I bet your Lizards don't get this big !!!

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
sunburst

I bet your Lizards don't get this big !!!

Post by sunburst »

Have you ever had a problem with Lizards!!!? Do they kinda creep you out at times....Here is what we removed from our property Monday... ::paranoid::

This bad boy Bull Gator measured up at 12' 2" and somewhere around 500 lbs. We had been trapping wild hogs that meander on our property making a menace of themselves by rooting up the ground that leaves the terrain something to be desired once they dig it up looking for whatever they can find...

And about two weeks ago I caught 2 boar hogs that weighed an estimated 125 to 140 lbs each. I was on the way to a meeting and I told my foreman to get the hog trailer and load up the wild hogs and haul them off to an area that is more secluded with no farms in the area where they can't be a nuisance...When I got back from the meeting later that day I asked him how the hog excursion went and he said you are not going to believe what happened...

When he got to the hog trap the two wild hogs had knocked the trap around where the corner of oneside was overhanging a canal and one of the hogs escaped down to the shallow canal below. He meanwhile was pulling the hog trap away from the canal so the other hog would not get away. He said that he heard splashing in the area where the hog escaped so he ran back over to the canal and looked down to see this Bull Gator holding onto this 140 lb hog by the neck and the hog trying to escape. He then said that when the Gator sighted my foreman he rolled two times and disapeared with the hog into the culvert pipe that the canal runs into.

You have to understand we have caught a 100 or so hogs in the same place over the years and we usually wash our hands down in the ditch where this Gator caught this hog at...So I contacted a certified licensed gator trapper who traps on our property and told him the situation and two weeks later here is the big Lizard who likes wild pork...We have lots of gators on our property but we don't see many this size too often....I told my foreman that it's too bad he could not have video taped the event because he could have retired for a year or so if he could have caught that on tape.

Just another slow day at the farm.... :shock:

That's me on the right hand side and with boots on & hat I am about 6' 2", compare that to the length of the gators head...

Sunburst
Attachments
Gator2.jpg
Gator2.jpg (164.93 KiB) Viewed 4333 times
Gator1.jpg
Gator1.jpg (156.19 KiB) Viewed 4333 times
“The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways”
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

WOW :shock:

That is something...

You should have a pair of boots made...

Actually, you could probably have a whole set of luggage made ...or something like that :mrgreen: :mrgreen: HA

Is aligator good to eat? I've heard it was, but I've never had it.
sunburst

Post by sunburst »

Hey Bryan,

Actually alligator is pretty good to eat, it is a nice white meat that tends to be slightly chewy the older the gator. I have only had it cubed up in bite size bits then rolled in flower and deep fried. Some folks soak it in milk or buttermilk overnight.

The tail, legs and jaw muscle are great cuts and some people even enjoy the ribs (Not me, if you ever saw what a gator eats...I do not want to get meat anywhere near his stomach, even if it is the ribs). I personally like the tail for the meat source.

A Bull gator this big is more canibal than anything else usually eating smaller gators and the smaller females after breeding...

I wonder if anyone has ever attempted to incorporate alligator skin into knife scales???? I will have to talk to Jeff about that...I don't see how because of the softness but all things are possible...

Take care,

Sunburst
“The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways”
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

lizard

Post by Mossdancer »

Hey;
Nice chameleon. One would think the jaw bones would suffice for pretty good scale material.
My guess, he's gone to hawg heaven.
W.B.
TKC

Post by TKC »

YIKES!!!!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
sunburst

Post by sunburst »

Well here's what's left of ole Wally Gator ::nod::
Attachments
Alligator Head.JPG
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

thats a heck of a lizard there! I'll bet if you stretch and dried the hide without tanning it would dry very hard, much like turtle or snake (speaking from experience) If the conditions were right and gods willing I bet you could make a dandy knife handle from some gator skin-it'd be unique if nothing else. Here is a handle made from genuine turtle shell I did on a western 442.
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

That...was one big, bad dude sunburst. Did you get some of the meat?

Bill
Please visit the Member Stores here at AAPK, including my store.....GET AN EDGE!
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/getanedge
justold52

Post by justold52 »

Party Time at Sunburst's house ? alligator is pretty good to eat?
I will have the smoke pig Please. ::ds::
A sign In a Chinese Pet Store: 'Buy one dog, get one flea.'
jonet143
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jonet143 »

do those big lizards get near your peach or citrus orchards?
johnnie f 1949

on the cutting edge is sometimes not the place to be.
please support our troops - past and present
if not a member...join the NKCA! they're on our side.
sunburst

Post by sunburst »

Hey Johnnie,

Matter of fact that's where they all are..On the last estimate about 4 years ago the trapper estimated between 5-10,000 gators on the 2,600 acres I manage.

When I asked him how they estimate he says they do a hard count of what they see and then they have a pretty good idea of what is out there. He counted 2,500 and says that on average they miss 75% of what's out there..?? I'm not convinced of this method personally but it doesn't really matter.

