Anyone Else Sick And Tired Of Artificial Intelligence??

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Anyone Else Sick And Tired Of Artificial Intelligence??

Post by Miller Bro's »

I fight with this computer every day ::cr:: ::cr::

Start typing and what I type is auto corrected! I write one word and the computer puts in what it wants! :-x ::disgust::

It just did it again :shock: changed "start typing" to "start in" :evil: ::censored:: ::censored::

I can tell you one thing I have a nice hammer in the garage that is going to take care of this problem real soon, if that was not enough I was told today I will not be able to use my old flip phone come January 2022!

Just another form of control by big tech and the government!!! ::td:: ::td::
AAPK Janitor
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Anyone Else Sick And Tired Of Artificial Intelligence??

Post by Colonel26 »

EC7BC8BD-B91F-4B13-A41E-3857E52310D6.jpeg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Miller Bro's wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:25 am I fight with this computer every day ::cr:: ::cr::

Start typing and what I type is auto corrected! I write one word and the computer puts in what it wants! :-x ::disgust::

It just did it again :shock: changed "start typing" to "start in" :evil: ::censored:: ::censored::

I can tell you one thing I have a nice hammer in the garage that is going to take care of this problem real soon, if that was not enough I was told today I will not be able to use my old flip phone come January 2022!

Oh boy, can I relate . ::nod::
Still type with one finger and have to ask my Son or Wife to many questions. Spell check sucks. And still use my old Road Atlas not map quest still haven’t figured out so many things and then when I do get a handle on it it’s obsolete,or maybe I’m the obsolete one . Most of what I know just learned when joining this forum ,and if it wasn’t for you all here wouldn’t be on a computer at all . And cell phones,arghhhhh. Just one to make and receive calls,they don’t make em like that. All this high tech stuff isn’t all good. Like the Hammer cure,it’s always a option. Still like old cars with crank windows and key locks and regular gasoline ,not power everything and auto this or that . Okay,better stop here .
JP
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Ripster wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:43 am
Miller Bro's wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:25 am I fight with this computer every day ::cr:: ::cr::

Oh boy, can I relate . ::nod::
Still type with one finger and have to ask my Son or Wife to many questions. Spell check sucks. And still use my old Road Atlas not map quest still haven’t figured out so many things and then when I do get a handle on it it’s obsolete,or maybe I’m the obsolete one . Most of what I know just learned when joining this forum ,and if it wasn’t for you all here wouldn’t be on a computer at all . And cell phones,arghhhhh. Just one to make and receive calls,they don’t make em like that. All this high tech stuff isn’t all good. Like the Hammer cure,it’s always a option. Still like old cars with crank windows and key locks and regular gasoline ,not power everything and auto this or that . Okay,better stop here .
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: When i was a kid, our family car was dads first car, and it had a CRANK START. No one would know what that even means anymore, :? only smart intelligent people with common sense on AAPK. ::nod:: ::tu::
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

It has practical applications, but also illegal and nefarious applications as well. My problem is how it is being used by governments to spy on their own citizens.

I'm normally not a fan of excessive regulation; but its development, uses, and especially export needs to be regulated. The problem is that many of our lawmakers A: really don't understand it and B: those that do are usually profiting off it.

I hate this whole 3G sunset nonsense. Why get rid of it? You cannot find a good basic phone these days. Usually, you have the expensive ($300 or more) business models that have way too many unneeded features (my Granddad's Kyocera DuraXE likes to butt-dial random numbers due to those superfluous external buttons); or cheap ones, usually aimed at prepaid customers that are utter junk. I'd bought my Grandmother a Sonim Bolt due to this, which was a super basic phone that anyone could use. It was a few years old (new old stock); and 3G. She had it for 2-3 years. I had one shortly. However, AT&T had originally planned to sunset 3G at the start of this year. When I replaced my own phone in May of last year, I had to buy a smartphone, which she hates.

That being said, if you can figure out how to program those stupid buttons, it's quite useful. On my phone, one controls the camera, the other brings up the calculator.

These are about as basic as you're gonna get these days and still have a decent phone. The DuraXE Epic is what is the current version of the phone my Granddad bought. I have the smartphone version, the DuraForce PRO 2. It's made in Japan, NOT CHINA!

However, Kyocera only seems to make them for AT&T or Verizon; DuraXE for the former, DuraXV for the latter. My folks and I are switching to T-Mobile pretty soon, and the problem I've got is that my phone is probably carrier locked.

https://kyoceramobile.com/duraxe-epic/att/
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

I uses a phone for voice communication only; and predominantly outgoing. If you aren't family or close friend, I am not going to answer and I will not listen to your voice mail either! Why? Because I don't have to! I don't text and I don't stream...My flip phone died about a month ago. I went to replace it and, low and behold, they have a new flip phone out. Don't get your hopes up though, it is really just another "smart phone" in disguise. It will do all kinds of stuff, that I don't use, but I have a hell of a time trying to make a call with the thing...

