YOUR USER NAME

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Black Lion

Re: YOUR USER NAME

Post by Black Lion »

jerryd6818 wrote:Are you in touch with any of the guys you served with? If you are you know that even though you may not have seen them in 30 years or more, when you get in touch with them, it's just like you saw them yesterday.
I'm in touch with a few of them but have been in touch with quite a few. I started research on our companies "travels" in RVN back in the late 70's. Rough going back then before the internet was accessible to me. The 1st Division museum isn't too far from me so there was some material available but not a bunch. Then Newsweek did the article on us, CBS/Bill Moyer did the TV special (Bittersweet Memories) and then the book got published. And so...with my notes/letters home I was able to piece even more together. The internet was a huge help and then the web REALLY got things going. Some members of our regiment started a web page which developed into a site which developed into the Black Lions Society which now has so many members that they can't afford to mail out member lists anymore.

My good buddy, Mike MacDonald, (no...not the singer) was humping the squad radio when I first joined the platoon, then he moved to humping company radio, then he moved to battalion radio and now he's the president of the BL society. I've got well over 1,000 photos, 2/28th DSJ's, 1st Div. AA's and a full set of operational maps of south Vietnam. When I get done with the research it's going into museum here in Illinois so it will be available for research in their library. I'm on my 5th computer with a 6th one about ready to be put online, 4 scanners and all sorts of printer paper...miles of it from way back when. I'm in a 10'x10' room that has about 8 sq ft of walking area available anymore. ::sigh:: ::shrug::

DSJ = Daily Staff Journal
AA = After Action report
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Black Lion: Clearly you are involved in a great project, an important project. Thank you for investing so much time and effort in keeping the flame alive.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

It takes a lot of time and effort to find those guys, especially if they have no interest in being found. I hunted down guys I went through boot camp with and guys I was stationed with. Over a period of appx. 20 years, I found 60% of the guys from boot camp, some deceased and some since deceased. I found about 70 I was stationed with at one time or another, some fertilizing the flowers, again about 66%/33%. A few stay in contact but the majority show no interest and I'm running out of enthusiasm.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

I am a Swedish guy who hunts, shoots and collects Sakos and I have a lot of Sako branded items so when I signed up on British Blades it struck me that I own a couple of Finnish fixed blades with a Sako logo so I decided to use that as a handle for all blade forums I participate in, which is currently two. :)

Here is a pic for your viewing pleasure!

Jim
sakoknife.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Buddyie22, if i read this correctly you have had 22 German shorthair hunting dogs ? That's a pile of dogs !
kj
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

It's been interesting going through this thread, I don't think I've posted here.

I chose knifeslinger because I always seem to have a whole bunch of knives on or near me (dumb name, I know ::facepalm::) the 81 is for one of my favorite knives, the gec 81 stockman.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Below is the man who gave me the name, Cpt.Diep CO of the 1st Bn, 44th Reg, 23rd ARVN Div. He was very smart, very brave, very tough, and as fine an officer as one could serve with. As his advisor, one of my most important duties was to call in fire support. We used a variety of assets but most commonly the support was from artillery. It so happened that I had a knack for getting rounds on target fast meaning not having to use many spotting rounds, never more than three and frequently two or-with a bit of luck-one. Then, calling "fire for effect" a storm of shells would descend upon our NVA opponents. Diep appreciated this and when we were kicking back he would sometimes refer to me as Cpt. Quick Steel.
Cpt. Diep and his battalion were lost in the final invasion of the South. RIP.
Thomas-b 4x5.jpg
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Very interesting read, my name Monte and one of my favorite dogs Mojo

Monte
SolWarrior

Post by SolWarrior »

Lots of interesting user names and how they came about. :wink:

I first used this handle (solwarrior) on AOL back in 1996 when you could only use up to 10 letters so the prefix in this made up handle "Sol" I figured fit both sole as in one individual and soul as in the spiritual sense. And warrior as I trained religiously in Aikijujutsu and with much of its weaponry for many years and was still actively training and instructing back then. I have this user name in many sites cause it's discreet and also because I'm just too lazy to think up of another. :lol:
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Felix my uninspiring name also comes from AOL days. I guess there were 7157 G Smiths before me. :D :D
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
SolWarrior

Post by SolWarrior »

:lol: Greg, I was going to use Felimon - a nickname my closest friends used often but decided to go with the usual. ::shrug::
sam eib

Post by sam eib »

First and last name. Eib is German pronounced Ibe. Easy to remember.
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

Hmmmm well I thought long and hard before I decided on a username. Lol not really my last name is Landers and I love knives so I put them together. There are some very cool stories attached to the names used here though. ::woot::
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
rarefish383

rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

I feel I was lucky to be young during the heyday of muscle cars. In high school I had a 39 Ford coupe, and several Dodge and Plymouth "A" body performance cars. The "A" bodies were considered compacts, small cars with big motors. I had 3 69 Dodge 340 Swingers, a 67 Barracuda Formula S Fastback, and a 67 Dodge R/T 440 magnum. I always wanted an A body Barracuda with a big block. In 1999 I found a 68 Barracuda Formula S Convertible, 383, 4 speed. Even though they started putting big blocks in the A bodies in 67, they only put them in convertibles in 68. They made 64 383 convertible Cuda's in 68, 24 automatics and 40, 4 speeds. So, it's a rarefish with a 383. Rarefish383, Joe.
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

Ramrod wrote:Just wondering how/why some of you came up with your "name", what they refer to or why you chose it.

