First Cup Diner!

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: First Cup Diner!

Post by C-WADE7 »

OSCAR wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:53 pm Thanks Quicksteel and Cudgee. Here are some bottle stoppers I’ve made in the past. And a photo of my Jet mini lathe. Wish I had the space and the money for a full size lathe but they cost thousands of dollars. I’ve been turning for about 30 years.
Bottle stoppers left to right: Ebony, dyed wood laminated, blue dyed box elder (stabilized) and tulip wood.
Nice stoppers Oscar, that deep black ebony is very nice with the chrome of the stopper. Weather has been cold lately so I haven’t sat out with a cigar lately but when I do I’ll pop onto the Cigar thread and post.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Diner is open for the new week, some beautiful handy craft being posted here, the talent pool out there of members here knows no bounds. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::nod:: Hope everyone had an enjoyable week, all things back to normal here as of today, most of the school kids went back today, but the traffic is back to it's congested best. I hate traffic. :x :x :x Enjoy your first coffee for the week. :)
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Mornin' Y'all

56 and rain here, high of 63, and no sunshine for several days.
Nothing new or exciting here in Dixie . . .
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Morning folks, 59 in the villages mid 80's later.
Hoping things work out with my buddy.
Think I'll go check out the hotel breakfast buffet. Yawl have a good'un and be careful out there. ::handshake:: p.s. Jerry I've tipped my hat to a bunch of ole Nam vets and welcomed them home, who knows could been your kin or buddy.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

C-WADE7 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:04 am
OSCAR wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:53 pm Thanks Quicksteel and Cudgee. Here are some bottle stoppers I’ve made in the past. And a photo of my Jet mini lathe. Wish I had the space and the money for a full size lathe but they cost thousands of dollars. I’ve been turning for about 30 years.
Bottle stoppers left to right: Ebony, dyed wood laminated, blue dyed box elder (stabilized) and tulip wood.
Nice stoppers Oscar, that deep black ebony is very nice with the chrome of the stopper. Weather has been cold lately so I haven’t sat out with a cigar lately but when I do I’ll pop onto the Cigar thread and post.
Thanks CW ….
I’ve cut back to one cigar weekly and I save a lot of money and enjoy it more. Gives me something to look forward to. Some days here have been in the 60’s so I can smoke. On weeks it’s really cold, I go to the garage and put down the tailgate of my truck. Not very eloquent but it works for me !!
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Mornin' to all the folks here in the Diner. Had a good weekend as our daughter from Houston was visiting. She gathered all my tax stuff and will get it together and file for me. It is nice to have a CPA in the family. Nothing much on the agenda for the day. It is 33º now and we may get some ice later on. I'll make my post office trip and then not much else for the rest of the day.
Hope your day is a good one.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Good morning. Chilly minus 20 degrees this morning. The wind chill is 35 below. It's supposed to warm up by at least 40 degrees by next weekend. My bones are complaining and my knee is trying to convince me to take the day off. It'll feel better when I get started working. Have a great week and stay warm and well.____Dave
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Good morning everyone
Another week. 46-62 degrees with some rain. Coffee was great this morning. Thank you Cudgee for your compliment on my turning. Like buying knives, I’ve cut back on this as well. I have the equipment but the kits and other materials are somewhat pricey for a hobby during a recession. Got 2 slow cookers going with pepper steak. I’ll vacuum seal it when it cools down. Not much else planned. Take care everyone. Have a great day !
-Oscar outta here ::pace::
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

