Are There Any BASEBALL Fans On The Forum?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Are There Any BASEBALL Fans On The Forum?

Post by jerryd6818 »

WillyCamaro wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:19 pm I don't know what "PED" means, could you educate me?
Willy :D
"PED" -- Performance Enhancing Drugs -- Kinda like a corked bat in pill or liquid form.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Oooo-k, I know about that crap ::disgust:: , just had a memory slip-up …. :roll: .
Cyclists that do drugs make me super mad! They make it bad for us decent fellers that just want to have fun on a bike, it reflects terribly on the sport as a whole. 1 sour apple wrecks the whole basket ::bad_day:: ::smack:: .
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

WillyCamaro wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:19 pm When you put it that way, ya, it's totally cheating when they use technology.
I was thinking of old school signal stealing, like what you said there. I don't follow football so I didn't know about that on. I don't know what "PED" means, could you educate me?
Sorry bout that :oops: , I stand corrected ::tu:: .
Willy,

It appears that I misinterpreted your meaning and what you were saying...my bust. ::handshake::

PED = Performance Enhancing Drugs (i.e., steroids, etc.)
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

No problem man ::handshake:: . It happens to me all the time :oops: :roll: .
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

The fallout from the Astros’ cheating scandal continues. Besides Houston firing their GM Luhnow and on-field manager Hinch, the Red Sox fired manager Alex Cora (who was a coach for Houston during the cheating), and recently-hired Mets manager Carlos Beltran just resigned. Beltran was a player for Houston on that team, and allegedly one of the ring-leaders. Which is a shame because he was a solid player and I always liked him.

This is shaping up as the worst scandal since the infamous 1919 Chicago “Black Sox”.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
wlf

Post by wlf »

I agree Ken. I could see a lawsuits in the future. I’m sure this has cost pitchers money.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I believe they should vacate both teams World Series championships.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
wlf

Post by wlf »

edge213 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:10 pm I believe they should vacate both teams World Series championships.
Me too.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

This is a huge deal, one aspect is 3 teams now have to hire managers only 1 month before spring training. This will likely impact the teams seasons and how will things unfold with coaches that were with teams that were part of the cheating. Will they be blacklisted by MLB teams and essentially their MLB careers are over. One could say as far as the Astros and Red Sox, so be it. But did the Mets organization know anything about this before they hired Beltran?
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I knew it would only be a matter of time before the Mets were roped into the 'conspiracy' talk. ::facepalm:: :lol:
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
schradefan27

Post by schradefan27 »

I got my Spring Training tickets yesterday!

The purchase for spring training was much more exciting when I lived in Connecticut than now [my neck of the woods in Florida was 80's yesterday and today]

I still watch NFL most weekends and very rarely watch NHL. MLB has become my favorite spectator sport in the past few years.
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

I heard from a co-worker in Houston that the players were running this and the manager knew nothing about it. Hard to swallow but possible I suppose. And I agree that the championships should be vacated too. The team(s) and owners should be made to feel the pain.
steve99f
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

What a mess! Almost (or maybe just) as bad as the 1919 Black Sox that created the Baseball Commissioner. Who's the Arnold Rothstein this time?
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

steve99f wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:28 am I heard from a co-worker in Houston that the players were running this and the manager knew nothing about it. Hard to swallow but possible I suppose. And I agree that the championships should be vacated too. The team(s) and owners should be made to feel the pain.
I find that very difficult to believe. That the GM didn’t know is at least somewhat plausible. But the manager is in the dugout, in the locker room, on the field during practices, etc. If the stories I have seen and heard are true, players receiving signals from someone in the center field stands, and relaying them to another player who then banged signals on a garbage can loudly enough that the batter could hear them? It doesn’t seem possible that someone in the dugout every game could miss that. ::shrug:: As widespread as it was, the very least he should have heard the players talking about it.

