Time for a snack

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Time for a snack

Post by Colonel26 »

One of my favorite things in the whole world, my wife’s homemade pimento cheese! I love this stuff just about any way you can eat it. Tonight, some good crisp celery and slather on the pimento cheese.

She made a big bowl, y’all come on over.
9A53562C-5FEE-4A13-AA32-220E19E11978.jpeg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Steve Warden

Re: Time for a snack

Post by Steve Warden »

I'll bring the root beer!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Your choice of celery is much more healthy than my Frito's corn chips. ::nod::
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Steve Warden wrote:I'll bring the root beer!

I’m in!
Old Folder wrote:Your choice of celery is much more healthy than my Frito's corn chips. ::nod::
Those are one of my favorites with puhminner cheese. Of course the best way is on bread with a big bowl of chili. :mrgreen:
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Looks great Wade! I like pimento cheese on Ritz Crackers (had some earlier this afternoon). OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

I was raised on cheese whiz and celery. Hmmm, pimento sounds like a darn good idea!
Oh yeah, I should probably go eat dinner...
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

zoogirl wrote:I was raised on cheese whiz and celery. Hmmm, pimento sounds like a darn good idea!
Oh yeah, I should probably go eat dinner...
Zoogirl, silly question here, do y’all eat pimento cheese up there in Canada? I know in the south USA homemade pimento cheese is a big thing. Just curious.
Robert E. Lee
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

If it comes in a jar, we probably do! It’s not something I really hear about though. There’s a brand called Tostitos that seems to have a good variety of dipping cheese. They may well have it. I’m about as South and West as you can get in Canada. Cheeze Whiz is old school comfort food around here. It’s made by a Canadian company, Kraft, so maybe you don’t have it. It’s jarred, spreadable orange stuff. Great on toast and a must along with tomato soup if you’re sick!
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

5C52ACE6-7BBE-41C5-8D0B-CB061595D55F.jpeg
01D17315-4039-4E7F-9A0C-AC071E233BAE.jpeg
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

zoogirl wrote:5C52ACE6-7BBE-41C5-8D0B-CB061595D55F.jpeg01D17315-4039-4E7F-9A0C-AC071E233BAE.jpeg
Pimento cheese is melted (some do grated) cheese mixed with mayo, your choice of sweetner, and pimentos. Some folks add jalapeños too. Quite a bit different from cheese whiz. You should whip up a batch, you’ll start a trend up there in the great white north!
Robert E. Lee
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Sounds great!
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I had no idea Kraft was a Canadian company. When did that happen?

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

My mother liked it and would buy a jar of pimento cheese spread. I still buy some every now and then and my wife can't understand it. Like to try some of that homemade stuff! ::drool::

About as close as I can come to homemade pimento cheese spread is this stuff I picked up in the store the other day, never seen it before. It's pretty good but it sure ain't home made!

This is what it looks like, does it look right to y'all?
20190120_215252-1~2.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

I stand corrected. The company, Kraft, is indeed American, however JL Kraft was born in Ontario. I suspect our old Kraft ads played that up. They certainly have a Canadian branch because there’s an Ontario address on the jar. The inference is that the stuff is made in Canada but it doesn’t actually say so. I’m pretty sure there is a Canadian factory though.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

My grandma always had this stuff on hand, along with ham salad (which is like tuna salad but made with ham). My Pap used to always eat potato chips with Swiss cheese. Now, my girlfriend buys Pimento cheese for toast sandwiches or to use as a spread. It takes me back to those childhood days at my grandparent's house.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

orvet wrote:My mother liked it and would buy a jar of pimento cheese spread. I still buy some every now and then and my wife can't understand it. Like to try some of that homemade stuff! ::drool::

About as close as I can come to homemade pimento cheese spread is this stuff I picked up in the store the other day, never seen it before. It's pretty good but it sure ain't home made!

This is what it looks like, does it look right to y'all?
20190120_215252-1~2.jpg
Looks about right. There are two camps here when it comes to pimento cheese. Shredded or melted. The melted camp (like grandma, momma, and my wife make) use velveeta.
1967redrider wrote:My grandma always had this stuff on hand, along with ham salad (which is like tuna salad but made with ham). My Pap used to always eat potato chips with Swiss cheese. Now, my girlfriend buys Pimento cheese for toast sandwiches or to use as a spread. It takes me back to those childhood days at my grandparent's house.
Ham salad is a fine thing too!
Robert E. Lee
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Pimiento cheese - “the caviar of the South”!

My wife makes it with shredded cheddar, pimientos, mayonnaise (Duke’s or Hellman’s - never Miracle Whip salad dressing) some jalapeños (optional). Sometimes she mixes in some chopped celery to give it a crunchy texture. Or throw in a handful of chopped pecans (in place of the celery) for a change of pace. But usually she just buys a tub of Price’s http://pricescheese.com/ - it’s good and a lot easier. :lol:

Spread it on bread or toast for a great quick sandwich, or for a snack just use it as a dip with celery, crackers, or chips. ::tu::
Old Folder wrote:Your choice of celery is much more healthy than my Frito's corn chips. ::nod::
Dan, in Texas Fritos corn chips are considered a vegetable! :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

zoogirl wrote: Cheeze Whiz is old school comfort food around here. It’s jarred, spreadable orange stuff.
Isn't it really just some sort of soft nylon? :mrgreen:
Joe
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Today’s lunch, ham & cheese sandwich- the cheese is grated pimento cheese. OH
Attachments
AAD4873D-5AF2-438D-81E7-948CC8FEE7D6.jpeg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

FRJ wrote:
zoogirl wrote: Cheeze Whiz is old school comfort food around here. It’s jarred, spreadable orange stuff.
Cheez Whiz ingredients:
Ingredients: Whey, Milk, Canola Oil, Maltodextrin, Milk Protein Concentrate, Sodium Phosphate, Contains Less Than 2% Of Modified Food Starch, Salt, Lactic Acid, Whey Protein Concentrate, Mustard Flour, Worcestershire Sauce (Vinegar, Molasses, Corn Syrup, Water, Salt, Caramel Color, Garlic Powder, Sugar, Spices (Contains Celery), Tamarind, Natural Flavor), Sodium Alginate, Sorbic Acid As A Preservative, Color Added, Cheese Culture, Enzymes, Natural Flavor[3]
Note there is no cheese, and you have to get to the third from last listed ingredient to even find “cheese culture”. Not to say it’s not good, but cheese it ain’t! ::facepalm:: (Sometimes it’s best not to read the ingredients! :lol: )

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

I’m, o thought cheese was basically milk, salt and a bit of rennet (cheese culture) to make it solidify. Probably the reason it doesn’t say ‘cheese’ is because they’ve broken the list down into the individual components of the cheese.
I’m sitting in an A&W right now. I bet if you looked at the nutrient list for their hamburger, it wouldn’t say ‘hamburger’, it would list the ingredients of the burger. You know, ground beef, onions, excessive salt, sawdust... :wink:
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Old Hunter wrote:Today’s lunch, ham & cheese sandwich- the cheese is grated pimento cheese. OH
Now that looks delicious.
FRJ wrote:
Cheese whiz is to cheese what hungry jack is to biscuits. Ain’t hardly fit to be in the same category.
Robert E. Lee

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”