Mine, Ramrod, was my grandpas CB handle back in the 70's.

Mark
I just started a business called American Edge Tech.
The name came from GoDaddy...

The names I wanted were EXPENSIVE$$$$$$$$$$,
This name was 99 cents, and I think it was cooler than the ones I wanted. 8)

Easy answer... ::tu::
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Nothing fancy about mine. My favorite pocket knife pattern is the Queen Railsplitter like the one in my avatar.

The fact that I live in Springfield, Illinois and one of Abraham Lincoln's nicknames was The Railsplitter is strictly coincidence and has nothing to do with my user name.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

Quick Steel wrote:Below is the man who gave me the name, Cpt.Diep CO of the 1st Bn, 44th Reg, 23rd ARVN Div. He was very smart, very brave, very tough, and as fine an officer as one could serve with. As his advisor, one of my most important duties was to call in fire support. We used a variety of assets but most commonly the support was from artillery. It so happened that I had a knack for getting rounds on target fast meaning not having to use many spotting rounds, never more than three and frequently two or-with a bit of luck-one. Then, calling "fire for effect" a storm of shells would descend upon our NVA opponents. Diep appreciated this and when we were kicking back he would sometimes refer to me as Cpt. Quick Steel.
Cpt. Diep and his battalion were lost in the final invasion of the South. RIP.
Thomas-b 4x5.jpg
WOW!
Respect SIR!
Condolences for your loss as well.

Now I wish I never posted my 99 cent name... :(
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Ken, welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.
Attachments
AAPK Welcome Sign.jpg
AAPK Welcome Sign.jpg (31.51 KiB) Viewed 9106 times
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

for gsmith I used to read the Snuffy Smith comics in the news papers. My name is Bob. Mostly retired but was a watch maker and long time antiques dealer. former life's were industrial electronics, ships electrician building mega dollar motor yachts, and locksmith.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Two Flowers was a character from the Discworld series of books written by Terry Pratchett. Two Flowers was a naive tourist who had a magical trunk made from "sapient pearwood" that was simply called "The Luggage". The Luggage had dozens of legs and very sharp wooden teeth and followed along behind Two Flowers like a puppy dog. Anyone that tried to mess with The Luggage soon discovered how unpleasant it is to have dozens of feet stomping on your head while your ears are being bitten off. I love all types of science & speculative fiction, especially wild & humorous stuff like Terry Pratchett (Discworld) and Douglas Adams (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy).

Here's a few classic quotes from the books about The Luggage:

"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them."

"The Luggage’s expression could only be described as wooden."

"The Luggage had spent many years trailing through strange lands, meeting exotic creatures and jumping up and down on them."

"The Luggage said nothing, but louder this time."
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:Two Flowers was a character from the Discworld series of books written by Terry Pratchett. Two Flowers was a naive tourist who had a magical trunk made from "sapient pearwood" that was simply called "The Luggage". The Luggage had dozens of legs and very sharp wooden teeth and followed along behind Two Flowers like a puppy dog. Anyone that tried to mess with The Luggage soon discovered how unpleasant it is to have dozens of feet stomping on your head while your ears are being bitten off. I love all types of science & speculative fiction, especially wild & humorous stuff like Terry Pratchett (Discworld) and Douglas Adams (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy).

Here's a few classic quotes from the books about The Luggage:

"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them."

"The Luggage’s expression could only be described as wooden."

"The Luggage had spent many years trailing through strange lands, meeting exotic creatures and jumping up and down on them."

"The Luggage said nothing, but louder this time."
If I wanted to read one of Terry Pratchett's books, is there any particular one I should read first? I'm a start at the beginning and read in sequence kind of guy. Maybe methodical is the term best used.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Sure - I'm the same way - I think it's always best to start at the beginning and work through in order. There is actually a recommended reading order on this website: https://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/dis ... ing-order/

And it just so happens the first book is "The Colour of Magic", which contains Two Flowers and The Luggage.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thanks. I bookmarked that and will probably give one a try when I finish the three I just picked up at the library.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
gypsy jim

Post by gypsy jim »

My name is Jimmy and the best black lab it was my pleasure to own was Gypsy. She's been gone a long time now. I'll always have dogs but she was the one. I think all dog lovers have "the one" at some point.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

My login name comes from the first letter of my last name merged with zyzzogeton, the last word in the Webster's 1913 Unabridged Dictionary. I started using it after I kept getting "already in use" messages when trying to join an online group years ago. Had to come up with something no one else had.

Here's what one of the little beggars looks like.

Side view

And a face only a mother would love :mrgreen:

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”