I recall when Yu Darvish was pitching for the Dodgers against Houston in the playoffs and got knocked out of the game, in I think the second inning, after giving up several runs already. He said afterward he thought he must have been somehow tipping off his pitches because the Astros were hitting him like they knew what was coming. Turns out they did. ::hmm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

It also evolved into something more sophisticated than banging on a garbage can, Jose Altuve and others wore a buzzer under their shirts to tip them as to what was coming. I agree, the manager MUST have know something was going on.
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:00 am
steve99f wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:28 am I heard from a co-worker in Houston that the players were running this and the manager knew nothing about it. Hard to swallow but possible I suppose. And I agree that the championships should be vacated too. The team(s) and owners should be made to feel the pain.
I find that very difficult to believe. That the GM didn’t know is at least somewhat plausible. But the manager is in the dugout, in the locker room, on the field during practices, etc. If the stories I have seen and heard are true, players receiving signals from someone in the center field stands, and relaying them to another player who then banged signals on a garbage can loudly enough that the batter could hear them? It doesn’t seem possible that someone in the dugout every game could miss that. ::shrug:: As widespread as it was, the very least he should have heard the players talking about it.

I recall when Yu Darvish was pitching for the Dodgers against Houston in the playoffs and got knocked out of the game, in I think the second inning, after giving up several runs already. He said afterward he thought he must have been somehow tipping off his pitches because the Astros were hitting him like they knew what was coming. Turns out they did. ::hmm::

Ken
Ken

I agree its hard to believe the Manager didn't know, he's right there in the dug out. Keeping a secret among 25+ is impossible.
steve99f
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Can you imagine what might happen when the Astros play the Yankees in New York this coming season? I don't know if the Astros have an inter league series with the Dodgers this year, but if they do what do you think will happen when Altuve or Bregman step into the box????? All summer long there is going to be some serious head hunting by pitchers opposing the Astros. "Did you know that it was a 100 MPH fastball coming that hit you in the head?" I don't think the pitchers will care if they get suspended, as long as they get a chance to bean one of them.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Don’t forget the Red Sox, who won it all in 2018 are implicated in this scandal too. Cora, who was with the Astros in 2017 and Boston in 2018, has been fired by Boston. The implication being Cora took the Astros’ cheating scheme with him to Boston. It’s my understand that situation is under investigation.

I agree it will be interesting to see what happens in the games this year, and how “official” MLB deals with whatever happens on the field. I bet the players will extract revenge some how, but it may not be as obvious as “beanballs”. The Yankees/Red Sox rivalry may get even more heated!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:55 pm Don’t forget the Red Sox, who won it all in 2018 are implicated in this scandal too. Cora, who was with the Astros in 2017 and Boston in 2018, has been fired by Boston. The implication being Cora took the Astros’ cheating scheme with him to Boston. It’s my understand that situation is under investigation.

I agree it will be interesting to see what happens in the games this year, and how “official” MLB deals with it. I bet the players will extract revenge some how, but it may not be as obvious as “beanballs”. The Yankees/Red Sox rivalry may get even more heated!

Ken
You are right, I forgot to include the Red Sox. Some teams over the past few years have been using "openers", who begin the game, pitch one inning or so, then turn it over to a starter. Some teams could revise this to be an opener that beans the first Astros batter or so, is ejected from the game, and then the starter comes in. Could even be an unknown minor leaguer that gets paid to do this job. Beanballs have flown between Major League teams in the past for far more obscure reasons.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

My goodness. With a little tweaking, it's a modern day Blacksox Scandal a hundred years later. Boy, I tell ya. That American League. Tsk, tsk, tsk.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

fergusontd wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:39 pm ::ds:: Cincinnati Reds going to the World Series in 2020.......and if you buy that! BTW sign stealing, been going on for years. There's cheating in every sport in some way! ftd
Hey, the Reds just moved one step closer to Series contention in 2020. If nothing else, they will be an entertaining team to watch this year. They also, probably now lead the league in number of Greek surnames on the roster. :o
Ike
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training in just two weeks! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::ds:: ::ds::

Are you ready for some Baseball!?

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Feb 11th - Cubs pitchers & catchers report.

I'm ready for baseball but is baseball ready for me?

From everything I hear, Cubs are going to end up with a crap team and with this new Cubs station in limbo, we won't be able to see them until half way through the season if at all. :x
Attachments
2020 Spring Training Report Dates.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Jerry, one of the good things about baseball is listening to games on the radio!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

We're going to try to get Opening Day tickets. I last did Opening Day in 2006, the second year of Nationals baseball.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”