Knives collect around me

Drop in and tell us a little about yourself.
Tanuki

Knives collect around me

Post by Tanuki »

F637C018-9F5F-4091-B54C-331C11D702CD.jpeg
This is a personal history in knives. It should have a Kamp King and a Boy Scout fixed blade to start things off.

Top to bottom, left (daily items) then right (outdoorsy stuff):

A busted Remington stockman's, in the same condition as when my father gave it to me in my childhood. EDC in grade school years. There was a hardware store in the family, but somehow, other than buying myself a Kamp King, it never produced any new pocket knives for me. :roll:

Gerber folding drop point. EDC belt knife. I finally stopped wearing it in professional settings while still a young man.

Cattaraugus Cutlery Yellow Boy straight razor. I can admit to seeking, restoring, and shaving with wild-caught vintage SRs. American razors are a particular amusement.

Okapi, its my letter opener. Terrible steel but I sharpened it a bit, anyway.

Two family Schrade Waldens. I just was given these by my mother-in-law. They, and my razor accumulating, got me looking for wild vintage pocket knives, especially stockmen and working knives.

On the right:

Swiss Army. This model was my EDC and camping/climbing knife for most of my adult life. I have lost a number of them.

G. Ibberson Sheffield sailor's marlinspike folder. My sailing EDC. I once got to cut a jammed spinnaker guy in a race on Puget sound. Another time I got to cut various pieces of running rigging when we were dismasted offshore of Gray's Harbor. Otherwise the spike and the shackle tool did all the work and the blade was just in the way.

So I sold my sailboat and took up kayaking. The Spyderco and Gerber were my river/rescue knives.

Now I spend a lot of time tending young Doug fir. The New Zealand Svord is an easily opened (and easily found when dropped in logging slash) working knife that lives in my Carhartt right hand tool pocket.

That's me. Razors got me onto forums. And led to the accumulation of too much honing gear. Pocket knives kept leading me to AAPK. I seldom buy online, other than on forums. It's the thrill of the hunt.
John - semi-corny, looking for a maize knife
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Knives collect around me

Post by 1967redrider »

Nice assortment and thanks for posting. ::nod:: ::tu::

::welcome:: to AAPK!

John
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Tanuki, thank you for posting not only the photo but also for the information on your knives.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Tanuki, ::welcome:: to AAPK from the Florida Panhandle!
Great picture and explanation of your pile of knives.
I've got one of those Svord peasant knives that I haven't ever used, so I just now stood up and slipped it into the bottom tool pocket
of my bibs. ::nod:: Thanks for the hint! ::handshake::
Reading between the lines you must be in the timber business in the great Northwest.
Enjoy the forum!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Welcome to AAPK. ::welcome::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
RaginCajun75

Post by RaginCajun75 »

::welcome:: to AAPK
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Nice assorment you have. Good to have you here.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr

Return to “Member Introductions”