It's currently 9º and not supposed to go any higher. The weather prognosticators are guessing it will drop to Dave degrees (-13º) over night. We got a good bit of snow over the weekend (about 5 inches). Time to hunker down and veg.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Mornin', Diners.
We have a little fog this morning and the thermometer is reading 68 degrees. Only got 2/10ths of an inch of rain from this last weather event, enough to keep things slick around the ponds and water crossings.
Monday looks like more pumpkin processing and maybe even start cutting on a deer. I don't get in a hurry when I do one for our freezer.
We never know what will come our way. Just thinking of all the folks we know or know of that are experiencing serious disease issues, cancers, joint repairs, car wrecks, this list goes on. We aren't exempt and seems as we age, we endure more and more, personally and collectively. I just find myself thankful that only my knee is bothering me at this moment, it won't slow me down as we drink our 1st cup! ::tu::
Hang in there, folks!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Morning crew, looks like a new week is upon us. Enjoyed a good day of rest yesterday. A few domestic chores. Then pondering and piddling will fill up the rest of the day. 15-23 cloudy and cold. Thank God the wind aint blowing 90 mph. Got two knives out for delivery. ::ds:: Both are cotton samplers. One folder and one fixed. Farmers started growing cotton around here 20-25 years ago. I was shocked the first time I saw a cotton field here. Didnt think it would last long. They are growing lots of it now. Cotton knives are pretty much a thing of the past. Dexter Russell and Ontario still make fixed bladed cotton sampler examples. I find the history interesting. Happy trails!

https://www.knifemagazine.com/cotton-sa ... f-pattern/

https://knifethoughts.com/the-cotton-sa ... r-history/
David
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Morning all. Slept pretty well and late as well. Currently 42 but the temperature will be going lower throughout the day. Below freezing tonight with chance of freezing rain or snow.

Good visit with my sister, i.e. we covered a lot of ground conversationally: family, church, state, the world. Most of the city leaders and officials are retiring about the same time. They have been around for years and have done a good job at keeping our little city a going concern; a good place to live and work. There is a lot of doubt that the new batch will have the talent to maintain standards.
Time will tell.

peace & health
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Good Morning Everyone!
Looks like we are going to experience some winter weather, at least for North Texas. Started out at 25 degrees and they are calling for sleet and ice until Wednesday morning. A little too cold for me to work in the garage so I'll stay in the office and get some writing done. Hope everyone has a great day, be safe... :D
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

a wee bit over 40 and trying to rain.
Coffee was good.
5.42 just as last Monday.
This and that to do.
Looking for the magic penny!
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Good afternoon to all. Oscar, those pens and bottle stoppers are amazing! ::tu::

Currently it's 29 degrees here, which is the predicted high before drastically dropping to 6 degrees. An additional dusting of snow fell earlier today. Nothing noteworthy otherwise. Y'all have a great day!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Thanks Dan.
Here’s a couple of cigar punches I’ve turned. One in kirinite the other in antler. Punches out a clean hole in the cigar end. The opposite side has a spring loaded ejector to remove the tobacco plug.
Attachments
D57671A3-1EE3-42DF-8E73-9FC2121F8830.jpeg
E35CB4A6-777B-4727-AA58-D64BDD434151.jpeg
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Quick Steel wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:21 pm Morning all. Slept pretty well and late as well. Currently 42 but the temperature will be going lower throughout the day. Below freezing tonight with chance of freezing rain or snow.

Good visit with my sister, i.e. we covered a lot of ground conversationally: family, church, state, the world. Most of the city leaders and officials are retiring about the same time. They have been around for years and have done a good job at keeping our little city a going concern; a good place to live and work. There is a lot of doubt that the new batch will have the talent to maintain standards.
Time will tell.

peace & health
Sounds like you had a very good conversation on many subjects with your sister, as long as these conversations are kept civil, they are a good learning curve for all concerned. I doubt very much that your new public appointments with be able to keep up the good standards you have been used to. ::handshake::
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

bighomer wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:49 am Morning folks, 59 in the villages mid 80's later.
Hoping things work out with my buddy.
Think I'll go check out the hotel breakfast buffet. Yawl have a good'un and be careful out there. ::handshake:: p.s. Jerry I've tipped my hat to a bunch of ole Nam vets and welcomed them home, who knows could been your kin or buddy.
I do love me a good hotel breakfast buffet. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