There were several Big Bulls harvested last year over 10 feet and a couple taken over 12 feet.
jonet143
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jonet143 »

i'll help harvest if i can hunt gators and hogs. :lol: what about your domestic animals, pets, etc. is it kind of a revolving door policy on them? and i thought we had problems with coyotes and occasional mountain lions.
johnnie f 1949

muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

sunburst wrote:Hey Johnnie,

Matter of fact that's where they all are..On the last estimate about 4 years ago the trapper estimated between 5-10,000 gators on the 2,600 acres I manage.

When I asked him how they estimate he says they do a hard count of what they see and then they have a pretty good idea of what is out there. He counted 2,500 and says that on average they miss 75% of what's out there..?? I'm not convinced of this method personally but it doesn't really matter.

There were several Big Bulls harvested last year over 10 feet and a couple taken over 12 feet.
sounds alot like bull frogs, for every one you see during the day you'll see 5 after dark.

I'm with Johnnie- I'll help pick if ya let me dust a hog every now and then :D
sunburst

Post by sunburst »

muskrat man wrote:
I tell you what MM you and Johnnie just make plans to come down in my area one day and I will do my best to arrange a little hog hunt or two.. ::nod::

Here is one I have on the wall in my office..I am sad to say that he fell off the wall a while back and it split his bottom lip :evil: I will have to send it off to get it fixed...

Sunburst
Attachments
Boar Hog.JPG
jonet143
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jonet143 »

here in tejas, hogs are open season. is there legal trouble for shooting a gator? on your property?
johnnie f 1949

sunburst

Post by sunburst »

In Florida hogs are open season as long as you are on private property because they are considered exotic game..

Trivia note: Hernando Desoto introduced the first hogs to the New World off the west coast of Florida in what is now Charlotte county..The property I manage is in Charlotte county..

You must have a gator tag to legally hunt gators in Florida Johnnie. But there is legislation in the state capital that may make it legal for anyone to shoot a nuisance alligator. The population of Gators has exploded and so has the population of humans so changes are in the works..

Sunburst
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

sunburst wrote:
muskrat man wrote:
I tell you what MM you and Johnnie just make plans to come down in my area one day and I will do my best to arrange a little hog hunt or two.. ::nod::

Here is one I have on the wall in my office..I am sad to say that he fell off the wall a while back and it split his bottom lip :evil: I will have to send it off to get it fixed...

Sunburst
will do ::tu:: thats a mean lookin tusker you've got there!
9ball

Post by 9ball »

Hey Sunburst,

I received these over the week-end.
The guy in the first photo is 6' 5" for scale and that is a grown deer in its mouth in the second.
This thing was found in one of those freshwater lakes there.

9ball :)

BTW:Do gator's have Right's there yet? ::paranoid::
Attachments
gator 2.jpg
gator 2.jpg (29.44 KiB) Viewed 3303 times
gator 1.jpg
gator 1.jpg (38.74 KiB) Viewed 3303 times
sunburst

Post by sunburst »

Howdy 9ball :)

I hope all is well with you...I heard about that gator and have that one picture of him swimming with the deer in it's mouth, really cool pics..Have you heard any size specifications of how large, long etc..??

He looks like a dinosaur doesn't he...!! Thanks for sharing..

Sunburst
9ball

Post by 9ball »

Good morning Sunburst :D ,

Dinosaur was the exact word I was looking for.
It was found in Lake Istapoka near Sebring. Did not send a weight, but it was 23 feet 1 inch long, killed back in August 06.

Guess they will be coming out more now that it is getting near Spring. Here is another image, is there a 'Record' size for gator?

9ball :)
Attachments
Gator 3.jpg
Gator 3.jpg (43.79 KiB) Viewed 3264 times
CCBill

OOPS!!!

Post by CCBill »

This seemed to be appropriate.
And YOU think YOU'RE having a bad day???
Attachments
bad day.jpg
bad day.jpg (84.07 KiB) Viewed 3177 times
Only two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein...
justold52

Post by justold52 »

s...!!!!... SCOTTY BEEM ME UP QUICK!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

What would 007 do????

Good one CCBill :mrgreen:
A sign In a Chinese Pet Store: 'Buy one dog, get one flea.'
johnnierotten

Post by johnnierotten »

What would 007 do????
CRAP his pants!!!! :lol:
johnnierotten

So far,So good...So What!!
thebuzzardsloft

Check under my hood please

Post by thebuzzardsloft »

Hey Mister,

My motor is making a strange noise, would ya check under my hood! ::paranoid::
Attachments
MVC005F.jpg
MVC004F.jpg
MVC003F.jpg
MVC002F.jpg
Bein' an Old Buzzard ain't so bad... I git to pick at whatever I want!
sunburst

Post by sunburst »

I bet that made a mess... ::barf:: And talk about a rude surprise when you opened the hood. Where did that happen at buzzard????

Sunburst

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”