Let’s talk Bourbon

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Let’s talk Bourbon

Post by Boji »

Oscar, I haven’t had either of those but have had the JD Honey. It’s good, quite sweet.
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

::tu::
Boji wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:04 pm Oscar, I haven’t had either of those but have had the JD Honey. It’s good, quite sweet.
Thanks Boji
I’m going to try one.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Got a nice late Christmas present from my son in law.
Attachments
33952F61-D16C-46E0-ADAD-4B3F0FFC3476.jpeg
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

philco wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:35 am Got a nice late Christmas present from my son in law.
Understatement. That’s one of The Best bourbons made and almost impossible to come by. It’s a wheated bourbon that was acquired by Pappy Van Winkle years ago. Now produced by Buffalo Trace it remains virtually identical in its recipe to Pappy Van Winkle. I haven’t seen Weller on a shelf in years ! The only time I’ve had it in the last 30 years was at a restaurant, and I was VERY surprised to see it there. It was the cheapest variety Weller makes and it was $14 a shot.
It’s appropriated to certain liquor stores and it’s very expensive IF you can find it.
Enjoy it Phil !! It’s not just good, it’s EXCEPTIONAL ! ! P.S. I am extremely jealous !
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
SwedgeHead
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by SwedgeHead »

Doublin' Down .
Attachments
BourbonBuddies.JPG
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Nice duo SwedgeHead.
Nothing pairs as well with a good bourbon as a good cigar. My latest combination is….
Eagle Rare bourbon and a “My Father” cigar.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

OSCAR wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:15 am Nice duo SwedgeHead.
Nothing pairs as well with a good bourbon as a good cigar. My latest combination is….
You do treat yourself well Oscar. A little pricey for my pocketbook.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:48 am
Hey Jerry….
I used to smoke cheaper cigars. About 4-6 a day. I cut back to one a week so I get better cigars and enjoy them more, plus I look forward to them instead of it being a habit. It’s way cheaper than smoking so many cheaper cigars. The Eagle Rare is hard to come by. I got a decent price for a case and I don’t drink it too often. I only bought a case because it’s super difficult to find it. Should last me another three years or longer. My usual bourbon is a lot cheaper. The Eagle rare I bought over a year ago. Day to day I like Evan Williams or Henry McKenna. I couldn’t do this on a regular basis but once in awhile it’s good to treat yourself. Can’t take it with you.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

OSCAR wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:12 am
Hey Jerry….
I used to smoke cheaper cigars. About 4-6 a day. I cut back to one a week so I get better cigars and enjoy them more, plus I look forward to them instead of it being a habit. It’s way cheaper than smoking so many cheaper cigars. The Eagle Rare is hard to come by. I got a decent price for a case and I don’t drink it too often. I only bought a case because it’s super difficult to find it. Should last me another three years or longer. My usual bourbon is a lot cheaper. The Eagle rare I bought over a year ago. Day to day I like Evan Williams or Henry McKenna. I couldn’t do this on a regular basis but once in awhile it’s good to treat yourself. Can’t take it with you.
Evan Williams! Now you're talking my price range. My last couple of purchases have been Zackariah Harris out of the Glenmore Distillery in Louisville, KY.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:47 pm
OSCAR wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:12 am

Hey Jerry….
Evan Williams! Now you're talking my price range. My last couple of purchases have been Zackariah Harris out of the Glenmore Distillery in Louisville, KY.
Jerry, I’ve seen but never had Zachariah Harris.
I’m going to try it next time.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

9293DB1F-515E-43EE-B02E-F2EB80811946.png
COFFEE BREWING NOW !
BOURBON AFTER DINNER
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

I got out of my normal today, stopped at the little booze & smoke shop for smokes and saw this. It said “Take me home” so I did. It’s only 80 proof but very tasty. One of the few bourbons I can enjoy neat. On the pricey side, $59 but I would pay it again. I have feeling this bottle won’t last long!
DF95E38A-6D3E-4DF9-B01A-E8CC82867011.jpeg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Google says Walmart carries it for $35 for a fifth. I'm tempted to try it.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Just came from the liquor store where I made a beer run. I have bourbon at home but plan to try the Basil Hayden that Boji recommended next time I need bourbon. Boji, Jerry found it for $35 and I saw it for $41. Either your state has very high liquor tax or the store you got it from is way overpriced. Try another store when it’s time for another bottle. Incidentally, in extremely small print, it says distilled by James Beam. I guess they don’t use Jim for their premium line. James sounds more formal. Beam is one of my favorites but I won’t buy their flavored products. I don’t want apple, peach or honey flavored bourbon. One of my favorites from Jim Beam is called Devils Cut. Somehow they extract liquor from a used barrel and add it to the mash for Devils Cut. It adds additional flavor to it. And it’s about $26 for a fifth so it’s not ridiculously expensive. Hope to try the Basil Hayden next bourbon purchase I make.
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