OSCAR wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:03 pm Good morning everyone
Another week. 46-62 degrees with some rain. Coffee was great this morning. Thank you Cudgee for your compliment on my turning. Like buying knives, I’ve cut back on this as well. I have the equipment but the kits and other materials are somewhat pricey for a hobby during a recession. Got 2 slow cookers going with pepper steak. I’ll vacuum seal it when it cools down. Not much else planned. Take care everyone. Have a great day !
Can you elaborate on the vacuum sealing of the slow cooked meat. Do you freeze it, or what do you do with it??? I have never heard of this before. ::tu::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Cudgee, I believe in keeping all conversations civil no matter with whom I am conversing. In my sister's case, our outlooks on serious matters are sympatico. In about 7 years of living together nary a crossword has passed between us except when she gets a little reckless climbing a tall ladder or perhaps interrupts her little free time to go help a lost soul.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

cudgee wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:41 pm
Can you elaborate on the vacuum sealing of the slow cooked meat. Do you freeze it, or what do you do with it??? I have never heard of this before. ::tu::
Cudgee, you can use it for any food, not just slow cooked. I don’t buy premade bags but I get a roll and make bags to the size I want. And it’s cheaper. So you make a bag, or buy pre made. I get after market rolls from Amazon. Way cheaper. Fill it up but you need to leave at least 3 inches (about 75 mm) empty at the top . Put it in the machine and it vacuums out all the air and heat seals it. The advantage is that with no air there is no freezer burn. You then put the filled vacuumed bags in the freezer. Keeps for a year or more. I’ve kept food 16 months and it was as good as the day I made it. Here’s a few photos. I’m sure they have them in Australia as well. I bought a fairly cheap one. Works fine. The pricier ones have more features. I paid about $60 US for the sealer and I get 2 rolls, each 11 inches wide x 50 feet long for about $16. I get aftermarket rolls at Amazon. They are as good as name brand. If you have any questions let me know mate. I’d be happy to help.
Here’s one source you can research. . I got mine at a Walmart store. I opted for Food Saver brand. Some may be better but I’m not familiar with them. Food Saver is one of, if not the first. Very cheap ones I’ve seen probably don’t do as well if at all.
(To research what is available)………..
https://www.amazon.com/vacuum-food-seal ... ood+sealer
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

OSCAR wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:55 pm
cudgee wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:41 pm
Cudgee, you can use it for any food, not just slow cooked. I don’t buy premade bags but I get a roll and make bags to the size I want. And it’s cheaper. So you make a bag, or buy pre made. I get after market rolls from Amazon. Way cheaper. Fill it up but you need to leave at least 3 inches (about 75 mm) empty at the top . Put it in the machine and it vacuums out all the air and heat seals it. The advantage is that with no air there is no freezer burn. You then put the filled vacuumed bags in the freezer. Keeps for a year or more. I’ve kept food 16 months and it was as good as the day I made it. Here’s a few photos. I’m sure they have them in Australia as well. I bought a fairly cheap one. Works fine. The pricier ones have more features. I paid about $60 US for the sealer and I get 2 rolls, each 11 inches wide x 50 feet long for about $16. I get aftermarket rolls at Amazon. They are as good as name brand. If you have any questions let me know mate. I’d be happy to help.
Here’s one source. I got mine at a Walmart store.
https://www.amazon.com/vacuum-food-seal ... ood+sealer
I used to have a vacuum machine. But i had never heard of food being cooked in a slow cooker, vacuum sealed then frozen. I used to vacuum seal good steak, it would then keep in the chiller dept of the fridge for 4-5 weeks without freezing it. Good steak is never the same once it has been frozen.
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

I made a pot of homemade Jambalaya today and am freezing some of it. I don’t have a vacuum sealer. I put it in heavy duty ziplock freezer bags. You can squeeze out the air and flatten them to stack in the freezer. Quick and easy to thaw in warm water and then heat up to eat.
6 meals for couple of hours work.
BB657D26-A818-41A0-8968-DB224BEDF563.jpeg
E282279A-D1E4-4866-A865-A0870F8C38BE.jpeg
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Boji wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:02 am I made a pot of homemade Jambalaya today and am freezing some of it. I don’t have a vacuum sealer. I put it in heavy duty ziplock freezer bags. You can squeeze out the air and flatten them to stack in the freezer. Quick and easy to thaw in warm water and then heat up to eat.
6 meals for couple of hours work.
BB657D26-A818-41A0-8968-DB224BEDF563.jpegE282279A-D1E4-4866-A865-A0870F8C38BE.jpeg
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::sotb:: ::sotb:: ::sotb:: ::nod::
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Good Morning Knifers, Diner is open and a coffee awaits you. Not much happening here nor to report. So whatever you have planned enjoy and take care.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”