My boy Micky is slightly undershot. His reaction when I told him UKC don't consider him a bulldog if he doesn't have a perfect scissor bite. 😂
I have no idea what the breed standard is for bulldogs. It may be acceptable in the UKC as well. Those were just for black mouth curs.

He’s a good looking boy!
Robert E. Lee
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Colonel26 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:19 am I have no idea what the breed standard is for bulldogs. It may be acceptable in the UKC as well. Those were just for black mouth curs.

He’s a good looking boy!
Thanks Colonel! I was just being funny with that pic. UKC don't uphold their written Standard for the APBT that's why theirs end up looking more like American Bullies instead.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

LA, Back on June 2nd you posted a Civil War painting that I enjoyed because it showed the ABT as a Unionist. I thought that was very cool.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

The comments earlier in this thread regarding differing breed standards are good reminders. I’m not going to say they all make sense but for the most part those standards are driven by the reasons for the breed’s existence. Dew claw removal (or not) also mentioned is another matter that depends on the breed’s purpose. That reminded me of this interesting video pertaining to dew claws in retrieving breeds. Any dog owner regardless of breed, living where water freezes over should see this.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Quick Steel wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:05 am LA, Back on June 2nd you posted a Civil War painting that I enjoyed because it showed the APBT as a Unionist. I thought that was very cool.
Glad you enjoyed it QS! 🇺🇸
We can stand united or....
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:18 am The comments earlier in this thread regarding differing breed standards are good reminders. I’m not going to say they all make sense but for the most part those standards are driven by the reasons for the breed’s existence. Dew claw removal (or not) also mentioned is another matter that depends on the breed’s purpose. That reminded me of this interesting video pertaining to dew claws in retrieving breeds. Any dog owner regardless of breed, living where water freezes over should see this.

Ken
Thanks for sharing that video Ken. ::tu::
I want to clarify that I was speaking on having dew claws in the rear only, not the front. The video clearly demonstrated their purpose for having them up front.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks LA, I understood what you were saying. It just reminded me of that video. Many advocate removing all dew claws, front and rear. I used to do it myself but stopped several years ago, in favor of keeping them well trimmed. I noticed the nail on the dew claws were getting worn which made me realize they were being used somehow. ::shrug:: Don’t really know why I did it. A couple of years ago a friend who trains Labs sent me that video. Then I decided I was really smart! :lol:

The Akbash dog has dew claws for a good reason. In fact he has double dew claws.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Loose Arrow wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:28 am My boy Micky is slightly undershot.
He's a very handsome dog. That's a great photo, too...a one-in-a-million chance of getting another like it!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Dan In MI wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:20 am
Loose Arrow wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:28 am My boy Micky is slightly undershot.
He's a very handsome dog. That's a great photo, too...a one-in-a-million chance of getting another like it!
::handshake:: Thanks Dan!
It's his best OMG impression. 😲
If all goes as planned, I'll be showing him in Colorado in a few days, June 25th-27th.
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:39 am Thanks LA, I understood what you were saying. It just reminded me of that video. Many advocate removing all dew claws, front and rear. I used to do it myself but stopped several years ago, in favor of keeping them well trimmed. I noticed the nail on the dew claws were getting worn which made me realize they were being used somehow. ::shrug:: Don’t really know why I did it. A couple of years ago a friend who trains Labs sent me that video. Then I decided I was really smart! :lol:

The Akbash dog has dew claws for a good reason. In fact he has double dew claws.

Ken
One time I had a pup with only one rear dew claw on one hind leg and I named him "Un Toe Más" which phonetically sounds like the Spanish version of Thomas (Tomás) but it literally translates to 'One more toe'. ::facepalm::
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:39 am Thanks LA, I understood what you were saying. It just reminded me of that video. Many advocate removing all dew claws, front and rear. I used to do it myself but stopped several years ago, in favor of keeping them well trimmed. I noticed the nail on the dew claws were getting worn which made me realize they were being used somehow. ::shrug:: Don’t really know why I did it. A couple of years ago a friend who trains Labs sent me that video. Then I decided I was really smart! :lol:

Ken
Pepper has double dew claws on her rear legs.
Robert E. Lee
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

My goofy puppy....
Attachments
20210616_084830.jpg
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Working Edge wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:34 pm My goofy puppy....
Thanks fur sharing. ::tu::
Attachments
IMG_20201202_083019_915.jpg
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Working Edge and Loose Arrow, those pictures are too funny. Love 'em!
USN 2000-2006
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Dan In MI wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:47 pm Working Edge and Loose Arrow, those pictures are too funny. Love 'em!
Thanks! ::tu::
Here's my boy with Canadian judge Stacey Mangat and his Best of Show trophy. 🇺🇸
Attachments
IMG_20160904_142316~2.jpg
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

Loose Arrow wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:07 pm
Working Edge wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:34 pm My goofy puppy....
Thanks fur sharing. ::tu::
LOL @ "fur sharing...!"
:D
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

LA, WOW! Having a champion dog must reflect tremendous commitment. Congratulations. ::handshake::

From the sublime to the ridiculous. Did you ever see the movie Best In Show? Its a favorite comedy of mine. But I have no idea what a serious breeder would think of it.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”