What pisses me off about what I paid was because I checked the normally accurate Booz app and it was listed there for $65.99. Oops! I will check Walmart next time I’m there.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I'm tempted to give this a whirl.
Attachments
Johnny Drum.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:00 pm I'm tempted to give this a whirl.
That’s a new one on me. Never seen it or heard of it. If you try it Jerry, please let us know what you think of it.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Oh Oscar. You know I don't have a discerning palate. I either like it or I don't. Not much in between.

That said, I did pick this up at Sam's Club this morning while scrounging around for last minute Valentine gifts for Linnea. Whooo Doggie. That's got a bit of a nose burn to it. I shouldn't be surprised. It's 90 proof. Mellows out the longer you sip.
Attachments
Four Roses Small Batch.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

OSCAR wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:05 pm
jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:00 pm I'm tempted to give this a whirl.
That’s a new one on me. Never seen it or heard of it. If you try it Jerry, please let us know what you think of it.
Roger that.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Speaking of good. Linnea bought this for me for Valentines Day and Shazzam!! It's a winner. By the way, it says Bourbon but the ice cream has no alcohol taste at all.
Attachments
Brown Truffle Bourbon Ice Cream.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:11 pm Speaking of good. Linnea bought this for me for Valentines Day and Shazzam!! It's a winner. By the way, it says Bourbon but the ice cream has no alcohol taste at all.
Looks good Jerry. What store carries it ?
Also, I sometimes use (cheap) bourbon when I cook. Great taste in beef stew, pot roast etc.
If for family meal, no need to exclude the kids. Alcohol boils off at low temperature leaving the flavor behind. Even in slow cooker. I believe it evaporates at 165 degrees. When I use in 6 quart slow cooker I add 3-4 ounces. Flavor is awesome. I hadn’t tried with venison but I bet you it will be excellent.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

OSCAR wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:10 pm
jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:11 pm Speaking of good. Linnea bought this for me for Valentines Day and Shazzam!! It's a winner. By the way, it says Bourbon but the ice cream has no alcohol taste at all.
Also, I sometimes use (cheap) bourbon when I cook. Great taste in beef stew, pot roast etc.
If for family meal, no need to exclude the kids. Alcohol boils off at low temperature leaving the flavor behind. Even in slow cooker. I believe it evaporates at 165 degrees. When I use in 6 quart slow cooker I add 3-4 ounces. Flavor is awesome. I hadn’t tried with venison but I bet you it will be excellent.
I don't know. She drives into the Chicago Suburbs to shop at Trader Joe's. The carton is marked Trader Joe's.

By the Bye, I bought a bottle of Johnny Drum at Binny's Beverage Depot yesterday. It has a kick to it (101 proof) but it's good.
Attachments
Johnny Drum - Feb 15.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:01 pm
I don't know. She drives into the Chicago Suburbs to shop at Trader Joe's. The carton is marked Trader Joe's.

By the Bye, I bought a bottle of Johnny Drum at Binny's Beverage Depot yesterday. It has a kick to it (101 proof) but it's good.
Thanks Jerry. I sometimes shop at Trader Joe’s.
As for the Johnny Drum, thanks for letting me know it’s good. I’m always looking for a good bourbon that’s not overpriced due to the hype.
If you haven’t tried Henry McKenna, it’s very good at a reasonable price.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

OSCAR wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:39 pm
jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:01 pm

Thanks Jerry. I sometimes shop at Trader Joe’s.
As for the Johnny Drum, thanks for letting me know it’s good. I’m always looking for a good bourbon that’s not overpriced due to the hype.
If you haven’t tried Henry McKenna, it’s very good at a reasonable price.
I'll keep that in mind. For the time being, I have a 1.75 Ltr of Evan Williams plus that Johnny Drum I just bought, plus a fifth of Four Roses Small Batch. I think that will keep me for a while. :D

Don't take my word for it. Keep in mind that I can't tell the difference between the good stuff and rot gut.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Got this today. Deal of the century. Got it for $30 !!!
Attachments
8B66ECE1-81F0-48D0-A23A-B5DAA57070C2.jpeg

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”