Don't get me wrong, I think that the country is direly deficient in intelligence, but it is not artificial intelligence that will save us.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

cudgee wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:52 am
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: When i was a kid, our family car was dads first car, and it had a CRANK START. No one would know what that even means anymore, :? only smart intelligent people with common sense on AAPK. ::nod:: ::tu::
:lol: I have a few of those. ::facepalm:: A 1930 Model A Ford, a 1947 Farmall Cub tractor, and a 1936 John Deere tractor (the JD tractor has a flywheel crank). Does that qualify me as smart or intelligent? ::paranoid:: ::doh::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Ripster wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:43 am [Still like old cars with crank windows and key locks and regular gasoline ,not power everything and auto this or that.
And manual transmissions! Electronic fuel injection is okay (mostly due to better starting in cold weather), but I could do without the other convenience and safety garbage that only adds complications and is expensive to repair.

I've never owned a vehicle with a crank starter. However, Volkswagen could be crank started until 1949, possibly even later. One can still hand-prop an aircraft, but that isn't always the greatest idea...
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Of course, you can start a manual transmission car by simply getting it rolling and pop the clutch. I used to start my 1950 Ford that way a lot. We had a sloped driveway so I’d just get in, turn on the key (it had a starter button), push in the clutch and let it start rolling down the drive. Get it rolling and pop the clutch. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Ripster wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:43 am Oh boy, can I relate . ::nod::
I ask people their address and how to get to their house they tell me "just use GPS" I tell them I have a flip phone and they laugh :(

Is it me or do people do not want to use their own brain anymore? I still have a road atlas in all my vehicles, I don't know maybe I am just a dinosaur.

People buy into these iPhone and how great they are, personally I don't need Google, GPS, or any of that other crap on an iPhone not to mention the invasion of privacy those things are capable of ::td::

I don't want to be listened to looked at and spied on by the Chinese, US government, high tech, etc. etc. ::disgust::
AAPK Janitor
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Miller Bro's,
You said a mouth full when you asked, "....do people not want to use their own brain anymore?"!
I've noticed asking some folks a question they immediately go to their phone, for an answer. Even simple math questions are easier to punch into the phone than figure with a pencil. "Let me get my phone", is the response to most any question asked of certain people.
When children are allowed to use calculators/phone screens to do math in lower grades it defeats the purpose of learning to use one's brain, not just knowing which function button to push.
Someone shared a too real cartoon with me the other day. The cartoon suggested putting a group of today's youth in a room with a rotary dial telephone, an old television that has to be manually operated (no remote), an analog watch and the instructions about their use written in cursive. :)
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

treefarmer wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:55 am Someone shared a too real cartoon with me the other day. The cartoon suggested putting a group of today's youth in a room with a rotary dial telephone, an old television that has to be manually operated (no remote), an analog watch and the instructions about their use written in cursive. :)
Treefarmer
Thank You Phillip! That story made my whole weekend better!

I miss my old Ericsson phone, made in Finland, is tough and as heavy as a small brick, but they always worked well and if your liver needed and if you ever need a little assistance with self-defense you're pretty good at that too
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

I miss my childhood terribly.

Come in when the streetlights came on.
Riding bicycles and playing.
No computers. No smart phones.

The world was certainly a better place!
Looking for the magic penny!
Samb

Post by Samb »

I'm sick and tired of so called real intelligence.
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Samb wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:18 pm I'm sick and tired of so called real intelligence.
::rotflol:: ::clapping::
Ike
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:07 pm Of course, you can start a manual transmission car by simply getting it rolling and pop the clutch.
I had to do that with my '63 Ford Falcon once. That's one reason I'm not fond of automatic transmissions. Of course, in a newer vehicle with electronic fuel injection, the battery must have enough juice to fire off the fuel injectors for a rolling start to succeed.
Samb wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:18 pm I'm sick and tired of so called real intelligence.
Not me. I see so very little genuine intelligence, how could I tire of it?
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

True ba'b.
::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Dan In MI wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:19 am
Mumbleypeg wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:07 pm Of course, you can start a manual transmission car by simply getting it rolling and pop the clutch.
I had to do that with my '63 Ford Falcon once. That's one reason I'm not fond of automatic transmissions. Of course, in a newer vehicle with electronic fuel injection, the battery must have enough juice to fire off the fuel injectors for a rolling start to succeed.
Manual gearboxes are going the way of the Do-Do bird unfortunately. ::huff:: :x
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

cudgee wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:17 am
Dan In MI wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:19 am
Manual gearboxes are going the way of the Do-Do bird unfortunately. ::huff:: :x
So true ,even the All the big truck fleets ,dump trucks included are going to Auto trannys . Talked to some friends that work at Peterbilt and Kenworth and they’re saying owners can’t find people to drive manual shift. They tear up clutches and grind gears to point of ruining trannys
JP
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

I drove Auto Shift trucks for PAM Transport.
The 06 stranded me at least three times by not recognizing it wasn't out of gear.
The 08 Truck was much better.
Looking for the magic penny!
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

It is common knowledge over here, that if you own a manual the chances of having it stolen are very slim, they don't even know how to start a manual car little alone drive one.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Caveman_1080x1080_Website-100.jpg
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”